[Discussion] BT software update 27.47.0

Comments

• Keith HoskingKeith Hosking Member Posts: 4
    edited 6 April 2017, 8:34PM
    Robert7 said:

An opportunity missed to add a padding option so the end of recordings are not missed. I also don't like the new recordings page the old one was a lot better and user friendly.

I have just had 2 bt youview+ boxes updated.  I find the new UI intuitive and easy to use.  I like it.  I find it hard to understand the hatred that some feel for it but that is their right.  By the way I am in my 70's so youth is not a reason for my preference.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 8:40AM
    Robert7 said:

An opportunity missed to add a padding option so the end of recordings are not missed. I also don't like the new recordings page the old one was a lot better and user friendly.

Robert:-

Every day is an opportunity to add padding, which YouView miss :-)

But I think NextGen has to be got working as well as CurrentGen, as far as it can be, before any of our Day Zero (from 2012) issues can be considered once more,

Keith H:-

I take it you aren't big on series recording or channel hiding, then?

This new UI really needs a good hiding :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Max BermanMax Berman Member Posts: 21
    edited 2 April 2017, 6:05PM
    Visionman said:

The thinking behind it was that the old UI looked tired and dated. Though in fairness to what you're saying Max, the implementation of the new UI is indeed awful and so they are going to change it.
    When, where and how I have no idea, but would hope to have some input on it.
    But the tiles are staying.

I'd totally disagree. I think the big icons are so badly designed they look decades old. The UI isn't even dated. It just doesn't work. Major features have been lost in this "upgrade".
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 9:04PM
    Well it has only been a few days since this minor bug fix release started rolling out and already this thread is drawing in the same types of feedback that is now spread across many threads.

I'll continue to maintain my first impressions topic (although I think it captured almost all the issues on day one and has only had small clarifications since then) and also within that topic the post where I've listed the various other topics that are pulling in the feedback (which is overall resulting in a 400% rise in the number of posts to the forum compared to before next gen launched).

Whilst I won't maintain this post here, I will paste below the various links from the other post to other topics:
  • Nigel JordanNigel Jordan Member Posts: 3
    edited 23 April 2017, 10:34PM
    Daniel4 said:

Once the program finishes if you can watch it on demand it will have a little play symbol next to the program. Scroll to the desired program and press OK and it will play.

Thanks Daniel. Yeah same as before - I meant from my view recordings
  • Keith HoskingKeith Hosking Member Posts: 4
    edited 1 April 2017, 10:06AM
    Robert7 said:

Roy

I do record series but I have never been bothered about channel hiding.
  • Nigel JordanNigel Jordan Member Posts: 3
    edited 1 April 2017, 9:04PM
    Keith1 said:

Well it has only been a few days since this minor bug fix release started rolling out and already this thread is drawing in the same types of feedback that is now spread across many threads.

I'll continue to maintain my first impressions topic (although I think it captured almost all the issues on day one and has only had small clarifications since then) and also within that topic the post where I've listed the various other topics that are pulling in the feedback (which is overall resulting in a 400% rise in the number of posts to the forum compared to before next gen launched).

Whilst I won't maintain this post here, I will paste below the various links from the other post to other topics:

Thanks for the links. Didn't realise others had this OSD on an earlier v number. Lots of good info - thanks. Slightly surprised to see the order of priority is to tackle functionality before missing features (other than hide channels). I personally would rather have the missing buttons returned before improving button press counts and appearance
  • Adi BabyAdi Baby Member Posts: 1
    edited 3 April 2017, 10:12AM

Yep - I like it.  

I would like a more definitive date for the return of the "Discover" functionality, as this is how my children navigate the programmes.

The interface is clearly more responsive  - and I am looking forward to the further developments which I am hoping will support Internet Channels and Now TV entertainments packages etc.

Re the other  comments, and one thing I do agree with  - there should be a setting somewhere to show things in "Classic View,"  a lot of people were happy with the old layout, and it seems a shame to upset them.

• wgc131wgc131 Member Posts: 5
    edited 4 April 2017, 7:57AM
    Visionman said:

This is a BT update and, speaking of BT updates, all the complaints about this current UI on the BT Community forum have been posted on one thread. Now who'd'a thunk of doing that?
    I used to enjoy helping people on here (as did others) before the kerfuffle. Now I rarely get the chance to do so. I miss it.

You say "the tiles are staying". So if we're not going to be allowed to revert to the pre-tile version, could we at least have the tiles in list format, in the way iPlayer does it for dowloads. The function of the home page for which iPlayer uses a block tile format is very different from ones's own recordings where the user already knows what is there and wants to scroll down to find it.
  • Rob8Rob8 Member Posts: 5
    edited 19 April 2017, 8:35AM
    I'd be happy with a classic view, just means next time I won't buy a BT box, or use BT again. Don't appreciate the patronising it's for your own good attitude when I specifically bought that box from BT as I liked the simple interface.
  • Monkey13Monkey13 Member Posts: 3
    edited 1 April 2017, 1:00PM
    Monkey13 said:

Gone straight to the this version from the old style.
    Ok I get why it was done because the interface was starting to look a bit dated. Now i thought it was supposed to be quicker not sure I notice that. Looks ok and no real objections on layout etc..

However the gripes. Why no channel removal? I don't want 10sd bt sports channels as well as the 10hd ones I might watch. I'm suspicious that this is something that the broadcasters have asked for.

Second why can't you go round the guide back to the start again? Another step back. If I'm right in the middle of the channel numbers I have to go up then start again to go down.

My old system was channel up/channel down to page up or down all the way round to see what is on. Now I either have to go to 1 and then down or the other way. So more steps and decreased functionality.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 1:08PM
    The original link (https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/bt-software-update-27-47-0) states
    "Retail customers with T2110 and T2210 boxes will also receive the new Next Generation software." which does not mention the  BT T1000 retail.

Presumably that is just an omission the following link currently does have  27-47-0 against the BT T1000 retail box.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 305 ✭✭
    edited 3 April 2017, 6:43PM
    skiller said:

This is my first experience of NextGen having had my T1000 updated a few hours ago.

I can't comment on the good/bad UI as I haven't had enough usage of it yet, but I would like to make one major comment.

Since the update, whenever I attempt to load any online player,such as BBC iPlayer or the BT Player, I get the "Loading" screen for about 1-2 seconds, then it goes back to the live TV channel I was previously watching.

I have done the usual resets - router reboot (it's Ethernet-connected) and box 8-second reboot.

Oh yes, Barry. On closer inspection it was a selection of Players at fault and some, such as All4 and Demand5 were working fine.

A Maintenance Mode 4 reset did the trick for me (as suggested by Roy, below - TVM, Roy!).
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Member Posts: 137
    edited 1 April 2017, 2:06PM
    Got this update delivered yesterday and impressed so far. More slick and modern, fitting in more closely with the format used by the on demand players
    Understand some of the criticism regarding the tile layout so maybe the option to switch to a list view would make it more acceptable to all.
    The decision to delay the hide channel feature for now is a curious one but good that previous settings have at least been carried over. Like others, i hid channels with poor picture (although weirdly they used to be ok) but can't test whether they have been resolved by restoring the channels as it can't be undone. Would be nice if hidden channels didn't appear at at all when searching for programmes, no need for them to appear at all.
    As there is a dedicated guide button I do think MyTv should be the default, rather than going right past the players every time.
    In the guide page, defaulting to the second channel down is weird and needs correcting if you tend to scroll across the main 6 channels like me, it keeps hopping up and down when you select programmes at the top and bottom.
    Hopefully these will all be looked at, but nice work overall.
    edited 1 April 2017, 2:07PM
    Got this update delivered yesterday and impressed so far. More slick and modern, fitting in more closely with the format used by the on demand players
    Understand some of the criticism regarding the tile layout so maybe the option to switch to a list view would make it more acceptable to all.
    The decision to delay the hide channel feature for now is a curious one but good that previous settings have at least been carried over. Like others, i hid channels with poor picture (although weirdly they used to be ok) but can't test whether they have been resolved by restoring the channels as it can't be undone. Would be nice if hidden channels didn't appear at at all when searching for programmes, no need for them to appear at all.
    As there is a dedicated guide button I do think MyTv should be the default, rather than going right past the players every time.
    In the guide page, defaulting to the second channel down is weird and needs correcting if you tend to scroll across the main 6 channels like me, it keeps hopping up and down when you select programmes at the top and bottom.
    edited 2 April 2017, 5:02PM
    Got this update delivered yesterday and impressed so far. More slick and modern, fitting in more closely with the format used by the on demand players.

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 614 ✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 3:04PM
    Rob8 said:

I'd be happy with a classic view, just means next time I won't buy a BT box, or use BT again. Don't appreciate the patronising it's for your own good attitude when I specifically bought that box from BT as I liked the simple interface.

It's not about BT really Rob. This is Youview's responsibility of which BT is a shareholder like TalkTalk.
    I would imagine the idea of this functionality change came from Youview management & was accepted by BT , TalkTalk etc as a way forward without them realising the severe consequences of the changes. I accept that I could be wrong though.
  • nidgepnidgep Member Posts: 11
    edited 11 May 2017, 8:39PM
    BT YouView box updated yesterday to 27.47. Box has been great until this update. It's terrible. It might be HtML5 but the UI design is awful, clunky and slow. iPlayer and ITV player wont work either. Way too many clicks to achieve the same thing, images everywhere don't add anything to the user experience.  It wasn't broke so didn't need fixing. Where is the option to choose how the UI renders (E.G. list mode), at least users could have been afforded a transitional option.
    In short, we hate it. Please sort it out as soon as possible.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 3:41PM
    Rob8 said:

Any theorising would need to take account of the enthusiastic creation by BT and TT of whole new skins for NextGen, which 'accept' does not quite convey :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 1 April 2017, 3:52PM
    nidgep said:

BT YouView box updated yesterday to 27.47. Box has been great until this update. It's terrible. It might be HtML5 but the UI design is awful, clunky and slow. iPlayer and ITV player wont work either. Way too many clicks to achieve the same thing, images everywhere don't add anything to the user experience.  It wasn't broke so didn't need fixing. Where is the option to choose how the UI renders (E.G. list mode), at least users could have been afforded a transitional option.

Suggest you reset your box. Mine isn't slow at all and no probs with on demand.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 3:58PM
    nidgep said:

Next Gen has been called many things on here, but clunky and slow aren't two of them. Agree with stokesd3.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 1 April 2017, 3:58PM
    nidgep said:

Wont i then lose my recordings, schedule, internet connection and the like?
    edited 1 April 2017, 4:00PM
    nidgep said:

We have fibre broadband, and the box was fine before the update. The EPG has frozen more than once already. Changing channel by entering the channel number directly is also slow.
    edited 1 April 2017, 9:07PM
    nidgep said:

Clunky is my perception of the UI, it's not an improvement unless you like images to convey information. Take a look at the settings. It's not obvious that there are further settings off screen.
    edited 1 April 2017, 4:06PM
    nidgep said:

See
    https://support.youview.com/youview-b...
    It depends on how far you have to go to resolve the issue on what will be removed
    edited 1 April 2017, 4:10PM
    nidgep said:

Agree that a down arrow on the settings page would make it clearer ;-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 4:15PM
    nidgep said:

Press & hold the power button on the box for 7 secs. This is known as a soft reset. This doesn't delete any of your recordings or change any settings.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 1 April 2017, 4:51PM
    Visionman said:

The thinking behind it was that the old UI looked tired and dated. Though in fairness to what you're saying Max, the implementation of the new UI is indeed awful and so they are going to change it.
    When, where and how I have no idea, but would hope to have some input on it.
    But the tiles are staying.

Decades old hehe. Did you never programme a VCR in the old days :-D
  • Mister TMister T Member Posts: 7
    edited 7 April 2017, 8:38PM
    Visionman said:

Bug fixes:

• Fixes intermittent audio issue when fast forwarding internet channels.
    • A Fix to ensure pause works correctly on internet channels when attempting to fast forward or rewind.
    Is this the BT Youview answer to Windows 8?, the tiles add nothing to the overall operation and in the MyTV section seriously detract, the old UI was much better. Deleting a recording that has just been viewed is now unbelievably cumbersome, I think this is the worst "update" I have ever seen, sort it out please.
    edited 7 April 2017, 8:38PM
    Visionman said:

Bug fixes:

• Fixes intermittent audio issue when fast forwarding internet channels.
    • A Fix to ensure pause works correctly on internet channels when attempting to fast forward or rewind.
    Agree that when stopping a programme the focus should return to that programme's tile. That way you can delete or move straight on to the next episode. Alternatively, back button to take you to all your programmes.