[Discussion] BT software update 27.47.0

Comments

• DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 639 ✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 10:07PM
    nidgep said:

BT YouView box updated yesterday to 27.47. Box has been great until this update. It's terrible. It might be HtML5 but the UI design is awful, clunky and slow. iPlayer and ITV player wont work either. Way too many clicks to achieve the same thing, images everywhere don't add anything to the user experience.  It wasn't broke so didn't need fixing. Where is the option to choose how the UI renders (E.G. list mode), at least users could have been afforded a transitional option.
    In short, we hate it. Please sort it out as soon as possible.

Although I do like the mini guide when you first turn the box on. I don't like how it stays on screen unless you change channels or press close on the remote. Would have been good if it went off screen after 20 or 30 seconds.
    So far I seem to be liking the new update.
    There is one or two things that I do miss that's not on the new update like hide channels and when you press the info button it no longer give you an opinion to start recording.
    The My TV part could do with a little improvement but apart from that the new look seems fine.

Darren
  • Mister TMister T Member Posts: 7
    edited 18 April 2017, 6:14PM
    Visionman said:

The thinking behind it was that the old UI looked tired and dated. Though in fairness to what you're saying Max, the implementation of the new UI is indeed awful and so they are going to change it.
    When, where and how I have no idea, but would hope to have some input on it.
    But the tiles are staying.

Style over substance?
  • nidgepnidgep Member Posts: 11
    edited 1 April 2017, 6:15PM
    nidgep said:

BT YouView box updated yesterday to 27.47. Box has been great until this update. It's terrible. It might be HtML5 but the UI design is awful, clunky and slow. iPlayer and ITV player wont work either. Way too many clicks to achieve the same thing, images everywhere don't add anything to the user experience.  It wasn't broke so didn't need fixing. Where is the option to choose how the UI renders (E.G. list mode), at least users could have been afforded a transitional option.

OK thanks. Done that now. Settngs, recordings etc, still intact. Box still really sluggish. Takes 5 seconds or so to move from page to page in recordings. Initial load of schedule took over 8 seconds to load.
    iPlayer and ITV Player still won't load at all. They each display a 'loading' and then appear to 'time' out and instead of returning to the list of players,  return to the TV.
    The box is a BT Humax DTR-T2110.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 6:33PM
    nidgep said:

Try putting your box into standby, then pull the power. Leave it for 1 minute then power it back on. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 9:23PM
    nidgep said:

7 seconds isn't long enough. Did the box actually reset?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 1 April 2017, 9:32PM
    nidgep said:

I would say so given that it took a while to even begin to restart. Single blue light, blank screen............eventually second blue light and loading......

Before posting, I did power off using rocker switch but only waited 10-15 seconds before switching back on.

TBH the update has so far ruined the best PVR I've had.
    edited 1 April 2017, 9:46PM
    nidgep said:

Please do it again (soft reset) until the box turns itself off. Don't touch the rocker switch.
  • Mister BMister B Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 April 2017, 7:55PM
    Visionman said:

Bug fixes:

• Fixes intermittent audio issue when fast forwarding internet channels.
    • A Fix to ensure pause works correctly on internet channels when attempting to fast forward or rewind.
    Completely agree with this.  Why change the logic that worked just fine. This is crazy now.  BT - please fix this!
    edited 1 April 2017, 9:59PM
    nidgep said:

I can do but.....

I did the rocker switch power off, then restarted the box.
    When the performance was no better, and the BBC iPlayer / ITV Player were still not working,....

I then did the 'soft reset' mentioned previously. Which had no noticeable effect.

Will post back once the soft reset has been done again....
  • Michael FarleyMichael Farley Member Posts: 2
    edited 3 April 2017, 6:51PM
    This update is terrible. It started downloading mid-evening while we were trying to watch a recorded programme, causing our box to freeze. We couldn't pause or fast-forward and it made a programme that was being recorded crash. It would have been nice to have a message pop up on screen to notify us that the download was about to start and to give us the option to delay it.

It doesn't add any new functionality (eg being able to view a list of recorded and scheduled programmes on the app would be very useful) but it has made the following things worse or broken them:
    • iPlayer stopped working (when you select it kicks you back to live TV with no warning or error message). This has since been fixed with a factory reset, but the fact I had to do this at all suggests the update wasn't tested properly before roll-out.
    • The updated user interface was also much slower with a random delay every time I pressed a button on the remote (sometimes a couple of seconds, sometimes 10-15 seconds, especially when navigating to a different section).This has also been improved by the factory reset but it still isn't as smooth as the old version.
    • You can't sort myTV alphabetically any more, only chronologically (who honestly thinks "I can't remember the name of the programme I'd like to watch but it was definitely on a week ago last Thursday"?)
    • When a recorded programme finishes, it doesn't prompt you to delete it any more so you have to navigate back to it on the myTV screen and do it manually.
    • You can't hide unwanted channels any more (the channels I had previously hidden have automatically been restored by the factory reset I had to do to fix iPlayer).
    • When you start the box, the menu that pops up on screen doesn't disappear automatically.
    edited 1 April 2017, 11:13PM
    nidgep said:

OK. So re-done a soft reset. Again I held the power button until the box turned itself off, and then held the button for a further 30 seconds before releasing it.

Box restarted. Loaded OK.
    Guide / Recordings / Schedule do seem bit more responsive and in turn more usable but not what I would call fast by any stretch of the imagination.

iPlayer / ITV Player still wont work but 4OD and Demand 5 work OK.
    edited 1 April 2017, 11:22PM

This update is terrible. It started downloading mid-evening while we were trying to watch a recorded programme, causing our box to freeze. We couldn't pause or fast-forward and it made a programme that was being recorded crash. It would have been nice to have a message pop up on screen to notify us that the download was about to start and to give us the option to delay it.

It doesn't add any new functionality (eg being able to view a list of recorded and scheduled programmes on the app would be very useful) but it has made the following things worse or broken them:

• iPlayer stopped working (when you select it kicks you back to live TV with no warning or error message). This has since been fixed with a factory reset, but the fact I had to do this at all suggests the update wasn't tested properly before roll-out.
    • The updated user interface was also much slower with a random delay every time I pressed a button on the remote (sometimes a couple of seconds, sometimes 10-15 seconds, especially when navigating to a different section).This has also been improved by the factory reset but it still isn't as smooth as the old version.
    • You can't sort myTV alphabetically any more, only chronologically (who honestly thinks "I can't remember the name of the programme I'd like to watch but it was definitely on a week ago last Thursday"?)
    • When a recorded programme finishes, it doesn't prompt you to delete it any more so you have to navigate back to it on the myTV screen and do it manually.
    • You can't hide unwanted channels any more (the channels I had previously hidden have automatically been restored by the factory reset I had to do to fix iPlayer).
    • When you start the box, the menu that pops up on screen doesn't disappear automatically.
    "It started downloading mid-evening while we were trying to watch a recorded programme, causing our box to freeze."
    YouViews don't download mid-evening unless you check for such. Which would interrupt a recording. 
  • Michael FarleyMichael Farley Member Posts: 2
    edited 2 April 2017, 12:29AM

I didn't check for updates (why would I say "It would have been nice to have a message pop up on screen to notify us that the download was about to start" if I had voluntarily started it?). I don't know anything about the update schedule. All I know is that at about 10pm on Thursday evening my box stopped working and the following morning the update had been installed.
  • chris munrochris munro Member Posts: 1
    edited 14 April 2017, 7:12AM

My box has just updated and the guide is much harder to see (as I have vision problems) with the program ghosting behind rather than out of the way in the corner.

The recorded program screen is much harder to read due to multiple pictures.

Is there anyway to remove it?

I agree. The new software is much harder to read and is unnecessary. I think very poor that you are not given the choice to update. I recently purchased a second box and now sorry that I did. I find the pictures distracting. There should be the option of list view.
  • Monkey13Monkey13 Member Posts: 3
    edited 2 April 2017, 12:50PM

I don't think the two are related. As I understand it updates don't happen till after midnight. Just coincidence IMHO. It locked up in the evening and then later in the night it updated.
  • Mark20Mark20 Member Posts: 17
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:05PM
    wgc131 said:

Just received my completely unwanted update. I was happy with it before so why would I want 'improvements' which are merely confusing and seem to add nothing. Please, please, please, can we have an update to restore the list view as an option. The picture boxes are useless, the titles are truncated, information about recordings is either less or hard to find. Many of us prefer text and lists.

Agreed although I would like to keep the 14 day guide.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 April 2017, 7:16AM
    wgc131 said:

Just received my completely unwanted update. I was happy with it before so why would I want 'improvements' which are merely confusing and seem to add nothing. Please, please, please, can we have an update to restore the list view as an option. The picture boxes are useless, the titles are truncated, information about recordings is either less or hard to find. Many of us prefer text and lists.

Hi Mark - YouView has always had a backwards as well as forwards guide/EPG that thus shows 7 days back from now, today, and 7 days forwards from now - hence overall a 14-15 day EPG. You would only not get the backwards part of the guide if you had no network connection (in the old gen or next gen software).
    edited 2 April 2017, 12:22PM
    Visionman said:

This is a BT update and, speaking of BT updates, all the complaints about this current UI on the BT Community forum have been posted on one thread. Now who'd'a thunk of doing that?
    I used to enjoy helping people on here (as did others) before the kerfuffle. Now I rarely get the chance to do so. I miss it.

Do you have a link for that forum, I'd like to see what's being said there as well.
    edited 2 April 2017, 12:27PM
    Visionman said:

This is a BT update and, speaking of BT updates, all the complaints about this current UI on the BT Community forum have been posted on one thread. Now who'd'a thunk of doing that?
    I used to enjoy helping people on here (as did others) before the kerfuffle. Now I rarely get the chance to do so. I miss it.

Hi Mark - there are various topics relating to the tiles. A key one started by YouView is here. For other topics that cover the feedback on next gen see my list here :)
    edited 2 April 2017, 12:43PM
    wgc131 said:

My mistake Kieth, I had assumed that next gen had given us a 14 days forward EPG but thanks for clarifying. That said a 14 days forward EPG would definitely be welcome in my household.
    edited 2 April 2017, 12:58PM
    Visionman said:

Thank you Kieth - some bedtime reading me thinks.
    edited 2 April 2017, 1:19PM
    wgc131 said:

Indeed, extending the forwards part of the EPG would be helpful for some people. It is unlikely to happen though as the EPG is primarily just the Freeview data and that only runs to 7 days ahead. As such to extend further would require drawing on other (potentially less well managed and disparate) data sources. It has been done on other systems in the past but I doubt it would come to YouView any time soon.
    edited 2 April 2017, 1:20PM

Apologies if this is on the wrong place but I'd like to ask a question.

Prior to the next gen update I had numerous hidden channels and they still appear to be hidden but of course there is no obvious way of unhiding them. Ideally I would prefer to keep them hidden but was wondering what might happen if channel numbers change or new ones are added, would my guide be updated correctly?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 April 2017, 2:02PM

Probably. If a hidden channel moves, you might find it uncloaks, though.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • nick3nick3 Member Posts: 55
    edited 3 April 2017, 6:44PM

all i can say is they should give the owner of these devices to update or not and also give us the choice to revert back to the old firmware till they come up with some thing suitable but still give owners the choice to update or not
  • Mister TMister T Member Posts: 7
    edited 6 April 2017, 7:55PM
    Visionman said:

Bug fixes:

• Fixes intermittent audio issue when fast forwarding internet channels.
    • A Fix to ensure pause works correctly on internet channels when attempting to fast forward or rewind.
    Since my previous post regarding MyTV I have noticed another problem, BBC iPlayer is constantly freezing (not buffering) I have checked using two other devices to make sure it is not my broadband, they are OK and it didn't happen before the update, so another problem.
  • Nick MillsNick Mills Member Posts: 3
    edited 2 April 2017, 5:32PM

Can I add to this? I understand the tiles are staying but one of my recording series has 30+ programs and 27.47.0 requires the user to move back 1 instance at a time. Could a page down v or page back < or go to the end << function be added?
  • Chips2Chips2 Member Posts: 74
    edited 2 April 2017, 5:49PM
    Got my update today. On initial impression it's good. Seems a bit faster when navigating. I like the bottom of the screen tv guide for the channel you're currently watching, and being able to scroll the guide to neighbouring channels to see what's on for the next several programmes. I like the My TV which brings all on demand, recent recordings on to one small bottom of the screen menu. My recordings is a bit more spread over multiple screens than before but doesn't really bother me. I like the richer graphical look all around. I don't like the inability to scroll beyond the start or the end of the TV guide, like you could before. I'm sure something like this could be fixed in future updates. And of course I need to hide channels but I believe that will be put back in at some point. Everything seems better integrated for getting intuitively between guide, recordings and on demand. Decent start and I look forward to the inevitable improvements in coming updates.
  • Golden OldieGolden Oldie Member Posts: 26
    edited 8 April 2017, 1:25AM
    Visionman said:

The thinking behind it was that the old UI looked tired and dated. Though in fairness to what you're saying Max, the implementation of the new UI is indeed awful and so they are going to change it.

Yep, on both counts. At least with a VCR we could insert a tape, press play, and it would duly oblige.
    Imagine, if the VCR was capable of YV/NG logic. On inserting the tape, it would automatically FF to the end of the tape, stop, then eject itself.
    The user would then be required to re-insert tape and press rewind, in order to play their recorded program from the start.
    After watching said program, in order to delete, repeat as above, then back to square one, to watch your next recording.
    To record your next program, take out the latest NG version of the Radio Times. Pick one of the new pretty pics (now called tiles throughout), guess what it might refer to, then type in the truncated +code and/or timer settings , and hope for the best. :-)

Maybe a little absurd and OTT, but not far off our current NG predicament. !
  • Golden OldieGolden Oldie Member Posts: 26
    edited 10 April 2017, 10:24AM
    Visionman said:

Yep, on both counts. At least with a VCR we could insert a tape, press play, and it would duly oblige.
    Imagine, if the VCR was capable of YV/NG logic. On inserting the tape, it would automatically FF to the end of the tape, stop, then eject itself.
    The user would then be required to re-insert tape and press rewind, in order to play their recorded program from the start.
    After watching said program, in order to delete, repeat as above, then back to square one, to watch your next recording.
    To record your next program, take out the latest NG version of the Radio Times. Pick one of the new pretty pics (now called tiles throughout), guess what it might refer to, then type in the truncated +code and/or timer settings , and hope for the best. :-)

Maybe a little absurd and OTT, but not far off our current NG predicament. !