[Discussion] BT software update 27.47.0

Comments

• Paul BeckwithPaul Beckwith Member Posts: 3
    edited 11 April 2017, 4:50PM
    Oh i hate this update. It's changed my using of the box from a satisfied one to an annoyed one at best. The tiles showing my recordings are barely understandable, just very confusing, and unintuitive. What used to take me 10 seconds and not much thought, now takes ages. I want the old text only system back. What's the deal when you've finished watching a recording too? You press stop and then want to delete it, but have to re-navigate all through the tiles again to try and find what you just watched just so you can delete it. It leaves me feeling hateful of the system and wondering about ditching it for a new service provider. I hate it so much.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 639 ✭✭
    edited 4 April 2017, 8:48AM
    Daniel4 said:

Once the program finishes if you can watch it on demand it will have a little play symbol next to the program. Scroll to the desired program and press OK and it will play.

Have had the update to my G4 box just 4 days now and so far its working fine.
    Still not got the update to my older T1000 box that I now just use as a Freeview PVR and for the catch up players but I not to bothered if the T1000 is gets the update or not as I not sure if the old T1000 will cope with the new update. As since the last update although the T1000 still works the new BBC red button + service seems to load a few seconds slower than on the G4 box.
    I would like to see the return of the episode and season number when you press the info button for it would be handy to know what season you are watching incase you have forgotten. I had been recording Grays Anatomy off AMC HD and on old software it used to tell you what episode and season you was on now it don't always tell you.
    I know I'm about to start season 6 of my recordings. and have at lest 3 weeks worth to catch up on. I also see Grays Anatomy has temporary stopped on AMC after season 6. Hope it will return to AMC soon.

Darren
  • Pete FearnsidePete Fearnside Member Posts: 7
    edited 4 April 2017, 12:49PM
    I'm with you all the way, Paul. What are these people playing at? We seem to be choosing to put up with a complete lack of consideration for us - the customers, by them - the manufacturers. We are being treated with such a complete lack of consideration it makes my blood boil! I find myself thinking about the old "sale of goods act". My recorder function has been tampered with to such an extent that it is no longer the product I bought in the first place!
  • nick3nick3 Member Posts: 55
    edited 4 April 2017, 12:50PM

I'm with you all the way, Paul. What are these people playing at? We seem to be choosing to put up with a complete lack of consideration for us - the customers, by them - the manufacturers. We are being treated with such a complete lack of consideration it makes my blood boil! I find myself thinking about the old "sale of goods act". My recorder function has been tampered with to such an extent that it is no longer the product I bought in the first place!

im with you all its like what Pete just said but if we had changed it the customer then the box would be defunct of any guarantee remaining but these companies do it then its alright which is wrong and im going to repeat what i said in one of my post give the customer the choice whether to update or not but first put the devices back to how they where before this horrible update
  • Martin FarmiloMartin Farmilo Member Posts: 7
    edited 7 April 2017, 9:40PM
    Visionman said:

Bug fixes:

• Fixes intermittent audio issue when fast forwarding internet channels.
    • A Fix to ensure pause works correctly on internet channels when attempting to fast forward or rewind.
    I came here specifically to ask/complain about the loss of focus with watched recordings. After stopping the play, I have to go back into recordings and hunt for the recording I've just been watching in order to delete it. It's quite obvious nobody actually tried this out before releasing it, or if they did they simply looked at the pretty GUI and decided it 'looked better'. I see others have referred to this issue too. Is it likely to be fixed? I'd rather have the old GUI personally than this.

Another issue is that when waking the box from sleep, the GUI stays on the screen instead of just dropping back to live TV as it used to.
  • Mark20Mark20 Member Posts: 17
    edited 9 April 2017, 1:31PM
    My fears from my original post have just been realised, I have just deleted a group of recordings by accident. I was watching one episode of a group of 7 and pressed the stop button as it ended, I then pressed the delete button and because the NextGen UI had sent me back to the main page of MyTV the whole group was deleted. Now I'm not sure it would have made any difference but it's also worth mentioning that although I have the Confirm Delete setting set to ON I didn't get the message, the group was just deleted. I do however get the message when deleteing a single recording.
    Yes I made the mistake especially considering I had raised the possibility in an earlier post but it's not a mistake I ever made with the previous version of the UI.

On a different note and after several days of using the NextGen UI I would like to reiterate my dislike of the introduction of the new tiles/thumbnails we now see in MyTV. Not only is there a waste of space taken up by the large tile in the top left corner but when you hover over a tile, especillay the smaller ones, the picture is pretty much covered by the additional text that appears which surely makes the concept of the tiles rather pointless. It perhaps wouldn't be quite so bad if the additional text was informative but of course it isn't as there simply isn't sufficient space for it to be meaningful, it doesn't even scroll. Admittedly in the case of a group it does give the number of remaining episodes. As I understand it we are simply going to have to get used to tiles largely because they are now the standard even though I'm not personally aware of any other PVR UI that uses them. In any event I would like to add my voice for the call to at least offer us, the customer, the choice of a list based MyTV perhaps from within the settings and especially one that at the very least mimics the layout and operation of the previous version.

As several other posters have already mentioned the wrap around function in the guide has gone with NextGen, even I'm surprised at how annoying this ommision is.

Finally, at least for now, I find I'm also missing the picture in picture we used to get when viewing the guide or MyTV. I realise it wasn't strictly picture in picture but I can't think of a better description. On the other hand I find the ghost image that now sits behind the guide so distracting that I've switched it off, at least we have the option in this case.
  • roy hroy h Member Posts: 2
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:27PM
    wgc131 said:

Just received my completely unwanted update. I was happy with it before so why would I want 'improvements' which are merely confusing and seem to add nothing. Please, please, please, can we have an update to restore the list view as an option. The picture boxes are useless, the titles are truncated, information about recordings is either less or hard to find. Many of us prefer text and lists.

New upgrade makes a total mess of access to recordings.  For heavens sake bring back a clearly legible LIST!
  • tom newtontom newton Member Posts: 1
    edited 10 April 2017, 10:16AM
    wgc131 said:

Just received my completely unwanted update. I was happy with it before so why would I want 'improvements' which are merely confusing and seem to add nothing. Please, please, please, can we have an update to restore the list view as an option. The picture boxes are useless, the titles are truncated, information about recordings is either less or hard to find. Many of us prefer text and lists.

I hate how the recordings now look. Just give us the choice on how we want it to look please. Also not liking the tiles. And being able to chose how far into the recordings was useful.
  • john martinjohn martin Member Posts: 1
    edited 4 April 2017, 8:44PM
    Visionman said:

Bug fixes:

• A Fix to ensure pause works correctly on internet channels when attempting to fast forward or rewind.
    As previous comments bring back or allow us to roll back to the old set much more user friendly. This typifies the lack of interest by bt in Thier customers. BT are impossible to deal with
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 April 2017, 10:15PM
    I just wondered if one of the forum's problem solvers could help this lady who seems to have been overlooked... https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/signal-strength-the-youview-explanation?topic-reply-lis...
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 April 2017, 10:31PM
    jimb said:

I just wondered if one of the forum's problem solvers could help this lady who seems to have been overlooked... https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/signal-strength-the-youview-explanation?topic-reply-lis...

Kind of you, jimb.

Not much to go on there, though, so I have asked her for some hard information that will focus things a bit.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Roy FlelloRoy Flello Member Posts: 1
    edited 5 April 2017, 2:21PM
    Visionman said:

Bug fixes:

Heartily agree. Allow us to change back or just scrap this annoying new system.
  • Liz6Liz6 Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 April 2017, 8:03PM
    Visionman said:

Bug fixes:

Cannot understand why anyone thought the new interface for recordings was a good idea - clearly not road-tested. It may look very pretty and clever but functionally useless. For example, sometimes when recording episodes from a series, you might change the recording time to avoid clashes. With the new menu system, you have to search around to find episodes rather than all being listed together as was the case prior to the update.  It is incredibly frustrating  - please bring back the previous listing system, at least as an alternative. New should mean better - not this time.
  • impydaveimpydave Member Posts: 32
    edited 24 September 2017, 10:05AM
    Has anyone else noticed a problem with the BT 4K box with regards to the sound settings section?

Twice now I have gone in to the "Picture and Sound" tile in settings only to have part of it missing? I get the option to change resolution and HDMI sound only? all other settings don't show, so the sound delay etc....It's brought back by powering off at the mains but has anyone else seen this?
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Member Posts: 137
    edited 9 April 2017, 1:43PM
    Ouch was going so well until it froze twice. On both occasions the OS noticed and forced a reboot after 5 mins. First time trying to watch a programme while an internet channel was streaming, second time couldn't resume a programme from pause. Guess i need to do a factory reset...

I have also had the problem with picture breaking up on certain channels, which a hard reboot always fixes for a few days. Did get this on the old software but I had been ok since the factory reset a few months ago. Tried separating the box and router as suggested on the other thread above. My signal shows 100% on both counts.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 10:25AM
    stokesd3 said:

Ouch was going so well until it froze twice. On both occasions the OS noticed and forced a reboot after 5 mins. First time trying to watch a programme while an internet channel was streaming, second time couldn't resume a programme from pause. Guess i need to do a factory reset...

I have also had the problem with picture breaking up on certain channels, which a hard reboot always fixes for a few days. Did get this on the old software but I had been ok since the factory reset a few months ago. Tried separating the box and router as suggested on the other thread above. My signal shows 100% on both counts.

"I have also had the problem with picture breaking up on certain channels ~ ~ My signal shows 100% on both counts."

There have been reports of picture break-up when the signal is too strong. The signal strength scale stops at 100%, but there is no way of knowing if it is higher than that. It is possible that yours is much higher, "swamping" the tuners.

It might be worth investing in an attenuator to reduce your signal strength. I had a similar problem to yours and I experimented with fixed value attenuators. I got best results with one of 12 Ohms, but at the time I didn't know of the existence of these things:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerial-Coaxial-Cable-Variable-Attenuator/dp/B007A0S8L6

These allow you to adjust the amount of attenuation to suite your conditions.
    edited 6 April 2017, 10:29AM
    stokesd3 said:

Actually need a booster where i am and used to be around 80% strength on old software. Unfortunately the new scale used on next gen will make it more difficult for peeps to spot this issue.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 10:40AM
    stokesd3 said:

I agree with you that the NextGen scale makes it more difficult to spot the issue.

Did you get the 80% reading after you fitted the booster? 80% signal strength used to be considered very high on the old scale.

The problem with boosters is that they amplify noise as well as the signal, but that wouldn't seem to be an issue in your case because you have a signal quality of 100%
  • Ed JenningsEd Jennings Member Posts: 3
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    I've had enough. I've cancelled our BT television contract. I have a freesat box and an old Humax freeview box anyway.
  • Max BermanMax Berman Member Posts: 21
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Incidentally, have any whizz kids out there worked out a way to return a BT Youview box to the original pre 27.47.0 software?
    edited 21 April 2017, 12:05PM

I've had enough. I've cancelled our BT television contract. I have a freesat box and an old Humax freeview box anyway.

There goes one BT customer. Hope the shareholders who voted for this "upgrade" are listening.
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:01AM
    stokesd3 said:

Yeah it was after. Actually got a professional to redo it for peace of mind with proper coax etc
    Had actually kind of ruled out signal issues since it was ok for months. Figured as repowering resolves, this is more related to software. Thanks for the advice though i may get one of these attenuators for giggles :-D
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:04AM

Incidentally, have any whizz kids out there worked out a way to return a BT Youview box to the original pre 27.47.0 software?

This has been asking more then once it's impossible. Even if is was possible youview don't release the software as a download which would be needed if it was possible to flash the box. Its a non starter.
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:04AM

Surely by replacing the entire contents of the hard drive with that of a pre 27.47.0 updated drive, it would work albeit at the expense of your recordings?
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:15AM

There is no way to get the software onto the hard drive without access to said software as a download. The only way it could possibly be done is if you had access to two boxes that are identical and swapped the hard drive but that would be pointless as you may as well use the other box. If you put a brand new hard drive in the box it would format the hard drive and install next gen. If you had imaged the hard drive before install you would have had a fighting chance.

Only other possibility is if a friend has the same identical box you could image there drive.

That's in theory as most equipment incodes a hard drive to a specific box so it would be a gamble.

The best chance would have been if you imaged the drive but it is too late for that now.
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:18AM

Also it might just auto update again anyway...?
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:20AM

The software almost certainly isn't stored on the HDD. There will be a chip that stores the software which is flashed when the box is updated. To roll back you would need the old software and a way of flashing the box, possibly via USB. Neither of which is possible.
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:18AM

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. If someone could post online an image of a pre 27.47.0 drive, I could remove the drive, hook it up to my mac and replace the contents of my drive with the image and bung it back in. I'm guessing I'd need to start the box up with the ethernet unplugged and disable automatic updates.
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:20AM

Oh. If there is a chip that stores the software separate to the HD that does sound a bit more tricky. The other option is that BT for fear of losing a lot of customers offers a choice of software until they've finally had a chance to finish 27.47.0 and test it.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:21AM

As Ceg said it is not stored on the HDD.  The software is stored on a NAND flash chip.