[Discussion] BT software update 27.47.0

Comments

• joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:23AM
    stokesd3 said:

Ouch was going so well until it froze twice. On both occasions the OS noticed and forced a reboot after 5 mins. First time trying to watch a programme while an internet channel was streaming, second time couldn't resume a programme from pause. Guess i need to do a factory reset...

I have also had the problem with picture breaking up on certain channels, which a hard reboot always fixes for a few days. Did get this on the old software but I had been ok since the factory reset a few months ago. Tried separating the box and router as suggested on the other thread above. My signal shows 100% on both counts.

I think that there would have been more reports of the problem if it was a software issue.

Putting an attenuator after a booster might work, but a variable booster would probably be a better solution.

I had a digital receiver before Digital Switchover and I had picture break-up problems. I put a variable booster in the aerial line and it cured the problem, but only on its lowest setting. If I turned it up the picture break-up problem became much worse. After DSO they boosted the power of the digital signal and our TV became unwatchable. Removing the booster improved things, but it wasn't properly cured until until I put in an attenuator.

TV signals change all the time - even with the weather. A long shot, but have you tried removing the booster?
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Member Posts: 137
    edited 6 April 2017, 6:15PM

I've had enough. I've cancelled our BT television contract. I have a freesat box and an old Humax freeview box anyway.

Despite the niggles, It's still the best freeview recorder out there with or without subscription IMHO. Would be surprised if anyone chucked it in the bin because of a few tiles haha ;-)
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:24AM

Incidentally, have any whizz kids out there worked out a way to return a BT Youview box to the original pre 27.47.0 software?

There is a chip as you call it like i said it's a gamble and worse case you could brick the box so it's completely up to you if you want to take the risk but you have been warned. Best case scenario it may work so obviously proceed at your own risk
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:27AM
    stokesd3 said:

Ouch was going so well until it froze twice. On both occasions the OS noticed and forced a reboot after 5 mins. First time trying to watch a programme while an internet channel was streaming, second time couldn't resume a programme from pause. Guess i need to do a factory reset...

I have also had the problem with picture breaking up on certain channels, which a hard reboot always fixes for a few days. Did get this on the old software but I had been ok since the factory reset a few months ago. Tried separating the box and router as suggested on the other thread above. My signal shows 100% on both counts.

Yeah it's naff with no boost. I think user reports are low because you need more specific conditions to cause it. The idea of the router proximity interfering is an interesting one, I'll know for sure as time goes by...
  • Max BermanMax Berman Member Posts: 21
    edited 6 April 2017, 2:01PM

Incidentally, have any whizz kids out there worked out a way to return a BT Youview box to the original pre 27.47.0 software?

Hey. I'm no whizkid! I'd need pretty solid instructions from an actual whizzkid as to how to proceed with this. :)
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:30AM
    stokesd3 said:

Oh well. It was just a thought . . .
    edited 6 April 2017, 4:50PM

I've had enough. I've cancelled our BT television contract. I have a freesat box and an old Humax freeview box anyway.

Definitely and people would need to bin there bathrooms if tiles bothered them that much
  • Max BermanMax Berman Member Posts: 21
    edited 6 April 2017, 2:00PM

My bathroom tiles don't prevent me from operating the taps and toilet effectively.
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:36AM

To be honest it's all therectical i honestly think because of the chip the hard drive would really format and put next gen on it but i have just told you of all possibilities as i see them.
  • WayneWayne Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:42AM

The software is flashed to a NAND chip. See Stephen's comment here..

https://community.youview.com/youview...
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:43AM
    stokesd3 said:

Hey you never know i could still come back after a few months of messing about and say you were right lol cheers mate
  • MaryMMaryM Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:39AM
    I have a BT Youview DTRT2110 500GB bought from a retailer rather than provided by BT or TalkTalk.  

There has been a lot of discussion about the look and feel of the tiles.  I preferred the old lists - much clearer - but will probably get used to the new GUI.  My problem is that basic performance has deteriorated markedly.  
    1) It takes several seconds from pressing a button on the remote to something happening (so you try again and then it works twice!)
    2) The picture and sound completely disappear when watching live TV for seconds at a time.  
    3) On recordings, the picture becomes pixilated.
    4) Catchup has stopped working (iPlayer etc)

These faults introduced by the software update make the PVR not fit for purpose.  Is there a fix?  If not, as the PVR is still in warranty, how do I get my money back?
    edited 6 April 2017, 3:18PM
    https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

Maintenance mode I'm afraid. Full reset most likely be needed but you'll lose recordings and you won't be able to hide channels again...For now...
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:50AM
    stokesd3 said:

I doubt it, but I think that the issue is with the signal rather than the box. TVs seem to be able to cope with signal problems better than PVRs. Have you ever owned a Topfield? They are seriously fussy about the signal that they receive.
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:52AM

Can you clarify what the taps and toilet are in this scenario hehe I can certainly delete programmes ok if that's the flushing bit :-D
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:57AM
    stokesd3 said:

Maintenance mode I'm afraid. Full reset most likely be needed but you'll lose recordings and you won't be able to hide channels again...For now...

No, the full Factory Reset (MM Option 5) is only the 'most likely' option when there are signs of recordings or schedules index corruption, which is not the case in the above. (Pixellation on recordings is not a sign of index corruption).

But try successively options 0, 2, 4 until one works. And always talk to YouView Support before deciding that a Factory Reset is your only option.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:57AM
    stokesd3 said:

That I have not. Seems to be some good reviews, any model in particular? I will keep you posted on the signal issue it can take a week or two to manifest. Just wish i could test the channels again I had hidden, if they're still cack i wouldn't be able to remove them again ugh
    edited 6 April 2017, 12:17PM
    stokesd3 said:

It's a TF5800 with MyStuff custom software. Over ten years old and still in use for SD broadcasts. Recordings are in easy to navigate lists. :-)

They don't make 'em like they used to. In fact they don't make 'em at all. :-(
    edited 6 April 2017, 12:43PM
    stokesd3 said:

Peeps with on demand issues and/or slow UI response reported little change when trying the milder reset options but agree that it doesn't hurt to work your way up through the less destructive ones first :-)
  • Lynn DonoghueLynn Donoghue Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 April 2017, 12:44PM
    Visionman said:

Hi everyone. The tiles are staying.

Well that shows great interest in what the users want. Aren't we lucky.
    edited 16 April 2017, 8:20PM
    Visionman said:

I assume Visionman doesn't represent Youview though so it's a bold claim. Don't think the idea of a switchable view has officially been ruled out.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 12:57PM
    Visionman said:

I'm a user, stokesd3, just like you. :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 6 April 2017, 12:59PM
    Visionman said:

Indeed haha Just avoiding confusion for people who may have read that as the final decision :-D
    edited 6 April 2017, 1:08PM
    stokesd3 said:

I know. I still miss my TiVo which had a short existence in the UK in its original form. Ability to record by keyword and oh... sweet padding... except when the padding actually caused conflicts but i lived with that
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 1:09PM
    stokesd3 said:

I also advocate another way, which is to put a box into standby and then pull the power. Leave it for a minute and then turn it on again.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 6 April 2017, 1:12PM
    stokesd3 said:

What i do to sort temporary signal problems but it always seems so wrong doing it while it is running. Got stuck on the loading dots when i did it last night but another go sorted it phew
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 1:56PM
    stokesd3 said:

Visionman, that is a rather agricultural way of doing some of what the recommended 8-second soft reset does, with a side trip into uncontrolledness.

I suppose that sometimes the uncontrolledness might conceivably be beneficial, but mostly it isn't.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 6 April 2017, 3:18PM
    stokesd3 said:

Always loved the term agricultural to describe it hehe Still preferable to hitting it with a spade though ;-)
  • Matthew PhillipsMatthew Phillips Member Posts: 45
    edited 7 April 2017, 7:50PM
    I got the update about a week ago and must say I'm surprised at the level of critcism it has received - yes it's not perfect but it's far from the disaster I was expecting. Their are even some aspects I liked.

On the downside:
    I have some issues with my sight and neither of the new epg colour / font settings are as pleasent to use as the old one. Too much blu and white and the divisions between sections in the list are more vague. I turned the background image off straight away. Can't say I miss the TV in the corner much but it is a nice touch to have it there. I can live with it but I much prefered the old layout.

The animations that accompany button presses seem a tad slow and clunky and ultimately they aren't neccesary. It would probably be better to instantly move from tile to tile.

I don't like how you get the partial GUI at the bottom of the screen when you initially turn on the box - it should go straight onto the channel itself with nothing else on screen imho

On the upside:
    The tiles you can browse at the bottom of the screen for channels/programmes and apps are a nice addition that do add attraction to titles and also ease of access.

MyTV: So for the great controversy I think this will depend on how much you use this function. I basically don't use it often at all. I have a grand total of one series currently recording so I don't have a problem with this layout. My partner records more stuff but she quite likes it and hasn't made any complaints. I can see if you have pages and pages of recordings this could be more of an issue though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what YouView has up their sleeve for the future.
  • Kenneth JenkinsKenneth Jenkins Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 April 2017, 7:56PM
    Visionman said:

Bug fixes:

• Fixes intermittent audio issue when fast forwarding internet channels.
    • A Fix to ensure pause works correctly on internet channels when attempting to fast forward or rewind.
    Hi
    I have just noticed the new update to the software and I have to agree with the previous comments that although the tiles for my recordings looks pleasing it is functionally a step backwards as it makes it very difficult to find the programs you want to watch as it covers many pages and doesn't show all the title of the program until you click into the tile .
    I think this software update is detrimental to the overall usefulness of the software that should either be reversed or you have the ability to return to the old style screen as an option