upgrade to new box ?

davidwdavidw Member Posts: 38
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Support
I have a humax t1000 at the mo and I am thinking of buying a 4k youview box I am not with bt  so the question is would it be worth it or should I stick with my older box ? thanks

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 March 2017, 9:42PM
    Would you change your user name slightly please? As we already have a member on here called david.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • davidwdavidw Member Posts: 38
    edited 29 March 2017, 9:58PM
    there you go happy lol
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Cheers, davidw

A T4000 will zip along compared with a T1000, and has a bigger hard drive.

I have a T1000 still going strong, as well as my T2000, but T1000s are aging now, and if this one was all I had, might be starting to be a worry.

We might also hope that Netflix will bring its 4k service to YouView in the future - no guarantees though - though perhaps you can already get it on your UHD TV, if you have one.

But even if you don't, the T4000 will operate perfectly well on an HD TV, so if you can get it for a good price, go for it.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 March 2017, 10:52AM
    So you would get a 1Tb drive plus 50fps output. Certain other things only work with a T4000 box (like surround sound on Netflix via HDMI and of course 4K content) plus things like ff/rew on ip channel recordings although that won't be any benefit if you don't subscribe to BT
    edited 30 March 2017, 10:58AM
    Thanks lads  my isp is vm so I understand there will be things I can not use on my box, as well as speed and the things you have mentioned I am thinking of  the feature. As far as I am aware my current box could not handle 4k even if there was any
  • nick3nick3 Member Posts: 55
    edited 1 April 2017, 4:35PM
    hi davidw im with talktalk and bought a couple second hand t4000s 4k boxes and the ip channels work fine i like the rest of the channels i did notice compared to the talktalk d370 box the picture quality on the 4k box is slightly sharper i feel and i only got a full HD tv at 1080p but thats my opinion and own fews
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 March 2017, 12:44PM
    Roy1 said:

Cheers, davidw

I have a T1000 still going strong, as well as my T2000, but T1000s are aging now, and if this one was all I had, might be starting to be a worry.

We might also hope that Netflix will bring its 4k service to YouView in the future - no guarantees though - though perhaps you can already get it on your UHD TV, if you have one.

But even if you don't, the T4000 will operate perfectly well on an HD TV, so if you can get it for a good price, go for it.

The uhd t 4000 box is already compatible with Netflix ultra HD. You can even pay for it on your bill if your a BTtv customer if you want to.
    edited 30 March 2017, 12:58PM
    Roy1 said:

Cheers, davidw

hi Daniel can it work with out being a bt customer like a stand alone app using the t4000 any help much appreciated
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 March 2017, 1:12PM
    Roy1 said:

Cheers, davidw

@nick - I can't 100% confirm as I am a BT customer but I am nearly 100% certain it can (I don't subscribe to Netflix through my BT bill as I already had it before it came to the boxes, I just log in with my ongoing Netflix subscription details and it works fine).
    edited 30 March 2017, 1:17PM
    Roy1 said:

Cheers, davidw

thank you Scott much appreciated i could try it for a month and see but thank you
    edited 19 April 2017, 9:35AM
    sorry for some more questions but other than the new box being 4k and quicker is the picture any better  with sd and hd channels than my t1000 ? and I did read the t4000 runs hot and is noisy can anyone shed any light on this ? thanks
    edited 1 April 2017, 4:43PM
    davidw said:

sorry for some more questions but other than the new box being 4k and quicker is the picture any better  with sd and hd channels than my t1000 ? and I did read the t4000 runs hot and is noisy can anyone shed any light on this ? thanks

hi davidw to me its not noisy and the picture to me is sharper but thats me
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 604 ✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 4:47PM
    davidw said:

Speed & storage (& size) , to me, are the major differences I find. I can't say I've noticed any difference in picture quality between the T1 , T2 & T4 boxes.
    As for noise & heat can't say I've noticed anything.