Further developments with targeted advertising

jimbjimb Posts: 1,180Member ✭✭✭
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Discussion
"YouView is working on a project to offer addressable linear or dynamic ad insertion..."

See: http://www.digitaltveurope.net/679002/youview-develops-adsmart-style-targeted-advertising/

Just what we've all been waiting for - three cheers for the cloud.

Comments

• CegCeg Posts: 184Member
    edited 1 May 2017, 8:33AM
    Well that's creepy, another reason to avoid the update! I think I'll make sure I'm prepared to jump ship.

Had to laugh at:
    “We are testing infrastructure so we’re in a position where we can change our UI quite readily – every two weeks if we wanted..."
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,964Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    No big deal. Virgin media have done this for years and if it means more money available for youview to spend on development of the products that's a bonus. Last I checked virgin still where in business so they clearly have customers still.
  • momistmomist Posts: 139Member
    Eek!  It looks like we may be looking for a new platform sooner than I expected.  Even if they do sort out the NextgenUI, I resent the whole idea of 'targeted advertising', especially when I bought retail to avoid any BT or similar influence.  This IS creepy:

“Not only do we know what they’re viewing, we know the journeys to get to that content, where they were in the UI, how long they spent in the UI, what actions they took in the UI. We also collect all key operational data from the set-top box, so we know crashes in the set-top box, we know errors, we know different things about the box.”

Cook said YouView’s aim is to keep customers satisfied at the same time as delivering value to its shareholders – BT, TalkTalk, the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Arqiva.

• joneshjonesh Posts: 1,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2017, 10:31AM
    momist said:

Eek!  It looks like we may be looking for a new platform sooner than I expected.  Even if they do sort out the NextgenUI, I resent the whole idea of 'targeted advertising', especially when I bought retail to avoid any BT or similar influence.  This IS creepy:

“Not only do we know what they’re viewing, we know the journeys to get to that content, where they were in the UI, how long they spent in the UI, what actions they took in the UI. We also collect all key operational data from the set-top box, so we know crashes in the set-top box, we know errors, we know different things about the box.”

Cook said YouView’s aim is to keep customers satisfied at the same time as delivering value to its shareholders – BT, TalkTalk, the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Arqiva.

"It looks like we may be looking for a new platform sooner than I expected"

Won't all connected platforms that don't charge a monthly fee do the same thing?

Mind you, Sky and Virgin Media do charge a monthly fee and it seems that they already do it. What's left?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,618Member ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I seem to remember YouView were going to use and were allegedly in negotiations with Skys AdSmart arm for dynamic advert delivery. I wonder what happened there? 
    edited 31 March 2017, 11:13AM
    momist said:

I think it all depends on the Freeview shareholders and what they want to do. I'd happily go back to a non-connected box in order to avoid this type of data harvesting.

It seems this is the way the pay TV industry is moving/has moved. I would be very miffed had I bought a retail Youview box.
    edited 3 April 2017, 2:04PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting. I seem to remember YouView were going to use and were allegedly in negotiations with Skys AdSmart arm for dynamic advert delivery. I wonder what happened there? 

Cutting out the middle man!?

I guess we all now know the reason for the move to the cloud.
  • scottscott Posts: 2,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2017, 11:47AM
    momist said:

Not just Pay TV. Internet, Mobile Phones, everything that is connected (even cars) will harvest information to give you a personalised service. It has been around for years and will only get more prevalent. Anybody that thinks they can avoid it for long is fooling themselves unless you move to a desert island with no technology.

Big brother is and has been watching you for a long time, even when you walk down the street or use a cash machine..

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    I bet YouView's database is full up with records of people going back,back,back,back,back.... to the first episode of every series, and all the developers sitting round puzzled, and wondering how to monetize it.
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • scottscott Posts: 2,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2017, 11:53AM
    Roy1 said:

I bet YouView's database is full up with records of people going back,back,back,back,back.... to the first episode of every series, and all the developers sitting round puzzled, and wondering how to monetize it.

Put an advert after every back click....now there's an idea ;-)
    edited 3 April 2017, 1:05AM
    momist said:

I seek to minimise this type of data harvesting, if this means moving to an unconnected box or setting up a couple of DVB-T2 tuners in a computer I will do that.

A lot of people are very laissez-faire with their personal information, and I don't understand why.
    edited 31 March 2017, 12:37PM
    momist said:

"if this means moving to an unconnected box or setting up a couple of DVB-T2 tuners in a computer I will do that."
    Then your ISP will know. A computer gathers far more data on you than a connected box.
    edited 31 March 2017, 12:42PM
    Roy1 said:

Ahhh... 100 adverts to get to 1 episode. Now that is an idea. Hey! We might be on to something here!
    edited 31 March 2017, 12:46PM
    Roy1 said:

"Got RSI? Ring this number now! (With your good hand, of course)"
    edited 31 March 2017, 12:52PM
    Roy1 said:

Never mind having RSI because of visionmans 100 advertisements people are more likely to get RSI trying to find the oldest episode of a series that they recorded lol
    edited 31 March 2017, 1:50PM
    momist said:

A TV recording computer doesn't need to be connected to the Internet.

What exactly would my ISP know about my TV viewing through TVheadend? And how are they getting this information?

Computers can be set up to gather a lot less information than is described in that link.
    edited 3 April 2017, 5:52AM
    Roy1 said:

Yes, that's what I meant :-)
  • skillerskiller Posts: 295Member ✭✭
    edited 31 March 2017, 5:34PM
    Roy1 said:

I've only had NextGen a day or so, but I've noticed that holding down the left or right arrow button for 1 or 2 seconds usually takes me to the respective end points of a series. You can't see the focus moving through the line of episodes, but when you let go, you can see it's moved a long way, usually to the end.

Not ideal, but certainly better than clicking once for each item.
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Posts: 246Member
    edited 2 April 2017, 10:49PM
    Several months ago I said that the big empty space at the top of the newgen guide was probably intended for advertising, and I was called all kinds of idiot and told I was just being paranoid :~)
    I wonder if certain people will be apologising?
    *doesn't hold breath.....*
    edited 2 April 2017, 10:49PM

Several months ago I said that the big empty space at the top of the newgen guide was probably intended for advertising, and I was called all kinds of idiot and told I was just being paranoid :~)
    I wonder if certain people will be apologising?
    *doesn't hold breath.....*

No. And no one called you an idiot, either.
    It does explain why all this is happening, and Youview's apparent reluctance to sort anything out (as opposed to just 'listening'). I wouldn't be surprised the infamous 'big boxes' on MyTv pages are destined for advertising as well.
    Alas, we are no longer the customers, we are now the commodity being readied for market........
  • skillerskiller Posts: 295Member ✭✭
    edited 2 April 2017, 10:23PM
    Roy1 said:

Just an update to the above:
    When I try holding the left or right button now, I can actually see the focus moving. This is different (and better) behaviour from what I described in my previous post above. I have performed a Maintenance Mode 4 reset between then and now (to fix another problem) which may or may not have caused the behaviour to change.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,180Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 April 2017, 10:42PM

It does explain why all this is happening, and Youview's apparent reluctance to sort anything out (as opposed to just 'listening'). I wouldn't be surprised the infamous 'big boxes' on MyTv pages are destined for advertising as well.
    Alas, we are no longer the customers, we are now the commodity being readied for market........

I suspect that it's also why YouView's "Data Promise" has gone out of the window. I think YouView have not been up front about this, which I tried to explain here: https://community.youview.com/youview...
    edited 3 April 2017, 10:50AM

jimb - "I suspect that it's also why YouView's "Data Promise" has gone out of the window."

Boo hoo... says a sensationalist whos also started four other threads trying to stir the loins of an already sensitive Community.
    If you keep up this behavior there is a serious chance you could be banned for it.
    edited 2 April 2017, 11:11PM

I couldn't care a less I have self control I'm not going to buy something because I seen advertising on a set top box. I see advertising every day in some form or another and I certainly don't buy every product I see advertised. People don't seam to complain about ITV player, all 4 or demand 5 serving advertising to users.How does one even know if this advertising is not just going to be more targeted on catch up players. Fact is no one knows at present as nothing official has been announced yet and the reason people are suspecting stuff is because of there hate for next gen when people don't know how its going to turn out. I really think this thread should be closed. Its purpose seams to be here for the sake of annoying members who are already annoyed.

Fact is even if this plan goes ahead people are able to either change provider if there a IP customer or buy a new set top box if there a retail customer if there obviously not happy.

No one has a gun to there head saying you have to use a youview box. The user has FREEWILL and if there not happy can switch to a alternative product simple as that really.
    edited 3 April 2017, 1:09AM

Actually some of us don't use the catch-up players apart from the BBC iplayer because of the adverts, in fact our box is mostly used for recording the odd things we might want to watch on commercial channels simply so we can skip through the adverts, our time to too precious to waste on watching all that gubbins. In fact we've worked out that we don't actually need an internet connection except for the iplayer and Netflix, and seeing that my lovingly refurbished and updated Fox T2 seems to have found a new home in my partners studio, we've replaced those functions with a cheap (£29) Android tablet with a full HD socket which, to be honest, is much much faster to connect and gives us identical picture quality, so we just never connect the Youview box to the internet any more......
    edited 3 April 2017, 12:47AM

Actually some of us don't use....

[Any number of YV options and/or functions could be inserted here.]
    Which is a point you often seem to miss, Mr Howes.
    " I really think this thread should be closed. Its purpose seams to be here for the sake of annoying members who are already annoyed."

No, it's essentially a press release by Youview telling us how proud they are of their technology and probably is the reason behind NextGen.

The emperor's new clothes do look amazing!
    edited 3 April 2017, 12:34PM
    Ceg said:

" I really think this thread should be closed. Its purpose seams to be here for the sake of annoying members who are already annoyed."

No, it's essentially a press release by Youview telling us how proud they are of their technology and probably is the reason behind NextGen.

That is not youviews website in the op and one should not believe everything on the internet. I will believe it when youview publish it on there own website or these forums other then that I take it with a massive pinch of salt. I stand by what I said in regards to closure. I'm guessing you are annoyed about next gen. I have nothing more to say to anyone in this thread and have flagged this thread to mods.
    edited 3 April 2017, 11:58AM
    Ceg said:

What is it with you and reporting posts to mods? There's nothing that breaks the rules in this thread, it just appears that anything that doesn't conform to your point of view is verboten.

Stir the pot, report the post and run away.