Welcome to the YouView Community Forum - please be aware that from the 23rd of June you will be unable to create or reply to threads here and existing content will no longer be accessible from the 1st of July onwards. You can find more information about our support site changes here.
MyTV ordering is a bit crazy.
Hi. My BT 2100 updated last night & whilst initially I found it cumbersome, I am now beginning to like it. However, the MyTV ordering is a bit crazy. I record Pointless everyday (I know!) but the thing is that I now have 109 recordings & I like to watch them in date order. I now have to scroll back through all 109 recordings to get to the oldest in order to play it. As if this wasn't enough of a pain, when I've watched it I then have to scroll back through all 109 recordings yet again in order to delete it. Life's too short! Why can't the ordering be reversed? If I record a box set of a series of 8 episodes I don't want to watch the last episode before the first. Illogical! Please either reverse the ordering or give us the option to choose.
What is missing is a single flyback keypress that will take you to the oldest episode, for which I have proposed right arrow, on the 'wraparound' basis.
Personally I would like to see YouView do more than the bare minimum and provide much better functionality and efficiency, e.g.
Whilst some of the above is perhaps a little more difficult that other points, it should all be achievable and arguably worthwhile to deliver sooner rather than later
- on entering a series do not simply place the user on the oldest or newest tile, but place them on the oldest unwatched tile by default
- implement a wrap around feature so one can go left off the oldest to the newest and vice versa
- on exiting a recording actually return the user directly to the episode tile they launched the playback from so one can immediately delete it
- provide a settings option to potentially further refine the first point, i.e. although the above seems the best default it may not be best for all so why not let the user choose between, oldest unwatched, oldest, newest for the initial landing spot
- potentially introduce a binge watching option, maybe as an action, so instead of just playing the selected episode if one selects this playback mode then it just starts the next episode when the current one finishes playback
Season/Series shortcuts would not only help with quicker folder navigation, but also help curate the series folder in chronological order no matter the date recorded.
To explain: My long running series record started in season 7 of frasier. When the whole series came to a finish, channel 4 immediately started broadcasting it again from the very beginning and my series record picked it up and stated filling in the gaps of the missing series recodings.
This was great accept that the ordering was out of sync with what I had already recorded, as they are placed in the folder by date recorded, not season & episode number. Coupled with a few previously missed recordings this has led to a very confused order to this series folder.
If Youview could introduce season/series ordering in the folders it would be very helpful.
Agree with all the points made by Keith and Joe and hope that something changes or I'll feel that I'm wasting my life trying to find something to watch on the telly. Also worried that the handset will wear out due to the number of times that I have to press the left button.
But every one of them, near as dammit, faithfully reproduced in NextGen anyway.
Few of the things on Keith's lists were technically difficult to do - it was just that YouView management were set against them being done.
I see no demonstration that this stance has changed :-(