Setup Now Impossible Without Broadband After NextGen Update?

User OneUser One Member Posts: 1
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Support
So your BT 2100 updated today (while plugged into BT isp), and you do a factory reset to sell or gift it to someone without broadband?

It now appears to be impossible for them to get past the 'Connect your broadband' page. It insists on detecting an internet connection before it will continue. I've tried it with the ethernet unplugged right from the reset, so it shouldn't be expecting connection.

That was never the case with all the BT_Humax 1000 and 2100 installations I've done in the past. There was always an option to skip this.

Comments

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 494 ✭✭
    edited 19 April 2017, 9:35AM
    Oh dear :-( .
    So without broadband the box is now useless, that really is not very good at all.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 4:54PM
    I would never recommend obtaining a YouView without an internet connection, as that is not the products intention.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 5:15PM
    I didn't know you could set them up without being connected to the internet in the first place, not that I've ever tried.
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    To be honest, I have no idea if Next Gen will reboot without an internet connection and I'm not going to try, either.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 5:27PM
    Visionman said:

To be honest, I have no idea if Next Gen will reboot without an internet connection and I'm not going to try, either.

You have reminded us in the past Visionman that YouView boxes are hybrid devices. They are meant to be connected to the internet and to an aerial. They won't work as intended if either connection is missing.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 7:22PM
    Visionman said:

They may not work as YouView intended, but if I wanted a straight watch, pause, rewind, record and replay PVR, I would expect a YouView box to be this.

I would not expect augmented EPG data, the backwards EPG, pictures on my thumbnails, or software updates.

But I would expect it to work for all OTA purposes.
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
    edited 1 April 2017, 7:29PM
    Visionman said:

Then try it, Roy.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 8:09PM
    Visionman said:

Are you serious what are you expecting your youview boxes to grow legs and walkout the door. I'm happy to try it after my IP channel recording finished.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    As you've identified, Setup now requires internet access and you need to agree to the Terms and Conditions (previously you could run the box without agreeing and it wouldn't access any internet services).

After Setup though, you are free to pull the internet access from the box and it will operate offline as it did in 1st Gen (though new parts such as the main menu and MyTV tiles will obviously not be able to load data and imagery respectively, whereas before they didn't need to)
    edited 1 April 2017, 8:22PM
    Stephen10 said:

As you've identified, Setup now requires internet access and you need to agree to the Terms and Conditions (previously you could run the box without agreeing and it wouldn't access any internet services).

After Setup though, you are free to pull the internet access from the box and it will operate offline as it did in 1st Gen (though new parts such as the main menu and MyTV tiles will obviously not be able to load data and imagery respectively, whereas before they didn't need to)

Cheers Stephen you saved me the bother thanks
    edited 1 April 2017, 8:32PM
    Stephen10 said:

Thanks for confirming Stephen.
    "After Setup though, you are free to pull the internet access from the box and it will operate offline as it did in 1st Gen (though new parts such as the main menu and MyTV tiles will obviously not be able to load data and imagery respectively, whereas before they didn't need to)."
    Which still wouldn't be recommended, as from time to time boxes sometimes need a reboot, even if it only be a soft one.
    So my view is - If a user doesn't have an internet connection, don't buy a YouView, and thats been my recommendation for years.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 8:38PM
    Stephen10 said:

My reading of Stephen's explanation was that one needs an internet connection for the initial box setup only, i.e. unless you factory reset the box (or perhaps some maintenance mode resets) then you only need a network connection once when you first unbox the product and do the initial setup. As such once past the initial setup further reboots or power cycles will all be fine even if there is no network connection.

So whilst a YouView box is now even more thought of as a networked device it can still work as a very good PVR without a network connection (once it has been setup the first time). Arguably if one does not intend to ever network the box one might ask the question is there a better PVR for such a use case; perhaps the answer then though is no, a YouView box is still the best for standard Freeview PVR duties?
    edited 1 April 2017, 8:55PM
    Stephen10 said:

Yes, YouView is classed as 'Best in Class' in all its duties and still has no equal.
    But I still stand by my view, particularly in regard to NextGen, as one would just be buying a hobbled box. Though I would like it noted this is my personal opinion only. 
    edited 1 April 2017, 8:54PM
    Stephen10 said:

I agree with vision man one of the main purposes is internet catch up for retail customers and IP channels for BT and talk talk both of which need internet. One other thing how would one complete a maintenance mode reset without internet if they have a issue with the box. There is too many reasons not to recommended a youview boxes if one is not going to plug in the internet.
    edited 1 April 2017, 10:30PM
    Visionman said:

Don't be ridiculous Daniel. They only use their legs if there's an emergency.
    edited 1 April 2017, 10:30PM
    Visionman said:

Why wouldn't they grow legs? They've already got feet :-)
    edited 1 April 2017, 10:34PM
    Stephen10 said:

We've just moved to a new house, and had no landline, and therefore no fixed Ethernet internet, for 12 days.

It was bad enough having to run the box off an indoor aerial till the aerial man came; I would not have been best pleased if the box had declined to work at all.

Visionman: as you can see, I did run it with no internet. And I am grateful to Stephen for explaining the difference in my experience, where it did work, as I did not do a Setup during this period.
    edited 1 April 2017, 10:37PM
    Visionman said:

Let's give them arms and a mouth while we are at it then we can sell the story to the dude who created family guy to go with his story about a talking Teddy bear I can see it now it will be his next big flop oh wait I mean hit.

It will be a story of a youview box that comes alive and seeks revenge on it's owner for recording Titanic and Britains next top model... Oh wait that was me.

I best grab my wife quickly and go into hiding.

thankfully ITS JUST A MOVIE.
    edited 1 April 2017, 10:47PM
    Stephen10 said:

So you had no landline, no internet and no aerial?
    My god Roy, what have you moved into, a shack? :)
    edited 1 April 2017, 10:48PM
    Visionman said:

"Let's give them arms and a mouth while we are at it"

That doesn't happen until NextGen II.
  • SlySvenSlySven Member Posts: 15
    I've just got an upgrade from Virgin Media to a SuperHub 3 which I stupidly though would fix the issue with the original SuperHub not working with YouView :o - and my Retail Humax DTR1000 (long out of any warranty even if I was the original owner) had enough connectivity to download the software update in maintenance mode (which it had not done so before I think) the trouble now is that although the device is seen by the router and it sees the router (and the yellow activity LED flashes a little bit on the RJ45 connector on the back) it cannot see the Internet - so refuses to complete the setup process - so it has gone from only having Over-The-Air functionality to effectively bricking itself and I cannot access any of my recordings (running close to 95% of the Disk) that I was preserving - thank you not at all YouView. :#

IS THERE A WAY TO FACTORY RESET IT BACK TO THE OLDER SOFTWARE (WHILST RETAINING THE RECORDINGS) UNTIL I CAN FIND OUT WHY YOUVIEW IS STILL *****D UP ON MY VIRGIN MEDIA BROADBAND?

Reviewing the URL/IPs mentioned in http://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/11446115/#Comment_11446115 I can see that I cannot PING www.humaxtvportal.com though the others associated with switching on and software updating do seem to be ping-able...

• teejay77teejay77 Member Posts: 1
    Tim C said:
    So without broadband the box is now useless, that really is not very good at all.
    I have just installed a BT2100 - a replacement for a failed 2100 bought and installed in January '20. It was OK back then to skip the broadband thing (I installed for a friend who has no broadband). But with current firmware it will no longer allow broadband-skip. Apparently this is because some Ts&Cs have to be accepted before proceeding further. So I took the box back home, connected it to my broadband, accepted the Ts&Cs then took it back to friend's house where it happily completed its installation, found all its TV channels and Bob's yer uncle! Works without broadband exactly like the first box did.
    edited 28 July 2020, 6:36AM
    Visionman said:

So you had no landline, no internet and no aerial?
    My god Roy, what have you moved into, a shack? :)
    It was one of those crapshoots called an NHBC-standard new-build home 😛

And we are just about to do it again. They say you spend around 5% of the price of the property getting it completed even after the builders have ‘finished’, and I can believe this. Luxury built-in appliances that don’t include a washing machine, and in the new house, not even a dishwasher, as standard.

’Provision for’ an outside light to the garden, but as for £40-£70 worth of actual lamp? Forget it. Turfing? Carpeting? And nobody gets broadband on day 1, because BT Overreach don’t move that fast.

But the gift that keeps on giving is the cabling for all this stuff, all beautifully provisioned, though we did need a TV aerial to consummate the bunch of wires dangling in the loft. While other residents skipped this, and had dishes, equally well provisioned for. And a panel by the BT master socket in the lounge, running Ethernet cabling to the other four rooms? In three of which, YouView boxes stand ready to receive? Eat your heart out, PLA makers.

Now, where did I put those curtain rods?
    teejay77 said:
    Tim C said:
    I have just installed a BT2100 - a replacement for a failed 2100 bought and installed in January '20. It was OK back then to skip the broadband thing (I installed for a friend who has no broadband). But with current firmware it will no longer allow broadband-skip. Apparently this is because some Ts&Cs have to be accepted before proceeding further. So I took the box back home, connected it to my broadband, accepted the Ts&Cs then took it back to friend's house where it happily completed its installation, found all its TV channels and Bob's yer uncle! Works without broadband exactly like the first box did.
    I guess @Stephen knows his stuff, yes?
    @Stephen rocks.

Its been explained that to boot up a hybrid YouView box one needs both an internet and aerial connection to boot it and without the two it won't. 

After that (boot up) one can run it without internet, but where form, function and features are concerned it would be severely crippled compared to its full capabilities.
    Visionman said:
    @Stephen rocks.

Its been explained that to boot up a hybrid YouView box one needs both an internet and aerial connection to boot it and without the two it won't. 

After that (boot up) one can run it without internet, but where form, function and features are concerned it would be severely crippled compared to its full capabilities.
    And this is yin to the yang of running a YouView box with internet but no aerial connection, where you need a one-time tuning connection so the itv Hub and All4 Players will work.

(Next door’s front garden)

Though in both cases, that ‘one time’ will need repeating from time to time, due to various happenstances.......

Or you could run a YouView box without either, a mechanism for watching off hours and hours of recorded programmes without the distractions and temptations of anything new 😛