27.46.0 update

mrrenshawmrrenshaw Member Posts: 2
edited 28 September 2017, 9:58AM in Feedback
What fresh hell is this?
I was perfectly happy with the Youview front end. It did what I wanted it to do.
I installed the update and now have something that I find irritating and frustrating to use.
What happened to the 'Discover' function? This was how we browsed the categories we enjoyed and found new programmes, now we seem to have no way of doing this.
We are now considering a switch to to Virgin who everyone else on our street seem to be very happy with. Devasted that I downloaded this utter piece of tosh.

Comments

• DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Next gen is fantastic. There is some improvements to be made sure but they will come in due course I'm sure. Youview have confirmed action panel, hide channels and discover will return at a later date. Next gen was built from the ground up. Next gen is cloud based and youview classic was flash based. Essentially it was like tgey where starting from scratch. In this update it moves people to the new platform and has made sure all essential functions are operating correctly.

In future the 3 non essential functions are going to return. There non essential in the way more people would complain if the update stopped you recording.

The youview app has a cut down version of discover in it. Can't you use this until the full version on the box returns.
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 1 May 2017, 8:33AM
    It is unfortunate that you updated. Luckily I kept an eye on Youview developments and have so far managed to prevent my box from updating.

You should contact Youview and make sure they know your grievances. I think it's clear that this update wasn't ready for prime time, regardless of the tiles vs lists issues.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 May 2017, 8:33AM
    NextGen is here to stay. But theres a severe danger that apart from the tiles, they are going to fix everything. So be warned....
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Chris A.Chris A. Member Posts: 74
    edited 16 April 2017, 4:05PM
    Daniel4 said:

Next gen is fantastic. There is some improvements to be made sure but they will come in due course I'm sure. Youview have confirmed action panel, hide channels and discover will return at a later date. Next gen was built from the ground up. Next gen is cloud based and youview classic was flash based. Essentially it was like tgey where starting from scratch. In this update it moves people to the new platform and has made sure all essential functions are operating correctly.

In future the 3 non essential functions are going to return. There non essential in the way more people would complain if the update stopped you recording.

The youview app has a cut down version of discover in it. Can't you use this until the full version on the box returns.

Do you work for Youview? Why have you totally disregarded the main issue that is cheesing everyone off? ie - These ridiculous tiles instead of lists? It cannot be brushed under the carpet, it needs to be addressed.
    edited 5 April 2017, 8:37PM
    Daniel4 said:

No I don't work for youview. I'm not allowed to work at all because of my ms doctors orders I have a lot of balance issues for example. I know about a lot of things youview but I'm a user. Others here have more knowledge then me. Just look at Roy he's a walking encyclopedia. I'm regards to youview next gen a lot of people here can tell you how much I like next gen. And sanji has said more then once the hide channels and discover and action panel will return.
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 6 April 2017, 12:40AM
    Visionman said:

NextGen is here to stay. But theres a severe danger that apart from the tiles, they are going to fix everything. So be warned....

This century? :D
    I hope they do, but will wait and see.
    edited 5 April 2017, 10:19PM
    Visionman said:

This century? Oh I don't know about that. ;)
  • Keith HarrisKeith Harris Member Posts: 6
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Just upgraded this morning and I HATE it!
    1. Where has the small TV window gone from the top right corner of the recordings list screen? Now the picture is behind the listings and almost totally invisible, absolutely useless.
    2. The old recordings list was easier to use, straightforward up, down, left, right. Now you sometimes have to press the down key 2 or 3 times to go to the next page. It's also not as easy to read.
    3.The time band at the bottom should be transparent, when it's visible; it blocks out too much of the picture.
    That's all I've discovered so far. I have two of these boxes because I liked them so much, and have friends who have bought them on my recommendation, but I hate the new look. Please rethink it and, if possible, go back to the old version.
    edited 6 April 2017, 8:48AM

1. Where has the small TV window gone from the top right corner of the recordings list screen? Now the picture is behind the listings and almost totally invisible, absolutely useless.
    2. The old recordings list was easier to use, straightforward up, down, left, right. Now you sometimes have to press the down key 2 or 3 times to go to the next page. It's also not as easy to read.
    3.The time band at the bottom should be transparent, when it's visible; it blocks out too much of the picture.
    That's all I've discovered so far. I have two of these boxes because I liked them so much, and have friends who have bought them on my recommendation, but I hate the new look. Please rethink it and, if possible, go back to the old version.

You can press the program up and down button to jump between the recordings page. Youview are going to reintroduce action panel and hide channels and discovery in a later software update. There is obviously no going back. Your not the first person to complain and rollout pressed on with no suspension .best you can hope for is once everything is sorted is more to your liking.
  • june verrijune verri Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 April 2017, 9:21PM
    Daniel4 said:

The new look you view is a load of absolute rubbish,. It's just deleted a who,e series of recordings .
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 April 2017, 8:04PM
    Daniel4 said:

No, you did, and to do it you must have pressed a button, ignored a warning telling you precisely what would happen, and despite that, pressed the button again.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 6 April 2017, 10:13PM
    Daniel4 said:

Ouch, but true - 

Delete a whole series?

Are you sure?
  • Lee AcasterLee Acaster Member Posts: 5
    edited 18 April 2017, 7:44AM

My box just updated yesterday , the recording menu is appalling. I know what I have recorded, I don't need to see pictures of them, just a chronological list so I can quickly choose what to watch. Form over function.
  • mrrenshawmrrenshaw Member Posts: 2
    edited 16 April 2017, 4:06PM

Well since I updated I've persisted with it to give it 'a chance' but it's just clunky, ill thought through and basically ****. It's incredibly arrogant of their techies to impose this on the consumers that pay their wages. Why should we be their guinea pigs and pay for the privilege? I don't care if it's cloud based, flash based or powered by two electrodes stuck in a potato, I just want it do what I pay them for.
  • M3M3 Member Posts: 2
    edited 16 April 2017, 4:07PM

The latest update is truly Shite. How an earth can you navigate those stupid tiles and find what you are looking for. Please give us the option to revert to lists!
  • Chris A.Chris A. Member Posts: 74
    edited 16 April 2017, 4:07PM

Apparently the tiles are here to stay. And we can accept that .. as long as they can implement an option for lists as well. Surely that can't be that hard?
  • edmundsaedmundsa Member Posts: 3
    edited 12 April 2017, 8:18PM
    Three points.
    1. Also not happy with latest update. Not sure if this is the 'action panel' but liked ability to select recorded title and have option to fast forward to a point in the programme I wanted to watch. This is no longer available, WHY? On Sunday I recorded a 6 hour cycling race and only wanted to watch the last hour. I had to fast forward in play and even at the fastest speed, I had to go and make a cup of tea before it got to the point from which I wanted to watch. RUBBISH. What are you doing Youview?
    2. Also happy with titles, don't need tiles. I'm not a toddler. Come on Youview.
    3. Is there a chance that a future update will include ability to manually or automatically add time to the end of a programme selected for recording from the guide. Many live events on Eurosport run over scheduled time and I often lose the last 5-10 mins of the programme. This would be very useful.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 April 2017, 6:45PM
    You have been dragged off the CurrentGen flight by the cruel air marshals of YouView and forced, kicking and screaming, to board the NextGen one.

Pity no-one was there to capture this on their mobile phone :-(
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • The WeathermanThe Weatherman Member Posts: 29
    edited 13 April 2017, 7:37AM
    Does Michael O'Leary have a holding interest in YouView? If he does, I suggest he sell his share and pretty darn quick....
  • M3M3 Member Posts: 2
    edited 13 April 2017, 6:45PM
    Roy1 said:

You have been dragged off the CurrentGen flight by the cruel air marshals of YouView and forced, kicking and screaming, to board the NextGen one.

Pity no-one was there to capture this on their mobile phone :-(

Actually no I haven't. Only one of my four boxes was updated. The other three will remain disonnected from the internet until the software is usable again.
  • Doug PalliserDoug Palliser Member Posts: 1
    edited 30 May 2017, 4:22PM
    Daniel4 said:

Way to easy to do!
    edited 17 April 2017, 9:38PM
    Daniel4 said:

Not if your actually looking at the TV screen.
    Query - You, as a newbie to the forum, have posted on both a Retail and a TalkTalk  thread. Do you have both?
  • Keith HarrisKeith Harris Member Posts: 6
    edited 18 April 2017, 8:43AM
    Daniel4 said:

I don't know why my comment appeared twice, I only posted it once, and I don't have TalkTalk anyway.