youview tracking

barry jonesbarry jones Member Posts: 39
edited 10 September 2017, 10:55AM in Support
I read in one of the posts that after the latest update, that  youview or talk talk can now track what I record what I watch and when I watch, is this correct?

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 April 2017, 6:44PM
    Yes thats right.
    It uses the same process as, say, the BBC iPlayer, all the other players. A Smart TV. Sky HD or Q, Virgin TiVo or V6, your mobile phone provider and indeed the way ones ISP tracks your internet usage. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • barry jonesbarry jones Member Posts: 39
    edited 10 September 2017, 10:55AM
    OK so what will they do with the information collected?
  • nick3nick3 Member Posts: 55
    edited 11 April 2017, 7:09PM
    i call it spying on the general public and think its all wrong but thats my veiw
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 11 April 2017, 7:17PM

Who knows what they could do - that'd need a crystal ball.
    Normally, this type of information is used to select "targeted advertising", so you might get to see subtle "you might like this..." prompts in your guide, which match the profile of what you have been watching.
    Of course, once a company has profiled your behaviour, there seems to be no limit to the uses that data can be put. For example, shops using video footage of shoes (literally) to characterise the demographic of their customers, and the days/times they visit the shops.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38235584
    edited 11 April 2017, 7:31PM
    Ones store card holds far more personal data than a box could ever do. But not ones ISP.
    They know everything.
  • davidwdavidw Member Posts: 38
    edited 11 April 2017, 8:37PM
    edited 11 April 2017, 8:47PM
    Yes, only unlike the novel, people welcome things like inner and outer city CCTV. As it makes them feel safe, and they're not wrong, either.
    But to point a finger at one box, and ONLY one box as being the face of Big Brother, is ironically the only truly paranoid thing on here.
    edited 19 April 2017, 8:12AM
    In 1984, it was the state that was spying. In this real world, it is every corporation that has it's own commercial agenda that is building a profile of the "customer base" (you), be it Microsoft, Google, Apple, whoever.
    There is no better platform than the online world to do this, as the amount of information we unintentionally leak out in our everyday actions is rather scary. The way you tilt your phone as you tap in your password, for example.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39565372/the-way-people-tilt-their-smartphone-can-give-away-pa...
    edited 19 April 2017, 8:12AM
    I've just noticed that my installed browser addon "Privacy Tracker" (by the EFF) has blocked no less than 4 trackers on this forum. This is a contentious issue, as I haven't paid a groat for this service, and they have to be funded in some way. The servers need hosting space, the electricity isn't free, the sysadmins don't work for the love of it (probably). Where do they get their money from? Advertising. So, if they can make that advertising more directed and fruitful, then they get more income.
    Would you rather be silently profiled and passively exploited, or told to get the credit card out up front? Most people would not go for the latter.
    BTW, this forum is actually hosted by "getsatisfaction.com". Their privacy policy
    https://getsatisfaction.com/corp/privacy-policy/
    says that they will "display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity". So, it's ubiquitous. As Visionman says, you can't single out one company; it's everywhere.
    edited 11 April 2017, 9:17PM
    MrMcg said:

I've just noticed that my installed browser addon "Privacy Tracker" (by the EFF) has blocked no less than 4 trackers on this forum. This is a contentious issue, as I haven't paid a groat for this service, and they have to be funded in some way. The servers need hosting space, the electricity isn't free, the sysadmins don't work for the love of it (probably). Where do they get their money from? Advertising. So, if they can make that advertising more directed and fruitful, then they get more income.
    Would you rather be silently profiled and passively exploited, or told to get the credit card out up front? Most people would not go for the latter.
    BTW, this forum is actually hosted by "getsatisfaction.com". Their privacy policy
    says that they will "display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity". So, it's ubiquitous. As Visionman says, you can't single out one company; it's everywhere.

Facebook are the worse, as once you register, they own you. And I mean that literally. 

edited 11 April 2017, 9:22PM
    MrMcg said:

Oh yah. And it doesn't stop at their social networking. Have you seen the T&Cs for Oculus, that they now own? They say knowledge is power. In the internet age, data and profiling is that knowledge.
  • davidwdavidw Member Posts: 38
    edited 10 September 2017, 10:55AM
    I meant it in a general term not just for one box and one box only, you view are no worse than any of the of the others mentioned  guys not intended to cause any offence
    edited 11 April 2017, 9:45PM
    davidw said:

I meant it in a general term not just for one box and one box only, you view are no worse than any of the of the others mentioned  guys not intended to cause any offence

Agreed, in fact I think so far, youview are better than the rest - I have not seen advertising in the UI yet, but some posts on this forum have hinted this is a back-story to the new interface (to open up this option).
    What the OP was asking was what could YouView do with the data collected, which is a much more disturbing question.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 April 2017, 10:15PM

So, literally measuring the footfall :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 11 April 2017, 10:21PM
    MrMcg said:

I've never seen GetSat show an ad, though.

And GetSat are paid to host this Community by YouView, as part of their commitment to customer service (please don't all laugh at once).

So there is nothing that needs supporting by advertising revenue, and no excuse to show ads here
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 11 April 2017, 10:26PM
    MrMcg said:

No ads in this forum, perhaps, but have you ever visited a completely different website, and seen some ad which is so specific to you that you wonder how they knew to advertise that product?
    edited 11 April 2017, 10:26PM
    davidw said:

Thanks, you just reminded me to put 'tinfoil' on our shopping list for Friday's trip to Tesco. And not to use our Club Card when buying it :-)
    edited 11 April 2017, 10:27PM
    davidw said:

And whilst you are at it, don't drive your car to Tesco. All those ANPR systems profiling your movements ...
    edited 11 April 2017, 10:28PM
    davidw said:

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "you view".
    edited 12 April 2017, 4:38AM
    davidw said:

OK so if I pull the internet connection from the box, what will I lose apart from guide rollback and catch-up? 

edited 12 April 2017, 11:40AM
    davidw said:

Some 'enhanced metadata' about the programmes you see on the Guide; you would drop back to just the OTA metadata.

There are those here who would regard that as an improvement though, as the OTA metadata contains information they find useful which the enhanced metadata does not, and in loading, wipes it out.

If you have the YouView App on a tablet or phone, you will no longer be able to schedule recordings from it, and the channels shown will not keep up with those shown on your box.

You may experience delays going in to Settings, as the box searches in vain for an internet connection, for 30 seconds or so.
    edited 12 April 2017, 11:40AM
    davidw said:

Thank you, will unplug and see how it goes.