[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• Paul NormanPaul Norman Member Posts: 39
    edited 29 April 2017, 6:56AM
    Visionman said:

This thread is for feedback from users who have 27.50 only. 
    Thanks.

It might be better is this wan't a list of comments but a set of tiles across the screen and then down, very trendy I'm sure?
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:47PM
    Visionman said:

Sydney>
    "Better, but still missing the features that we had before and were coming 'soon'."

A comment you have often repeated...
    As announced by YouView here - 
    "MyTV is a top priority. Rest assured that your views and opinions shared here have been fed into the planning of further developments we are making with MyTV to bring improvements and new functionality."
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software

Thanks to feedback both on here and elsewhere, addressing My TV became the top priority for them, not the 'Soon'. And what an amazing difference its made.
    Still, can't please everyone, eh? :)

Shame that retail boxes are emblazoned with broadband supplier logo though. Seems like a bum deal.
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:51PM
    sydney1 said:

Shouldn't of removed it in the first place.

Ooh getting personal. Polar views, each person has a view to be heard.
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:52PM
    Visionman said:

Sydney>
    "Maybe talktalk and BT will see the light and go for a better system than YouView. They will be concerned about all this negativity to the platform that they are using."
    Show me one.

Yawn
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:55PM
    Visionman said:

There are users on here who are criticising and complaining about this new update who haven't even got it yet. Please stop and wait until you do.

The tiles are fantastic. Does it need improvements sure but 27.50.0 is a excellent start and next gen ticks the boxes it's modern it's fresh it is easy to use it is fit for purpose.
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:55PM
    Matthew3 said:

Is this update available on my BT box?

Uh? YourTV?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 12:09AM

Thank god the big tile has gone, but now seems slower to populate. Doesn't address the bigger issues though.

LOL.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 12:14AM

Thank god the big tile has gone, but now seems slower to populate. Doesn't address the bigger issues though.

Yes its currently poor, but believe me, and your not going to believe this, its still not the worst out there. But I did give you a like for that. :)
    Because your right.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Wilf21Wilf21 Member Posts: 11
    edited 27 April 2017, 1:00AM
    scott said:

Nice improvement. Keep em coming :-)

I especially like the definition between each tile now.

Also shows there is promise behind the faster rollout of improvements.

Sorry to hear that.  The new software is so much faster on my box, which was very slow to respond using the old interface, so I wonder if something else is going on with your box?
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 27 April 2017, 1:07AM
    Wilf21 said:

I don't know how others feel, but one annoyance now and with previous versions including the old software, is this.  The thing I want to do most is get to MyTV and its/my list of recorded or to be recorded programmes.  Consequently, when the machine is first switched on or when I press the blue You View button on my remote, I think that MyTV ought to be the first item on the ensuing menu, and not the Guide, for which there is a dedicated remote control button in any case.

When I took my bat and ball home for a couple of years, I'm sure YouView were probably totally oblivious - or if they noticed, probably happy - as I was moving strongly from being supportive to being critical.

However, the fact that you, Roy - a heretofore staunch and loyal supporter over 5 years - feel that "YouView don't give a flying (redacted) about your customers :-(" must surely give them food for thought.

Any goodwill and loyalty can be destroyed by poor customer care, poor software and not listening to the customer, no matter how good the hardware. Indeed, I posted something similar on the Nokia forum a year or two before they went bust.
    edited 27 April 2017, 1:10AM
    Visionman said:

There are users on here who are criticising and complaining about this new update who haven't even got it yet. Please stop and wait until you do.

I'm with you, Daniel.  I like the new interface and, on my box at least, it's much faster.
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Member Posts: 137
    edited 27 April 2017, 1:10AM
    bob3 said:

Dear oh dear... I just got this update today. Not impressed. The new tiles layout looks like a five year old designed it.

When will youview get the message - horizontal descending date tiles don't work. They're not intuitive in the least. Please, please can we have a descending date list like the one I had a few months ago that i paid 200 pounds for. I still miss the small TV that I had in the guide view but i can accept the bad decision to remove it but I can't accept this mess of a 'mytv' page.

Agree padding long overdue. The stop/start signals are only as reliable as the person deploying them.
    edited 27 April 2017, 1:15AM
    Matthew3 said:

MrMcg, "Why was it so important to push out this Nextgen now" - I've no idea as I have no association with YouView but I do have a long background in software development and my experience suggests that if you wait until every "i" is dotted and every "t" crossed before releasing a large system, it'll probably never get released at all and if it ever is, then there will be an overwhelming set of problems to fix.  Far better to take an incremental approach; ok, you don't get everything at first, but you do get a much more robust system which is much easier to control and test.
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 27 April 2017, 9:17AM
    Matthew3 said:

Was anybody expecting every I to be dotted? This software is pretty specific in what it needs to do, the minimum expectation should have been the same functionality on NextGen. The reality has been a let down.

I don't want an incremental approach taken to the new software on my PVR which is working adequately on oldgen.
    edited 27 April 2017, 9:27AM
    Matthew3 said:

I think that each of us probably has a different view as to what the minimum requirement set actually is and I'm happy to accept a lower level of functionality at this stage so that it gets off the ground. As to having the new software at all, well, for me, it has given a relatively slow box a new lease of life.  Obviously, others' experience will be different.
  • mvemve Member Posts: 3
    edited 27 April 2017, 10:11AM
    scott said:

Thanks for the replies. It is a Humax box, not sure of the model number. I just tried disconnecting from the internet and bingo, suddenly MyTV is up to speed. That means the squares add absolutely nothing and I support the call for the line based interface. I used to be able to use the iPlayer but now it won't connect. I presume this is because more people in my area are using the internet for films and other heavy loads with the result that my speed has gone down. So with no useable access to iPlayer I won't loose much. I'll stay connected in order to get the updates and disconnect when I want to actually use the thing.
    Note to YouView: I realise you want to aim at exploiting broadband but there are still a lot of people with very slow connections and you are going to lose them as users unless you address this.
    edited 27 April 2017, 10:21AM
    scott said:

A good point. Looks like the visual interface may be too dependent upon a good Internet connection, in which case an alternative, which is less data-hungry, would obviously be a good option.
    edited 29 April 2017, 5:29PM
    Matthew3 said:

I would say that the majority of users would want the same functionality as pre-upgrade, not to be clandestinely enrolled in a possibly never ending beta test.

I am not happy to accept a lower level of functionality on equipment that was working well.
    edited 27 April 2017, 11:16AM
    Wilf21 said:

I don't know how others feel, but one annoyance now and with previous versions including the old software, is this.  The thing I want to do most is get to MyTV and its/my list of recorded or to be recorded programmes.  Consequently, when the machine is first switched on or when I press the blue You View button on my remote, I think that MyTV ought to be the first item on the ensuing menu, and not the Guide, for which there is a dedicated remote control button in any case.

Nokia didn't go bust there very much active in other areas in certain parts of the world all they did was sell the mobile arm of the business to Microsoft
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 12:30PM
    Matthew3 said:

Paul - Ah, BT player and whatever TalkTalk call theirs.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • AndyBurtonAndyBurton Member Posts: 11
    edited 27 April 2017, 12:24PM
    Paul26 said:

Much better now, but still would like the list option please rather than thumbnails. Bury the option in the settings/options if you have to but having the choice will be great.

Completely agree with this - it'd be great to have some settings to allow people to configure these screens as they wish, as it's obviously very personal, and means rather than focussing on changing or removing features new features can simply be added with a toggle in the settings.

I am very happy with the update in terms of removing the large recording and starting series record at the beginning, but the real cherry on-top would be to have a stop or back button at the end of a recorded episode go back to the selected episode in the series recordings, rather than back to the main recordings page!

Otherwise the same problem as before exists - for example i have a series with 72 episodes (and growing), and whereas previously i had to scroll back to the beginning, slowly getting closer to the end as i watch them, now i will have to scroll towards the end as i watch through them instead! This is simply solved by jumping back to the watched episode when it's finished.
    edited 27 April 2017, 12:30PM
    Matthew3 said:

TalkTalk player
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 209 ✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 12:31PM
    Paul26 said:

Much better now, but still would like the list option please rather than thumbnails. Bury the option in the settings/options if you have to but having the choice will be great.

It has been suggested here and elsewhere that the jump into series stacks goes to oldest part watched/umwatched in that order - and that backward navigation from watched recording does what old gen did. I hope YV are listening
    edited 27 April 2017, 12:32PM
    Wilf21 said:

Lol
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 27 April 2017, 3:33PM
    Wilf21 said:

Talking of going bankrupt, anybody remember Amstrad? Started when some bloke bought out a high-end British hi-fi company, renamed it, decided his customer base only wanted cheap imported tat, and went bust. He went on to buy an emerging British computer company, changed it's name, decided his customer base only wanted monochrome business computers and went bust. What was his name? Fred Saccharin or something like that. I wonder what he's up to these days...... ;~)

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 3:37PM
    Wilf21 said:

Erm, that reads like a serious revision of history. Is he the same idiot who bought into satellite broadcast kit while becoming chairman of a football club which would allow him access to negotiations on TV rights?
    edited 27 April 2017, 3:46PM
    Wilf21 said:

I remember Alan Sugar owning amstrad and selling it to sky.
    edited 27 April 2017, 3:51PM
    Wilf21 said:

Yeah, well done Daniel. :)
    edited 27 April 2017, 3:51PM
    Wilf21 said:

Alan Michael Sugar Trading. Get it?
    edited 27 April 2017, 3:53PM
    Wilf21 said:

Yes