[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 3:53PM
    Wilf21 said:

I don't know how others feel, but one annoyance now and with previous versions including the old software, is this.  The thing I want to do most is get to MyTV and its/my list of recorded or to be recorded programmes.  Consequently, when the machine is first switched on or when I press the blue You View button on my remote, I think that MyTV ought to be the first item on the ensuing menu, and not the Guide, for which there is a dedicated remote control button in any case.

Cool. Anyway, better stop now before someone tells us we are straying off topic! ;)
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 3:58PM
    Wilf21 said:

I don't know how others feel, but one annoyance now and with previous versions including the old software, is this.  The thing I want to do most is get to MyTV and its/my list of recorded or to be recorded programmes.  Consequently, when the machine is first switched on or when I press the blue You View button on my remote, I think that MyTV ought to be the first item on the ensuing menu, and not the Guide, for which there is a dedicated remote control button in any case.

If it wasn't the little guy we probably wouldn't have this forum!
    edited 27 April 2017, 3:58PM
    Wilf21 said:

Well observed al. Hang on, it's not, it's not...???
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:00PM
    Wilf21 said:

Haha. I'd have to refer to him/myself as Lord the little guy!
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:00PM
    Wilf21 said:

LOL
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:03PM
    Wilf21 said:

Agreed, Daniel..... not quite bust, but a bit-player today compared to its former dominating No 1 position.

"Nokia, once the largest mobile manufacturer in the world, failed to cater to the growing consumer appetite for smartphones spearheaded by Apple and Google in the late 2000s. Rapidly falling sales led analysts to fear the company was on the verge of declaring bankruptcy in 2012."

"On June 18, 2012, Moody's downgraded Nokia's bond rating to junk. Nokia CEO admitted that the company's inability to foresee rapid changes in the mobile phone industry was one of the major reasons for the problems."
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:21PM
    Wilf21 said:

Not the only one to miss the sea change, and get Black-buried.

And such examples were probably not far from YouView's collective mind, when they spawned NextGen before CurrentGen went out with the CLI.

I wonder if we have more examples, not of people who missed the bandwagon, but whose attempts to climb aboard it saw them in serious peril of falling under the wheels?
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:27PM
    Wilf21 said:

Hmm, so criticise for standing still, or for moving forwards, blips and all? Which is it to be?

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:27PM
    Wilf21 said:

Theres been some right off topic stuff posted on here...
    Which has given me, and no doubt some others, a right good giggle.
    And I again acknowledge - point taken. :)
    Sugars currently selling SAT boxes to ex-pats.
    Sugar made an 800% profit selling his SAT box arm to Sky.
    And Microsoft bought Nokia Mobile when it was on its knees promising not to shut them down. Then promptly shut them down.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:32PM
    Wilf21 said:

Ah, Microsoft and smartphones, now there's another story. Still, they seem to have got over it. Although, trying to get back on topic (sort of) I see few pleas to YouView these days to provide an app for said phones. That really was a blind alley, wasn't it?
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:41PM
    Wilf21 said:

Errm... maybe.
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:44PM
    Wilf21 said:

Maybe? Where are the Windows phones now?
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:49PM
    Wilf21 said:

Well, don't get me wrong because re Retail, I don't know, but the BT Sport App is fully compatible with Windows 10.1. But I know my 8.1 will never get it.
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:50PM
    Wilf21 said:

I'm talking about YouView, not BT. ;)
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:50PM
    Wilf21 said:

Redchiz windows phones are in the bin lol
    edited 27 April 2017, 5:00PM
    Wilf21 said:

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment...
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:55PM
    Wilf21 said:

Oh and I take your point about YouView being compared to the others above. 
    To stand still or to move forward? I think the companies above give the pointer. :)
    edited 27 April 2017, 5:18PM
    Wilf21 said:

And.... still a bit nearly-off-topic (but trying to engineer it so it's nearly-on-topic) it is interesting to review the 2005 released Humax PVR-9200T against Nextgen software update 27.50.0. (see what I did there?) Auto-padding, favourites, functioning USB (just for uploading pictures/music), PIP..... etc. etc. But.... old obsolete boxes - after all - we're talking 12 years ago - what do you expect, guys?! Be reasonable and stop moaning.
    edited 27 April 2017, 5:21PM
    Wilf21 said:

Yeah, funnily enough I had a look at that as well after all the comments. SD only, no HDMI, no catch up or on demand features, 160GB hard drive. I'm sure it was great back in its day.
    edited 27 April 2017, 6:04PM
    Wilf21 said:

As I said, Redchiz - old technology..... but....

The 9200T box was released in 2005 - the first HD broadcast in the UK wasn't until 2006! It was also only in 2006 that catch-up services (on-demand) were first introduced. 12 years ago disks were far more expensive than they are today. 2005 price per gigabyte = $1.24. 2012, when the YouView box first appeared a gigabyte cost $0.05! The YouView box launched with 500GB, but on those prices the equivalent of 160GB in 2012 was 4,000GB!

The RRP of the YouView box at launch was £299 - the Humax 9200T was £230. 

For its time it was an incredibly well-put-together piece of kit, with a superbly well-designed UI - offering user-friendly rich functionally. Feature for feature, for its time, it rated a solid 5 out of 5.
    edited 27 April 2017, 6:20PM
    Wilf21 said:

Hi CW, in your time away you may have missed this... and so a recap may be needed (for your benefit of course) ...
    YouView

EPG Padding - no
    Favourites - no
    Amendable EPG re-ordering - no

A YouView, any YouView, will never be feature rich and they have many sound reasons for not doing so.
    A retail Humax Freeview Play offers the above, but is a dam poor box to boot.
    edited 27 April 2017, 6:36PM
    Wilf21 said:

Thanks Visionman. But I hadn't missed that. Indeed, as all those features were high on the list of suggestions from day one, and they were features I was used to on the Humax 9200T, I've followed the news, as have countless others, no doubt.

I assume (as I have to - not having been let in to the "many sound reasons for not doing so") that these reasons have something to do with acquiescing to other more influential interests than the customer, lending weight to Roy's "don't give a flying (redacted) about your customers :-(".
    edited 27 April 2017, 7:03PM
    Wilf21 said:

No. The reasons are that YouView is a numbers platform and a numbers game. It is a mass market box which is intended for only the for mass market. Not the niche.
    Many internet forum users (and internet forum users only) remember the Topfield or Humax HDR Fox T2 as most fond favourites. But, sorry to be honest, no one else does.
    edited 27 April 2017, 7:15PM
    Wilf21 said:

The 9200T box was released in 2005 - the first HD broadcast in the UK wasn't until 2006!
    Indeed. And how did the software on that  box keep up? Compare it to my five year old YouView box.
    edited 27 April 2017, 7:35PM
    Wilf21 said:

Visionman - I fail to follow your argument - are we to believe that in your terms - "mass market" means "we can provide whatever functionality we want - and disregard the views of the customer?" A like it or lump it attitude? Amazing.... Would you regard an iPhone as a 'mass market' product?

Redchiz - the released functionality was so good that there was no need for there to be regular updates to 'fix' missing features - they were all there from day one, and pretty solid, unlike the initial release of the YouView box and NextGen. Nor did I ever experience the functionality failing for weeks at a time. There were updates pushed out over the air occasionally, in particular after a major Freeview retune, which did cause box slowdowns.
    edited 27 April 2017, 7:50PM
    Wilf21 said:

Sorry, this argument is pointless, as thats not what I said at all.
    Though respect, as always..
    edited 27 April 2017, 8:11PM
    Wilf21 said:

I wasn't aware we were arguing, nor do I wish to have an argument, Visionman. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. To clarify, I understood you to say that the much-requested features - EPG Padding, favourites, and amendable EPG re-ordering were never going to happen because YouView is a mass market box. Is that incorrect?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 12:31AM
    Wilf21 said:

All the mass market VCRs I ever owned had padding.
    All the mass market LCD TV sets I ever owned had Favourite Channels. And gave some clue about what was going on when you were tuning.
    All the mass market BBC iPlayers I ever owned do Episode Follow-On.
    Most of the mass market devices I own do DLNA.
    Most of them are wifi.

None of the mass market devices I own do multicast.

'Mass market', Visionman, is just a figleaf you have invented to hide YouView's paucity of features that many, many people would find useful, beyond just the 'Topfield Tinkerers'.

Without any need to make the box more complicated; though as that is something YouView have managed with NextGen by taking away, not adding, functionality, this is perhaps a powerful argument for simplicity through extra functionality.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Ian CurranIan Curran Member Posts: 1
    edited 27 April 2017, 8:30PM
    Simes said:

I joined this forum a couple of months ago after the release of software version 27.45.0 to note some bugs. The revised (27.50.0) software dropped on to my Humax T2000 overnight and I am writing here to acknowledge and thank the developers for the changes they have made.

- For me, the larger equally sized tiles on the MyTV page are better; clearer and easier to read on my 40" TV (albeit that I would like the option to return to written lists, rather than pictorial displays as I find these easier to interpret). A list option would be appreciated.

- The fact that opening a recorded series from the MyTV page now takes you to the first episode rather then the latest directly addresses my principal gripe and means that there will be a lot less button-pushing in the future - many thanks for that

HOWEVER...

While 27.50.0 looks as though it will be a lot more useable day-to-day, there are still several features and behaviours that I would appreciate being addressed in future releases. These specifically were available on my previous Humax model (a 9200T) and provided a much more user-friendly user experience:

- Pressing the Stop or Back button whilst watching a recorded programme should NOT take you back two screens-worth to the MyTV page - ideally pressing either of these buttons should take you back one page only, to the list of episodes of the same programme; thus enabling you to delete what you have just watched without having to jump forward again in to that episode list

- When a recording has ended, I am presented with a blue screen and the message 'This recording has ended / Press BACK to dismiss.' This message and screen are totally unnecessary - I know when a recording has finished, because it is not playing what it was! Even if I have left the room for some reason and returned, this is a pointless message which only serves to require me to press a button to get rid of it. The 9200T took me immediately back one page and I see no reason why this new model should not do the same. Taking me straight to the episode list would allow me to either delete or re-watch the programme as required without additional clicks

- The 9200T allowed me to delete a programme with one (confirmable) click while watching it. This was useful because I could remove a programme I no longer needed but which I had to watch the first few seconds of, to check which one it was. This is in contrast to the 3 clicks the T2000 now requires when I have to stop the recording and go forward again in to the episode list

- Selecting the 'Programme Information' (i) button effectively disables all other options, meaning the information has to be removed before I can Stop or Delete the programme I am watching, or change channel. Why is this? It's a pain - once I have identified the programme, I want to be able to move on without having to remove the information screen

- The order of recorded programmes on the MyTV page changes constantly based on the latest recorded episode of any programme. A toggle option to allow these to be sorted alphabetically would speed up my search for a programme when I have many unwatched items

- The 9200T had the ability to jump through the EPG by 2 hours backwards or forwards using the Fast Forward (>>) and Rewind (<<) buttons (the 'Change Day' option was previously selected by the Skip Forward (>>¦) and Skip backward (¦<<) buttons). Since upgrading to the T2000, only the 'Change Day' facility is available and there is no option to jump forwards or backwards by 2 hours, which makes scrolling painfully slow

- The 9200T enabled me to review my recorded programmes with one click of a button rather than the 4 required by the T2000. Allocation of a shortcut button to go straight to my recorded programmes would greatly speed up the process

- The 9200T enabled navigation throughout the length of a recorded programme using the right and left arrow keys for 'to the minute' selection of a time within a programme. This was particularly useful if I had fallen asleep watching something and needed to quickly get back to the last bit I had remembered watching. Unfortunately, the only way now to position the start of watching is by using the Fast Forward button which can take a long time if it's a long film

I don't want this post to come off as just a complaint - it's good to see the developers responding to user feedback and I acknowledge their work.

Totally agree .

Not being taken back to display the recording you were watching after pressing the stop button is no good. Instead you have to go back into the series recordings and find the recording before deleting. Also to make it easier I would like to be able to delete the recording being played,while its playing, as I can do on my Human free sat box.

Also would like an option to view my recordings in the old list style please! But I can see how many users would like the blocks but not me.
    edited 27 April 2017, 8:32PM
    Wilf21 said:

Yes Roy, I have invented everything.
    Night, gentlemen.