[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• SpargoSpargo Member Posts: 31
    edited 27 April 2017, 9:05PM

Thank god the big tile has gone, but now seems slower to populate. Doesn't address the bigger issues though.

Visionman, which, in your opinion, is the worst out there? Just so that I know what to avoid.
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 27 April 2017, 9:06PM
    Wilf21 said:

I don't know how others feel, but one annoyance now and with previous versions including the old software, is this.  The thing I want to do most is get to MyTV and its/my list of recorded or to be recorded programmes.  Consequently, when the machine is first switched on or when I press the blue You View button on my remote, I think that MyTV ought to be the first item on the ensuing menu, and not the Guide, for which there is a dedicated remote control button in any case.

The HDR line of boxes were a mass market box, that had all the features that for some reason have been called 'tinkerer' features. These boxes were amongst the first available Freeview HD PVRs.

Even without the custom firmware the stock boxes have a lot of features that have been asked for here and didn't seem to scare off ordinary consumers.

Maybe the reason these boxes are remembered so fondly is because nothing newer has managed to live up to these older mass market boxes.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 9:06PM
    Wilf21 said:

I don't know how others feel, but one annoyance now and with previous versions including the old software, is this.  The thing I want to do most is get to MyTV and its/my list of recorded or to be recorded programmes.  Consequently, when the machine is first switched on or when I press the blue You View button on my remote, I think that MyTV ought to be the first item on the ensuing menu, and not the Guide, for which there is a dedicated remote control button in any case.

Looks like the southern climate has reinvigorated you Roy :-)
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 9:09PM

Thank god the big tile has gone, but now seems slower to populate. Doesn't address the bigger issues though.

Spargo avoid Freeview play especially the latest humax it's a dire box
    edited 27 April 2017, 9:16PM

Daniel, I've heard about Freeview Play. Man in the shop (which I shall not name) said it was the new name for Freeview. I'll check it out. However, my next box would almost certainly be a Panasonic. I have one already which I like and as far as I can see from the manuals for newer ones, which I've downloaded, the UIs are much the same as my current one.
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 27 April 2017, 9:41PM

Daniel: have you used this box? What are the problems with it?
    edited 27 April 2017, 10:11PM

Daniel, the next box I would buy, if my current Panasonic box went TU, would be the DMR-PWT550. Looking at the manual this box has Freeview Play, the Play bit, I think, being the ability to catch up something in the last seven days. The recording side of the functions appear to be pretty much the same as my current Panasonic which I find to be very good.

The function of the T2000 which allows watching a current transmission or a catch-up programme is not, I believe a problem to current owners of the T2000, at least it hasn't been to me. The problem area is the presentation and control of the Recordings and Schedules and in this area the Panasonic is, in my experience, much better.

edited 27 April 2017, 10:29PM

Freeview play is just a brand name for Freeviews pvr boxes it's not a new name for Freeview. And yes I and many friends and family have tried these boxes they all returned them to currys. There slower than TalkTalks very first youview box IMO very buggy too the one I had was rebooting a fair bit it's a heap of junk.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 501 ✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 12:02AM

Not quite true really when smart TVs also have Freeview Play & they aren't PVRs.

Likewise Youview is available on Sony Android TVs.
    edited 28 April 2017, 12:12AM

Yes it has many uses but in the context I was Speaking about I was specifically talking about the Humax fvp box
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    TimC>
    "Not quite true really when smart TVs also have Freeview Play & they aren't PVRs."
    Agreed. And there all ****.
    A pause & play application, and the Humax box isn't any better, either, which is the best of them.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 28 April 2017, 12:32AM
    Visionman said:

TimC>
    "Not quite true really when smart TVs also have Freeview Play & they aren't PVRs."
    Agreed. And there all ****.
    A pause & play application, and the Humax box isn't any better, either, which is the best of them.

I have no experience of the tvs but if they are worse than the Humax box I have had a lucky escape.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:50AM

This is what Freeview Play is:-

https://www.freeview.co.uk/why-freevi...

A slavish copy of YouView's innovative backwards EPG together with its innovative guarantee that the device has all five major catchup services, and its innovative seamless deep linking from that backwards EPG into those Players.

Some Freeview Play devices are TVs, and some are recorders.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

But YouView was so far ahead of FVP that it has had to hobble itself lest the comparison become too embarrassing for FVP :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • speedyritespeedyrite Member Posts: 81
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:07AM
    Relieved to find that 27.50.0 has arrived here overnight. Impressed that it has replaced 27.47.0 (which itself had only been here a short time) so quickly. Hopefully will alleviate our major gripes with the day-to-day operation of the user interface, but will check it out more thoroughly later on.
  • Suzi WilliamsonSuzi Williamson Member Posts: 4
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    My box updated a couple of days ago but today it has changed for the worse when I want to watch a soap program that has 65 episodes recorded it starts right back to the first episode that has been watched then I have to scroll through for ages to get to the latest ones then instead of being able to go forward to watch the next one it goes back to the start of the watched ones & I have to scroll through again. It's driving me mad to the point I want to change the box it's a joke how they can change something for the worse instead of the better why can't we have a choice if we want the update & be able to go back to the old version

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Software Update 16/03/2017.
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 209 ✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 10:13AM

My box updated a couple of days ago but today it has changed for the worse when I want to watch a soap program that has 65 episodes recorded it starts right back to the first episode that has been watched then I have to scroll through for ages to get to the latest ones then instead of being able to go forward to watch the next one it goes back to the start of the watched ones & I have to scroll through again. It's driving me mad to the point I want to change the box it's a joke how they can change something for the worse instead of the better why can't we have a choice if we want the update & be able to go back to the old version

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Software Update 16/03/2017.

Which is why many of us have asked for further changes (posted above) but to summarise: After watching a recording provide the options from Old Gen to delete etc. Then navigate back to next unwatched episode.
    If opening a series for the first time go to oldest Part Watched or oldest unwatched - same as the Netflix App basically. Iit should satisfy 99% of the use cases.
    Going to the oldest is probably better than the newest in more than 50% of the cases, but not all.
    edited 28 April 2017, 10:24AM

@suzi What software version are you on. 27.50.0 has received some improvement the large tile has gone more text is visible on the tiles there is more tiles to a page and series stacks start at the oldest episode instead of the newest episode. Updates are covered by the terms and conditions that are agreed to when you started using the box while I appreciate you are frustrated this was a complete rebuild of the platform that's why some features are currently unavailable. Youview classic was flash based and next generation is cloud based. Youview have confirmed that action panel and hide channels and discover will return to the platform in a later software update. Most suppliers are moving to image based such as sky for example. While it's not what you want to hear I hope you can take some comfort known that it will be improved over time.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 10:27AM
    Wilf21 said:

Roy referred to "the 'Topfield Tinkerers'." How dare you? :-)

A Topfield TF5800 with custom UI software (thanks to the MyStuff team) has 167 user definable settings. And that's just for starters.

The Topfield Tinkerers would beat the Humax Hurricanes any day!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 11:00AM

We also need the follow-on option, like the one that the BBC iPlayer, and many other services provide, such that having watched one episode, the box will play the next one after a short interval, unless you choose to stop at that point.

I see Daniel is scratching around to find a few good things to say about NextGen, as usual, but, also as usual, they do not seem to address the points you are raising :-(

Though would it be intrusive of me to ask why you are keeping all those watched episodes of soaps? :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 28 April 2017, 4:31PM

I note that Daniel has been with us for about 18 months. I applaud his dogged praise of Nextgen, despite it being obvious that many of us don't quite go along with all his views (as we are entitled to).

"While it's not what you want to hear I hope you can take some comfort known that it will be improved over time."

This comment gave me a 'deja view' moment..... I was back 5 years and reading posts almost identical to some being posted now relating to the user interface (including variations of this fragment...). 

You'll excuse us, Daniel, if some of us, based on past experience (key reasonable requests weren't 'improved over time'), don't hold our breath. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, after all. 

And just for the record, and on a more general note (not directed at any one individual, but prompted by a trend I see developing on the forum) disagreement with the views of someone else on this forum IS allowed. Its known as 'healthy debate'. It does not constitute an attempt to get into an argument. Attempts to badger people into not expressing their honest views which may disagree with one's own is not healthy.
  • Paul NormanPaul Norman Member Posts: 39
    edited 28 April 2017, 3:32PM

Something that Daniel said about me then being cloud based? Does this imply a level of data usage for "normal" functions rather than catch up services
    edited 28 April 2017, 3:23PM
    Visionman said:

Sydney>
    "Better, but still missing the features that we had before and were coming 'soon'."

A comment you have often repeated...
    As announced by YouView here - 
    "MyTV is a top priority. Rest assured that your views and opinions shared here have been fed into the planning of further developments we are making with MyTV to bring improvements and new functionality."
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software

Thanks to feedback both on here and elsewhere, addressing My TV became the top priority for them, not the 'Soon'. And what an amazing difference its made.
    Still, can't please everyone, eh? :)

Oddly not on PlusNet (thankfully in my case), long may it last.
    edited 28 April 2017, 3:53PM
    Visionman said:

Sydney>
    "Better, but still missing the features that we had before and were coming 'soon'."

A comment you have often repeated...
    As announced by YouView here - 
    "MyTV is a top priority. Rest assured that your views and opinions shared here have been fed into the planning of further developments we are making with MyTV to bring improvements and new functionality."
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software

Thanks to feedback both on here and elsewhere, addressing My TV became the top priority for them, not the 'Soon'. And what an amazing difference its made.
    Still, can't please everyone, eh? :)

Daniel, it was a joke hence the smiley face ;-)
    edited 28 April 2017, 5:42PM

How about this for an idea which should keep both Daniel and the people who want a list happy.

Provide the option in the Settings for list or tiles and at the start of each entry in the list show a small thumbnail. When a particular title in the list is in focus, expand that space to three lines which will provide space to show more programme details. The larger thumbnail will start to play from the start of the recording (no grabbing a picture from the cloud) complete with sound which should make the recording easily identifiable. The thumbnail can be changed if the user so wishes by selecting a different part of the recording.

That should be quite easy to do.

edited 28 April 2017, 4:34PM

Love the creative thinking going on here - all focused on enhancing functionality - to everyone's benefit - not least YouView. Some really good ideas. I hope that they will be thrown into the development melting pot in an open-minded way.
    edited 28 April 2017, 4:46PM

Thats actually a cracking idea.
  • Andrew CAndrew C Member Posts: 47
    edited 28 April 2017, 5:46PM

You just described how I have my Plex Home Cinema PC.

List view, with small Video Preview thumbnail, and title (arranged in program/season, folders)

On selection; Thumb nail enlarges, along side is the title and 3 lines of description (plays the theme tune instead of random selection, but it could easily be changed for a preview clip)

Works and is universally loved by everyone who uses it. (written in HTML 5........)
    edited 28 April 2017, 5:55PM

I can imagine why.....
    edited 28 April 2017, 5:55PM

HTML5? You know, that would work.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 6:04PM

@churchwarden, you have nailed it there - penultimate post of yours! - for all the moans, groans etc. there are some excellent ideas coming through here. And there have been for the life of this community. So despite everything, YouView continue to get fantastic feedback for free. Clever, eh?