[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 5:24PM

My box updated a couple of days ago but today it has changed for the worse when I want to watch a soap program that has 65 episodes recorded it starts right back to the first episode that has been watched then I have to scroll through for ages to get to the latest ones then instead of being able to go forward to watch the next one it goes back to the start of the watched ones & I have to scroll through again. It's driving me mad to the point I want to change the box it's a joke how they can change something for the worse instead of the better why can't we have a choice if we want the update & be able to go back to the old version

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Software Update 16/03/2017.

chiz - that a company listens to its users? Revolutionary! For those that want to stay ahead that is... And they are. :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • SpargoSpargo Member Posts: 31
    edited 28 April 2017, 7:47PM

My box updated a couple of days ago but today it has changed for the worse when I want to watch a soap program that has 65 episodes recorded it starts right back to the first episode that has been watched then I have to scroll through for ages to get to the latest ones then instead of being able to go forward to watch the next one it goes back to the start of the watched ones & I have to scroll through again. It's driving me mad to the point I want to change the box it's a joke how they can change something for the worse instead of the better why can't we have a choice if we want the update & be able to go back to the old version

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Software Update 16/03/2017.

One thing I would find interesting and it may also be of use to YouView, is that when people come across a problem with a software release, 27.50.0 in this case, they state what platform it's running on. Mine is a Humax T2000 but I assume that YouView runs on many different platforms and they won't always behave in the same way. Just a thought. It may also be the case that behaviour could be affected by which TV it is used with, I don't know.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:27PM
    Having had this update for a few days now it is cautiously pleasing to finally see some changes, in response to feedback, coming through.

I would expect the work to change the startup menu bar timing to be simply changing one parameter (so a second to change it and perhaps a minute to find it in the code :) ). Whilst I see this as benefiting some people, in practice for me it achieves nothing since I have no desire to see this at startup and thus will almost always end up dismissing such a feature manually whether it is there for 20, 30 or 60 seconds. If they reduce this further to at most 15 seconds I might just about find myself leaving it be to go on its own. In practice though I would still very much prefer to see them take the short amount of extra time to program a setting to allow the user to pick from 0, 15, 30 or 60.

Being dropped on the oldest tile within a series tile is a big step forward for me. I tend to let recordings build up and then watch them up in batches, deleting them as I go. This thus means when I enter a series tile I am now in the right place to start watching (or to delete a watched item until they fix the back journey to go right into the tile rather than just onto the series tile). For those though that do the opposite, keep all the episodes but watch them broadly as they appear, they will now have to scroll all the way right each time they want to watch the next one. This could turn them into a deleter like me but will more likely just frustrate them that this change has not been done to land on the oldest (partially) unwatched episode.

Dropping the quadruple sized hero tile in MyTV is much better in my opinion (although I know some liked this).

The uniform slightly larger tiles also make better use of the whole screen rather than seeing an outline of the next page's tiles poking up at the bottom. The bigger tiles then of course allow for slightly longer titles to be shown, before it was about 15 characters, now it is about 20 (although in old gen the lists allowed for about 35 characters). For me the 20 characters seems to actually be sufficient in practice to show most of my titles in full and for those that are not then ease the mental effort in subconsciously completing those that are truncated. It may of course be my recordings today are not truly representative over time of the typical title lengths I have which led me to think further on the matter of title length. I won't repeat my thinking on this 27.50.0 thread but have posted some analysis and plots relating to programme title lengths on the more general next gen MyTV feedback thread. In short it tends to show the small change from 15 to 20 characters has the potential for quite a significant impact but that 35 characters (perhaps provided across 2 lines) would cover nearly all titles fully :)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 9:39PM

There are a very few specific issues with specific TVs - plasmas can upset the YouView box seeing its remote, JVC sets cede CEC control to the YouView box, but the boxes' CEC repertoire is too limited to cope, and so on, but I know of no 'box model plus TV' specific issues.

Model nominally ought to matter, but rarely does, except that T1000s seem to have problem set of their own, seemingly stemming, in various ways , from its integrated power supply, when all subsequent models have a brick.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Chris A.Chris A. Member Posts: 74
    edited 28 April 2017, 10:49PM
    Paul26 said:

Much better now, but still would like the list option please rather than thumbnails. Bury the option in the settings/options if you have to but having the choice will be great.

I have the update now, looks ok. Tiles a bit more legible now, although I personally would still prefer a choice of lists OR tiles. I do agree with Andy Burton on this though ... " at the end of a recorded episode go back to the selected episode in the series recordings, rather than back to the main recordings page!" ... PLEASE Youview, sort this one out?  I managed to delete a few episodes of something after watching one of them. (Yes, I know it was my own fault etc, but, well, going back to the episode that you have just watched would be really helpful, and makes a lot more sense than going back to the main recorded programs view. 
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 11:00PM
    Paul26 said:

Much better now, but still would like the list option please rather than thumbnails. Bury the option in the settings/options if you have to but having the choice will be great.

Truth is Chris I would not exactly say it's your fault at the end of the day your so used to been able to remove a recording straight away unfortunately accidents happen.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 28 April 2017, 11:33PM

”So despite everything, YouView continue to get fantastic feedback for free. Clever, eh?"

Not really clever,Redchiz. As you so accurately state, this forum has always been a hotbed of good, at times, brilliant ideas. So why do phrases including such words as ’swine' and 'pearls' come to mind so easily, I wonder.
    edited 29 April 2017, 12:34AM

No. Not in this case. But the proof of course, will be in the eating of the pudding. :)
    edited 29 April 2017, 12:58AM
    Keith>
    "Being dropped on the oldest tile within a series tile is a big step forward for me."
    Indeed and I agree.
    Watch the episode and then finish watching the episode, to be then dropped onto the series tile, not live TV. Only one more key press then takes the user back onto said watched episode to then be deleted if one so chooses.
    Its a massive step forward, which hasn't finished yet.
    edited 9 May 2017, 2:05PM
    We are just rewatching TheNight Manager, courtesy of Amazon Prime, on our Firethingys. At the end of each episode, the default is that it starts the next.

That's what I want as a massive step forward.

Though of course, we don't have the issue of deleting old episodes on Amazon, or everyone who uses it would complain :-)
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • andy5andy5 Member Posts: 4
    edited 2 May 2017, 10:11AM
    i have new update on t1000 now its bricked will not connect to the net have done factory resett and still will not connect so now my machine is useless any help
    edited 29 April 2017, 8:05AM
    scott said:

Nice improvement. Keep em coming :-)

I especially like the definition between each tile now.

Also shows there is promise behind the faster rollout of improvements.

i have had the update now and will not connect to the net so did factory reset and now its stuck any help as cant set it up as it cant connect have rest router 3 times
    edited 29 April 2017, 8:52AM
    scott said:

Stuck where?
  • Otto FumblerOtto Fumbler Member Posts: 1
    edited 29 April 2017, 8:57AM

I thank churchwarden (above) for providing a detailed history of communications with YouView by some long-standing contributors, which I appreciate.
    From their many years' experience, the conclusion for the rest of us is clear:

We consumers - the millions who just want a decent PVR - should forget this YouView forum & complain instead to our own suppliers: BT, TalkTalk etc.
    We are their customers; it's up to them to sort things out with YouView - not us.
    If they can't sort it out, they'll have to look for other redress. For example: reduce our TV subscriptions to reflect the loss of service (ie lack of a fully functional PVR) - until YouView catches up.
    PVR = Personal Video Recorder - the generic name for these boxes

Others who, understandably, have an ongoing interest in s/w development will no doubt carry on the life of the forum with YouView. Nothing to be gained by us consumers here. If YouView are not listening to these long-standing & long-suffering contributors - they're certainly not going to listen to us!

YouView's lack of interest in all their efforts over the years is dismal. YouView clearly aren't listening - or choose not to hear. As CW puts it: "few requests...even acknowledged", "grateful for any crumbs", "5 years with little or no success"...
    YouView are just not listening to you all, are they?

YouView's failure to come up with any official response to all the bad feedback on this & many other forums did amaze me. But now I see it just reflects the experience of these long-standing contributors over many years.

I'm just a customer. I'm not interested in a dialogue with YouView - certainly not a one-sided one. I'm a consumer whose purchase has been damaged by an incomplete upgrade. YouView clearly knew it was incomplete - but chose to go ahead anyway (presumably for commercial reasons, which are none of my concern). They did so with no regard for the impact on customers.

Churchwarden says YouView's aim is to 'future-proof' the system by moving to new software. That may well be true, but again: it's none of my concern - nor should it be. What IS my concern is that the PVR I bought is no longer 'fit for purpose' - as defined by the 2015 Consumer Rights Act. The old software might have caused problems for YouView behind the scenes - but for the customer, IT WORKED. (sorry about the capitals, my 'bold' disappeared!) The new PVR platform should never have been implemented until it could do what the old one did - at the very least.

Ideally YouView should now withdraw the upgrade until complete but, if this is impossible, they must make redress. My own contract is with BT, so I'll seek redress that way; YouView is BT's problem, not mine.
    The 27.5 release (as described in YouView's announcement) appears to be just superficial changes to calm the masses - a sort of technological Prozac.

I totally agree with CW that sniping among forum members is pointless - probably makes YouView even less likely to pay attention (if that were possible...!). As said before, I admire the ability of some contributors to remain positive against all the odds, but I don't share that view. Sorry.

Woke up this morning to find my T2100 has automatically updated. After scrolling through the new interface, I'm disgusted by this forced new interface.

So many common functions now take longer (more inputs) to achieve my goal. However, the MAJOR issue must be the new search interface.

When entering characters, it used to be white on black. It's now blue on black, meaning it is incredibly difficult to see the character selection.

Wonder who coded this 'feature' without properly user testing? Clearly someone with pin-sharp eyesight sitting within inches of the screen they were viewing. Obviously, this isn't the case in a real world situation, so it's not good coding.

No option to roll-back, so I'm really annoyed at the YouView executive team for their utter shortsighted decision. Can only hope they are reviewing the mistakes and are fixing the coding as we speak.

Project management 101: GIRFT... Get It Right First Time
    edited 29 April 2017, 9:05AM
    scott said:

just says cant connect to net at the set up
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 29 April 2017, 9:31AM
    Roy1 said:

We are just rewatching TheNight Manager, courtesy of Amazon Prime, on our Firethingys. At the end of each episode, the default is that it starts the next.

Though of course, we don't have the issue of deleting old episodes on Amazon, or everyone who uses it would complain :-)

I think that might count as censorship :~)
    It might make an interesting thread though - "Which TV Programs Would You Delete From The Entire Planet"........
  • jim1jim1 Member Posts: 60
    edited 29 April 2017, 4:10PM

Really encouraged to see YouView responding to feedback with design improvements so speedily. If this is a pattern for the future, I may stay out of hibernation a while longer, in the hope that YouView may at last be moving in the direction of bringing the UI up to the excellence of the YouView functionality.

I'll re-iterate my oft-posted plea (5 years-worth). Please, please, please, design team - implement features with the minimum number of key-presses. Careful thought at the design stage can usually reduce the number of key-presses - in some cases significantly. Possibly using wrap-around or even making more use of the colour buttons. A brain-storming session - "How can we reduce key-presses to implement this.." may be worthwhile, and save later changes.

However, this is a really promising start. Thanks team.

@churchwarden: this wasn't quick, people have been complaining since last year. It is also only a tiny fraction of the issues that are covered.
    edited 29 April 2017, 4:18PM
    Visionman said:

This thread is for feedback from users who have 27.50 only. 
    Thanks.

Paul: NO! Not even as a joke. That's how Labour got their leader and the USA got Trump....
    edited 2 May 2017, 10:34AM
    Visionman said:

Sydney>
    "Better, but still missing the features that we had before and were coming 'soon'."

A comment you have often repeated...
    As announced by YouView here - 
    "MyTV is a top priority. Rest assured that your views and opinions shared here have been fed into the planning of further developments we are making with MyTV to bring improvements and new functionality."
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software

Thanks to feedback both on here and elsewhere, addressing My TV became the top priority for them, not the 'Soon'. And what an amazing difference its made.
    Still, can't please everyone, eh? :)

The only reason I have a youview box is an offer of the box for £5 a month on a 12 month trial of BT TV. We found - - - - all to watch on BT TV so cancelled and now have the box. As a PVR it had been great till this beta interface. Might be going back to the old freeview box now.
    edited 29 April 2017, 4:25PM
    Visionman said:

Sydney>
    "Better, but still missing the features that we had before and were coming 'soon'."

"MyTV is a top priority. Rest assured that your views and opinions shared here have been fed into the planning of further developments we are making with MyTV to bring improvements and new functionality."
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software

Thanks to feedback both on here and elsewhere, addressing My TV became the top priority for them, not the 'Soon'. And what an amazing difference its made.

The only reason I have a youview box is an offer of the box for £5 a month on a 12 month trial of BT TV. We found - - - - all to watch on BT TV so cancelled and now have the box. As a PVR it had been great till this beta interface. Might be going back to the old freeview box now.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2017, 4:28PM
    Visionman said:

Sydney>

jim, so you thought you'd make that point on a Humax retail thread? Twice? You will be sorely missed, good luck with your Freeview box. :)
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2017, 4:42PM
    Visionman said:

Robbo>
    "The icons are all very pretty, I can live with them but prefer the previous simple listing of recordings. What is totally **** is that with internet channels we can no longer start a recording at a specific point. I have a 5 hour recording of British Superbikes, I know what time a certain race is due in the recording, can I jump forward 3 hours like I used to be able to do, not now I can't."

There are comments like yours littered across the internet with all agreeing, including me.
    Whilst the return of this feature hasn't been confirmed for slotting yet, it has been fed back so YouView know do about it.
    And our common theme? We're all sport watchers and funnily enough, none of they minded the tiles, either.

Roy - I just found your reply to my question about HTML5. There has been so much happening of late that I missed it earlier.

Thank you for the explanation. I think that it would be good if a formal explanation of the reasons for the change could be made, preferably as a sticky.:-) It might take some of the heat out of the things.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 29 April 2017, 6:05PM

Really encouraged to see YouView responding to feedback with design improvements so speedily. If this is a pattern for the future, I may stay out of hibernation a while longer, in the hope that YouView may at last be moving in the direction of bringing the UI up to the excellence of the YouView functionality.

I'll re-iterate my oft-posted plea (5 years-worth). Please, please, please, design team - implement features with the minimum number of key-presses. Careful thought at the design stage can usually reduce the number of key-presses - in some cases significantly. Possibly using wrap-around or even making more use of the colour buttons. A brain-storming session - "How can we reduce key-presses to implement this.." may be worthwhile, and save later changes.

However, this is a really promising start. Thanks team.

As I am 'retail', Jim, and Nextgen began the retail rollout this February, I am impressed at the speed that they addressed landing on the oldest recording so quickly.  You must understand that this is all relative.  I have been requesting this for 5 years - even before folders were implemented - so for it to be introduced within 2 months of the new rewrite rolling out to me is quite heartening - and - yes - from my perspective - quick. I accept that it only addresses a small portion of the issues, but nevertheless indicates
    i) YouView are starting to respond to requests for change
    ii) they seem to be able to do it fairly quickly
    - all of which holds promise for the future.
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Member Posts: 137
    edited 29 April 2017, 7:41PM

Have you tried restarting your hub. You may need to go direct to YV support for that one if the harshest reset doesn't work.
  • Chris A.Chris A. Member Posts: 74
    edited 29 April 2017, 8:18PM
    Roy1 said:

Damn, done it again tonight  ... had two Coronation Streets, watched one, then when it took me back to the main view, I pressed delete and lost both of them. (Wife was busy chewing my ear off about something at the time).  Grrrrrr,  we need to go back to the last thing we have watched!
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Hmm this isnt good. BT has just started updating to 27.50 and they have had massive authentication issues, all my IP channels keep dropping out needing me to re initiate them every time I turn off and I can't watch any of my ip recordings...
    edited 29 April 2017, 8:57PM
    scott said:

Hmm this isnt good. BT has just started updating to 27.50 and they have had massive authentication issues, all my IP channels keep dropping out needing me to re initiate them every time I turn off and I can't watch any of my ip recordings...

Hi

Got a link for that?

Google gives nothing after 2016 for the search
    'bt tv authentication issues youview'
    edited 29 April 2017, 9:06PM
    scott said:

Here is one but plenty of other threads here also

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-B...

Here

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-B...

I have all the proof I need as my box is unusable at the minute
    edited 29 April 2017, 9:13PM
    scott said:

Scott>
    "Hmm this isnt good. BT has just started updating to 27.50 and they have had massive authentication issues, all my IP channels keep dropping out needing me to re initiate them every time I turn off and I can't watch any of my ip recordings..."
    I am unaware of any widespread issues re roll out to BT boxes, or Ultra T4000s either.
    As Roy asks, can you provide a link, Scott?
    edited 29 April 2017, 9:14PM
    scott said:

I just did... just read the bt forum remember this roll out has just started...