[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2017, 9:40PM
    scott said:

Hmm this isnt good. BT has just started updating to 27.50 and they have had massive authentication issues, all my IP channels keep dropping out needing me to re initiate them every time I turn off and I can't watch any of my ip recordings...

Then if the roll out has only just started you cannot say or state that it is widespread, because it quite clearly isn't...
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2017, 9:59PM
    scott said:

Hmm this isnt good. BT has just started updating to 27.50 and they have had massive authentication issues, all my IP channels keep dropping out needing me to re initiate them every time I turn off and I can't watch any of my ip recordings...

I never said it was widespread. They are your words
  • peterainbowpeterainbow Member Posts: 7
    edited 29 April 2017, 10:27PM
    Bampsam said:

Nice improvement but would still like the option of choosing the start point of a recording as I could on the original ui.

not to mention the more episodes jump off that we've lost was also very helpful
    edited 29 April 2017, 10:32PM
    scott said:

Nice improvement. Keep em coming :-)

I especially like the definition between each tile now.

Also shows there is promise behind the faster rollout of improvements.

yes good that some fixes have been rolled out quickly, would still like to see a proper bug list/feature list somewhere

bugs still outstanding for me:

info key does not work in series folders
    loss of 'more episodes'
    loss of a list view
    loss of ability to jump to time points via the play start screen which has also been removed
    still not being returned to the watched program in a series when finished

features i would like:

still no ability to create my own folders
    multi series recordings, ie when more than one series is going to be shown would be nice to flag to follow the recording into the 2nd/3rd... series
    the ability to make the info bar thing that masks a huge amount of the bottom of the screen smaller and/or to close it and/or make it very transparent
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 April 2017, 8:51AM
    scott said:

Hi Peter - you may want to take a look at The first is a list I posted on the first day that next gen launched and that I am slowly updating as things change. The consolidated lists then reach back almost 5 years capturing the main improvement requests, issues and and easy overview of how things have changed :)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 April 2017, 12:45PM
    scott said:

Or not, as the case may be :-)
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    edited 30 April 2017, 5:00PM
    scott said:

hi keith,

how about using a proper system for this rather than a text list?

you could create a github repository for youview, would allow simple sub repos and has a very good bug tracking system
    https://github.com/blog/1866-the-new-github-issues
    example in use for bootstrap https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/issues

you never know we might be able to persuade youview to use it ;-)
  • Paul EdwardsPaul Edwards Member Posts: 3
    edited 30 April 2017, 5:04PM
    mike7 said:

Can you please at least give us the option of a recordings list. The tiles are so difficult to navigate with 11 pages. Interesting that freesat has not followed your lead !!

Yes, it looks flash, but how does anyone identify something from just a picture that is a snapshot of some arbitrary point. Get the lists back, now the title is so short you cannot tell what it is. What has been improved, the old interface was a model of clarity, now it is a Christmas tree that is harder to use.
  • Paul EdwardsPaul Edwards Member Posts: 3
    edited 30 April 2017, 5:07PM
    mike7 said:

Can you please at least give us the option of a recordings list. The tiles are so difficult to navigate with 11 pages. Interesting that freesat has not followed your lead !!

Oh BTH way, now I have to explain to the elderly members in my family who are not technically oriented all over again how to use it. These changes are a great shock for these people, just as with web sites, people cannot stop messing, just for the sake of appealing to novelty.
  • SpargoSpargo Member Posts: 31
    edited 30 April 2017, 5:23PM
    scott said:

One test which I think says it all about this new tile interface is whether children can use it because in general children can work out how to use something long before the oldies can. In our house the test fails because apart from me nobody else can. The other two adults don't like it, preferring to watch live tv, and my grandchildren watch catch-up tv but not recordings unless I find them for them.
    edited 30 April 2017, 8:28PM
    scott said:

''Yes", I can hear them saying, "but recordings are so early teens" (in the century, not the age of the children).

"Didn't you know? Everything is always available somewhere.

So why record it? Learning to do that just takes up brain-space needed for more productive tasks" :-)
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    edited 30 April 2017, 8:31PM
    scott said:

Quite.

Who ever heard of anyone preferring a text list in this day and age? :-)
    edited 30 April 2017, 8:34PM
    Visionman said:

Robbo>
    "The icons are all very pretty, I can live with them but prefer the previous simple listing of recordings. What is totally **** is that with internet channels we can no longer start a recording at a specific point. I have a 5 hour recording of British Superbikes, I know what time a certain race is due in the recording, can I jump forward 3 hours like I used to be able to do, not now I can't."

There are comments like yours littered across the internet with all agreeing, including me.
    Whilst the return of this feature hasn't been confirmed for slotting yet, it has been fed back so YouView know do about it.
    And our common theme? We're all sport watchers and funnily enough, none of they minded the tiles, either.

Yes, thanks for that, and it would be great.

Now, which forum that actually supports Stickies do you think would be the best one to post it in? :-(
    edited 30 April 2017, 8:45PM
    mike7 said:

which is why apart from bug fixes new features should be put in as optionals, that way those who like it can choose to use the new features, particularly when they are GUI changes, having said that i suspect there may be issues with how much memory that these boxes have
  • Dave LloydDave Lloyd Member Posts: 1
    edited 30 April 2017, 8:49PM
    scott said:

Same issues as you Scott updated to 27.50 and can no longer watch IP recordings and problems with subscription channels exactly as you describe.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 April 2017, 8:54PM
    scott said:

I am confused now, is there any evidence that this is happening to retail Humax boxes, or just BT ones?
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 April 2017, 9:51PM
    Visionman said:

Robbo>
    "The icons are all very pretty, I can live with them but prefer the previous simple listing of recordings. What is totally **** is that with internet channels we can no longer start a recording at a specific point. I have a 5 hour recording of British Superbikes, I know what time a certain race is due in the recording, can I jump forward 3 hours like I used to be able to do, not now I can't."

There are comments like yours littered across the internet with all agreeing, including me.
    Whilst the return of this feature hasn't been confirmed for slotting yet, it has been fed back so YouView know do about it.
    And our common theme? We're all sport watchers and funnily enough, none of they minded the tiles, either.

Not this one, clearly.

Perhaps Visionman could be persuaded to give it a daily bump. :-)
    edited 30 April 2017, 10:03PM
    scott said:

Roy, I can see your point and always appreciate your humorous comments. Mine was made only half in jest. Before the UI became afflicted by tiles they quite happily set, watched and deleted recordings (our internet speed never exceeds 2 mbps which results in lots of loading pauses and other unhappy internet users so I encouraged recording) but now the recordings are building up. There seems to be an interminable number of episodes to children's programmes like Simpsons, Deadly 60, Wolfblood etc which are not being watched so free space is diminishing rapidly. Our T2000 is the 1TB version which I bought last July and there is less than 50% left now.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 30 April 2017, 10:10PM
    scott said:

Roy,
    One thing that I have observed is that the younger generations are much more dexterous, and they push the remote button sequences so fast that Nextgen can't keep up.
    Compared to a millennial's thumbs, Nextgen is very sluggish, and loses button presses. Maybe this is where the perception of "slow" that so many complain of is actually originating?
    edited 30 April 2017, 10:42PM
    Visionman said:

Robbo>

HaHa!
    Sooorry...
    But I'll tell you this - thats a superb post from Roy. To which I've just given a like. Because I missed his comment too.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 May 2017, 9:44AM
    scott said:

@redchiz it is the authenticating of the subscription that is the problem, hence a BT only issue. Anything to do with payed for content (ip channels, ip recordings, BT store purchases etc).
    edited 1 May 2017, 6:35AM
    scott said:

Spargo

2 Mbps is horrible; I bet they all have phones that go faster than that :-)

It might be quite illuminating to ask them why they are not watching so much recorded TV now, and indeed, what they are doing instead, as 0.5TB is a lot of hours they must now be filling with other activities.

Oh, and The Simpsons is not exactly a children's programme; while it will certainly keep them amused, and never needs a PG, there is razor-sharp satire in there as well, which will go whooshing over their heads to reach the adult audience it is intended for. Try watching a few :-)
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 May 2017, 9:43AM
    scott said:

scott

Thanks for clarifying.
    edited 1 May 2017, 6:11PM
    scott said:

Roy, I agree that 2 Mbps is bad. As I write this speedtest.net tells me it's 1.52. Our only hope really is  FTTP because we've been told that Superfast fibre will not improve things - the pleasures of living in the sticks. FTTP is still not available as far as our house is concerned.

Lots of the Humax recordings are series and in the 121 to 125 channel areas so quite a few are in HD which obviously takes up more space. They watch some recordings but need persuasion to delete things. Like me, they record more than they currently watch. As for mobiles, only the eldest has one, mainly for contacting us (really me) if she misses the school bus. That one is a Samsung Galaxy J3 and we suspect that it uses a lot of internet but it is obviously essential for keeping up with her social media!!

Simpsons? Yes I was a bit surprised to see it in the Schedule but I think it's cleverly written on two levels and, as you said, some goes right over their heads, they like the more basic level of it. They also watch stuff on YouTube, with child protection where possible, mostly Minecraft and other harmless stuff.

• churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 9 May 2017, 8:29PM
    Having lived with the update for a while now, I'd just like to register the major thing (but not the only one) that I find difficult to live with -  and that needs to be improved - and fairly quickly IMHO - and it isn't the tiles.

When using the 'back' key to go back in a recorded programme, the black bar appears at the bottom of the screen, and stays there for at least 8 seconds, totally obscuring the bottom quarter of the screen with a non-transparent block (if it is possible to make it transparent, I haven't found the setting yet). If you are watching something with subtitles (e.g. Follow the Money) or something that uses the bottom of the screen for its main content (such as Only Connect) then you have an unnecessarily long wait during which time what you are interested in on the screen is totally obscured. This is crazy. Why leave the bar there for more than a second - two at the most? Why not make it transparent (optionally, if you like)? 

For anyone who uses subtitles regularly, and wishes to recap the past 15 or 30 seconds, having the bar always obscuring the screen must be really annoying.  I only encounter this problem in a few programmes as outlined and find it bad enough.

There may be another key I can press to get rid of it quicker (again - haven't mucked about to find it if there is) - but for goodness sake - why? - more key presses following the 'maximise user key presses' design criteria? What is the function of the bar anyway or have I missed something?
    edited 2 May 2017, 12:04AM

Having lived with the update for a while now, I'd just like to register the major thing (but not the only one) that I find difficult to live with -  and that needs to be improved - and fairly quickly IMHO - and it isn't the tiles.

When using the 'back' key to go back in a recorded programme, the black bar appears at the bottom of the screen, and stays there for at least 8 seconds, totally obscuring the bottom quarter of the screen with a non-transparent block (if it is possible to make it transparent, I haven't found the setting yet). If you are watching something with subtitles (e.g. Follow the Money) or something that uses the bottom of the screen for its main content (such as Only Connect) then you have an unnecessarily long wait during which time what you are interested in on the screen is totally obscured. This is crazy. Why leave the bar there for more than a second - two at the most? Why not make it transparent (optionally, if you like)? 

For anyone who uses subtitles regularly, and wishes to recap the past 15 or 30 seconds, having the bar always obscuring the screen must be really annoying.  I only encounter this problem in a few programmes as outlined and find it bad enough.

There may be another key I can press to get rid of it quicker (again - haven't mucked about to find it if there is) - but for goodness sake - why? - more key presses following the 'maximise user key presses' design criteria? What is the function of the bar anyway or have I missed something?

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/the-bt-youview-update-27-50-0-still-looks-a-terrible-me...
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 May 2017, 12:28AM

As I suspected - more key presses to get round the problem. Thanks for the workaround, VM.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,622 admin
    edited 2 May 2017, 10:11AM
    andy5 said:

i have new update on t1000 now its bricked will not connect to the net have done factory resett and still will not connect so now my machine is useless any help

Needs own thread for assistance

Please reference the new conversation here: Can't connect to the internet since updating
  • June AthertonJune Atherton Member Posts: 2
    edited 2 May 2017, 1:08PM
    mike7 said:

I have to agree, for instance I watch something recorded and immediately I want to delete it which I do but it then takes me back to the tv and so then I have to press the YV button scroll along to my tv press that scroll down bring up the next program I want to watch which is often in a series, where as before I would watch delete and the list of the next programs in that series would be there instead of having to go through all the key presses to get back
    I also liked the little picture in the corner I liked many things about the old format, I really do not need these arbitrary pictures that tell me nothing 
    edited 2 May 2017, 12:10PM
    scott said:

Fibre will certainly improve on 2 Mbps, so if you can get it, you should, and I don't understand what you have been told about this.

But perhaps what you have been told is that you can't get fibre at all?

Put your postcode in the USwitch checker here and see what it says :-

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/gui...

FTTP is rare and expensive in the U.K., and if you can't get usable FTTC, you are very unlikely to be able to get FTTP.

We have 38 Mbps FTTC in rural Gloucestershire, which suffices.

Though currently I am on 300 Mbps FTTR (fibre to the router) 1000 feet up in the mountains in southern Spain.

No copper between my router and the exchange at all - the installer simply bypassed all the existing telephone wiring in the block we live in.

We don't get 300 Mbps on any one connection of course. But it blows the Ookla Speed Checker clean off the scale, with 72 Mbps down, and 81 up.

So welcome to third world Britain :-(