[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• Sarah Lovelace1Sarah Lovelace1 Member Posts: 28
    edited 7 May 2017, 1:44PM
    mike7 said:

Can you please at least give us the option of a recordings list. The tiles are so difficult to navigate with 11 pages. Interesting that freesat has not followed your lead !!

I agree..I liked the little picture..& I still ask for the recordings to be reinstated as a list rather than the pictures..please
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 June 2017, 12:46PM
    mike7 said:

Can you please at least give us the option of a recordings list. The tiles are so difficult to navigate with 11 pages. Interesting that freesat has not followed your lead !!

Would you settle for the list as an option, so as not to upset those of us who prefer the tiles?
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,573 admin
    edited 2 May 2017, 4:46PM
    scott said:

Hmm this isnt good. BT has just started updating to 27.50 and they have had massive authentication issues, all my IP channels keep dropping out needing me to re initiate them every time I turn off and I can't watch any of my ip recordings...

Afternoon all,

We're currently chasing this up with BT to get an update on this situation with authentication issues. I'll post an update once we find out more from them :) 
  • Sarah Lovelace1Sarah Lovelace1 Member Posts: 28
    edited 5 May 2017, 8:46AM
    mike7 said:

I certainly would settle for that Redchiz..as long as I can get my list..
  • SpargoSpargo Member Posts: 31
    edited 2 May 2017, 7:17PM
    scott said:

Hmm this isnt good. BT has just started updating to 27.50 and they have had massive authentication issues, all my IP channels keep dropping out needing me to re initiate them every time I turn off and I can't watch any of my ip recordings...

Roy,

I used the link you provided and for my postcode it says Standard Broadband 17 Mb (estimated 2.5 Mb) and Fibre Optic broadband up to 76 Mb.

Using the openreach site https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx I get the following statement

"Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.

This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options."

My broadband is supplied by John Lewis and is provided by PlusNet plc.

I have spoken to John Lewis broadband support (they're very good) about it and they say that changing to superfast fibre should improve stability but not the speed because of the line length which is either 6 miles or 6 km - can't remember which - probably the latter.

Gent who fitted a new TV aerial for me lives in the local village, much nearer the cabinet, and he gets about 18.

Personally the snail-like speed doesn't bother me because I'm only an occasional light user - banking and emails etc - I seldom watch catch-up TV but if there's no-one else in the house the catch-up speed is ok and there is no constant loading.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2017, 9:14PM
    scott said:

You are 6 miles or 6 km from the cabinet, let alone the exchange?
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,852 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2017, 9:42PM
    scott said:

Cabinet. Where such lengths are concerned, providing fibre doesn't increase a users speed, as fibre has a speed distance limit. So what Spargo has been told is true.
    (And for the record - sorry about that Spargo).
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 2 May 2017, 10:11PM
    scott said:

Please clarify, or give a citation. My understanding is that it is copper that has the speed/distance limit, not fibre.

Otherwise we'd never be able to surf websites in London, from the sticks, let alone those in the US or that far afield,

So yes, running fibre to a cabinet 6 copper kms from your home won't help.

But an exchange-to-cabinet distance limitation on fibre is a new one on me, which Googling has not given me any hits on, only ones about the limitations on cabinet-to-property copper lines over increasing distances.
    edited 2 May 2017, 10:15PM
    scott said:

I apologise. I have no citation to give.  
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 3 May 2017, 12:45AM
    scott said:

Here in Norfolk there is a clever scheme called WiSpire in many rural areas, which gives you wireless access from church towers (which we have a lot of here!) Although not super-fast (about 8mb) it's better than the half mb a lot of North Norfolk is stuck with.
    We're particularly lucky. Despite being fairly rural, we're less than 200 yards from the exchange, and the fibre cabinet is just the other side of the lane :~)
    edited 3 May 2017, 12:20PM
    scott said:

What about the prices though - are they reasonable, or somewhat steeple?
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:46AM
    scott said:

8mb! Luxury! A lot of people aspire to have that......
    edited 3 May 2017, 12:20PM
    scott said:

Not a chancel...
  • SpargoSpargo Member Posts: 31
    edited 3 May 2017, 12:15PM
    scott said:

Roy, Let's assume it's 6 kms. The exchange and the cabinet are in the same road so about 6 kms from both. Google Earth gives the distance as 2 miles so clearly the wire does not follow a straight line. I spoke to Joh Lewis support this morning and they are going to make enquiries about if/when fibre will be available. He said that the limiting factor was the distance.
  • CostasCostas Member Posts: 3
    edited 3 May 2017, 1:41PM
    Wilf21 said:

I haven't got this very latest Humax update as yet, but there is one feature I find problematical and doesn't look as if it's been addressed.  When I go to delete a tile, it comes up with the dialogue to confirm but doesn't actually confirm which programme instance I am about to delete (except where I am deleting a series of recordings, it seems).  I'm always just a bit worried that I may be about to delete the wrong item and so it would be useful if the delete confirmation dialogue did also confirm what programme I was just about to delete.

I do like the new Youview user interface overall.

Yes I have this problem too! But why? I have two youview humax dtr2000's that both got the update ok, but my one youview humax dtr t1000 stubbornly refuses to see an update there even when I manually try to update. Any ideas guys?
    edited 3 May 2017, 4:22PM
    Wilf21 said:

I haven't got this very latest Humax update as yet, but there is one feature I find problematical and doesn't look as if it's been addressed.  When I go to delete a tile, it comes up with the dialogue to confirm but doesn't actually confirm which programme instance I am about to delete (except where I am deleting a series of recordings, it seems).  I'm always just a bit worried that I may be about to delete the wrong item and so it would be useful if the delete confirmation dialogue did also confirm what programme I was just about to delete.

steve and costas each:-

What is the model variant of your T1000, and which release is it on?

Although the rollout for the straight 80B07000 Retail boxes shows as complete, the BT and BT Retail variants 80B08500 and 80B08530 are still rolling out, and the 530 only to 27.47.0, not to 27.50.0
    edited 3 May 2017, 3:35PM
    Wilf21 said:

Hi Roy thanks for your quick response! Please see pics... it seems I have the 80BO8500 so does that mean I just have to sit and wait for the "rollout" to hit my box? Can I not go and manually force it down? Why have the "manual check for software update" if it detects no update available? (When we KNOW there is an update).imageimage
    edited 3 May 2017, 4:51PM
    Wilf21 said:

Sorry, meant to include the link:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

Yes, you have to wait, but at least it will be 27.50.0 coming to you.

When the update is released to your box, it will generally update overnight, but if you do a manual update before that overnight, the release will download.

Think of it as possibly standing outside your door, but too polite to knock until after midnight, and a manual update as you opening the door.

If it's there, it's there; but if not, you can't reach out and drag it in, as it may still be many days travel away :-(

And of course, the message that says there is no update is carefully worded to say there isn't one available for you at this time, not that there isn't one out there somewhere :-)
    edited 3 May 2017, 6:42PM
    Wilf21 said:

That's great Roy thanks so much. And your metaphor explains it perfectly! Very good descriptive use of the English language, bordering on poetic
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 6:43PM
    Wilf21 said:

Don't encourage him! Not that he needs it... ;)
  • countryman2countryman2 Member Posts: 27
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:00PM

I thank churchwarden (above) for providing a detailed history of communications with YouView by some long-standing contributors, which I appreciate.
    From their many years' experience, the conclusion for the rest of us is clear:

We consumers - the millions who just want a decent PVR - should forget this YouView forum & complain instead to our own suppliers: BT, TalkTalk etc.
    We are their customers; it's up to them to sort things out with YouView - not us.
    If they can't sort it out, they'll have to look for other redress. For example: reduce our TV subscriptions to reflect the loss of service (ie lack of a fully functional PVR) - until YouView catches up.
    PVR = Personal Video Recorder - the generic name for these boxes

Others who, understandably, have an ongoing interest in s/w development will no doubt carry on the life of the forum with YouView. Nothing to be gained by us consumers here. If YouView are not listening to these long-standing & long-suffering contributors - they're certainly not going to listen to us!

YouView's lack of interest in all their efforts over the years is dismal. YouView clearly aren't listening - or choose not to hear. As CW puts it: "few requests...even acknowledged", "grateful for any crumbs", "5 years with little or no success"...
    YouView are just not listening to you all, are they?

YouView's failure to come up with any official response to all the bad feedback on this & many other forums did amaze me. But now I see it just reflects the experience of these long-standing contributors over many years.

I'm just a customer. I'm not interested in a dialogue with YouView - certainly not a one-sided one. I'm a consumer whose purchase has been damaged by an incomplete upgrade. YouView clearly knew it was incomplete - but chose to go ahead anyway (presumably for commercial reasons, which are none of my concern). They did so with no regard for the impact on customers.

Churchwarden says YouView's aim is to 'future-proof' the system by moving to new software. That may well be true, but again: it's none of my concern - nor should it be. What IS my concern is that the PVR I bought is no longer 'fit for purpose' - as defined by the 2015 Consumer Rights Act. The old software might have caused problems for YouView behind the scenes - but for the customer, IT WORKED. (sorry about the capitals, my 'bold' disappeared!) The new PVR platform should never have been implemented until it could do what the old one did - at the very least.

Ideally YouView should now withdraw the upgrade until complete but, if this is impossible, they must make redress. My own contract is with BT, so I'll seek redress that way; YouView is BT's problem, not mine.
    The 27.5 release (as described in YouView's announcement) appears to be just superficial changes to calm the masses - a sort of technological Prozac.

I totally agree with CW that sniping among forum members is pointless - probably makes YouView even less likely to pay attention (if that were possible...!). As said before, I admire the ability of some contributors to remain positive against all the odds, but I don't share that view. Sorry.

I utterly loath this latest update.  Is there anyway I can roll back my Humax to the previous version?  What was a perfectly quick way to see what I had recorded..at a glance...now I have to wade through and slowly slowly read each and every bloody entry.  The fact that they have reduced the number of characters in the title now means that half the time I struggle to work out what the bloody thing recorded is.

Second, is there anyway to stop automatic updates?

If not then this COS is going in the skip.
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:13PM

I thank churchwarden (above) for providing a detailed history of communications with YouView by some long-standing contributors, which I appreciate.

We consumers - the millions who just want a decent PVR - should forget this YouView forum & complain instead to our own suppliers: BT, TalkTalk etc.
    We are their customers; it's up to them to sort things out with YouView - not us.
    If they can't sort it out, they'll have to look for other redress. For example: reduce our TV subscriptions to reflect the loss of service (ie lack of a fully functional PVR) - until YouView catches up.

Others who, understandably, have an ongoing interest in s/w development will no doubt carry on the life of the forum with YouView. Nothing to be gained by us consumers here. If YouView are not listening to these long-standing & long-suffering contributors - they're certainly not going to listen to us!

YouView's lack of interest in all their efforts over the years is dismal. YouView clearly aren't listening - or choose not to hear. As CW puts it: "few requests...even acknowledged", "grateful for any crumbs", "5 years with little or no success"...

YouView's failure to come up with any official response to all the bad feedback on this & many other forums did amaze me. But now I see it just reflects the experience of these long-standing contributors over many years.

I'm just a customer. I'm not interested in a dialogue with YouView - certainly not a one-sided one. I'm a consumer whose purchase has been damaged by an incomplete upgrade. YouView clearly knew it was incomplete - but chose to go ahead anyway (presumably for commercial reasons, which are none of my concern). They did so with no regard for the impact on customers.

Churchwarden says YouView's aim is to 'future-proof' the system by moving to new software. That may well be true, but again: it's none of my concern - nor should it be. What IS my concern is that the PVR I bought is no longer 'fit for purpose' - as defined by the 2015 Consumer Rights Act. The old software might have caused problems for YouView behind the scenes - but for the customer, IT WORKED. (sorry about the capitals, my 'bold' disappeared!) The new PVR platform should never have been implemented until it could do what the old one did - at the very least.

Ideally YouView should now withdraw the upgrade until complete but, if this is impossible, they must make redress. My own contract is with BT, so I'll seek redress that way; YouView is BT's problem, not mine.
    The 27.5 release (as described in YouView's announcement) appears to be just superficial changes to calm the masses - a sort of technological Prozac.

I totally agree with CW that sniping among forum members is pointless - probably makes YouView even less likely to pay attention (if that were possible...!). As said before, I admire the ability of some contributors to remain positive against all the odds, but I don't share that view. Sorry.

"Now I have to wade through and slowly slowly read each and every bloody entry."
    Did you not have to do this before, when it was just a list of words?
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:28PM

No. I could scan down the list in a couple of seconds. Now I have to read each and every entry.  Then spend ...sorry, waste...time fathoming out what the rest of the title is as the space for the title is so limited in the latest abomination.  The old version was fast, slick and efficient.  Already started looking online for an alternative.  This latest 'update' is for those who can't read.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:31PM

It's amazing how many people have started out saying they are looking for an alternative and then come back saying they will have to accept the update as there is nothing that comes close to what YouView offer at the price. Let us know what you come up with it may help others.
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:36PM

Countryman, the closest thing to a YV that isn't a YV is Freeview Play. Have a read...
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:37PM

Simple.  I don't use Youview. I don't need Youview. I only bought this version of Humax because it was on offer and happened to have Youview. I tried Netflix.  Video choice hopeless. I tried the other one..can't remember the name..just as bad.  We are organised and record stuff so never need to use iPlayer etc. 

I therefore had a fully-functioning PVR.

I now have a brick.
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:39PM

Oh the melodrama as its nothing of the kind.
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:42PM

Well, with 89,000 odd posts you really must LOVE your Youview. Do you take it to bed with you at night?
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:46PM

No, my third YouView is in the kitchen. :)
    edited 3 May 2017, 10:30PM

Do you take yours to bed, countryman? After all, you are the one claiming your box is (well, never mind).