[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• andrew1andrew1 Member Posts: 17
    edited 10 May 2017, 3:36PM
    Having lived with this update for 3 days now I just want to go back to the old menu system. 

1. The pictures / tiles are confusing and take ages to load as you scroll.
    2. It takes more clicks to get to the same point as it used to which is annoying.
    3. When you finish a programme it doesn't take you back to the menu.
    4. You can't always read the programme name as it is now trying to horizontally in a squashed tile instead of reading as a horizontal name on a horizontal list.
    5. The fancy faded blue background when you call up a menu achieves nothing but to eat into processing time and leave you feeling like someone couldn't be bothered to get the graphics right and the first free background they found on powerpoint was the one they went with.  What happened to the days of testing stuff like this with serious user groups instead of letting the graduate go mental and choose anything they like.

Over the next week we will be looking to replace it with another box, we are probably going to buy a tv with a built in system so long as it does not look as **** and work as bad as this one.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,773 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2017, 11:08AM
    andrew1 said:

Having lived with this update for 3 days now I just want to go back to the old menu system. 

2. It takes more clicks to get to the same point as it used to which is annoying.
    4. You can't always read the programme name as it is now trying to horizontally in a squashed tile instead of reading as a horizontal name on a horizontal list.
    5. The fancy faded blue background when you call up a menu achieves nothing but to eat into processing time and leave you feeling like someone couldn't be bothered to get the graphics right and the first free background they found on powerpoint was the one they went with.  What happened to the days of testing stuff like this with serious user groups instead of letting the graduate go mental and choose anything they like.

Over the next week we will be looking to replace it with another box, we are probably going to buy a tv with a built in system so long as it does not look as **** and work as bad as this one.

Hi andrew

When you do, please pop back and tell us what you bought, and what its good points are.

We know there are several candidates, but nobody has so far come back with good reports (or indeed any reports) on such.

So we don't know if it is such a relief to get away that nobody ever comes back, or if the grass really isn't greener over there after all :-)
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • mike7mike7 Member Posts: 17
    edited 7 May 2017, 11:30AM

I thank churchwarden (above) for providing a detailed history of communications with YouView by some long-standing contributors, which I appreciate.
    From their many years' experience, the conclusion for the rest of us is clear:

We consumers - the millions who just want a decent PVR - should forget this YouView forum & complain instead to our own suppliers: BT, TalkTalk etc.
    We are their customers; it's up to them to sort things out with YouView - not us.
    If they can't sort it out, they'll have to look for other redress. For example: reduce our TV subscriptions to reflect the loss of service (ie lack of a fully functional PVR) - until YouView catches up.
    PVR = Personal Video Recorder - the generic name for these boxes

Others who, understandably, have an ongoing interest in s/w development will no doubt carry on the life of the forum with YouView. Nothing to be gained by us consumers here. If YouView are not listening to these long-standing & long-suffering contributors - they're certainly not going to listen to us!

YouView's lack of interest in all their efforts over the years is dismal. YouView clearly aren't listening - or choose not to hear. As CW puts it: "few requests...even acknowledged", "grateful for any crumbs", "5 years with little or no success"...
    YouView are just not listening to you all, are they?

YouView's failure to come up with any official response to all the bad feedback on this & many other forums did amaze me. But now I see it just reflects the experience of these long-standing contributors over many years.

I'm just a customer. I'm not interested in a dialogue with YouView - certainly not a one-sided one. I'm a consumer whose purchase has been damaged by an incomplete upgrade. YouView clearly knew it was incomplete - but chose to go ahead anyway (presumably for commercial reasons, which are none of my concern). They did so with no regard for the impact on customers.

Churchwarden says YouView's aim is to 'future-proof' the system by moving to new software. That may well be true, but again: it's none of my concern - nor should it be. What IS my concern is that the PVR I bought is no longer 'fit for purpose' - as defined by the 2015 Consumer Rights Act. The old software might have caused problems for YouView behind the scenes - but for the customer, IT WORKED. (sorry about the capitals, my 'bold' disappeared!) The new PVR platform should never have been implemented until it could do what the old one did - at the very least.

Ideally YouView should now withdraw the upgrade until complete but, if this is impossible, they must make redress. My own contract is with BT, so I'll seek redress that way; YouView is BT's problem, not mine.
    The 27.5 release (as described in YouView's announcement) appears to be just superficial changes to calm the masses - a sort of technological Prozac.

I totally agree with CW that sniping among forum members is pointless - probably makes YouView even less likely to pay attention (if that were possible...!). As said before, I admire the ability of some contributors to remain positive against all the odds, but I don't share that view. Sorry.

The box is humax HDR 1010S and the software version is uksfaa3.00.44. I bought this box for my partner, really liked it and bought a YouView humax box for my place as I don't have a satellite dish. Both interfaces were pretty much the same until YouView updated their software. So I can make a direct comparison- the freesat (free time) softwares has no tiles, list view for recordings, a timer bar on recordings, time elapsed on pause -etc all this sound familiar?
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 315
    edited 7 May 2017, 12:08PM

I thank churchwarden (above) for providing a detailed history of communications with YouView by some long-standing contributors, which I appreciate.

We consumers - the millions who just want a decent PVR - should forget this YouView forum & complain instead to our own suppliers: BT, TalkTalk etc.
    We are their customers; it's up to them to sort things out with YouView - not us.
    If they can't sort it out, they'll have to look for other redress. For example: reduce our TV subscriptions to reflect the loss of service (ie lack of a fully functional PVR) - until YouView catches up.

Others who, understandably, have an ongoing interest in s/w development will no doubt carry on the life of the forum with YouView. Nothing to be gained by us consumers here. If YouView are not listening to these long-standing & long-suffering contributors - they're certainly not going to listen to us!

YouView's lack of interest in all their efforts over the years is dismal. YouView clearly aren't listening - or choose not to hear. As CW puts it: "few requests...even acknowledged", "grateful for any crumbs", "5 years with little or no success"...

YouView's failure to come up with any official response to all the bad feedback on this & many other forums did amaze me. But now I see it just reflects the experience of these long-standing contributors over many years.

I'm just a customer. I'm not interested in a dialogue with YouView - certainly not a one-sided one. I'm a consumer whose purchase has been damaged by an incomplete upgrade. YouView clearly knew it was incomplete - but chose to go ahead anyway (presumably for commercial reasons, which are none of my concern). They did so with no regard for the impact on customers.

Churchwarden says YouView's aim is to 'future-proof' the system by moving to new software. That may well be true, but again: it's none of my concern - nor should it be. What IS my concern is that the PVR I bought is no longer 'fit for purpose' - as defined by the 2015 Consumer Rights Act. The old software might have caused problems for YouView behind the scenes - but for the customer, IT WORKED. (sorry about the capitals, my 'bold' disappeared!) The new PVR platform should never have been implemented until it could do what the old one did - at the very least.

Ideally YouView should now withdraw the upgrade until complete but, if this is impossible, they must make redress. My own contract is with BT, so I'll seek redress that way; YouView is BT's problem, not mine.
    The 27.5 release (as described in YouView's announcement) appears to be just superficial changes to calm the masses - a sort of technological Prozac.

I totally agree with CW that sniping among forum members is pointless - probably makes YouView even less likely to pay attention (if that were possible...!). As said before, I admire the ability of some contributors to remain positive against all the odds, but I don't share that view. Sorry.

For any one interested...
    The HDR-1100S, HDR-1010S and HDR-1000S all run on the same software and therefore have almost the same menus as each other with the HDR-1100S having built in Wi-Fi an extra menu appears for that one.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2017, 12:57PM

Cool, does it have a seven day backwards TV guide, Netflix.
    How many catch up players does it have
    Edit :-
    Just had a look, seems ok for people with a dish and no need for any subscription channels (certainly not me) although I presume you can see more than just now and next on the TV guide as that would really annoy me.
    Also the itv player menu looks a bit basic is iplayer better.
    Also from the review I saw showcase seemed to have tiles with writing on....really
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2017, 1:29PM

Ah. I was wondering if someone was going to bring that up... :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 10 May 2017, 7:27PM
    andrew1 said:

I suspect many people when they find something else just crack on with their lives and thank the lord they are no longer being treated with such disrespect as they were with you view.  New issues just now :

1. I can't access all of my recorded programs, it keeps saying click help or back and then nothing happens.

2. x30 speed is not x30 speed and the tv picture can't keep up and so you think you have stopped where you want to but you have gone 5 minutes past.  The graphics are so fancy on the menus there is no processing power left to show the tv picture.  What's more important the programme or you views new fancy pants menu?  

Useless update.  Roll it back and save yourself some face.
  • Philip  BalfourPhilip Balfour Member Posts: 4
    edited 7 May 2017, 3:46PM

My box was only updated the latest software yesterday. I have noticed now when I set a recording eg start time 9pm end time 10pm. If the program runs over by seconds or minutes, the recording ends at 10pm and the run over time is not recorded !! . On the old software this was a very rare occurrence The old software seemed to know when the program had started and ended if the program schedule was slightly out. Has anyone else noticed this. Looks like I may have to record the program after the one I am recording to see the end. I have a Humax  dtr-t2100 box.
    edited 10 May 2017, 7:44PM
    My box was only updated the latest software yesterday. I have noticed now when I set a recording eg start time 9pm end time 10pm. If the program runs over by seconds or minutes, the recording ends at 10pm and the run over time is not recorded !! . On the old software this was a very rare occurrence The old software seemed to know when the program had started and ended if the program schedule was slightly out. Has anyone else noticed this. Looks like I may have to record the program after the one I am recording to see the end. I have a Humax  dtr-t2100 box.
    edited 7 May 2017, 4:45PM

Are you comparing apples with apples though?

i.e., is it the same channels apparently not doing proper AR now that were doing it OK before?

While channels like the BBC are very good at getting this right, some of the more marginal channels on the higher number were never any good at it before, and still aren't.

If the above is the case, try Recordings on the channels where you know the AR used to work properly.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2017, 4:53PM

I would suggest it is all exactly the same but just someone trying to find another fault that isn't any different between software versions. All my recordings work exactly as before.
    If it only updated one day ago how much comparison time is there then.
    edited 2 June 2017, 1:06PM
    The new software should be dubbed the arthritis release.  The white box around the 'tile' aka 'waste of processing power picture' on the recording page is soooo slow.  Never have I witnessed such a poor 'upgrade'.  
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2017, 5:27PM
    andrew1 said:

The new software should be dubbed the arthritis release.  The white box around the 'tile' aka 'waste of processing power picture' on the recording page is soooo slow.  Never have I witnessed such a poor 'upgrade'.  

Ooh, I have seen some ill-thought-out remarks on here from those who seem incapable of constructive criticism, but bringing in arthritis now, that's a new one. :-(
    edited 7 May 2017, 5:32PM
    andrew1 said:

Arthritis describes perfectly the slow and awkward way in which the white box move around the screen and therefore it is the perfect way to describe the update.  It seems to me that there are too many people on here who won't have a bad word said about the new software update regardless of the obvious flaws.
    edited 7 May 2017, 5:41PM
    andrew1 said:

No, it strikes me that there are too many people on here who are not happy with the update, which they are entitled to be, but cannot articulate their views without using inappropriate language. And I don't think your metaphor even works by the way, because my box works faster now than it did before. If yours doesn't then you may have a particular issue unrelated to the update.
    edited 7 May 2017, 5:54PM
    andrew1 said:

No it strikes me that the update is pants and needs to be reversed as it is quite simply not fit for purpose.  Arthritis is a fantastic word to describe the speed of the white box moving around the screen.  Claims of a more pictorial menu running faster than a list can only mean you had a problem previously causing the list to work slowly.
    edited 7 May 2017, 5:59PM

I rarely record off the marginal channels and probably just a coincidence . I need to monitor it over a longer time frame and see the results.  I am not trying to find a fault, I am just asking if anyone has noticed a similar problem with there recording as I rarely have this happen. As I said probably just a coincidence. Thanks for your replies.  
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 7 May 2017, 8:35PM
    andrew1 said:

I think that each person speaks from their own experience.  I, for instance, am quite happy with the speed of my updated box, experiencing no NextGen slowdowns.  However, the last thing I would do would be to suggest that because that is my experience, then anyone saying different is in any way misguided.  Nor would I say that any given problem that someone else experiences IS or ISN'T caused by NextGen. No concrete evidence is available to any of us (except the YouView techies, of course), so any speculation is as likely to be correct as any other, for NextGen or against.

As someone who spent many years sorting problems in computing all I know is that, if something is working OK, and you update the software, and subsequently it is not OK, then the first thing to look at is "what's changed?". 9 times out of 10, if all else stays the same, then there lies the problem. A completely logical conclusion.

It strikes me there are too many people (just a few, actually) on here who leap on anyone saying they are not happy with YouView. Those posters are entitled not to be happy, as Redchiz so wisely pointed out above.  However, on this forum, it seems that anything posted which is NOT positive towards NextGen invokes an immediate strident challenge. It is becoming very wearing, unproductive, and tiresome. 
    edited 7 May 2017, 6:50PM
    andrew1 said:

It strikes me there are too many people (just a few, actually) on here who leap on anyone saying they are not happy with YouView.
    Really? That has never struck me at all. Name names, perhaps?
    edited 7 May 2017, 7:01PM
    andrew1 said:

churchwarden>
    "It strikes me there are too many people (just a few, actually) on here who leap on anyone saying they are not happy with YouView. Those posters are entitled not to be happy, as Redchiz so wisely pointed out above.  However, on this forum, it seems that anything posted which is NOT positive towards NextGen invokes an immediate strident challenge. It is becoming very wearing, unproductive, and tiresome."

Indeed so. Which is an observation I posted on another forum commenting on this one. And all have said its not good. And sadly no one was talking about YouView.
    edited 7 May 2017, 7:07PM
    andrew1 said:

I take it that you leapt on me ironically, Redchiz? Four minutes after I posted the above.... Do you not agree with me?
    edited 7 May 2017, 7:14PM
    andrew1 said:

Um, no irony intended, I thought you had "leapt on me?" Perhaps it is just the lack of nuance on this means of communication and discourse.
    edited 7 May 2017, 7:36PM
    andrew1 said:

If you say so, Redchiz. However, the original post at the top of this mini-thread was by Andrew, and I am now posting the tenth sub-comment under it. In all honesty, I saw nothing wrong with his original post - somewhat humourously describing his current experience with the NextGen update. (gave me a chuckle, anyway...)  I don't believe any of the sub-posts below it provide any benefit to most forum members (including my own posts - even this one!). Anyway, I vow never to get into this sort of to-and-fro again. Better things to do. Stum. Finito. Terminado. Dosta. Genug. Adios. Doviđenja. (woops - Roy will report me now for 'foreign'....)
    edited 7 May 2017, 8:21PM
    andrew1 said:

No, it's not about you.
  • mike7mike7 Member Posts: 17
    edited 7 May 2017, 10:06PM

Yes the freesat humax box does have 7 day backwards TV guide and yes there are tiles on showcase- but having had the box for at least 3 years I have no idea what showcase does, have no need for it and have never used it - subconscious aversion to the tiles perhaps! It has Netflix and all the terrestrial catch-up apps. It doesn't have now tv but I get that through Apple TV. It has been noted before that YouView means different things to different people - for me it is is not a means to get subscription services. I subscribe to Netflix but if I really disliked the product after changes I would simply cancel. I own my humax box YouView box and was very happy with it but now I dislike it very much. I can't vent my frustration by cancelling my subscription - my only option is to live unhappily with it or through it away - thanks very much YouView!
    edited 7 May 2017, 10:10PM
    andrew1 said:

There was a glimmer of an answer somewhere above :-(

On my T1000, I can move the white highlight by 27 tiles in ten seconds.

If Andrew thinks that is arthritic, then he should see my poor old mother, who has had three hip replacements and can scarcely use her hands any more, after which he would hopefully bandy the term about, if at all, then at least with more consideration.

But if he cannot obtain remotely that speed of movement, then we need to be patiently informing him that while NextGen has some acknowledged drawbacks, slow tile speed is not one of them, and his box could probably benefit from a soft reset, or a slightly more drastic one, that we could point him to.

So, andrew, can you please advance the white box as fast as you can for ten seconds (or five if you don't have that many recordings) and let us know how many tiles it traverses in that time?

Then we can decide what we should recommend for you.
    edited 7 May 2017, 11:47PM
    Mike> 
    "It has been noted before that YouView means different things to different people."

Indeed it does and well said.
    My most used feature on a YouView (being a sports fan) is the 'jump to time' feature. But I'm not aware this has been slotted for release yet, so I'll wait.
    Others want (and will shortly get) -
    Action Panel
    Discover
    Hide Channels
    You know what? I've never used one of those in my life. Beta tested a few, but never used them. Which is a perfect example that YouView indeed means many different things to many different people.
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 7 May 2017, 10:50PM
    andrew1 said:

I think it's probably the speed of use rather than the actual time the software takes to react that's the problem. I know for a fact that I can scan down a text list in a fraction of the time it takes me to zig-zag across the screen, separate out the words from the pictures and work out the missing bit of the titles - brains only have so much processing power as well. We naturally lump the two together as a single experience and, especially for fast readers, the slog through the tiles can seem interminable. It's the same with other areas where an overload of graphic information can remove focus from the actual information. I think the actual speed of the interface can become a small and largely irrelevant part of the experience.
    edited 7 May 2017, 11:08PM
    andrew1 said:

Ah, that'll be it, you're a fast reader, showing off again, eh. And yet your brain cannot... hang on... what on earth are you on about now?
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 7 May 2017, 11:32PM
    andrew1 said:

Me? I'm making a serious comment. How about you?