[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• Sandy1Sandy1 Member Posts: 44
    edited 19 April 2017, 10:47PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>
    "Nice improvement. Keep em coming :-)
    I especially like the definition between each tile now. Also shows there is promise behind the faster rollout of improvements."
    I've been amazed at how quickly they have got this out which is certainly proof its no YV 1.0.

The removal of the big tile and making all others the same size and equidistant from one another has certainly helped. The effect of which now includes wider tiles with a fuller description.
    And being dropped onto the oldest and first episode on a series record is a godsend.
    Its still not perfect but its a start.

As you say, a great response by YouView programmers.
    But as you say "now includes wider tiles with a fuller description". Only a fuller description.  Okay if you can identify a program by a picture, but not if you want to know the full description of a program - then you will know EXACTLY what the program is about.
    edited 27 April 2017, 4:02PM

Really encouraged to see YouView responding to feedback with design improvements so speedily. If this is a pattern for the future, I may stay out of hibernation a while longer, in the hope that YouView may at last be moving in the direction of bringing the UI up to the excellence of the YouView functionality.

I'll re-iterate my oft-posted plea (5 years-worth). Please, please, please, design team - implement features with the minimum number of key-presses. Careful thought at the design stage can usually reduce the number of key-presses - in some cases significantly. Possibly using wrap-around or even making more use of the colour buttons. A brain-storming session - "How can we reduce key-presses to implement this.." may be worthwhile, and save later changes.

However, this is a really promising start. Thanks team.

Hi Daniel. No, I do not have the update yet. But, as appears to be indicated by the various threads, the full title is not shown on the picture.  I cannot identify programs by a picture. I require the full program title to know what the program is about.
    As far as programming goes, having pictures to identify programs (even with a little more text as a sort of clue), is going back to cave persons putting drawings on their walls.  That description may sound harsh, but it puts the latest YouView upgrade into perspective.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 April 2017, 10:54PM

Really encouraged to see YouView responding to feedback with design improvements so speedily. If this is a pattern for the future, I may stay out of hibernation a while longer, in the hope that YouView may at last be moving in the direction of bringing the UI up to the excellence of the YouView functionality.

I'll re-iterate my oft-posted plea (5 years-worth). Please, please, please, design team - implement features with the minimum number of key-presses. Careful thought at the design stage can usually reduce the number of key-presses - in some cases significantly. Possibly using wrap-around or even making more use of the colour buttons. A brain-storming session - "How can we reduce key-presses to implement this.." may be worthwhile, and save later changes.

These are recordings we are talking about, so you don't have the vaguest idea what you have chosen to record in the first place?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 April 2017, 10:55PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>
    I especially like the definition between each tile now. Also shows there is promise behind the faster rollout of improvements."
    I've been amazed at how quickly they have got this out which is certainly proof its no YV 1.0.

The removal of the big tile and making all others the same size and equidistant from one another has certainly helped. The effect of which now includes wider tiles with a fuller description.
    And being dropped onto the oldest and first episode on a series record is a godsend.

One just presses the info button. But are you stating you don't know what your actually recording?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 April 2017, 11:02PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>

Another sad example of the way the forums (don't) work, effectively spamming the same point in different comments.  :-(
    edited 14 June 2017, 12:45PM

I understand that it is the recordings in MyTV that we are talking about.  But, if there are 5 pages of recordings, it is easier to identify them using words instead of pictures, in my case, so I prefer a words listing, not pictures.
    A picture means I have to guess what program it is. Words mean I know exactly what the program is. I can even search for that program using words. I cannot search using a picture. Sorry if I sound pedantic or old fashioned because I want to see words used to list recorded programs (I'm am fairly literate as far as IT goes).....unlike some of my spelling - looking at some of my postings!! :-)
    edited 19 April 2017, 11:06PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>

I know what I record.  I just do not recognise a recording by looking at a picture. I find it easier to identify a recording where the same name is used as was used for the program when it was listed in the Electronic Program Guide (EPG). Does that make more sense?
    edited 19 April 2017, 11:08PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>

Sorry, I should have stated that "I just do not recognise a recording by looking at a picture, A FEW WEEKS LATER". 
    edited 19 April 2017, 11:11PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>

I'm sorry but no. The description in the tiles has effectively been expanded by a third?
    edited 19 April 2017, 11:13PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>

Wait a minute, do you actually have this?
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 21 April 2017, 2:40PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>

are you stating you don't know what your actually recording?
    In many households, there is more than one person setting recordings.
    Those series recordings can run a long time.
    Recording are usually set from the EPG - which is (roughly) a text list, with text descriptions - no images.
    It makes a lot of sense and consistency, therefore, that recordings are listed, in a text-based layout that is close to the format they were originally selected.
    edited 19 April 2017, 11:22PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>

Do you have this, MrMcg?
    edited 20 April 2017, 8:17PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>

Hi Visionman.  My point is that unless the picture box in MyTV shows the whole text title of a program, it is pointless.  When I select a program for recording, I see a complete title.  Program listings throughout media, list full program titles in text. They do not list only part of a program title.
    But, I am sure your way of thinking that a picture is sufficient, is the way ahead, as the YouView programmers have not given the option of seeing a full program title in MyTV listings.
    Al  this use of the alphabet is sooo yesterday :-)  It's back-to-the-future with cave persons drawings!!  :-)
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 April 2017, 11:27PM

Near enough all my recordings show the full title on the tiles now the amount of text has been increased I have the odd one that doesn't show it but that's either on the football or on the odd movie but for me even if we just take into account the movies 99 percent of the title is there. Please try to be patient and wait till you get this update and come back at that point and tell us what you think of the new changes when you test them yourself.
    edited 14 June 2017, 12:45PM

Fair comment.
    But, considering how programming works, it is and was easy to produce the option of having a list of recordings - with the full title show - along with the date and length of the recording
  • Chew BakkeChew Bakke Member Posts: 3
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    I'm not impressed at all with the functionality on my T4000, or rather the lack of it, since the move to HTML.

Irksome 'features'...
    • Main Menu appearing when the unit is switched on - intrusive and pointless
    • carousel of channels/recordings on main menu - pointless
    • Image tiles in the MyTV recordings pages - the old list was much clearer and cleaner
    • main menu still defaults to the Guide button when THERE'S A DEDICATED BUTTON ON THE REMOTE!
    • Search offers continually updated results... in a text carousel? Who in creation came up with THAT? It would be so much easier to display a list or table of results that can be scanned through.
    Useful features that are now missing...
    • Hiding channels
    • full title appearng at the top of the guide for truncated titles in the listing
    • mini screen in guide
    • options to watch on catch-up, record or watch recording in the program info panel
    Broken...
    • volume control press-and-hold doesn't work. Now need to press multiple times to adjust it at one percentile per press.
    • stopping playback of a recording now goes back to TV instead of recordings
    Suggested improvements?
    • Either re-instate or give options for removed features
    • Options - actually give us some...
      -turn carousels on/off
      -menu timeout (3s / 5s / 10s etc.)
      -tiles or list view in recordings menu
    • Work on what makes the system easier and faster to use, instead of what looks pretty. Pay particular attention to the fact that it is primarily being operated via a remote control and therefore does not need to look like a website optimised for tablets!
    • Streamline the interface to enable features to be accessed with minimal button-presses.
    This is not meant to be a comprehensive list; it's just my take on what has made using my YouView box a chore since the leap to HTML.
    There are users on here who are criticising and complaining about this new update who haven't even got it yet. Please stop and wait until you do.
    edited 19 April 2017, 11:48PM

I'm not impressed at all with the functionality on my T4000, or rather the lack of it, since the move to HTML.

Irksome 'features'...

• Image tiles in the MyTV recordings pages - the old list was much clearer and cleaner
    • main menu still defaults to the Guide button when THERE'S A DEDICATED BUTTON ON THE REMOTE!
    • Search offers continually updated results... in a text carousel? Who in creation came up with THAT? It would be so much easier to display a list or table of results that can be scanned through.
    • Hiding channels
    • full title appearng at the top of the guide for truncated titles in the listing
    • mini screen in guide
    • options to watch on catch-up, record or watch recording in the program info panel
    Broken...
    • volume control press-and-hold doesn't work. Now need to press multiple times to adjust it at one percentile per press.
    Suggested improvements?
      -turn carousels on/off
    • Work on what makes the system easier and faster to use, instead of what looks pretty. Pay particular attention to the fact that it is primarily being operated via a remote control and therefore does not need to look like a website optimised for tablets!
    • Streamline the interface to enable features to be accessed with minimal button-presses.
    This is not meant to be a comprehensive list; it's just my take on what has made using my YouView box a chore since the leap to HTML.
    Do you even have 27.50.0 on your equipment yet?
    edited 19 April 2017, 11:52PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>

The point is if you don't have 27.50.0 your posts are not meant to be in this thread which is why you are being asked if you have the update. This thread is strictly for feedback on 27.50.0 and nothing else. No one is saying you can't have or post your oppion because that would be wrong but maybe could you start your own thread.
    edited 23 April 2017, 7:29PM
    Yet another thread trashed by users who don't and can't even relate to the topic at hand...
    This forums gone to pot.
    This thread is for feedback from users who have 47.50 only. 
    Thanks.
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 20 April 2017, 1:36PM
    My box says it's on version 28.20.0 but still only get the old version of the MyTV :(
    edited 20 April 2017, 12:22AM
    Visionman said:

Thanks.

Hi VM im sure 47.50 is a typo.
    edited 20 April 2017, 12:59AM

My box says it's on version 28.20.0 but still only get the old version of the MyTV :(

I haven't heard of that one.
    edited 20 April 2017, 2:07AM
    Visionman said:

Thanks.

Indeed.
    This thread is for feedback from users who have 27.50 only. 
    Thanks.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 April 2017, 1:07PM

Gordon don't think you should be mentioning that ;-)
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 April 2017, 8:56AM

Indeed, if you have such a version number you would presumably be on a particular trials branch and should be feeding back through an associated trials process. That such a trials branch might be behind the public release in some ways is perhaps a little surprising :(
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 April 2017, 8:27AM

Irksome 'features'...

• Hiding channels
    • mini screen in guide
    Broken...
    Suggested improvements?
      -turn carousels on/off
    Hi Chew Bakke - the points you raise above are ones generally captured by various people in various threads now spread across this forum. You may wish to compare your list above to my list from day one of the next gen release over 4 months ago and also have a look at some of the other key feedback topics listed here :)
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 April 2017, 8:57AM

You would think the trialists get to trial the software before it's released!