[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 April 2017, 10:28PM
    grassmarket - I didn't quite get that?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 April 2017, 10:35PM
    Visionman said:

"My comment on 27.50.  It is ****!!"

It is actually a significant step forward in making YV 2.0 more user friendly and is the first step in doing so. And it works. That they launched in this state? Don't shout at me, I'm just a user.

Sandy is clearly saying 27.50.0, but meaning NextGen.

This confusion of his is confusing for us :-(
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 23 April 2017, 10:44PM
    Visionman said:

It is actually a significant step forward in making YV 2.0 more user friendly and is the first step in doing so. And it works. That they launched in this state? Don't shout at me, I'm just a user.

Not in this case. Stay Standy. Especially in this case.

Look at the posts again. They are too specific to be rants but are designed to look like they are. Sadly they are nothing of the kind.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 23 April 2017, 11:03PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>
    "Nice improvement. Keep em coming :-)
    I especially like the definition between each tile now. Also shows there is promise behind the faster rollout of improvements."
    I've been amazed at how quickly they have got this out which is certainly proof its no YV 1.0.

The removal of the big tile and making all others the same size and equidistant from one another has certainly helped. The effect of which now includes wider tiles with a fuller description.
    And being dropped onto the oldest and first episode on a series record is a godsend.
    Its still not perfect but its a start.

Oh, I don't know ... seemed to achieve what I was aiming for.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 April 2017, 7:34AM
    Visionman said:

Scott>
    "Nice improvement. Keep em coming :-)
    I especially like the definition between each tile now. Also shows there is promise behind the faster rollout of improvements."
    I've been amazed at how quickly they have got this out which is certainly proof its no YV 1.0.

The removal of the big tile and making all others the same size and equidistant from one another has certainly helped. The effect of which now includes wider tiles with a fuller description.
    And being dropped onto the oldest and first episode on a series record is a godsend.
    Its still not perfect but its a start.

Then you must be some sort of Lord of Misrule, deliberately trying to disrupt the forum by encouraging people to post anything anywhere.

Or possibly you just don't understand how forums are supposed to work?

Paradoxical though, to be complaining about the presentation of NextGen being unclear and arbitrary-looking (even though it isn't arbitrary) and then advocating arbitrariness in where forum postings go.

That would be like NextGen sticking the next episode of your favourite programme under any old Series tile, thus disrupting both the Series you wanted it in, and the Series it ended up in :-(
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Sandy1Sandy1 Member Posts: 44
    edited 24 April 2017, 12:17PM

I thank churchwarden (above) for providing a detailed history of communications with YouView by some long-standing contributors, which I appreciate.
    From their many years' experience, the conclusion for the rest of us is clear:

We consumers - the millions who just want a decent PVR - should forget this YouView forum & complain instead to our own suppliers: BT, TalkTalk etc.
    We are their customers; it's up to them to sort things out with YouView - not us.
    If they can't sort it out, they'll have to look for other redress. For example: reduce our TV subscriptions to reflect the loss of service (ie lack of a fully functional PVR) - until YouView catches up.
    PVR = Personal Video Recorder - the generic name for these boxes

Others who, understandably, have an ongoing interest in s/w development will no doubt carry on the life of the forum with YouView. Nothing to be gained by us consumers here. If YouView are not listening to these long-standing & long-suffering contributors - they're certainly not going to listen to us!

YouView's lack of interest in all their efforts over the years is dismal. YouView clearly aren't listening - or choose not to hear. As CW puts it: "few requests...even acknowledged", "grateful for any crumbs", "5 years with little or no success"...
    YouView are just not listening to you all, are they?

YouView's failure to come up with any official response to all the bad feedback on this & many other forums did amaze me. But now I see it just reflects the experience of these long-standing contributors over many years.

I'm just a customer. I'm not interested in a dialogue with YouView - certainly not a one-sided one. I'm a consumer whose purchase has been damaged by an incomplete upgrade. YouView clearly knew it was incomplete - but chose to go ahead anyway (presumably for commercial reasons, which are none of my concern). They did so with no regard for the impact on customers.

Churchwarden says YouView's aim is to 'future-proof' the system by moving to new software. That may well be true, but again: it's none of my concern - nor should it be. What IS my concern is that the PVR I bought is no longer 'fit for purpose' - as defined by the 2015 Consumer Rights Act. The old software might have caused problems for YouView behind the scenes - but for the customer, IT WORKED. (sorry about the capitals, my 'bold' disappeared!) The new PVR platform should never have been implemented until it could do what the old one did - at the very least.

Ideally YouView should now withdraw the upgrade until complete but, if this is impossible, they must make redress. My own contract is with BT, so I'll seek redress that way; YouView is BT's problem, not mine.
    The 27.5 release (as described in YouView's announcement) appears to be just superficial changes to calm the masses - a sort of technological Prozac.

I totally agree with CW that sniping among forum members is pointless - probably makes YouView even less likely to pay attention (if that were possible...!). As said before, I admire the ability of some contributors to remain positive against all the odds, but I don't share that view. Sorry.

H. grassmarket.

Well said.

I have contacted the BBC, Humax & YouView with where I think their latest upgrade requires imp[rovement & how to improve it.

I understand that YouView read this forum.

So, ideally, after reading this forum they should provide a press release, admitting failures in the programming and stating they will correct it.

Unfortunately, I cannot see how they will feel  any responsibility or pressure to rectify YouView User Interface to make it intuitive to use.  So, they can remain hidden from the frustrations felt by YouView users.

Like others, I just want the YouView box I purchased to remain easy to use.
    I have used different user interfaces in control rooms and fully understand when a picture (MyTV) may be useful as a means of communication.  Sadly in YouViews latest upgrade, the pictures provide the user with either VERY little info or non at all.

Get stuck into the p[roblems YouView, issue a press release of your intentions of when and how you are going to fix the issues raised.
    edited 24 April 2017, 12:22PM
    Visionman said:

Robbo>
    "The icons are all very pretty, I can live with them but prefer the previous simple listing of recordings. What is totally **** is that with internet channels we can no longer start a recording at a specific point. I have a 5 hour recording of British Superbikes, I know what time a certain race is due in the recording, can I jump forward 3 hours like I used to be able to do, not now I can't."

There are comments like yours littered across the internet with all agreeing, including me.
    Whilst the return of this feature hasn't been confirmed for slotting yet, it has been fed back so YouView know do about it.
    And our common theme? We're all sport watchers and funnily enough, none of they minded the tiles, either.

Well said.
    Now we just require YouView to be more open with customers who had this poor upgrade forced upon them and explain if and when they are to fix it so that it is intuitive to use.
    edited 24 April 2017, 12:30PM

The following remark was supposed to be a separate 'Reply' - not a 'Comment' (sorry, Matthew). Bit new to all this forum stuff, I'm glad to say - hope I never get to thousands of points. Pints, maybe...
    I would like to be tidy & delete the comment above, but it won't let me, for some reason. So here it is again-

I'm copying part of a response from Roy (to me in an earlier thread) as it is quite important & revealing:

"So the currently missing features have to be rewritten in HTML 5 before they can be added; they can't be just dropped in, as they are in the incompatible Flash implementation of CurrentGen.

This may help explain the current reduction in functionality of NextGen; rather than wait until the rewrite was complete, Youzview and its ISP partners BT and TT elected to release it in its current state.

You may have a view about the desirability of that, or otherwise, but that is what has happened."

If Roy is correct, then YouView consciously decided to remove a fully functional PVR setup from its users, in favour of a new but significantly incomplete platform. They did so - knowing that many useful features were still missing from the rewrite & would take them some considerable time to reinstate. They knew that they were trashing a perfectly good PVR.

That is an unacceptable way to treat your customers.
    [End of copied bit]

Also... I stand by my 'trashed' remark, despite some objections above. These PVRs are designed to cope with large recording volumes - why else would they have such a huge capacity? But essential PVR tools to manage such volumes have now disappeared, making recordings impossible to find/delete. I'd call that trashing it. Judging by BT's phone call to me earlier today, to progress my official complaint - they don't disagree either.

Further evidence of trashing can be found in the lack of fast forwarding (see Robbo's post above). A PVR with capacity to record an all-day event, but only crawl through it at 30x speed (BBC iPlayer is 256x max) is not worth having - it's trashed. Many other people (here & on BT forums) have highlighted other important features & even accessibility issues that have effectively trashed it for them. It is: trashed.

To those who brightly say: 'let's give them a chance' - I admire your dogged positivity, but I don't share it.
    The bald fact is: NextGen in incomplete & so does not work as a PVR. YouView should withdraw it until they've provided at least as good PVR functionality as the previous version. If they physically can't do this, they need to issue a comprehensive & honest statement acknowledging what has happened, what is missing & how/when they will put it right. The latest 27.5 announcement is just papering over the cracks. Tiles or no tiles, big or small ones - I don't care; it just needs to work.

We are not testers - we are customers. I am a human being ☹️

Hi Roy.
    Thanks for the corrections and any confusion I have caused re upgrade versions.
    I'll leave the forum at the end of today.
    Hopefully YouView will go public with how it is going to fix its User Interface to make it more intuitive.  But, if it has been like this since the end of last year, I do not hold out any hope.
    I have contacted BBC, YouView & Humax, giving details of improvements required,  but do not hold out any hope of having a usable User Interface made available as a result of these contacts.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 April 2017, 12:38PM

The following remark was supposed to be a separate 'Reply' - not a 'Comment' (sorry, Matthew). Bit new to all this forum stuff, I'm glad to say - hope I never get to thousands of points. Pints, maybe...
    I would like to be tidy & delete the comment above, but it won't let me, for some reason. So here it is again-

I'm copying part of a response from Roy (to me in an earlier thread) as it is quite important & revealing:

"So the currently missing features have to be rewritten in HTML 5 before they can be added; they can't be just dropped in, as they are in the incompatible Flash implementation of CurrentGen.

This may help explain the current reduction in functionality of NextGen; rather than wait until the rewrite was complete, Youzview and its ISP partners BT and TT elected to release it in its current state.

You may have a view about the desirability of that, or otherwise, but that is what has happened."

If Roy is correct, then YouView consciously decided to remove a fully functional PVR setup from its users, in favour of a new but significantly incomplete platform. They did so - knowing that many useful features were still missing from the rewrite & would take them some considerable time to reinstate. They knew that they were trashing a perfectly good PVR.

[End of copied bit]

Also... I stand by my 'trashed' remark, despite some objections above. These PVRs are designed to cope with large recording volumes - why else would they have such a huge capacity? But essential PVR tools to manage such volumes have now disappeared, making recordings impossible to find/delete. I'd call that trashing it. Judging by BT's phone call to me earlier today, to progress my official complaint - they don't disagree either.

Further evidence of trashing can be found in the lack of fast forwarding (see Robbo's post above). A PVR with capacity to record an all-day event, but only crawl through it at 30x speed (BBC iPlayer is 256x max) is not worth having - it's trashed. Many other people (here & on BT forums) have highlighted other important features & even accessibility issues that have effectively trashed it for them. It is: trashed.

To those who brightly say: 'let's give them a chance' - I admire your dogged positivity, but I don't share it.
    The bald fact is: NextGen in incomplete & so does not work as a PVR. YouView should withdraw it until they've provided at least as good PVR functionality as the previous version. If they physically can't do this, they need to issue a comprehensive & honest statement acknowledging what has happened, what is missing & how/when they will put it right. The latest 27.5 announcement is just papering over the cracks. Tiles or no tiles, big or small ones - I don't care; it just needs to work.

You don't mean "fix"  and "improvements," you mean change to the way you would like it, don't you?
    edited 24 April 2017, 12:42PM
    Visionman said:

As stated elsewhere, sorry about the confusion I have caused, but I shall be off the forum at the end of today.
    Until YouView go public with this issue, this a forum is not a productive means of promoting change or a use of my time.
    I hope those that stick with the forum get the success they are aiming for.
    edited 24 April 2017, 12:45PM
    Visionman said:

Go public with what?? Are these forums not "public" enough for you? I genuinely haven't a clue what you are driving at.
    edited 24 April 2017, 12:48PM

[End of copied bit]

Hi Redchiz

Yes.  

I have provided all the details of improvements required, like many others.  Not sure what will happen to YouView's User Interface in the future. Just have to wait to see what they decide to do, following all the direct feedback and forum feedback.
    edited 24 April 2017, 12:55PM

[End of copied bit]

It is pointless me attempting to spend time producing detailed reasons
    I have provided all the details of improvements required
    Both statements of yours can't be true, can they?
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 28 April 2017, 3:53PM

[End of copied bit]

Again, boring ol' me comes in with a bit of historical detail that may clarify certain issues that are around at the moment.

Going back some years, YouView made it clear that this forum was meant to be a user-user forum, for people to post issues and difficulties they had using their YouView boxes, and for those other members of the forum who may have more experience/knowledge of the workings of the YouView box to provide online help and support - i.e. a purely user-user forum.

They used to register requests for changes/improvements, and indicate whether the changes were 'under consideration', 'planned' etc. but stopped doing that a few years ago.

That didn't stop those of us on the forum posting suggestions and requests for improvement, but as I've indicated previously, these were largely not implemented, and nor did YouView justify why not (as they had every right not to do)

It is not normal practice for entities such as YouView to issue details of planned enhancements/changes until they are actually released, and YouView are no exception.

YouView do keep an eye on the forum, but have made no commitment to respond, or reveal forward plans for the project.

All that having been said, some users may consider that YouView have a duty to respond, given the high degree of debate the NextGen release has caused. However, I personally would be surprised if they were to set a precedent by taking such action.  Instead, what I expect (perhaps naively) is for YouView to note the points, and include some of the ideas generated here into their future developments, releasing changes/new features incrementally as the product moves forward.

I don't believe that strongly worded demanding statements aimed at pressuring YouView to act differently will succeed in causing any change to this established practice.
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Thanks CW, and for the record I've missed you. :)

Right, sorry to interrupt, but time to use the forum as a Q&A -

On this 27.50 update, I'm finding pressing and holding the arrow key when scrolling across series tiles to be jumpy and jerky.
    Has anyone else experienced or encountered this?   
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 209 ✭✭
    edited 24 April 2017, 3:35PM
    Visionman said:

On this 27.50 update, I'm finding pressing and holding the arrow key when scrolling across series tiles to be jumpy and jerky.

Well, it isn't super smooth but doesn't appear to be jerky either (series of 181 episodes - takes some time)
    edited 24 April 2017, 3:39PM
    Visionman said:

181? Whoa! May I ask why?  
    edited 24 April 2017, 3:41PM
    Visionman said:

Thanks for your kind words VM. Good to be back - mixed feelings. I hope the forum settles down a bit, though. (Although I have been guilty of making some fairly pointed posts myself, in the past (chuckles))

When I scroll right on the recordings screen, the highlight moves from the top LH image to the 2nd one, and then there is a slight hesitation before it starts scrolling along the rest at a fairly constant speed - and continues scrolling to the next page, which only appears when it is already on the 3rd or 4th tile. Only slight hesitation is between tile 2 and the rest.
    edited 24 April 2017, 3:43PM
    Visionman said:

VM - it's the Simpsons and I'm waiting to see what happens when I fill the disk :-)
    edited 24 April 2017, 3:46PM
    Visionman said:

OMG, you seriously don't want to do that, Rob. As once the disc hits above 80%, you may find your box then, for want of a better word, querks.
    edited 24 April 2017, 3:48PM
    Visionman said:

Not a problem - anyway I'm at 93% and it is a second box ;-)
    edited 24 April 2017, 3:54PM
    Visionman said:

Visionman, for someone at pains to remind people to stay on topic, you seem to have rather strayed yourself?  ;)
    edited 24 April 2017, 4:08PM
    Visionman said:

Not that I'm aware? 
    edited 24 April 2017, 4:24PM
    Visionman said:

So your chit-chat with Rob about numbers of eppisodes recorded and filling the hard drive is related to this update? Easily done, then.  :-)
    edited 24 April 2017, 4:24PM
    Visionman said:

So your chit-chat with Rob about numbers of episodes recorded and filling the hard drive is related to this update? Easily done, then.  :-)

edited 24 April 2017, 5:20PM
    Visionman said:

No probs and it does actually relate to all updates, as it is a reference to the way the Seagate disk can, or sometime does, behave.
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:31PM
    Visionman said:

Ha-ha-ha, no it doesn't, but of course you know that, no worries.
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:05PM
    Visionman said:

Love-15 (but note, tactfully we don't know who was serving for the point....)

Sorrryyy. Off-topic. Slapped legs.
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:06PM
    Visionman said:

Ha. Bit brutal though!
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:10PM
    Visionman said:

Me....!!!!!! Brutal......????!!!!!

You know me better than that, Redchiz

Woops... off-topic AGAIN!