Algorithm deciding what recordings to auto-delete

MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Support
Question: What, exactly, is the priority for deleting a recorded program when the drive space is full ?

Background: I had a situation where the drive was full of unwatched and locked recordings. We started watching a recording, and half-way through, another recording started from the schedule. Because there was no space, it immediately deleted the "part-watched" program that we were watching.
This seems like a bug to me - the currently playing program should have the same protection as a locked recording.
It seems to me that a recording can be in a number of states, including a mix of:
watched / unwatched / part-watched / being watched,
locked / unlocked,
recording in progress / recording complete / recording failed,
and some other more obscure ones, perhaps.
How does the software score these criteria to decide which recording to delete?

Follow-up question: That was pre-NextGen. Has the deletion selection algorithm changed in NextGen ?

Comments

• DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Can't answer your question if I am been honest but I wanted to make sure your aware you can switch off auto delete and manage the space yourself in the settings.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 April 2017, 7:48PM
    Recording auto-deletion is performed by OEM components (which haven't changed with Next Gen) - the (public) spec that they're following says:
    The algorithm shall first delete content items that have been played starting with the oldest ... acquisition. If more space is required the algorithm should then delete unplayed content items starting with the oldest ... acquisition. When the percentage of storage that is in use has fallen below the defined threshold the process shall stop.
    The deleting of a currently-playing recording if it's the only thing possible to delete seems like a unfortunate edge-case - was it a Humax or Huawei box - I'll forward this to someone to check what's happening and if it can be improved? It's also odd that the delete actually works - if the UI tries to call the OEM API to delete a recording and it's currently playing, the API call fails.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 19 April 2017, 7:11PM
    Thanks for the reply Stephen. Makes a lot of sense, but the spec does leave something open to interpretation, and mine was that a recording being watched should be pretty sacrosanct.

It's a BT T2100 box (Humax). I can't remember the exact message given when the playback stopped, but I think it was the same message you get at the end of a playback of a normal recording. After the "wtf" moment, we searched for the recording, to resume it, and it had vanished. I then checked, and all other recordings were either locked or unwatched.
    edited 19 April 2017, 7:59PM
    Daniel4 said:

Can't answer your question if I am been honest but I wanted to make sure your aware you can switch off auto delete and manage the space yourself in the settings.

Daniel,
    Yes, I am aware of that. In fact, we chose to roll that way. Different household members have different series recordings, and some are not as good at cleaning up after themselves (if you are a parent, you'll know what I mean). So, it made sense to leave the box to manage it's own storage space. And it worked, almost. The real salt in the wound was that it is was my one chosen recording that got nuked, amongst all the dross quality programs, and it wasn't on catchup, and I had to wait a week for the highlights program to find out what happened.

On a side note, this might be a more common M.O. for many, whilst the NextGen journey from finished-watching-recording to delete-recording is so convoluted.
    edited 30 April 2017, 11:28PM
    @Stephen,
    Do you have any follow-up information on this - e.g. has anyone been able to reproduce/identify/confirm this issue?
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrMcg said:

@Stephen,
    Do you have any follow-up information on this - e.g. has anyone been able to reproduce/identify/confirm this issue?

Yes there was a pre-existing internal bug about this issue that we found and crosslinked to this thread, it's already had some discussion on it but will need to go into our usual triage process to be prioritised.
    MrMcg said:

@Stephen,

Thank you for this feedback - and on a bank holiday Sunday as well.
    It's good to know I'm not going mad ...