Thread discipline

RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
edited 20 April 2017, 1:38PM in Discussion
Please:

Check before posting that the thread you are posting in is relevant to what you are posting about.

If you are on release 27.46.0, for instance, do not post in threads about 27.47.0 or 27.44.0

If you can't find a suitable thread, the 'Find or start a conversation' box at the top of the page will let you put in a heading, find matching topics for you where you can post, or if none suit, let you start a new one.

Or you can jump right in from NEW POST at the top of the page, and start your own. (It would be clearer if this were labelled NEW TOPIC, I know).

If you find a suitable thread to post in, try to avoid the trap of posting in the first text box you see; which will probably be a Comments box.

Tempting though a Comments box might be, go right to the bottom of the page and instead post a Reply. This will sort to the latest position in the thread, which if you are familiar with forums, is probably what you expect.

But what of the Comments box? What's that for then?

Ah, this is a GetSatisfaction (providers of the forum software) special.

The idea is that if you want to comment on a Reply, you can use a Comment, and it will be sorted under the Reply.

The upside is that you don't have to quote the Reply to set the context.

The downside is that your Comment won't be at the end of the thread, can easily be missed, and may get compressed into a box you have to expand to see it.

Accordingly (and please excuse the shouting):

DONT POST A COMMENT UNLESS YOU REALLY ARE COMMENTING ON A REPLY, YOU HAVE READ THAT REPLY AND ALL THE EXISTING COMMENTS ON IT, AND YOU REALLY REALLY WANT TO POST UNDER THAT REPLY AND ABOUT THAT REPLY.

Comments can be a trap for the unwary :-(

But follow the suggestions above, and the forum will look a lot more logical and less messy.

And most importantly, your voice will be properly heard!
This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(

Comments

• MrMcgMrMcg Posts: 105Member
    edited 20 April 2017, 1:38PM
    So, are the stack-exchange sites also hosted by GetSatisfaction then ?
    They have a post/reply/comment structure, just like this.

Also, the in-built search is pretty hopeless. I have had more success using Google, but you must include in your search the
    site:community.youview.com
    in order to limit the search to this site. For example, use google to search for "roy bunker" and you get one, relevant hit (nice premonition, btw).
    However, use the search function of this site, and you get pages and pages of irrelevant stuff.
    Bottom line - a lot of the posting is so scatter-gun is because the search is so poor. Better search - better landing for enquiries.

I should have said up top - good post. I like logical. Should be presented as part of the sign-up process.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 April 2017, 9:51AM
    MrMcg said:

Also, the in-built search is pretty hopeless. I have had more success using Google, but you must include in your search the
    in order to limit the search to this site. For example, use google to search for "roy bunker" and you get one, relevant hit (nice premonition, btw).
    However, use the search function of this site, and you get pages and pages of irrelevant stuff.
    Bottom line - a lot of the posting is so scatter-gun is because the search is so poor. Better search - better landing for enquiries.

I should have said up top - good post. I like logical. Should be presented as part of the sign-up process.Hey look! A legitimate use of Comments!

Stack Exchange seems to be an entirely separate thing. But I guess ideas get exchanged, as well as stacks, so the two have would up similar :-)

Yes, the Search is utterly hopeless; using the Google site: trick, search the GetsSatisfaction Community itself for 'needle in a haystack' to follow my vain attempts to persuade them of this :-(

And when you start a Topic, GetSat finds various similar topics which it lists on the right of the screen as possible further relevant reading. Often ones it didn't find when you were pre-searching before starting the new topic, even though they pre-date it :-)

Thanks for liking my post, by the way, though I see it is already sliding down the page, except where posts like this bump it back up again.

No Stickies on GetSat, alas, and it is the poorer for it :-(
  • MrMcgMrMcg Posts: 105Member
    edited 20 April 2017, 10:24AM
    MrMcg said:

I should have said up top - good post. I like logical. Should be presented as part of the sign-up process.Already used a link to this topic. Could be very useful ...
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 April 2017, 1:38PM
    MrMcg said:

I should have said up top - good post. I like logical. Should be presented as part of the sign-up process.Saw that, Liked it :-)