T4000 Next Gen Feedback

Chew BakkeChew Bakke Member Posts: 3
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Support
I'm not impressed at all with the functionality on my T4000, or rather the lack of it, since the move to HTML.

Irksome 'features'...
  • Main Menu appearing when the unit is switched on - intrusive and pointless
  • carousel of channels/recordings on main menu - pointless
  • Image tiles in the MyTV recordings pages - the old list was much clearer and cleaner
  • main menu still defaults to the Guide button when THERE'S A DEDICATED BUTTON ON THE REMOTE!
  • Search offers continually updated results... in a text carousel? Who in creation came up with THAT? It would be so much easier to display a list or table of results that can be scanned through.
Useful features that are now missing...
  • Hiding channels
  • full title appearng at the top of the guide for truncated titles in the listing
  • mini screen in guide
  • options to watch on catch-up, record or watch recording in the program info panel
Broken...
  • volume control press-and-hold doesn't work. Now need to press multiple times to adjust it at one percentile per press.
  • stopping playback of a recording now goes back to TV instead of recordings
Suggested improvements?
  • Either re-instate or give options for removed features
  • Options - actually give us some...
    -turn carousels on/off
    -menu timeout (3s / 5s / 10s etc.)
    -tiles or list view in recordings menu
  • Work on what makes the system easier and faster to use, instead of what looks pretty. Pay particular attention to the fact that it is primarily being operated via a remote control and therefore does not need to look like a website optimised for tablets!
  • Streamline the interface to enable features to be accessed with minimal button-presses.
This is not meant to be a comprehensive list; it's just my take on what has made using my YouView box a chore since the leap to HTML.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: [Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0.

Comments

• DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Do you even have 27.50.0 on your equipment yet?
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 April 2017, 12:42PM
    Hi Chew Bakke - the points you raise above are ones generally captured by various people in various threads now spread across this forum. You may wish to compare your list above to my list from day one of the next gen release over 4 months ago and also have a look at some of the other key feedback topics listed here :)
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,618 admin
    edited 20 April 2017, 12:46PM
    Hey Chew Bakke (nice name!),

I've just moved this post to it's own new thread as it wasn't related to the release post you had initially posted on :) 

Thanks a lot for the feedback you've provided, we'll be sure to forward this onto our Product team. 

We'll look into these issues with the parts which are not working/broken for you to see if this can be resolved. 

Will get back to you asap! 
  • Astrid CulleyAstrid Culley Member Posts: 6
    edited 20 April 2017, 4:50PM
    Hiya chew bakki - all the features that are missing I totally agree with - I have left comments about them too. And the deleting of watched programmes what is all that about??? I have managed to delete programmes that I have not watched yet!!! All the changes do not make the system easier - going right around the houses to do a simple task - let's see how many clicks of the remote we can do to execute one task!!!!!!!
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Morning!

Been looking into this in a bit more detail for you so we can try and help you out with the parts which you say are currently broken. 

Regarding the remote, I've tried the same thing on the box I have here and it's working as intended (press and hold raises/lowers volume without the need for multiple presses) so it may be that your remote needs a quick reset. Can you please try doing this as shown in our guide here and let me know if that changes anything? It might also be worth trying the remote with a new set of batteries as well to give it a fresh start.

Currently stopping the playback of recordings and going back to live TV instead of your recordings is an intended feature however we understand this isn't ideal for everyone so we are looking at ways to improve this journey on this particular feature. 

Please let me know once you've tried the remote reset so we know if it fixes the issue or not :) 
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 70
    edited 30 April 2017, 12:18AM
    Sarah2 said:

Morning!

Been looking into this in a bit more detail for you so we can try and help you out with the parts which you say are currently broken. 

Regarding the remote, I've tried the same thing on the box I have here and it's working as intended (press and hold raises/lowers volume without the need for multiple presses) so it may be that your remote needs a quick reset. Can you please try doing this as shown in our guide here and let me know if that changes anything? It might also be worth trying the remote with a new set of batteries as well to give it a fresh start.

Currently stopping the playback of recordings and going back to live TV instead of your recordings is an intended feature however we understand this isn't ideal for everyone so we are looking at ways to improve this journey on this particular feature. 

Please let me know once you've tried the remote reset so we know if it fixes the issue or not :) 

Hi Sarah and welcome...

Just wondered whether you could get us an explanation/justification for "Currently stopping the playback of recordings and going back to live TV instead of your recordings is an intended feature" please?

The issues with this screen are well-documented and discussed, but I find it staggering that this was an intentional change rather than an absent-minded oversight. How exactly did the design team envisage users deleting programmes they had finished watching? Were they perhaps intending us to just fill up the box until it was bursting at the seams and then to purchase another box? Clearly the primary purpose of this aspect of the box is for time-shifting programmes and not for archiving.

I note that Sky+ also behaves the same way when you Stop a recording (and it always irritated me), but at least if you instead use the back-up key you do go directly back to your recording within the nice clear list (but lets not go there), from which you can delete with no fuss and without having to do any further navigation.

It's very rare that I will watch anything at all on live TV, maybe just the news. 90% of the time when I finish watching a recording I want to be back where I was in the list, not only to delete it but also then to pick another recording to watch.

Many thanks.

edited 25 April 2017, 4:15PM
    Sarah2 said:

Morning!

Hi all

In regards to the recordings going back to live TV instead of your recordings, this only happens when you watch a recording outside of MyTV such as through the guide or main menu. 

If you go into MyTV and select a recording, when the show ends, you'll be taken back to the recordings page rather then Live TV. 

For example, if you have 10 episodes of a show recorded and choose to play episode 2 from within the series stack in MyTV, the back journey will return the user to MyTV with the show stack highlighted. 

If you'd prefer to be taken back to the recordings page instead of Live TV, we suggest you access your recordings through MyTV instead of any other routes :) 

As before, we are always looking to improve the user journey regarding these features so any feedback is always appreciated. 
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 April 2017, 4:15PM
    Sarah2 said:

Morning!

When you access a recording though my tv I have noticed a lot of the people complaining would like you to be returned to the exact location of the recording be it inside a series stack or in my tv itself.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2017, 8:17AM
    Thanks for that explanation, Sarah.

Though it has further reinforced that as things stand at the moment, the user 'back journey' is currently inconsistent and does not have a universal approach.

Re the main Now TV page - as things stand at the moment, upon accessing it, one isn't actually dropped onto it, but above it, and is instead dropped onto the header menu (above it).
    This is a major flaw that needs addressing immediately (he says politely).
    On a personal note even I have been caught out by this and upon flicking right, thinking I'm on the main My TV page, have ended up on and in 'Scheduled Recordings'.  
    Now if even a trialist can't get this right, what chance your users?

The public release of 27.50 has been most welcome and is a (small) step change in the right direction. Phil has said that the current user 'back journey' is being worked on and when it arrives,  will be another most welcome addition.

Welcome to the family. :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • WayneWayne Member Posts: 82
    edited 17 July 2017, 5:49PM
    The landing position for MyTV is the same as Old Gen. Though I think it was obvious where you were. I'm undecided on whether I'd like it changing or not.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 April 2017, 9:34PM
    Visionman said:

Thanks for that explanation, Sarah.

Though it has further reinforced that as things stand at the moment, the user 'back journey' is currently inconsistent and does not have a universal approach.

Re the main Now TV page - as things stand at the moment, upon accessing it, one isn't actually dropped onto it, but above it, and is instead dropped onto the header menu (above it).
    This is a major flaw that needs addressing immediately (he says politely).
    On a personal note even I have been caught out by this and upon flicking right, thinking I'm on the main My TV page, have ended up on and in 'Scheduled Recordings'.  
    Now if even a trialist can't get this right, what chance your users?

The public release of 27.50 has been most welcome and is a (small) step change in the right direction. Phil has said that the current user 'back journey' is being worked on and when it arrives,  will be another most welcome addition.

Welcome to the family. :)

Visionman, ITYM MyTV. NowTV is a toehold that Sky got on YouView boxes in the early days that never even turned into a foothold.

But I heartily concur - this MyTV landing point needs addressing, as I am always doing it also.

And as I have recounted elsewhere, my wife went further with this confusion and deleted three Schedules, thinking she was deleting watched episodes in MyTV.

This, anyone hopefully does only once, as she has - no repeats of the error since - but we are both forever having to pull ourselves back from highlighting Scheduled, thinking we were moving right in Recordings.

And I think YouView owe it to their fancy new 1984-like Department for Earwigging on Customer Clicks not to have them needing to monitor this balletic three-step on countless customer clickfests :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 25 April 2017, 9:44PM
    Wayne3 said:

The landing position for MyTV is the same as Old Gen. Though I think it was obvious where you were. I'm undecided on whether I'd like it changing or not.

There was no MyTV in PreviousGen. But ISWYM.

However, there was only up and down in Recordings, so no possibility of thinking you were going to an entry on the right in that list.

Greater freedom of movement in the UI of NextGen demands greater clarity in presenting exactly where you are.

Arguably, the screen you enter from MyTV should not display any Recordings at all, just as it currently displays no Schedules, but just the two headings.

Bit list-like that, though, so have to make them tiles, I guess.
    edited 25 April 2017, 10:09PM
    Sarah2 said:

Morning!

Thank you Sarah. I'm still struggling, however, to understand the logic behind this change; if I have gone into the series stack to watch an episode, why would I want to arrive back outside the stack when it finishes? Why would I want to be anywhere other than back where I started, on the same programme, as per CurrentGen?

I understand that there are some design "features" (tiles), and some stuff that merely hasn't been implemented yet (hide channels, jump to time etc), and I've made my peace with that - but I'm utterly baffled by this specific illogical decision to drop the user one step further away where I think pretty much nobody wants to be (the time-shifter will want to delete; the binge-watcher will want the next episode), and I would really appreciate an insight into why this decision was taken.

"As before, we are always looking to improve the user journey regarding these features so any feedback is always appreciated." It can be improved, quite simply, by putting the journey back as it was before, which needed no improvement.
  • WayneWayne Member Posts: 82
    edited 25 April 2017, 10:16PM
    Wayne3 said:

It was possible to go right, if you had more than one page of recordings.
    edited 25 April 2017, 10:21PM
    Wayne3 said:

I do have a left and right within the recordings in CurrentGen, Roy... I OK into MyView, then either Up or OK into the Recordings page 1, and left or right to change page. But, the little dotty arrows don't glow blue until I've moved up into that list so I guess it might be more obvious. Maybe NextGen needs little dotty arrows...
    edited 27 April 2017, 6:11AM
    Wayne3 said:

I take your points, both, but this wasn't a mistake you would ever make from the menu bar.

As going right was the CurrentGen equivalent of paging the tiles in NextGen, and not of moving in the equivalent of the list
    edited 26 April 2017, 1:43PM
    Sarah2 said:

Morning!

Hi Rob,

Next Gen software and the journeys in the UI were developed in conjunction with extensive customer focused testing and feedback. 

As the software is more easily updated now, this does allow us to take on-board feedback to improve navigation and the journeys within MyTV in an update.

edited 30 April 2017, 12:21AM
    Sarah2 said:

Morning!

Well nobody asked me and I would have told you different, and told you exactly what everybody here is telling you :-(

This customer focused testing and feedback - was a single person you tested on an experienced YouView user?
    edited 30 April 2017, 12:22AM
    Sarah2 said:

Morning!

Thanks Sarah.

Roy I'm with you on that. Whilst the tiles have clearly divided opinion quite considerably, I don't think I've seen a single post in favour of the MyTV journey and I hope that the YouView powers-that-be are taking this feedback firmly on board, strapping it in and deadlocking the doors behind it.
    edited 27 April 2017, 6:09AM
    Sarah2 said:

Morning!

This whole 'extensive customer focused testing and feedback' continues to worry me greatly, though.

These were the same people who apparently greatly preferred the tiles in NextGen.

It's fairly easy to get the result you want from focus groups - so easy in fact that earlier in my career I was shown the pitfalls of this, and warned against the effects of conscious or unconscious bias in the process.

e.g. get a bunch of people in off the street, so to speak, show them a boring old list presentation and a sparkly graphical tile one, and it's a done deal which they are going to express a preference for.

But get a bunch of experienced YouView users in, and they may well be biased the other way, towards what they are familiar with.

So it's tough to truly objectively evaluate lists versus tiles :-(

Only usability tests will show up the true pros and cons.

Though I still recall a rather fraught A/B usability session on the UI for a new computer system we were putting in once; the users mostly preferred B by quite a majority.

While knocking the test tasks out in A roughly twice as fast.

What do you do in a case like that?

(We gave them C :-) )