[Discussion] TalkTalk software update 72.43.185/ 70.43.186

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 2 October 2017, 8:39PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Feel free to discuss the TalkTalk software update 72.43.185/ 70.43.186 here.

Comments

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,951Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    I take it this is the equivalent of 27.50.0?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Yes.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,951Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 4:39PM
    Visionman said:

Yes.

Thanks VM
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,143Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 6:01PM
    It's the equivalent of 27.50.0 for TalkTalk's newer boxes (DN372T) which had already received the Next-Gen update. But it's the very first time that their older boxes (DN370T) have been updated to Next-Gen.
  • BinzBinz Posts: 1Member
    edited 31 May 2017, 7:09AM
    Hi,
    I am after some advice on upgrading a youview box.
    I have 2 x DN372T boxes, one that came with TalkTalk contract that has already been upgraded to 'Next Gen YouView', the other bought from ebay that is still on older software. How do I get the second box upgraded as TalkTalk have told me they cannot help.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,319Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 May 2017, 8:37AM
    Binz said:

Hi,
    I have 2 x DN372T boxes, one that came with TalkTalk contract that has already been upgraded to 'Next Gen YouView', the other bought from ebay that is still on older software. How do I get the second box upgraded as TalkTalk have told me they cannot help.

The NextGen rollout for TalkTalk DN372T boxes is still in progress:

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions

Your second box should get its upgrade in due course. Report back if it hasn't got it when the rollout is complete. :-)
  • Bill MiddlemasBill Middlemas Posts: 26Member
    edited 17 July 2017, 5:49PM
    The roll out for the DN370T began w|c 24 April. It's now 30 May. Anybody got the update for this device yet and if so, has it improved performance?
  • WayneWayne Posts: 80Member
    edited 17 July 2017, 5:49PM
    My DN370T updated on 26th May. Though the software is version 70.43.186.

Phil, is the 70.44.186 in this announcement a typo?
  • WayneWayne Posts: 80Member
    edited 30 May 2017, 11:21AM

The roll out for the DN370T began w|c 24 April. It's now 30 May. Anybody got the update for this device yet and if so, has it improved performance?

There's a noticeable performance improvement now my DN370T has updated from OldGen to NewGen.
    edited 30 May 2017, 11:52AM

Champion. Gonna be worth this wait then.
  • Anis HussainAnis Hussain Posts: 1Member
    edited 31 May 2017, 5:01AM
    Binz said:

Hi,

hi guus i just wanted to know how can i force update my DN370T Youview box because i cant get my Internet working on it thanks
    edited 31 May 2017, 5:46AM
    Binz said:

Hi,

Got to Settings, Device Management and then Software Update.

It isn't finding it for me, but that's how you do it. Without a full system reset
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May 2017, 8:45AM
    Binz said:

Hi,

Well, it certainly won't find it for Anis, ever, even when it's available to him, if he can't get the Internet working on his box. That is a much more fundamental problem.

Anis, first reboot your router, then, if you have PLAs, the one nearest the router then the one nearest the YouView box.

If this does not fix things (e.g. you still cannot access the BBC iPlayer) proceed as follows:-

Firstly, try a soft reset - while not recording nor about to, press the On/Standby button on the fascia of the box for just over 8 seconds, until it soft reboots.

This is better than a power cycle, as long as your box is still responding.

See if this improves matters.

If not, you will need to use a Maintenance Mode Reset. The instructions are here:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

If you have internet connectivity OK, I suggest an Option 4. If not, an Option 2. And if this restores internet connectivity, then do an Option 4.

Each of these will preserve your recordings, but not much else, so you will have to retune, re-pair devices with the YouView App on them, re-establish any non-standard Settings, and possibly recreate your recording Schedules also, so make a note of any of these things before you start.

If the Mode2/Mode 4 does not fix things, your last-ditch option is Mode 5, also available as Factory Reset in Settings. This, unavoidably, deletes your recordings, but is the only option available when recording/schedule problems do not yield to a less drastic reset.

Hopefully, one of the above will work for you; but if not, then, as above, it is new box (or no box) time :-(
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
    edited 31 May 2017, 7:13AM

I trust you are aware you may find a few minor changes in this new release, and a few minor features temporarily absent on a short-term basis?
    Holding my breath....
    edited 31 May 2017, 7:20AM

Yeah, but they aren't ones I tend to use now. I just want the apps to stoopcrashing aking an age to open or lock the box up needing a reboot.

I also want the guide to be qhicker and to change channel everytime without an unexpected 20 second delay.
  • jadejade Posts: 8Member
    edited 11 June 2017, 11:56PM
    ***sigh*** the only good thing about the upgrade is that I will watch less TV as all the features that I used have gone :(Looks like it's time to get a different box - shame as I was very happy with it before. Like others I am completely baffled as to how such a bad 'upgrade' was signed off....
    edited 31 May 2017, 9:26AM
    jade said:

***sigh*** the only good thing about the upgrade is that I will watch less TV as all the features that I used have gone :(Looks like it's time to get a different box - shame as I was very happy with it before. Like others I am completely baffled as to how such a bad 'upgrade' was signed off....

That would be a very good question to ask TalkTalk.
    Holding my breath....
    edited 31 May 2017, 4:51PM
    jade said:

I am very confused - who owns and designs the software for youview boxes - is it talktalk? Or does each provider BT etc have their own software?
    edited 31 May 2017, 4:54PM
    jade said:

I believe they have inout to say what they want, such as TalkTalkplayer, but it is Youview who code and develop it. So the base Youview design is the same across BT, TalkTalk and other standalone devices from Humax that can be bought in shops or online.
    edited 31 May 2017, 5:05PM
    jade said:

That's what I thought - so asking talktalk why this 'upgrade' was rolled out when it is so awful won't be much help? I guess these forums are the only place I can vent my dismay.....
    edited 31 May 2017, 7:11PM
    jade said:

I believe that BT and TalkTalk each write their own 'players', no doubt with some initial guidance, and later just guidelines, from YouView, while YouView write the rest of the code.

And the ISP Players are now a more integral part of the YouView experience than the ghetto they were in before, which is perhaps why the ISPs were pushing to get NextGen out there.

Hence my comment....

And from what I can glean from some of the things that Visionman has said about BT TV, I get the impression that BT might have grokked NextGen rather better than YouView have, and the BT Player exemplifies this.

The plan seemed to be that Retail would get NextGen last, Retail being the tiny rump of YouView users, after which YouView could drop CurrentGen like a hot potato and concentrate on fixing NextGen, but it didn't quite happen that way.

So BT and TalkTalk were both in the vanguard, and bringing up the rear, which is quite an achievement :-)
    Holding my breath....
    edited 31 May 2017, 7:32PM
    jade said:

That is complete speculation and is also untrue. Perhaps you'll get a more complete answer later....
    We seem to be clashing a lot lately, with opposite views. I'd just like to state its not something I enjoy.
    edited 31 May 2017, 8:07PM
    jade said:

To be honest, this shouldn't be something we all have to argue about. We are all at the hands of our Service Providers and Youview. We don't have a personal gripe with each other. We just want our systems they provide to be reliable, quick and a pleasure to use.

Hopefully this is coming for us all.
    edited 31 May 2017, 9:49PM
    jade said:

Hi Bill

Well, you asked, and I said what I thought was the case, that the ISPS write their own players, but other than that, you are largely correct.

And I was not, I hope, arguing with you; this is an area where there is an objective truth which we are both seeking, but in the absence of hard information, we have to proceed by informed speculation, deduction, and wild- **** guessing :-)

Hi Visionman

The watchword is thesis, antithesis, synthesis.

I have put up my thesis, you have stated you have an antithesis, unspecified as yet but which you may put up later, and I hope that when you do, we will reach synthesis.

I much prefer to have my informed speculation tested in the fires than nodded through unchecked, and there are few people here more well equipped to stoke those fires than you are, so never worry that I will take umbrage.
    Holding my breath....
    edited 31 May 2017, 10:22PM
    jade said:

Me? No chance. And your informed speculation is just that.
    edited 31 May 2017, 10:23PM
    jade said:

Sorry, my words did not mean I see arguments between us, just that we are all speculating on a relative unknown to us.

At the end of the day, I just want the update. Sorry to have made it seem more than that.
    edited 1 June 2017, 7:09AM
    jade said:

No worries, Bill.
    Holding my breath....
    edited 1 June 2017, 7:50AM
    jade said:

Visionman:-

"Do not simply put down the opinion or advice given by others. If you don't agree with it, say why - respectfully. Don't just tell them they're wrong. "
    Holding my breath....
    edited 1 June 2017, 7:52AM
    jade said:

I'd never do that. I always respect everyone's opinions. Not sure if anything I wrote said as such, don't think it did, but it was not my intention so if it came over like that, then I wholeheartedly and unreservedly apologise.
    edited 1 June 2017, 10:51AM
    jade said:

Nothing to apologise for Bill. Nothing at all. :)