[Discussion] BT software update 27.50.0

Comments

• stokesd3stokesd3 Member Posts: 137
    edited 24 May 2017, 10:21AM
    Visionman said:

I've just pressed stop on tonights recording of Southampton Vs Man Utd on SS1 with 7 minutes to go (to the end of the recording). It kicked me out to live TV.
    BT YV T2100 on 27.50, watching IP channel SS1 HD 337. 

I've seen this occasionally but haven't mentioned it because I can't replicate it.
    edited 24 May 2017, 10:16AM
    TrickyLG said:

So... I watch an episode of a recorded series... It defaults back to the main menu... I select delete... And it deletes the whole series... Nice s

I'm leaving BT too!

Still never seen this without the warning myself
    edited 24 May 2017, 10:22AM
    Visionman said:

I've just pressed stop on tonights recording of Southampton Vs Man Utd on SS1 with 7 minutes to go (to the end of the recording). It kicked me out to live TV.
    BT YV T2100 on 27.50, watching IP channel SS1 HD 337. 

I've seen this occasionally but haven't mentioned it because I can't replicate it.

It may be a slightly different scenario but pressing stop takes you back to live TV instead of MyTV.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 May 2017, 12:14PM
    TrickyLG said:

So... I watch an episode of a recorded series... It defaults back to the main menu... I select delete... And it deletes the whole series... Nice s

I'm leaving BT too!

Chris A

I think you might be confusing me with zulu 17 :-)

stokesd3 (fresh from your triumph on GetSat)

Yes, even with the ordinary Confirm Delete turned off.

But the issue is that if you are used to that ordinary Confirm Delete, and you think you are deleting just one episode, you go 'Oh yes, the usual Confirm Delete', press OK, and the whole Series is gone.

It would greatly help here if the focus were on Back, not Delete, so an unthinking press would take you safely out, and a positive decision were needed to up arrow before pressing OK, if you really did want to delete the Series.

Stephen?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 May 2017, 12:15PM
    TrickyLG said:

I'm leaving BT too!

You want people to press Back instead of Delete when they want to Delete?
  • TrickyLGTrickyLG Member Posts: 3
    edited 24 May 2017, 12:51PM
    Kklou1985 said:

I just want to give my feedback on the new layout...it's so unusable that we are looking to switch providers, having read you cannot roll back to the list view.

Below are just a few of the things we are struggling with;

1. Recorded series layout, oldest first - with no way to jump to the most recent? For my kids I have, for example, 50 recordings of Bing. To watch the most recent, I actually have to scroll through all 50. I can't even press the left button to jump to the newest. Awful!

2. You can't select a new point at which to start a recording, say, 10 mins in.

3. When you are finished with a recording in a series, and hit the back button, it sends you straight back to the mytv tile list of all recordings of all of your shows, not to the list of recordings for that show. So you then have to find the show again, find the next recording again, ...very annoying!

4. In my recorded series of shows in mytv, I can no longer tell what I've watched, what I've half watched and what I haven't. If I take my time I can see, but it's not intuitive like it should be, and not quick and easy to use anymore.

5. I have no option to go back to the old list view....why not? I think that would be a brilliant test for bt, and would show just how unpopular this updated view is.

So now we are looking to leave bttv and find a new provider. It's a real shame as I have raved about this to so many people who have left competitors and are really happy, now I think it is terrible and can't wait to get a new supplier with a layout that has actually been thought through, even if it costs more.

Let me know who you choose - and whether you're happy with them - your complaints are exactly the same as ours!
  • TrickyLGTrickyLG Member Posts: 3
    edited 2 June 2017, 11:25AM
    TrickyLG said:

I'm leaving BT too!

Yes, get the standard delete message, but I'm too used to just pressing yes - it would be better to return to the list of available episodes in the series (like it did before), rather than back to the menu - If I'm watching 1 episode, I'm more likely to want to watch the next one straight afterwards rather than something else
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 924 ✭✭
    edited 24 May 2017, 1:34PM
    TrickyLG said:

I'm leaving BT too!

Totally agree TrickyLG, it's confusing if you are used to previous setup. It needs to be revised & better setup. How many users have already accidently lost series recordings in error since nextgen? John
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    edited 24 May 2017, 1:58PM
    TrickyLG said:

I'm leaving BT too!

redchiz

No, I want the person who is on autopilot when they press OK to activate the Back option on this screen, not the Delete option.

If they really, really, do want to Delete, they can up arrow before pressing OK.

As the text (List) presentation of my suggestion apparently isn't clear, here is a graphical (Tile) version :-)

though it might be hard to see that the white box says Back'...

I agree with anyone who thinks this should be properly fixed, but my suggestion is for an interim fix to replace the existing unsatisfactory interim fix until the proper fix can be made.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • StompaStompa Member Posts: 38
    edited 9 June 2017, 2:46PM
    TrickyLG said:

I'm leaving BT too!

I don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but even the dialogue for deleting single programmes is poor, in that it doesn't mention the name of the programme you are about to delete.
  • ManfredManfred Member Posts: 21
    edited 24 May 2017, 7:32PM
    Kklou1985 said:

I just want to give my feedback on the new layout...it's so unusable that we are looking to switch providers, having read you cannot roll back to the list view.

1. Recorded series layout, oldest first - with no way to jump to the most recent? For my kids I have, for example, 50 recordings of Bing. To watch the most recent, I actually have to scroll through all 50. I can't even press the left button to jump to the newest. Awful!

3. When you are finished with a recording in a series, and hit the back button, it sends you straight back to the mytv tile list of all recordings of all of your shows, not to the list of recordings for that show. So you then have to find the show again, find the next recording again, ...very annoying!

4. In my recorded series of shows in mytv, I can no longer tell what I've watched, what I've half watched and what I haven't. If I take my time I can see, but it's not intuitive like it should be, and not quick and easy to use anymore.

5. I have no option to go back to the old list view....why not? I think that would be a brilliant test for bt, and would show just how unpopular this updated view is.

So now we are looking to leave bttv and find a new provider. It's a real shame as I have raved about this to so many people who have left competitors and are really happy, now I think it is terrible and can't wait to get a new supplier with a layout that has actually been thought through, even if it costs more.

Quick comment in defence of "Recorded series layout, oldest first" in 27.50.0 - this is one of the changes since 27.47.0 which had "newest first".

Of course, we'd all be happy if you could jump (or loop around, as we used to be able to do!) but, as we can't, I complained about "newest first" and was relieved that it got changed.

I was falling behind with my series viewing and had to keep scrolling backwards through 30+ recordings of Voyager (which was on 2 or 3 times a day!) to find the oldest programme to watch, and repeat that process all over again in order to find and delete it.

If I'd wanted to keep the series forever, I'd have probably bought it on disc... although I'm not pontificating, it's just that my previous YouView box died - along with all my recordings - so I know this one probably won't last forever either :o)

edited 24 May 2017, 7:34PM
    Kklou1985 said:

Good points there Manfred. And if you had your 50+ series on DVD how quick do you reckon it would be to access each episode?  ;)
    edited 24 May 2017, 7:34PM
    Kklou1985 said:

Good points there Manfred. And if you had your 30+ series on DVD how quick do you reckon it would be to access each episode?  ;)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 May 2017, 9:24PM
    I've noticed a few comments stating individual episodes don't show if they have been watched, part watched or are un-watched. But the they actually do.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Margaret SchofieldMargaret Schofield Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 May 2017, 9:45AM
    I pay hard earned money to connect to BT.TV. BT upgrade is worse than bad...I AM THINKING OF GOING BACK TO SKY TV (I just hope their customer service has improved)
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May 2017, 9:45AM

I pay hard earned money to connect to BT.TV. BT upgrade is worse than bad...I AM THINKING OF GOING BACK TO SKY TV (I just hope their customer service has improved)

If you return to SKY you would have to take their SKY Q offering which in essence isn't much different in appearance but costs a lot more...

The return journey from a recording is much better but be assured YouView are hearing us loud and clear on that one...

• jim1jim1 Member Posts: 60
    edited 27 May 2017, 10:09AM
    After 3 weeks I like it no better, and in many ways worse. The tiles do my head in. Having to use down and sideways keys instead of just one way is backwards step. 
    Just getting to them in the opposite way to previously and with an extra step is dreadful. (right press twice then down not left press once then up from the youview button) 
    The titles are still too short - 
    "Fossil Wonderlands:N..." and 
    "New: Secrets of the S..." for example. 
    That jump back to the series summary tile rather than the programme you've been watching - already deleted a series in error. I wholly agree with the feelings above that delete should at least tell you what it is deleting. 
    I've also had the issue since nextgen of more instances than before of recordings starting just too late, and two of them stopping before the programme ended. 
    Just now we watched the latest episode of Lethal Weapon, and caught the announcer saying that it will be back in two weeks. I no longer trust youview so I checked the scheduled programmes - it has gone. So now I have to set an alarm for next week to reset the recordings for the following week. 
    On oldgen, my wife could fast forward the adverts and restart just as they ended. Under nextgen, she can't get it to do the same - it rolls on past and then overshoots on rewind. 

Thank goodness the Youview app on Android still uses words and lists and is far faster for setting recordings. And I can untick the box so it does not update, just in case in their infinite wisdom youview decide that will get tiles too. 
    edited 9 June 2017, 2:47PM
    jim1 said:

After 3 weeks I like it no better, and in many ways worse. The tiles do my head in. Having to use down and sideways keys instead of just one way is backwards step. 
    Just getting to them in the opposite way to previously and with an extra step is dreadful. (right press twice then down not left press once then up from the youview button) 
    That jump back to the series summary tile rather than the programme you've been watching - already deleted a series in error. I wholly agree with the feelings above that delete should at least tell you what it is deleting. 
    I've also had the issue since nextgen of more instances than before of recordings starting just too late, and two of them stopping before the programme ended. 
    Just now we watched the latest episode of Lethal Weapon, and caught the announcer saying that it will be back in two weeks. I no longer trust youview so I checked the scheduled programmes - it has gone. So now I have to set an alarm for next week to reset the recordings for the following week. 
    On oldgen, my wife could fast forward the adverts and restart just as they ended. Under nextgen, she can't get it to do the same - it rolls on past and then overshoots on rewind. 

Thank goodness the Youview app on Android still uses words and lists and is far faster for setting recordings. And I can untick the box so it does not update, just in case in their infinite wisdom youview decide that will get tiles too. 

Thats funny, I think its the way forward. That they are going to improve it there is no doubt. 
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 May 2017, 8:36AM
    jim1 said:

Hi Jim - your Lethal Weapon series link should work fine in 2 weeks time. YouView retains all series link info for 13 weeks after the last transmitted episode. However, if there is no episode in the current week then it does not display these items in the scheduled list. So your box is behaving as it always had in that if there is a break in the series it disappears from view in scheduled and then automatically pops back up once you get within 7 days of the next episode.

A good example of this is say F1, where the races/transmission run throughout the year but are not on every week. Once can set the series link in March and it will work through to November even though across that period there will have only been 20 weeks of transmissions. In the gaps the item vanishes from the schedule list but is still there hidden in the background.

In the past it has been suggested there needs to be a way to see these entries if desired, e.g. to check it is still there as you wished to do, or to remove one that you no longer want but for which the next episode is not within a week.

For more info see item 96 in the consolidated list of updates and feature requests :)
    edited 27 May 2017, 8:50AM
    jim1 said:

Picking up on some of your other comments
    • scrolling through the tiles - whilst not a substitute for a cleaner list view, one can just use left and right to scroll back and forth through the tiles, when you reach the end of the row it then jumps up/down to the next one. One would hope YouView are still considering an option for an alternate list view though for those that prefer it and for accessibility reasons.
    • title truncation on tiles - I find the new 20 character limit an improvement over the previous 15 character limit. As I have suggested elsewhere (see my analysis of title lengths in this other post) though, there is plenty of area on each tile so I would prefer them to use that area for more visible text, i.e. 2 lines for the title (and hence 40 characters of space which compares favourably to old gens 35), and a further line for the number of episodes rather than it scrolling into view only when on that tile.
    • the back journey out of a record to the tile episode you entered on is something YouView say they are working on and will return soon. That should make things better for everyone removing the frustration at the poor current journey and minimising the risk of deleting whole series etc. If they could further adjust the inward journey to go the oldest (part) unwatched episode they would have got this right for most people. For bonus points they can then add a wrap around feature so you can go from the oldest to newest and vice versa, and also a binge watch feature so one can chain episode playback :)
    • I've not noticed any change in the frequency or level of clipped recordings. The mechanism of accurate record used to trigger the starts and stops has not changed so it should be as accurate/inaccurate as it has always been. You may want to open a new topic/conversation with a specific example so YouView and others can investigate that further.
    • For advert skipping I tend to use the skip buttons rather than fast forward/rewind. With the skip buttons I tend to find 4 forward is right for many programmes and for some channels it is 5. In some cases it may require 1 or 2 skip backs (forward being 1 minute and back being 15 seconds).
    • One would assume YouView will have further updates for the app in due course, whether it is tiles or not we will all have to wait and see ;-)
  • Richard HowleyRichard Howley Member Posts: 2
    edited 28 May 2017, 8:06PM
    Grunders said:

Having just had the update, I was immediately disappointed for 5 reasons and wish I hadnt had it:

1,  when calling on a recording for playback we can no longer enter the user choice of playback begin time (ie, tap in 10:00 to start playback after 10 minutes in to the program).  Now it seems to be either from the start of the program or wherever you left off watching. Terrible.  This is highly important to be brought back.  Imagine a recording that is 3 hours long (like a film) and you stop at 2 hours.  When you resume the next day you want to start from 1 hour in again to remind you where you had seen up to or want to show a scene to your partner at a specific point you noted.  Now you cant without the ball-ache of laborious rewinding/fastforwarding.

2,  The GUIDE which shows the *popular* programs on show now for quick select is typically showing the SD versions (channel 1, 2, 3, 4 etc).  I never watch SD channels (big screen, fuzzy pictures with SD) so they are pointless and take up space.  Need the choice to remove the feature or tailor it to show only HD versions of the channels.

3,  On the old software, during INFO of a program (eg channel 1)  would show similar to "Available on HD/Watch on HD" where you can effectively go to the HD equivalent channel.  Now it doesnt show this.

4,  The 'background program image', although can be turned off if a distraction, is no substitute for the 'mini preview' window that used to show in the corner whilst browsing the guide.  Now we have completely lost the ability to keep an eye on the current program whilst taking time to review our guide and MyTV options.

5, The program 'splash screen' image of the recorded programs are hiding the full program titles.  Titles used to be seen in full in the old text based system but this flash version concentrate more on distracting image to the detriment of clear visible program title information (where it is longer than, say, 4 words).  Example, it would now show "The Graham Norton S"   instead of "The Graham Norton Show".   Or "New Celebrity Juice:.."  instead of "New Celebrity Juice Xmas Show" (which is a very different show to the normal one).  This is VERY bad. You would need to start to watch the program before being able to determine which it is (or press INFO).  Why should we have to do this?! (A clear sign of style over substance).

I wished I hadnt done the update.  It was a backwards step in favour of using program imagery and removed some key useful features.

Re point 1.... I completely agree. I am watching the giro and the daytime live prog is 4 or 5 hours long. I record it and then watch bits and the last hour or just the last hour. 240 bloody clicks of the >>| button gets me there! PLEASE get it fixed, and send your HCI/Media designer on a course. It's a real problem.
    edited 29 May 2017, 1:29AM
    Bump.
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 305 ✭✭
    edited 29 May 2017, 4:08PM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

Why do you do this?

By posting your "bump", you have served little purpose other than to help hide Richard Howley's complaint less than half an hour earlier.
    edited 29 May 2017, 1:26AM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

Yes. Which btw isn't the posters fault, but the forum's.
    edited 29 May 2017, 1:29AM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

skiller, if you want a one one one, go for it by starting a conversation.
    edited 29 May 2017, 7:48PM
    Time for a 'Ban the Bump' campaign, I think, if it is going to be so badly misused as here.

I can understand bumping a neglected thread that someone thinks deserves more prominence.

But this bump, as skiller rightly observes, serves no purpose other than to obscure Richard Howley's comment, which everyone would probably miss - were it not fo skiller's helpful link back to it.

So why bump?

To penalise Richard, perhaps, for not understanding how this beknighted forum software works?

Or possibly to draw attention to its shortcomings, as if those had not already been debated ad nauseam?

The kind thing to do, in either case, would have been to repeat Richard's Comment as a Reply at the end of the thread, or link to it as skiller did, with a note to the effect that this was a more effective way to be heard :-(
    edited 29 May 2017, 9:21PM
    "Time for a 'Ban the Bump' campaign, I think, if it is going to be so badly misused as here."

You misunderstand me. I have already given my reasons for doing so above. Didn't you see it?
  • Richard HowleyRichard Howley Member Posts: 2
    edited 29 May 2017, 4:24PM
    Visionman said:

"Time for a 'Ban the Bump' campaign, I think, if it is going to be so badly misused as here."

You misunderstand me. I have already given my reasons for doing so above. Didn't you see it?

I don't understand how this site works And as such I apologise if my post was inappropriate in any way. I found it when I was searching for an answer to the question " how do i start a recording 1 hour from the start, without having to click a button 60 times or wait fir the FF to get there at *30 speed?" I take it from the responses that it's simply not possible which in my view is a serious systems design oversight. I feel I am qualified to make such a judgement because a) I am a user, and b) my PhD is in the area of systems design and I am capable of spotting poor design, perhaps a more neutral question may be "why can't I start my recording one- hour in?"
    edited 29 May 2017, 5:41PM
    Visionman said:

Hi Richard - a perfectly reasonable and fair question to ask :)

The short answer at the moment remains this feature is currently missing from the next gen software.

It is now 6 months since next gen began rolling out, and the roll out is expected to complete in June. In late April we saw the first feature tweaks/fixes come through and hopefully more will arrive over the coming months.

Whilst YouView have made no mention of whether they will bring back this feature, I and others will continue to champion its return :)
  • GrundersGrunders Member Posts: 131
    edited 29 May 2017, 5:41PM
    Visionman said:

I think your comments and question is perfectly valid.  Your observations have been noted by many already and, in fact, the old version of the software perfectly well have the ability to state your starting position.  Unfortunately Youview designers of this new software decided to remove it. 

Only they have the ability to design software and the interface and therefore their way must be right (and comments/ideas by others with Software Design expertise or even just end users must be ignored as they cant possibly know anything), right?

A raft of complaints observations about the new poor alternative design has already been made with plenty of referencing to the old version as a comparison for decent display/features - we still await evidence and recognition if any of these remarks/opinions are being heard and reacted to.  The problem is that there are some playing devils advocate or even genuinely like the new design and seem to shout dpown anyone that suggests otherwise.