[Discussion] BT software update 27.50.0

Comments

• Andy BushAndy Bush Member Posts: 64
    edited 4 July 2017, 9:40PM
    Andy Bush said:

Now lived with this s/w for a couple of months. I don't know if they have been tinkering with it without updating version numbers but seems to becoming less reliable. Have to keep cold booting. Is there a way I can revert to old version of software?

It is a DTR T1000. How do you do a Maintenance Mode 4 reset?
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 July 2017, 9:32AM
    Andy Bush said:

Now lived with this s/w for a couple of months. I don't know if they have been tinkering with it without updating version numbers but seems to becoming less reliable. Have to keep cold booting. Is there a way I can revert to old version of software?

Here you go: https://support.youview.com/youview-b...
    edited 7 July 2017, 6:55PM
    Andy Bush said:

Soft restart didn't make any difference, however maintenance mode 4 reset seems to have done the trick (fingers crossed)

It's worth mentioning to folks that it takes ages to respond with anything after doing the button press. In fact I thought nothing was happening the first time and tried again. You just get a blank screen.

Many thanks for your help

Andy
  • GrundersGrunders Member Posts: 131
    edited 9 July 2017, 4:03PM
    I thought I had seen or read about all the bugs.  But no, here is another one:

but then

• zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    edited 9 July 2017, 11:55AM
    Grunders said:

but then

I imagine this scenario has occurred due to the BBC changing the schedules and programming on BBC1 and BBC2 (SD and HD) to accommodate Andy Murray's match v Fognini. That would have resulted in EPG changes and indeed they moved the EastEnders across to BBC2. I take it you are not actually missing any recordings ?
    edited 9 July 2017, 12:19PM
    Grunders said:

but then

Actually, it isnt related to that at all.  The (rescheduled) recording on BBC2 took place correctly - and in fact if you look carefully the 1 recording that is still showing available is actually that BBC2 recording.

In fact, there were 2 recordings (one for BBC1 thursday and one for BBC2 Friday) and we have since deleted the Thursday recording. This has left the 1 recording.  Unfortunately, the deleting of that recording hasnt told the software to

a, change the 'summary count' of recordings to 1 instead of 2 (or even remove it completely as all single episodes normally appear) and
    b, remove the tile appearance of a 'group'/series record (because there is only 1).
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    edited 9 July 2017, 12:30PM
    Grunders said:

but then

Well I think Youview did well to accommodate the extremely late rescheduling of the Friday broadcast. As you have now explained that you did in fact have 2 recordings and that you have deleted  one but have a incorrect count remaining at the series tile level that gives a clearer picture of the issue. I think some earlier issues with episode count  have been reported in this forum.
  • Steven6Steven6 Member Posts: 20
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Hey you guise, I actually found something I like! I was pleased to see I can now delete whole collections of recordings en-masse, in the previous (far superior) software version, I had to delete each episode one-by-one.
    edited 9 July 2017, 12:48PM
    Steven6 said:

Hey you guise, I actually found something I like! I was pleased to see I can now delete whole collections of recordings en-masse, in the previous (far superior) software version, I had to delete each episode one-by-one.

Yeah, a good feature until you backout/stop a playback of a recording and press delete (thinking that like the old version you are only deleting that one recording that you were just watching) and instead you delete the whole series because in reality it takes you back to the main page and highlights the whole group instead.

You wont be liking it then.

(Are you sure you couldnt delete a group/series with a single press (and confirm) of the DELETE button in the old version?  Im not so sure ......)
    edited 9 July 2017, 2:18PM
    Steven6 said:

The problem is that it is all to easy now to do that by mistake as which ever way you now exit a recorded programme being played, you are returned to the top level group thumbnail rather than where you originated the play from.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 July 2017, 3:48PM
    Steven6 said:

It is worth noting YouView have addressed the poor back journey in the newer retail software version 28.26.0 released a month ago (and also then pushed for TalkTalk boxes too a little later). When this newer software/this feature will hit the BT boxes time will tell. Being returned to the specific tile one enters on clears up the confusion and saves time and button presses :)
    edited 9 July 2017, 2:55PM
    Steven6 said:

Interesting, thanks Keith.  Do you have nay other information on what has been addressed?  (Where do you get your information from?)
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 July 2017, 10:31PM
    Steven6 said:

A summary of each update can be found in the consolidated list of updates and changes. The info I put there is what I know of the updates and links to the update announcement for each new software version. YouView are rather sparing on details though.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 July 2017, 3:49PM
    Steven6 said:

p.s. you could absolutely delete a whole series of recordings in one action in the first-gen software, this isn't new to next-gen
    edited 9 July 2017, 3:51PM
    Grunders said:

but then

Grunders - does it fix itself when you leave the Recordings screen then go back in? I'll have a look tomorrow if this has been fixed internally - I know something similar has been, but I'd have to check here
    edited 9 July 2017, 3:52PM
    Steven6 said:

Thought so. The problem is that with this version you can inadvertently find yourself deleting a whole series when you THINK you are at an individual recording (because you have exited playback).  That didnt happen in the last version.
    edited 9 July 2017, 3:55PM
    Grunders said:

but then

Im not sure Stephen.  As I look at it now it does show correctly (the screen shot was from Friday after immediately watching and deleting the (now missing) episode.  The box has been in to standby several times since then).  I personally dont have the available recordings to do the test at the moment.
    edited 9 July 2017, 3:58PM
    Grunders said:

but then

Ok, if it's just the temporary issue, the recordings screen not reflecting changes made in the episode list screen, then that has been fixed internally and will make its way out soon
    edited 9 July 2017, 4:00PM
    Steven6 said:

Yes, that was a regrettable change for users expecting the old behaviour, but as Keith points out we've restored the old behaviour now, and it's in progress of rolling out eventually to everyone
    edited 9 July 2017, 4:03PM
    Grunders said:

but then

Cheers.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 July 2017, 5:47PM
    Steven6 said:

Yes, this is whole experience is in the process of being further improved. The YouView team have publicly stated they are committed to improving NexyGens user journey.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 9 July 2017, 5:59PM
    Steven6 said:

Ooh I hope I get in before you get a chance to edit, NexyGens sounds so much sexier!  :)
  • youwhatyouwhat Member Posts: 29
    edited 9 July 2017, 5:53PM
    Steven6 said:

They certainly improved my journey....onto Freeview Play where the UI grass is greener and the ability to download SD recordings (in MPEG2) onto my other devices so I can watch them anywhere, like an entire series while flying to Australia :)
    edited 9 July 2017, 5:56PM
    Steven6 said:

Ooh, I LIKE that!  Now you REALLY have my attention.  Now I am even more serious at looking away from this carcrash UI.  Having the ability to download your recordings is brill and something I would have wanted here when I chose the youview box (for its original look and functionality)
    edited 9 July 2017, 5:57PM
    Steven6 said:

Freeview Play lets you download onto other devices? But yay, have a great journey to Australia, brilliant. Watching SD for 23 hours, do they even let you do that that on the plane? If so make sure you book an optician for when you get there. :)
    edited 9 July 2017, 6:04PM
    Steven6 said:

If anyones flying to Australia there should be HD headrest screens built into the back of the seats. :)
    edited 9 July 2017, 6:13PM
    Steven6 said:

I was thinking that as well. But obviously if you prefer to have your own stuff downloaded in SD courtesy of Freeview Play then youwhat will post back here soonest and tell us where we're all going wrong. Unless by downloading onto other devices s/he means via SCART or suchlike onto an old HDD recorder? In which case taking it onboard with the cabling and monitor etc. might just play havoc with the hand baggage rules.
  • youwhatyouwhat Member Posts: 29
    edited 9 July 2017, 6:48PM
    Steven6 said:

Visionmanredchiz 
    The plane example was just that, didn't take long for you guys to have a pop though, did it? and HD is not everything unless you're watching on a big screen. 
    Not even going to dignify a response to your questions.
    I am happy on Freeview Play and not going to get into silly Youview fanboi games.
    edited 9 July 2017, 6:52PM
    Steven6 said:

But enough for you to post back? Whatever, and each to their own...
    edited 9 July 2017, 6:54PM
    Steven6 said:

Hey newbie, joking aside, you were the one who claimed Freeview Play is superior because of its download capabilities, can you explain further please?