[Discussion] BT software update 27.50.0

Comments

• chris1981chris1981 Posts: 14Member
    edited 10 June 2017, 7:16PM
    I have BT TV and think the new update is terrible,  when I start up I seem to have to click to TV guide and off again to actually watch a show.
    The fact I cant hide channels I don't have is a step back and its impossible to navigate the BT TV section,  I am strongly thinking of abandoning this service
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,199Administrator admin
    edited 5 May 2017, 3:26PM
    chris1981 said:

I have BT TV and think the new update is terrible,  when I start up I seem to have to click to TV guide and off again to actually watch a show.
    The fact I cant hide channels I don't have is a step back and its impossible to navigate the BT TV section,  I am strongly thinking of abandoning this service

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting along with the new update. 

When you turn your box on, you can press the blue YouView button on your remote and this will make the main menu disappear in 1 click.

Although hidden channels is not a feature currently on Next Gen, it is something we are working on reintroducing in the near future. 

We are looking into ways to improve the user journeys to make it a better experience for those using it so feedback is always appreciated :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 8 May 2017, 1:52PM
    chris1981 said:

I shall try the "youview" click when I get in later.  but can this not just be turned off? its not a helpful feature at all and I don't really see why I have to click anything once ive turned the box on!

The second bug is now that as a BT customer I only have the standard definition subscription,  if I search for a program it puts the HD versions I am not subscribed to first so I have to scroll for a long time to find what I want.  I am guessing that this is as they are no longer hidden but its making it unusable.

I am finding the BT TV section very clunky and the green "show whats free to me" just doesn't work properly and will randomly start giving me subscription shows.

I am struggling with my recordings, why cant we just have a clear list of show and date like we used to? I record a few series and just seem to have pages of what looks like the same recording picture.  Some recordings I cant even guess what they are from the picture displayed!

The guide doesn't scroll back to 1 (BBC) when you have gone through the 700+ numbers which isn't helpful as you have to continuously scroll back up 

My box has also frozen a number of times since the update

seriously you have put this out without the end user in mind in my opinion, it wasn't really broken before
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017, 4:16PM
    chris1981 said:

Chris, you can scroll up and down the EPG in jumps if you want to and jump the EPG page by page by pressing the channel up or down button. No need to scroll.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,924Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017, 4:18PM
    chris1981 said:

But not beyond the top and bottom of the channels list, sadly.
    edited 5 May 2017, 4:19PM
    chris1981 said:

I can skip in chunks but its not as nice as having it scroll back round to 1,
    if your just looking through the whole list to look for something to watch then its much more cumbersome than its necessary to be
    edited 8 May 2017, 10:09AM
    Hey! I've just noticed the episode picture tiles are all different on most of the series provided by the BBC (All Round to Mrs Browns, Doctor Who, etc). I also notice the BBC1 HD screened film Guardians of the Galaxy just has the BBC logo on it, so I guess they didn't have the rights to display a picture.
    Much better, but I take it these pictures are provided by the broadcaster, which could be and probably is problematic where older series are concerned, such as Fraser or Friends. 
    edited 5 May 2017, 4:30PM
    Visionman said:

Hey! I've just noticed the episode picture tiles are all different on most of the series provided by the BBC (All Round to Mrs Browns, Doctor Who, etc). I also notice the BBC1 HD screened film Guardians of the Galaxy just has the BBC logo on it, so I guess they didn't have the rights to display a picture.
    Much better, but I take it these pictures are provided by the broadcaster, which could be and probably is problematic where older series are concerned, such as Fraser or Friends. 

I guess like in most respects the BBC will, or will attempt to be, state of the art. The rest are driven by other motives.
    edited 5 May 2017, 4:32PM
    chris1981 said:

"But not beyond the top and bottom of the channels list, sadly."
    Yes, you can...
    I think I'll leave that one hanging, because I'm feeling naughty. :)
  • StephenStephen Posts: 684Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017, 4:35PM
    chris1981 said:

I think Visionman is probably teasing that you can quickly press 000 or 999 to jump to the top and bottom (as has always been the case)
    edited 5 May 2017, 5:00PM
    chris1981 said:

Why Stephen.... nope! I can get the new Next Gen EPG to act as a carousel. Which is a feature sadly missing in all of Next Gens features.
    C'mon! Hmm.... thats got your brain ticking... :)
  • StephenStephen Posts: 684Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017, 5:10PM
    chris1981 said:

Is it anything to do with your penchant for calling the Miniguide an EPG?
    edited 5 May 2017, 5:10PM
    chris1981 said:

Yep! :) Have a like.
  • StompaStompa Posts: 38Member
    edited 5 May 2017, 5:12PM
    Visionman said:

Having just received the unwelcome update, I find that only the first 18 of my existing 84 recordings have pictures, the rest are blank.
    edited 5 May 2017, 5:20PM
    chris1981 said:

Oh flippin eck, my YV's just gone west. Loss of sound followed by total magenta screen. I'll fix it later.

From memory, press EPG button 1 (BBC1 SD), from there, hit the left or right arrow key and one now goes into the full screen mini guide which displays 1 EPG channel at a time. Now flick 'up' and bingo! One is now on channel 810 (tinypop).
    edited 5 May 2017, 7:09PM
    chris1981 said:

Good grief.
    edited 5 May 2017, 5:27PM
    chris1981 said:

OK, Stephen was right. Its far easier just to hit 999.
    edited 5 May 2017, 5:28PM
    chris1981 said:

OK, Stephen was right. Its far easier just to hit 999.
  • StompaStompa Posts: 38Member
    edited 5 August 2017, 10:04PM
    Grunders said:

I would also say (having just had another play around) that navigating around is just FAR too slow compared to old.  For example, navigating around the program images on the (awful) grid of Recordings is slow. [press cursor - watch the blue box take half a second to sliiiiide (yawn) to the next box....and so on].  Previously the navigation was almost instant and super responsive (again - something I looked at when making a choice of what box or tv package to buy). Compare this to the response in list mode (ie, in GUIDE) and you can see what I mean.

This whole 'graphical' thing has knocked this box backwards.  Who cares on *pretty smooth  sliding*.  Once again, style over substance.

And then this:  why did they move the MyTV option 2 clicks away from the default option when pressing the blue YouView button?  Before, it would go to GUIDE, press left, and be on 'MyView'/Recordings.  Now we have to go 2 clicks to the right.  Given that GUIDE and MyTV are going to be THE most used functions in daily use you would expect to find them the first default choices.  (Not to mention more battery and usage for the remote - shortening its ultimate lifespan).

I agree the sliding blue box is irritating. But then the entire UI is significantly more sluggish than the old style version.
    edited 5 May 2017, 5:45PM
    Grunders said:

I would also say (having just had another play around) that navigating around is just FAR too slow compared to old.  For example, navigating around the program images on the (awful) grid of Recordings is slow. [press cursor - watch the blue box take half a second to sliiiiide (yawn) to the next box....and so on].  Previously the navigation was almost instant and super responsive (again - something I looked at when making a choice of what box or tv package to buy). Compare this to the response in list mode (ie, in GUIDE) and you can see what I mean.

This whole 'graphical' thing has knocked this box backwards.  Who cares on *pretty smooth  sliding*.  Once again, style over substance.

And then this:  why did they move the MyTV option 2 clicks away from the default option when pressing the blue YouView button?  Before, it would go to GUIDE, press left, and be on 'MyView'/Recordings.  Now we have to go 2 clicks to the right.  Given that GUIDE and MyTV are going to be THE most used functions in daily use you would expect to find them the first default choices.  (Not to mention more battery and usage for the remote - shortening its ultimate lifespan).

But then the entire UI is significantly more sluggish than the old style version.
    Not for me it isn't, one of the benefits of NextGen is that it has speeded up my venerable old T1000 significantly. If you have any specific performance issues it may be better to raise them separately.
    edited 5 May 2017, 5:51PM
    Grunders said:

No it isn't. There should be about a 50% increase in speed throughout all operations on Next Gen, 60% on Player access and the BBCs Red Button near instantaneous (apart from the BT Player and Netflix, as they, for now, remain the same). Though if any user is experiencing slow down, they should start their own Q&A problem thread to address the matter. 
    edited 5 May 2017, 6:03PM
    chris1981 said:

I'd also like it noted Stephen knows far more about YouView than I do. Respect.
    edited 5 May 2017, 6:40PM
    Visionman said:

Are they pre-Next Gen?
    edited 5 May 2017, 7:13PM
    The BT YouView platform has approx 1.7m users. The BT YouView forum (Next Gen thread) has approx (up to now) 840 comments on it and they are not all negative. Though both for and against all agree it needs much work to update and improve.
  • GrundersGrunders Posts: 129Member
    edited 7 May 2017, 3:27AM
    More feedback of problems for youview (and I would put money on that no one has reported this yet):

1,  I had recorded "The Graham Norton Shows" on BBC1 last week.  Tonight I came to play it back.  In MyTV, the 'tile' had the correct still image of the program and I began watching it.  After some minutes I stopped playback and had a browse around the system.  Then I came back to resume watching the program.  This is now how the tile of The Graham Norton Show (BBC1) now appears in my recordings:

It now has the TINYPOP/KIX App avatar (as found in the players/apps menu)!

2, Oh, and the Players/Apps:  this is how the Players/Apps appear in the selection bar:

Note that the "All 4" app (3rd one in) shows up as The Graham Norton Show!  (And yes, if I select it it does load up the All 4 app).

3, Also (for the next problem) note that Demand 5 does show correctly in the above picture (4th along).  Now look at how it appears if I go in to the detailed expanded menu of the Apps:

Here you see that the "All 4" app DOES show correctly (and not as "The Graham Norton Show" as it does in the selection bar), but now Demand 5 has lost its avatar (as well as S4C - both of which displayed correctly on the Player/Apps selection bar).
    edited 5 May 2017, 9:37PM
    Grunders said:

More feedback of problems for youview (and I would put money on that no one has reported this yet):

1,  I had recorded "The Graham Norton Shows" on BBC1 last week.  Tonight I came to play it back.  In MyTV, the 'tile' had the correct still image of the program and I began watching it.  After some minutes I stopped playback and had a browse around the system.  Then I came back to resume watching the program.  This is now how the tile of The Graham Norton Show (BBC1) now appears in my recordings:

2, Oh, and the Players/Apps:  this is how the Players/Apps appear in the selection bar:

Note that the "All 4" app (3rd one in) shows up as The Graham Norton Show!  (And yes, if I select it it does load up the All 4 app).

3, Also (for the next problem) note that Demand 5 does show correctly in the above picture (4th along).  Now look at how it appears if I go in to the detailed expanded menu of the Apps:

Here you see that the "All 4" app DOES show correctly (and not as "The Graham Norton Show" as it does in the selection bar), but now Demand 5 has lost its avatar (as well as S4C - both of which displayed correctly on the Player/Apps selection bar).

Valuable feedback, I agree. But on the "BT software update 27.50.0" thread? Maybe not?
    edited 6 May 2017, 7:42AM
    Grunders said:

Why not?  Where would you rather me post back feedback about this awful software update of 27.50.0 for the BT Youview Box?

(Its better than posting on an Indesit Washing Machine Review site. Or is it?!)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017, 9:41PM
    Grunders said:

You lose - these 'slipped tile' issues have been reported before :-(

But not, I think, as well documented and qualified as in your examples above :-)
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now
    edited 5 May 2017, 9:42PM
    Grunders said:

From your screenshots you have a TalkTalk box do you not?
    edited 5 May 2017, 9:43PM
    Grunders said:

Yeah but....but....not with Graham Norton appearing on an app!   I win.  :-D  :-D