[Discussion] Humax software update 28.23.0

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Administrator Posts: 1,040 admin
edited 2 October 2017, 9:38PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Please feel free to discuss the Humax software update 28.23.0 in this thread.

Note: This update doesn't have any new features but has a few minor bug fixes included.
Tagged:

Comments

• Andrew BellingerAndrew Bellinger Member Posts: 11
    edited 9 May 2017, 5:36PM
    What bugs have been fixed?
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Administrator Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 9 May 2017, 5:52PM
    Hi Andrew,

Some of the changes in the new software are very small so you won't see them. The most noticeable fix in this software is for a small number of programmes that when recorded would not playback correctly.

Phil
  • Andrew BellingerAndrew Bellinger Member Posts: 11
    edited 9 May 2017, 7:38PM
    Ok thanks
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 May 2017, 6:03PM
    So YouView are happy to rollout another software update but with no significant improvements.
    For over five months we have known that there were three significant features that needed to be restored.
    Is it conceivable that after all this time none of these are ready for release?

The promise was that the "move to the Cloud gives us the opportunity to make large scale changes, add functionality and enhance features in days or weeks..."
    But we're not seeing this.

So it looks like YouView may be planning a "big bang" update perhaps in about six weeks time. Which will then take several more weeks to rollout.
    Will it restore the big three missing features (and improve the MyTV journeys)?
    Who knows...
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 9 May 2017, 9:21PM
    jimb said:

So YouView are happy to rollout another software update but with no significant improvements.
    For over five months we have known that there were three significant features that needed to be restored.
    Is it conceivable that after all this time none of these are ready for release?

The promise was that the "move to the Cloud gives us the opportunity to make large scale changes, add functionality and enhance features in days or weeks..."
    But we're not seeing this.

So it looks like YouView may be planning a "big bang" update perhaps in about six weeks time. Which will then take several more weeks to rollout.
    Will it restore the big three missing features (and improve the MyTV journeys)?
    Who knows...

Didn't a few people suggest that they might wait until a full roll out had been completed to start adding stuff back? It would be great if some of the things discussed here would make it into an update, at least it would give us hope.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 May 2017, 7:32PM
    Apparently, according to some, YouView are no longer allowed to release bug fix and speed improvement only updates, which is something they have done for years.... 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,896 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 May 2017, 8:14AM
    Visionman said:

Apparently, according to some, YouView are no longer allowed to release bug fix and speed improvement only updates, which is something they have done for years.... 

...but always in the context of an otherwise complete product offering......
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 May 2017, 8:44AM
    Visionman said:

Will YouView ever be a complete product offering ;-)

I am hoping not, I want to see constant change.

Before anybody jumps in, I am joking. We know there are some big holes in Next Gen but they also did say they would wait till full roll out was complete before introducing new features (or bringing back old ones). I will be happy for small updates as long as the larger releases with the features also roll out fairly regularly. 

I do struggle to make sense of the software listings though. Why was 27.50 that contains new features just an update and yet a whole major number change to 28.xx contain only bug fixes.

Maybe there is something at work behind the scenes ;-)
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,014 ✭✭
    edited 12 May 2017, 9:19AM
    Visionman said:

I do find the ordering on this page confusing

https://support.youview.com/YouView-b...
    edited 12 May 2017, 10:37AM
    Visionman said:

I could think of at least one logical reason ... probably wrong as it is pure speculation

Maybe the 27 builds are conversion builds from old gen to next gen whereas 28 is an incremental build on Next gen. It does seem only so far to be being applied to boxes where the next gen conversion is completed.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 June 2017, 11:29PM
    Ooh, version numbers, drool... ;)

edited 12 May 2017, 10:41PM
    Hmm, it might be a bit quicker than that.
    edited 12 May 2017, 10:51PM
    Visionman said:

I wonder what 28.1.0 to 28.22.0 looked like? :-)
    edited 13 May 2017, 10:21AM
    Visionman>
    "Apparently, according to some, YouView are no longer allowed to release bug fix and speed improvement only updates, which is something they have done for years.... "

Roy>
    "...but always in the context of an otherwise complete product offering......"

But you have been complaining for years that YouView has never been this.
    edited 12 May 2017, 11:42PM
    Visionman said:

Visionman>
    "Apparently, according to some, YouView are no longer allowed to release bug fix and speed improvement only updates, which is something they have done for years.... "

Roy>

As you had started this subthread, I was adopting your viewpoint, possibly also YouView's, and not my own.
    edited 12 May 2017, 11:57PM
    Visionman said:

Visionman>

Roy>

Thanks. It would seem that in the current climate anything YouView does is getting slaughtered lately. 
    YouView 2.0 is here to stay, but that it will improve is undoubted. And compared to YV 1.0, rapidly.
    edited 13 May 2017, 8:39AM
    Visionman said:

Visionman>

Roy>

Ummm... having seen the speed with which it is currently being updated, do you not share my unease about the rate at which this can be accomplished?
    edited 13 May 2017, 11:34AM
    This forum is rather quiet at the moment, with the result that *some* have nothing better to do than roam around it dishing out condescending sarcasm and starting really pointless arguments. Sad.
    edited 13 May 2017, 9:42AM
    Visionman said:

Visionman>

Roy>

No, I think the next update is going to surprise everybody. Including me. I hope.
    But thats me, ever the optimist!
    Yet after saying all that.... I've still not had this optimisation update. You?
    edited 13 May 2017, 10:21AM
    Visionman said:

Visionman>

Roy>

No. Perhaps we have to wait in the queue, like everyone else :-)
    edited 13 May 2017, 10:47AM
    jimb said:

This forum is rather quiet at the moment, with the result that *some* have nothing better to do than roam around it dishing out condescending sarcasm and starting really pointless arguments. Sad.

edited 24 May 2017, 6:06PM
    In the first two years of YouView there were 15 updates:
    December 2012, January 2013, February 2013, March 2013, April 2013, June 2013, September 2013, October 2013, November 2013, December 2013, January 2014, March 2014, May 2014, June 2014, October 2014

This list does not include maintenance updates or duplicates (BT/TalkTalk, iOS/Android).

So anyone who believes that YouView 2.0 is improving more "rapidly" than YV 1.0 is clearly delusional.
    edited 13 May 2017, 11:34AM
    jimb said:

Another Star Trek reference Roy?
    :-)
    edited 13 May 2017, 1:48PM
    jimb said:

December 2012, January 2013, February 2013, March 2013, April 2013, June 2013, September 2013, October 2013, November 2013, December 2013, January 2014, March 2014, May 2014, June 2014, October 2014

This list does not include maintenance updates or duplicates (BT/TalkTalk, iOS/Android).

So anyone who believes that YouView 2.0 is improving more "rapidly" than YV 1.0 is clearly delusional.

And yet years later, your still here....
  • jbtiborjbtibor Member Posts: 14
    edited 14 May 2017, 4:09PM
    I don't know if it was this update or another but here are my issues.
    1. Can't find where to set 24h clock?
    2. No list view for recordings. The view with images is cluttered.
    3. After watching a recording both stop and back buttons open recordings page instead the page for the show I was watching so I have to open show details again and scroll through all recorded episodes.
    4. Recordings whithin a show are sorted oldest to newest so I have to scroll a lot to find latest. Should be sorted newest to oldest.
    edited 14 May 2017, 9:03AM
    jimb said:

Somebody had to help the CurrentGen Johnny-come-latelies :-)
    edited 14 May 2017, 9:14AM
    jbtibor said:

3. After watching a recording both stop and back buttons open recordings page instead the page for the show I was watching so I have to open show details again and scroll through all recorded episodes.
    4. Recordings whithin a show are sorted oldest to newest so I have to scroll a lot to find latest. Should be sorted newest to oldest.

1. I don't recall that you ever could set the clock. The box looks on the internet.
    2. Yes, NextGen.
    3. Yes, NextGen.
    4. All series on every content-providing service I know are presented in ascending chronological order, as they should be.
    Before the recent 27.50.0 update, NextGen would land on the newest episode when you opened a series, something that was almost universally reviled.
    Now it lands on the oldest, which is better but still not ideal, and the minority of people who weren't in that 'almost' are complaining. Including you, I guess.
    Better schemes have been proposed - e.g that left arrow from the oldest episode should wrap around to the newest - but whether YouView will take them on board we will have to wait and see. Their track record in implementing NIH suggestions is not good, though.
  • jbtiborjbtibor Member Posts: 14
    edited 14 May 2017, 10:55AM
    jbtibor said:

1. Time is correct, I want to set to 24h format, now is fixed on 12h (am/pm) format.
    4. I don't care about other content-providing services I don't use. I don't see how it makes sense that I have 10 recordings out of what I already watched 8 and when I open the list I have the ones I already watched first and I have to scroll right to get to the ones I didn't yet watch. Then I have to repeat this for the second unwatched episode too, and again every week. Wrapping lists would be a workaround, but not a solution. Just think about your email, texts on your phone, Facebook/etc feed, they all have newest at top or beginning because that's what people are interested in, not a two months old recording. You would go crazy if you would have to scroll through 10 year's worth of emails to get to the latest.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 May 2017, 11:04AM
    jbtibor said:

Hi jbtibor - arguably forcing all people to have either the oldest or newest recording as the default is never going to please everyone. Whether it is email or recordings I would argue the best default is to place you on the oldest unwatched/unread entry. Coding for that should not be beyond YouView's capability but so far all they have done is switch the default to suit the majority of people (where for recordings more people delete after watching that keep).

This issue has been highlighted to YouView since day one of the next gen release in both my next gen first impressions post and the idea topic that it needs improving :)
    edited 14 May 2017, 11:22AM
    jbtibor said:

Roy have a look at BBC Iplayer .
    If you do search for The Fades you are presented with Ep6 then ep5 etc
    If you search for EastEnders you are offered the episodes in order of most recent.
    if however you select Categories and Drama &Soaps you are offered the Fades as a highlighted Large tile full series ordered ep 1 upwards. .. i.e. From the beginning.
    if however you select Categories and Drama&Soaps and A-z view all then under F The Fades you are presented with the full series in order ep 6 Downwards.

Strange I don't seem to have heard many complaints about the Iplayer