What a deadful EPG screen!

John LJohn L Posts: 257Member
edited 2 June 2017, 1:06PM in Feedback

I have been reading the comments other the past few weeks. Lots of bugs & problems mentioned regarding next gen. The main EPG screen that everyone uses daily is dreadful. Some might disagree, but this is my own view (yes "view" is the point (!) The EPG view is terrible!) My points when I first saw the EPG screen & I STILL feel the same, is that it is very dark (and yes my TV is setup correct with brightness/contrast etc). The older screen not only had the picture in the corner, but the whole interface was CLEARER & also not so straining on your eyes. I have recently been to the opticians & even with slightly clearer prescription, it is still awful! Who on earth decided on the "colour palette"? There is now no depth & detail to the EPG screen. It was much, much crisper to see & read. Very very dark & not really any thought gone into it. It is like being in a dark room & you are struggling to find the light switch. Can't wait for the Youview to resolve.

As mentioned before in another feed, I use other machines to record & gradually I am slowly clearing down my Youview box of recordings. Hopefully Youview you will have read complaints & resolve. You are going to lose more & more customers unless you actually listen to CONSUMERS that have SPENT their HARD earned money on equipment that you have "rearranged". It might look good, in some cases I can see that the new interface is the future, but please do think about the users out there. It is now nearly the end of May 2017. I've had my update 27.50.0 since April & shortly will have the current one when this arrives, which I read is not much different. WHEN is the MAJOR fix coming along to resolve problems? I watch this space . . . .  Sarah please can you kindly take onboard my comments & chase your Youview team. Thank you. John

Comments

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,127Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 May 2017, 8:16AM
    Hi John.
    Which ISP are you with?
    There's a big difference between the appearance of EPGs from TalkTalk and BT.
    I'm guessing yours is TalkTalk.
    (The BT one is very blue.)
  • John LJohn L Posts: 257Member
    edited 20 May 2017, 6:18PM
    it's the blue EPG screen using BT 2100 pvr. Very PLAIN & dark & certainly not an improvement. I should think a Black screen would be a lot worse!
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,509Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2017, 8:53AM
    You want to try Freetime from Freesat's or Freeview Plays EPG. Now and next and press and pause... Now they are truly awful.

John, you can access the accessibility functions to alter the EPG settings to suit your needs. Have you tried so?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2017, 12:37PM
    John L, if you understand that YouView's customers are not you and me, but are TalkTalk and BT, a great deal of what was previously puzzling suddenly falls into place.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    edited 21 May 2017, 8:11AM
    No.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 294Member ✭✭
    edited 21 May 2017, 2:59AM
    jimb said:

Hi John.
    Which ISP are you with?

Can anyone provide a link to what the TalkTalk EPG looks like?

I have a variety of YouView boxes and all but one of them are BT-provided, so I know what the BT skin looks like.

The other one is a TalkTak DN360T which has somehow still evaded NextGen, so I don't know what that might look like.
    edited 21 May 2017, 7:56AM
    jimb said:

Hi John.
    Which ISP are you with?

The skin is dependent on who your ISP is, and not the provenance of your box, nor even if you are a subscriber to BT TV (say) or not.

You will find that even your non-BT box has the BT skin, if BT is your ISP..

And if you look closely at that DN360T, you will see the BT branding; rather less in-yer-face than in NextGen, but present, nonetheless.

So to see the TalkTalk NextGen skin, you will need to have some kind soul post ir here, or link to some web resource that shows it.
    edited 21 May 2017, 8:53AM
    Visionman said:

You want to try Freetime from Freesat's or Freeview Plays EPG. Now and next and press and pause... Now they are truly awful.

John, you can access the accessibility functions to alter the EPG settings to suit your needs. Have you tried so?

yes I indeed I have tried this & in my view worse.
    edited 21 May 2017, 8:55AM
    Roy1 said:

John L, if you understand that YouView's customers are not you and me, but are TalkTalk and BT, a great deal of what was previously puzzling suddenly falls into place.

Yes Roy, it is mainly aimed for mass market. Youview at the moment really are not interested in loyal consumers out there.
    edited 23 May 2017, 10:13PM
    Roy1 said:

More exactly, I meant that the companies BT and TT are the customers. If they are happy, YouView is happy.

It will take a concerted feedback effort by BT and TT subscribers telling their ISP they are not happy, and potentially or actually affecting their subscriber revenues, before BT and/or TT become unhappy.

Only then will YouView be unhappy, with the possibility of them diverting from their current course of magnanimously and slowly dragging YouView functionality back to some where near where it was with CurrentGen, let alone bringing back the Lists presentation, the miniTV, or even putting a MyTV only as far away as it was in CurrentGen, let alone any nearer :-(

Personally, I take where they have now put MyTV as a concrete indication of how little mind YouView pay us loyal,customers; and I felt it as a resounding slap in the face :-(
    edited 21 May 2017, 12:37PM
    Roy1 said:

Quite true Roy.
  • StompaStompa Posts: 38Member
    edited 21 May 2017, 6:12PM
    The EPG has always struck me as being pretty poor, even with 'Old Gen'. Unfortunately with 'Next Gen' they've somehow managed to make it even worse.
    edited 21 May 2017, 5:36PM
    Stompa said:

The EPG has always struck me as being pretty poor, even with 'Old Gen'. Unfortunately with 'Next Gen' they've somehow managed to make it even worse.

Have you tried any others?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,936Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2017, 5:43PM
    I always thought the EPG was fine tbh and unless I am suffering from medium-term memory loss I cannot see any difference in fundamental appearance between old and new, apart from the fact that I now have TalkTalk branding in the corner, rather than YouView. Is it just a BT thing? Or maybe the transparency feature, which can of course be turned off?
    edited 21 May 2017, 5:44PM
    Stompa said:

The original was not perfect, I agree with you Stompa, but at least it was going in the right direction, at least it was a sensible EPG setup. It was clear, worked, userfriendly, everyone seemed to like it + it had the tiny preview window. All Youview had to do was to update the EPG screen slightly, minor tweaks & keep the main features + also keep the CLEAR grid, colour scheme. The timeline is now not very clear. In a summary . . .It's now a mess, correction . . . a mass of muddled colours that don't really stand out. Certainly not improved. I await Youview's next adventure in the "design workshops" . . . John
    edited 2 June 2017, 1:06PM
    YouView's EPG is the best out there. You want to make a complaint? Try Freetime from Freesat or Freeview Play. Now they are bad.
    edited 21 May 2017, 5:48PM
    Stompa said:

I don't agree with any word of that.
    edited 21 May 2017, 5:50PM
    Stompa said:

There are worst EPG guides. Some of the older Vestal machines were very buggy, but having used Youview for a few years, it has been great. The main problem with the EPG now is that the designers have overlooked that the new HD tvs now have backlight settings, that "shine" behind the EPG screen, that is what made the old EPG good. I remember using Youview (original software) some time back on an old CRT tv & it was very washed out & not as clear. It's the backlighting that comes through that improves the crisp clear look to the EPG, that Youview used to look like. Perhaps the nextgen design was originally tested & checked without taking into consideration most new tv setups? Just a thought.
    edited 21 May 2017, 5:53PM
    Stompa said:

Visionman try testing EPG without backlight settings on the old Youview software. I actually have an old 2nd hand Youview machine not updated & know this shows this. If I can do a screen shot at some point I will prove my point.
    edited 21 May 2017, 5:54PM
    Stompa said:

So you are not talking about any changes in the YouView EPG as such, but switching from a CRT to an LED screen?
    edited 21 May 2017, 5:56PM
    Stompa said:

Or using an LED screen without backlighting, how does that work exactly?  #confused
    edited 21 May 2017, 6:12PM
    Stompa said:

No... A poor complaint and an individual one too. Personal taste only. 
    edited 21 May 2017, 6:43PM
    Guys I'm not out to win an argument. This is only something I remember & think may be part of problem with colour scheme for new EPG. Life is too short to argue. I have just done a few photos & can't really replicate the old CRT tv, but I know that the EPG is not as bright. I have only just tested on 2 tvs that are both LED. But I do remember using an older CRT tv about just over a year ago before we purchased a newer tv & it was darker & the backlight can have an effect to make Youview look better on the original EPG. I'm not disputing that the old & nextgen EPG is ok on the newer led tvs. I'm not going to argue, but until Youview resolve we have all got to live with until sorted.imageimageimage
    edited 21 May 2017, 6:46PM
    Visionman said:

YouView's EPG is the best out there. You want to make a complaint? Try Freetime from Freesat or Freeview Play. Now they are bad.

Visionman, you have your own points of view. All I can say is don't use Freetime. It's not perfect, I agree, but in my own use it's worked out more userfriendly (that's my view). The old Humax Freesat indeed was very slow, Freetime is faster, with a faster processor. John
    edited 21 May 2017, 6:55PM
    I seriously don't have a problem with that.
    edited 21 May 2017, 7:05PM
    Well I don't....
    edited 2 June 2017, 1:06PM
    John L - you have you opinion, I have mine. That does not constitute an argument.
    And all opinions are welcome.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,127Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2017, 8:00PM
    I'd just like to suggest looking at EPGs in a very general way - not just PVRs.
    I've just had a browse through a google search of EPG images..
    http://tinyurl.com/k369k4y

What strikes me is how many have a "mini TV" and how many have a programme synopsis. 
    But most significantly is how many display significantly more channels than YouView.
    YouView only has six!
    edited 21 May 2017, 9:09PM
    NextGen is poor. Of that there is no doubt. But if you can show me a better box I'll show you my @rse.
    But I'll give you this - by switching to NexrGen the user journey and experience has been severely downgraded to the extent that its now more awkward and not easy (easier) to use.  Pants, even.
    Not good...
    edited 21 May 2017, 9:13PM
    I disagree. I regard it as an improvement overall. The temporarily missing features are an irritant for sure, but no more than that. Obviously I can only speak for myself and the way I use it. And my sight. And my fingers.