Seriously though..

Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Feedback
Any idea what the next software update will add/improve..? They do not seem to keep us in the picture much. Unless I'm missing something.. ?Cheers.

Comments

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2017, 11:53AM

I think things are a bit of a mess at the minute...

27.50 seems to have caused some issues with the IP channels for BT and 28.23 has so far been pretty much ignored by all but Retail. Lets hope the next release is approved for all YouView customers and brings some additional features back but I am concerned they have realised they have broken quite a few things while trying to bring back other features :-(

I suppose only time will tell...

• StephenStephen Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 August 2017, 4:57PM
    Hi Nick
    It's probably useful for me to aggregate them here, but in various places the following have been promised:
    Better journeys from recordings in/to MyTV
    The Discover area
    Action buttons in the programme info panel
    Channel hiding from the Guide

Whether all of these are delivered in the next update, or whether they are rolled out as several consecutive ones has yet to be confirmed.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    Hi Nick - you are unlikely to get any official answer as to when an update will arrive or what will be in it until the point it releases. That said things YouView have indicated in various threads they are working on have included:
    • proper back journey out of a recording
    • return of an interface to hide and manage hidden channels
    • action panels (this would apparently be a list of actions in the half-screen panel that comes up when you press (i), which is currently only an Info Panel)
    • discover
    Given the progress to date, and the fact YouView say they can manage more frequent releases with next gen, one might speculate these (and hopefully other things such as being able to jump to a given minute in a recording) will not all come along in one release and thus we might see these making an appearance over the next 2-6 months (and hopefully not longer than that).

If it does take another 6 months to restore such features then we will be reaching the 1 year launch anniversary. Whether anything new will also have come along in this time is less clear and it is anyone's guess what YouView may wish to develop once they have the foundations solid and complete again :)
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 February 2018, 11:21AM
    Ah I see Stephen has posted whilst I was writing the above. It is encouraging my interpretation of what has been seen across the forum matches up to his more official view
    edited 2 February 2018, 11:21AM
    Great minds etc etc
  • Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks for all replies guys , so basically we are still in the dark.. I've got the BT branded T4000 with 27.50. What is the difference with 28.23 on retail Humax.. Cheers again..
  • SarahSarah Member Posts: 1,812 admin
    edited 24 May 2017, 5:20PM
    Nick7 said:

Thanks for all replies guys , so basically we are still in the dark.. I've got the BT branded T4000 with 27.50. What is the difference with 28.23 on retail Humax.. Cheers again..

Hi Nick,

28.23.0 was implemented as an update to fix some minor bugs on the T1000 and T2000 retail box models. Other then the bug fixes, there were no new features added or changes made. You can find the info regarding the update here

Sarah
    edited 24 May 2017, 5:27PM
    Nick7 said:

Thanks Sarah. Do you know what's in the pipeline for the next update? Thanks..Any of the features we've been spoiled with from the old software?
  • SarahSarah Member Posts: 1,812 admin
    edited 24 May 2017, 5:31PM
    Nick7 said:

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately not at the moment. The features Stephen mentioned above are in the pipeline for future updates however we can't give any specific timeframes or more detailed information about these or any other features we may add later on. 
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited 24 May 2017, 10:20PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Nick - you are unlikely to get any official answer as to when an update will arrive or what will be in it until the point it releases. That said things YouView have indicated in various threads they are working on have included:

• action panels (this would apparently be a list of actions in the half-screen panel that comes up when you press (i), which is currently only an Info Panel)
    • discover
    Given the progress to date, and the fact YouView say they can manage more frequent releases with next gen, one might speculate these (and hopefully other things such as being able to jump to a given minute in a recording) will not all come along in one release and thus we might see these making an appearance over the next 2-6 months (and hopefully not longer than that).

If it does take another 6 months to restore such features then we will be reaching the 1 year launch anniversary. Whether anything new will also have come along in this time is less clear and it is anyone's guess what YouView may wish to develop once they have the foundations solid and complete again :)
    Wow, 1 year since launch ... My previous PVR died at the grand old age of 4 years. If some of that box's functionality had been crippled/removed for 25% of its life I'd have been absolutely furious.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 May 2017, 10:56PM
    Keith>
    "If it does take another 6 months to restore such features then we will be reaching the 1 year launch anniversary. Whether anything new will also have come along in this time is less clear."

It is my belief the further development of YouView (and the reintroduction of lost features) is not and will not be a barrier to introducing anything new.
    I also expect such reintroduction's to come quickly compared to Old Gen (updates which used to be months and months apart). I also think your 6 month timeframe (for completeness) is about right. Though of course only YouView know if such is true, so in this I state my personal opinion only.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 May 2017, 10:32AM
    Keith1 said:

• discover

@Stephen - Some big promises :-) PLEASE PLEASE tell me YouView are looking into the missing jump to a point in time on a recording as a priority. This is by far my biggest miss at the minute and I know a lot of others have said the same and yet through all the promises I haven't seen that one mentioned.

I know everyone has their own priorities but if you regularly record say the Moto GP qualifying but only want to watch the GP you have to FF through about 2 1/2 hours first. Jump to a specific time was perfect, FF/SKIP is a nightmare.

edited 6 June 2017, 6:10PM
    Keith1 said:

• discover

@scott I'm afraid it would be above my station to comment about potentially-upcoming features if they have not yet been officially announced, even to say whether they're planned for the near or far term, or indeed to say whether anyone is actively working on them RIGHT NOW.
    Hope this helps
    edited 25 May 2017, 12:17PM
    Keith1 said:

• discover

Don't forget about how it used to suggest an alternate programme if you had a clash.. Please bring this back..
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 May 2017, 4:45PM
    Keith1 said:

• discover

Stephen

Capital! :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 7 June 2017, 8:54AM
    Stephen10 said:

Hi Nick
    It's probably useful for me to aggregate them here, but in various places the following have been promised:
    The Discover area

Whether all of these are delivered in the next update, or whether they are rolled out as several consecutive ones has yet to be confirmed.

One-fifth of the first one down, 3.8 to go!
    edited 6 June 2017, 8:28PM
    Stephen10 said:

Hi Nick
    The Discover area

Let's think - 5% of a list that does not include Skip to minute in a recording, let alone Lists, and it has taken what? 2 weeks? A month?

Say two weeks, being charitable? That means the rest of the list is 40 weeks' work.

Ummm.......
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 June 2017, 8:33PM
    Stephen10 said:

Hi Nick
    The Discover area

That makes two of us who are not throwing our hats in the air.
    edited 6 June 2017, 8:39PM
    Stephen10 said:

Hi Nick
    The Discover area

If you did, I think it would come down in Stockholm.....
    edited 6 June 2017, 11:05PM
    Stephen10 said:

Hi Nick
    The Discover area

No update for me. Still on 27.50
    edited 7 June 2017, 12:21AM
    Roy>
    "Let's think - 5% of a list that does not include Skip to minute in a recording, let alone Lists, and it has taken what? 2 weeks? A month? 
    Say two weeks, being charitable? That means the rest of the list is 40 weeks' work.
    Ummm......."

I'm sorry, but a series of updates which previously took years? Um.
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 300 ✭✭
    edited 7 June 2017, 3:49AM
    Stephen10 said:

Hi Nick
    The Discover area

Stephen said:
    One-fifth of the first one down, 3.8 to go!
    Stephen, perhaps I'm being a bit slow, but in what way is the latest update (which restores the sensible back-journey to the current episode rather than to the main MyTV page when in a series) only "one-fifth" of "Better journeys from recordings in/to MyTV"?
    edited 7 June 2017, 8:33AM
    Stephen10 said:

Hi Nick
    The Discover area

Yes sorry, to scupper Roy's pessimistic calculations, the last three points are distinct pieces of work but I can think of five (smaller) items of work that can conceivably come under the first "Better journeys from recordings in/to MyTV" heading that are either being worked on or planned.
    So perhaps "one down, seven to go" is slightly more accurate.
    But again, that's not to say that each piece of work requires an update of its own, depending on QA and trials, it's likely some will become available together; we definitely do development in parallel.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 July 2017, 1:36AM
    Well we are now into the second half of the year . So it would be useful to have some indication of the progress that Youview is making on the elements. Identified as being in progress in this thread. Any update folks.
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Thats a not a very good request from a Community Leader. You know the way it works. You've been on here long enough.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2017, 11:50AM
    Visionman said:

Thats a not a very good request from a Community Leader. You know the way it works. You've been on here long enough.

He's probably sick if waiting for the features to return as I imagine others are. Personally I used action panel and hide channels on youview classic but to be honest I have got used to them been missing so when they do return it will probably take me a while before I remember there back.
    Well we are now into the second half of the year . So it would be useful to have some indication of the progress that Youview is making on the elements identified as being in progress in this thread. Any update folks.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2017, 11:49PM
    zulu17 said:

Well we are now into the second half of the year . So it would be useful to have some indication of the progress that Youview is making on the elements identified as being in progress in this thread. Any update folks.

You posted the same above. Unfortunately the only information publicly available is that hide channels, discover and action panel will return and some point. You have been here long enough to know updates are not usually announced until they are ready to roll out and the first equipment starts to get it.
    edited 3 July 2017, 9:17AM
    zulu17>
    "Well we are now into the second half of the year ."
    The old platform took years, not months. 
    Listen zulu, purely because of the feedback on this forum, they have been slightly diverted from their planned release path as their new priority is now improving the user journey both in and out of My TV. It needed improving and the last 2 updates were made (from scratch) purely because of that.
    That to me says quick response.

This new platforms capable of far more than the old. I'm talking TV on the go, multiroom, bounce content from one box to another and to and from one device to another, Don't get me wrong, I'm totally talking years here, but it will happen. And for retail users too. I honestly believe YouView is the future of 21st century Freeview (DTT) Television.