Breaking news: BBC store to close

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    redchiz said:

The only provider I am aware of who dispatches physical media alongside a digital purchase is Sky, they advertise that quite heavily. Now, the benefits of that are hard to evaluate. If you want a DVD it would be cheaper to just buy it. If you want digital access you would generally opt for HD above SD, wouldn't you? And if you want HD why would you want a DVD?

@DavidB The dishes will be here awhile yet, the key point from your comment was "decent broadband." While BT continue to sweat their copper assets and have had to invent a new 55/10 FTTC product to accommodate their fledgling 4K efforts the demise of broadcast, whether terrestrial or satellite, is some way off yet.
  • DavidBDavidB Member Posts: 69
    edited July 2017
    redchiz said:

The only provider I am aware of who dispatches physical media alongside a digital purchase is Sky, they advertise that quite heavily. Now, the benefits of that are hard to evaluate. If you want a DVD it would be cheaper to just buy it. If you want digital access you would generally opt for HD above SD, wouldn't you? And if you want HD why would you want a DVD?

redchiz, I did say this with a slight "tongue in cheek", but if the likes of Netflix, Amazon & Nowtv, see the future is in "on demand" and that content will be king,

Netflix & Amazon both showing quite a determination to produce thier own home grown content.
    Mr M showing some of his own content on nowtv, cheaper than the dish alternative and no contract ties.

Given a choice between the flexibility of on demand and a fixed dish, I know which way I would go, and it would not involve having a black wok attached to the outside of my house.

edited July 2017
    redchiz said:

I have no issue with your view that Content is King, I doubt anyone here would argue with that.

On demand is great and I tend to use it more than other means of viewing these days. Save for live sport of course, then it's a bit pointless.

Subject to that I already enjoy the flexibility of which you speak having flitted happily between Sky, NOW TV and TalkTalk for content, if that is King then promotional pricing is definitely Queen.  ;)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    DavidB>
    "How long before the dishes disappear from the sides of houses?"
    And aerials. About 20 years.
    95% of the UK is now fibred up but its infrastructure is nowhere near ready for full broadcast capacity. And nor are its users.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Wanting to catch up on Line of Duty, which we completely missed first time round, including not recording it on our YouView box when we could have, we found ourselves doing the on-demand 'cheapest option' dance:-

Series 1 - available on our existing Netflix subscription
    Series 2 - ditto
    Series 3 - available to buy on Amazon Video for £5.99 HD. So we now 'own' this series, for whatever definition of 'own' applies to content being held on our behalf by someone else (see above!)
    Series 4 - bought for £5.82 delivered, a new DVD from an Amazon supplier

Amazon's website wants £7.99, £13.49, £5.99 and £13.99 respectively for each series, though our Firestick generously directs us to Netflix for Series 1 and 2, rather than trying to charge us that.

We'd be quite happy to have rented Series 3 for £5.99, so we aren't worried about the 'ownership' issues if it later evaporates, as clouds are wont to do :-)

The novelty in all this, if what was once the norm can now be a novelty, is that while the first three series were instantly available, on pretty much any device we chose to watch them on, upstairs and down, and we could pick up on one device where we had left off on another, we have to wait for the DVD to arrive, carry it from room to room if we want to watch it elsewhere, and not expect it to pick up where we left off if we do. And of course, it's not HD.

But we will own, really tangibly own, it. Of course, we will have to find somewhere to store it, and in reality, we will probably never watch it again. But we can give or lend it to someone else if we want, which we can't do with our 'owned' Series 3, as far as I know....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Michael GMichael G Member Posts: 876
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Wanting to catch up on Line of Duty, which we completely missed first time round, including not recording it on our YouView box when we could have, we found ourselves doing the on-demand 'cheapest option' dance:-

Series 2 - ditto
    Series 3 - available to buy on Amazon Video for £5.99 HD. So we now 'own' this series, for whatever definition of 'own' applies to content being held on our behalf by someone else (see above!)

Amazon's website wants £7.99, £13.49, £5.99 and £13.99 respectively for each series, though our Firestick generously directs us to Netflix for Series 1 and 2, rather than trying to charge us that.

We'd be quite happy to have rented Series 3 for £5.99, so we aren't worried about the 'ownership' issues if it later evaporates, as clouds are wont to do :-)

The novelty in all this, if what was once the norm can now be a novelty, is that while the first three series were instantly available, on pretty much any device we chose to watch them on, upstairs and down, and we could pick up on one device where we had left off on another, we have to wait for the DVD to arrive, carry it from room to room if we want to watch it elsewhere, and not expect it to pick up where we left off if we do. And of course, it's not HD.

But we will own, really tangibly own, it. Of course, we will have to find somewhere to store it, and in reality, we will probably never watch it again. But we can give or lend it to someone else if we want, which we can't do with our 'owned' Series 3, as far as I know....

Excellent show.

Weird how they sell the rights. S1-4 are on Google Play, to "buy" (stream) from £4.99 a pop...

https://play.google.com/store/tv/show/Line_of_Duty?id=EKYjCY7t5xQ 
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Per Series? I can't follow your link from here, alas..... :-(

La TV en Google Play aún no está disponible en tu país.
    Estamos trabajando para ampliar la disponibilidad del contenido que más te interesa en otros países lo antes posible.
    Inténtalo de nuevo en unos días.

(The TV on Google Play is not yet available in your country.
    We are working to expand the availability of content that interests you in other countries as soon as possible.
    Try again in a few days.)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Ah, sorry Roy, I forgot you're en España.

GP Movies are available there, but strangely, not the TV shows genre, presumably due to some licensing issue. I thought all content in the EU was supposed to be available throughout the EU?

Anyhoo, don't know if you can see this, but the country availability is here:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2843119?hl=en-GB

But yes, I quoted prices per series, although looking further, their headline price is for SD, and HD is usually a few quid more. 

From the UK pages:

Series 1 £08.49 SD, £09.49 HD
    Series 2 £10.49 SD, £13.49 HD!!
    Series 3 £04.49 SD, £05.99 HD!!
    Series 4 £10.99 SD, £13.99 HD

My point really was that they'd got all 4, whereas others haven't, requiring sourcing from various suppliers and mixing physical and digital formats.

We had to do the same with GofT.

By the time I'd realised Daenerys in her bath was the 8th Wonder of The World, the earlier ones had dropped off Now TV. So to get 1-6 required some searching.

On balance, I thought it (she) was worth it ;-)
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Well currently on ITunes here in the Uk line of duty complete series 1-3 Hd is showing as £9.99 .
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

That's an excellent price
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

It is amazing the ways and means in which a single BBC series is available, to say nothing of pricing, fascinating little sub-thread this.

edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Even though I have access to Google Play, I've never used it. But from the link Michael provided, their pricing structure appears to be crazy.
    Complete series purchases of Line of Duty -
    Series 1  £8.49
    Series 2  £10.49
    Series 3  £4.99
    Series 4  £10.99
    Or £1.99 per episode
    I've just had a mooch and one can buy the physical from £13.99. And thats for the lot (series 1 to 4).
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Isn't it? Those GP prices are the same as Amazon HD, except Series 1 is a bit more. But Amazon does not offer SD.

That's a good iTunes price, though I am still ahead through having Netflix...

I'm sure there's a website somewhere to tell you all this...

http://www.canistream.it
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Visionman, do tell us where you mooched.

I can't see the whole thing below £25.00 :-(
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

eBay. No point in buying new, as its old. :)
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Useful resource that, although I'm getting errors searching the TV section for Line of Duty.

Visionman, where can you get the physical (DVD format?) LofD 1-4 for £13.99?

I'd agree GP prices, in this instance, are odd - my point really was that for buy to stream, they'd got all 4 series.

I've used GP since getting my first CC 4 years ago. 1080p, PCM 5.1 (now shows DD 5.1) and I do the surveys for credits, so I mainly use it for free rentals every so often. Our new TV has it anyway.

If the iTunes price is for buy, that's an excellent price. Not having any Apple kit, I never use it, but might if it worked in a browser and I could get it on tthe telly without buying more boxes/dongles.
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

X'd over. eBay, used. 
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Best I'm getting is £16.75 - still better than £25.00 though
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Anyway, forget about the prices for now. Outstanding TV, top class, I am quite envious that you are just discovering it Roy. Enjoy. :)
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Yes, totally agree. Gripping drama. 
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Which makes the failure of BBC Worldwide a sad day as the Yanks move in.
    And on TV (CH5) and Cable (Liberty Global) and the Australian Americanised Murdoch (FOX) on SKY.
    Thank god for platforms like YouView. Which is a Freemium model. Which means choice, not monopolisation. Hmm. My, I am on one...
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

This isn't to bad for comparing
    https://www.justwatch.com/uk
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

@VM You're not suggesting that the demise of the BBC Store is akin to BBC Worldwide going under are you? Or have I missed something?
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

The BBC Store is under the remit of BBC Worldwide. Thats all I meant.
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Yeah I know, but I thought you were suggesting there that BBC Worldwide was shutting down, far from a "failure" it's a massive success selling content globally. Which helps to keep the wolf from the door as government funding gets slashed. Of course the capitalists think otherwise, shouldn't be allowed. ;)
    edited July 2017
    Anyway, back to shopping @ MichaelG, good fun this! Best I can find is £16.75 same as Roy, with a link. VM?
    edited July 2017
    redchiz said:

Anyway, back to shopping @ MichaelG, good fun this! Best I can find is £16.75 same as Roy, with a link. VM?

I think VM was looking at used, on eBay.
    edited July 2017
    redchiz said:

Indeed. 
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Cheers for justwatch, Daniel. The site I found is a busted flush, but this one seems to be the business.
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Justwatch seems good, although I noticed they'd missed off availability of Kong: Skull Island (2017) on GP Movies. Gotta be a big job keeping track of content across all the UK suppliers. Easy reporting mechanism though. I've installed the app. Thanks Daniel.

When you see the content legally available from a wide choice of suppliers and consider the ready availability of kit to deliver it, you have to wonder why anyone messes around with the infamous "fully loaded" boxes.

Well, aside from the obvious...