Breaking news: BBC store to close

1235»

Comments

• David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Wanting to catch up on Line of Duty, which we completely missed first time round, including not recording it on our YouView box when we could have, we found ourselves doing the on-demand 'cheapest option' dance:-

Series 1 - available on our existing Netflix subscription
    Series 2 - ditto
    Series 3 - available to buy on Amazon Video for £5.99 HD. So we now 'own' this series, for whatever definition of 'own' applies to content being held on our behalf by someone else (see above!)
    Series 4 - bought for £5.82 delivered, a new DVD from an Amazon supplier

Amazon's website wants £7.99, £13.49, £5.99 and £13.99 respectively for each series, though our Firestick generously directs us to Netflix for Series 1 and 2, rather than trying to charge us that.

We'd be quite happy to have rented Series 3 for £5.99, so we aren't worried about the 'ownership' issues if it later evaporates, as clouds are wont to do :-)

The novelty in all this, if what was once the norm can now be a novelty, is that while the first three series were instantly available, on pretty much any device we chose to watch them on, upstairs and down, and we could pick up on one device where we had left off on another, we have to wait for the DVD to arrive, carry it from room to room if we want to watch it elsewhere, and not expect it to pick up where we left off if we do. And of course, it's not HD.

But we will own, really tangibly own, it. Of course, we will have to find somewhere to store it, and in reality, we will probably never watch it again. But we can give or lend it to someone else if we want, which we can't do with our 'owned' Series 3, as far as I know....

Your welcome Guys and it was David not Daniel lol
  • Michael GMichael G Member Posts: 876
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Wanting to catch up on Line of Duty, which we completely missed first time round, including not recording it on our YouView box when we could have, we found ourselves doing the on-demand 'cheapest option' dance:-

Series 2 - ditto
    Series 3 - available to buy on Amazon Video for £5.99 HD. So we now 'own' this series, for whatever definition of 'own' applies to content being held on our behalf by someone else (see above!)

Amazon's website wants £7.99, £13.49, £5.99 and £13.99 respectively for each series, though our Firestick generously directs us to Netflix for Series 1 and 2, rather than trying to charge us that.

We'd be quite happy to have rented Series 3 for £5.99, so we aren't worried about the 'ownership' issues if it later evaporates, as clouds are wont to do :-)

The novelty in all this, if what was once the norm can now be a novelty, is that while the first three series were instantly available, on pretty much any device we chose to watch them on, upstairs and down, and we could pick up on one device where we had left off on another, we have to wait for the DVD to arrive, carry it from room to room if we want to watch it elsewhere, and not expect it to pick up where we left off if we do. And of course, it's not HD.

But we will own, really tangibly own, it. Of course, we will have to find somewhere to store it, and in reality, we will probably never watch it again. But we can give or lend it to someone else if we want, which we can't do with our 'owned' Series 3, as far as I know....

Sorry David :-)

I blame Roy. And too much vino collapso last night.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

LOL vino collapso, haven't heard that for a while!  :)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Sorry David - it was the Daniel-like typo that misled me.

I must be going off my Rioja :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Ha. I see what you did there ;-)
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Impressed with Justwatch:

Hi!

Thank you for reporting to us about the following movie: https://justwatch.com/uk/movie/kong-s...
    We’ve now added Google Play offers for this movie. We are sorry for providing wrong info & will continue to develop our content ́s accuracy!

Have a nice day!

Karina / JustWatch
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

@roy Daniel like typo???

And as much as I like credit as much as the next person unfortunately I don't like credit I haven't earned lol. Glad you clicked on it was David typing in the end.
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

'to' for 'too' :-)

Good link though, isn't it?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

Definitely a good link. In regards to typos I personally have no issue with people pointing them out to me.

Sometimes it's done by accident other times I can get pain because of the Ms and it throws off my concentration. But if they are pointed out to me and the person is polite enough about it such as yourself I'm happy to try and correct it or if someone has already typed a post I will try to remember for future reference.
    edited July 2017
    Roy1 said:

Series 2 - ditto

We are encouraged not to pick people up on typos - we all make them - so wear them like a badge of honour.

We just need to beware of imitations, that's all :-)