[Discussion] Humax software update 28.26.0

1235»

Comments

• wislonpwislonp Member Posts: 18
    edited 9 July 2017, 12:18PM
    wislonp said:

So yet another problem that I have spotted three times now. Leave the box on overnight so I can rewind the programme if I get up late. So I am watching BBC1 Breakfast. Decide to rewind to watch the sport. Press back 15 sec and it goes back once but pressing again does not work. Try fast rewind. Nothing happens except the sound cuts out. Cannot do fast rewind, cannot get the step back to work so watching 15. Sec behind with no sound. Cannot change channels. Cannot switch off on the remote. Cannot switch off on the front of the box. Have to switch off at true back. Now 'lost' my 2 hour back up so cannot rewind to the sports.
    Does anyone from Youview monitor this blog. Is anyone else getting this issue that only started after update.

OK, it is definitely when there is the full two hour buffer. So the new variation I noticed is the fast rewind now only allows me to rewind at x2 speed. One of the key USPs of YouView is the ability to rewind if I miss something. That feature is now useless. Come on YouView, please at least advise when the next release is scheduled. If I have to wait too long then, I. Ever thought I would say this, I will move to Sky.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,539 admin
    edited 10 July 2017, 9:32AM

My box keeps crashing since the update. I can't switch it on from the remote or the button on the front. I have to use the switch on the back and then wait for it to initialize. Not happy!

Hi,

Can you let me know what maintenance resets you've tried so far?

Thanks,

Sarah
  • Paul Wilson1Paul Wilson1 Member Posts: 2
    edited 10 July 2017, 9:35AM

My box keeps crashing since the update. I can't switch it on from the remote or the button on the front. I have to use the switch on the back and then wait for it to initialize. Not happy!

Hi this is wislonp (see below)

I have done the standard reset, power off at the back, wait 30 seconds, power on the press and hold the power button down.

I have also done the restore device, keep recording from the maintenance mode.
  • Orange BucketOrange Bucket Member Posts: 24
    edited 11 July 2017, 12:26PM

Can't remember exactly what maintenance reset I tried. Probably the least aggressive sounding one.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July 2017, 10:21PM

That would be Option 1. Not much more than a soft reset. Try Option 4, the most aggressive one that still keeps your recordings.
    I have a low opinion of people who press the Disagree button instead of engaging in reasoned debate. 
    I have an even lower opinion of YouView’s continued policy of letting such people hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
    edited 12 July 2017, 11:28AM

Well as it happens when I read that I pressed the button on my T1010 and it had crashed so it has now had an option 4 reset. It remains to be seen if it helps but it has revealed issues with scheduled recordings I hadn't seen before.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 July 2017, 11:34AM

What issues are these?
    edited 13 August 2017, 4:46PM
    Apologies is this is a known issue or not specific to this update, but I've only just noticed it ...

Having performed an 'option 4' maintenance reset in at attempt to resolved issues with my T1010 becoming unresponsive, I found I needed to set up the scheduled recordings again. Fair enough.

I went in through the Guide and set up Series record for Ripper StreetCasualty and Holby City on BBC1 HD. They show up correctly as such when viewed in the Guide, and also under On Now & Later in the Search. However if I go into MyTV and look under Scheduled both Ripper Street and Casualty show up as being set up for Episode recording, whereas Holby City is shown correctly.

As as added curiosity, a few minutes later another schedule magically appeared for a Series record of Holby City on BBC1 (non-HD). I guess that could have been restored from the cloud as I understand that happens these days (it could have been a long term schedule dating from when we didn't entirely trust HD recordings and the TV screen wasn't big enough to make much difference).
    edited 12 July 2017, 12:05PM

I've added a new comment on the end of the discussion to describe what happened, but the executive summary is that I had to set up my scheduled recordings again (fair enough). I set up three series recordings and these can be seen set up correctly in the Guide and in the On Now & Later in the Search. However in Scheduled I see two episode recordings and a series recording. I've not seen that before, though to be honest I haven't really looked that hard before.
  • wislonpwislonp Member Posts: 18
    edited 12 July 2017, 12:07PM
    clpratt said:

This is a known problem and youview are aware. If you fill or nearly fill the 2 hour live tv buffer. If you pause, FForward or FRewind 1 or 2 times then buffer refuses to rewind. It even shows the wrong programme name at the bottom of the screen. 

Well at least it's not just me. I also get the wrong programme name.
  • Mark PerkinsMark Perkins Member Posts: 8
    edited 27 July 2017, 10:26AM
    I have to say my experience after years of using 2 x Humax boxes has now deteriorated into a farce. Buttons don't work, others fail to respond, changed batteries, remote, reloaded SW/reset etc. Whilst responsiveness is bad it now have a signal/quality strength issue. (May not be the box but....) where BBC1 STD is 100/83 % but HD is 68/0% but still works - now get frequent YMC302 error msgs. Perhaps the box is failing ? As for Players like iPlayer I fear the bloated upgrade has stolen vital memory resources as they continually buffer and stall. No its not my Internet connection as iPlayer from iPad through Apple TV works flawlessly .... I am losing faith in Youview as a platform.imageimage
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 July 2017, 12:17AM
    Keith1 said:

Hallelujah - it may only have one small improvement but it will make a huge difference!

Finally a back journey out of a recording that returns you to exactly the episode tile you went in on!!!!!

You obviously have major issues which others and I don't. You need to start your own thread.
    I disagree with the disagree as is, as its a joke.
    edited 27 July 2017, 9:41AM
    Keith1 said:

Hallelujah - it may only have one small improvement but it will make a huge difference!

Finally a back journey out of a recording that returns you to exactly the episode tile you went in on!!!!!

(NOTE: Visionman's comment above was not aimed at Pauline, but at another poster, Mark, whose Comment Sarah has now kindly converted into a Reply).

Pauline, if you are still reading this, and you still have the issue you reported a month ago, please start a new thread with this in.

It seems nobody saw your posting - it is almost always a mistake to post as a Comment as it gets lost in the noise, and it is always a mistake to post a Comment that has nothing to do with the Reply it has been attached to.

Saying this is not, as some have called it, netcopping; it is practical advice to ensure you don't get accidentally ignored, as the above shows can all too easily happen.

Unfortunately, GetSatisfaction, the forum software that YouView currently use, makes it all too easy and inviting to use a Comment, and fairly obscure to use a Reply, though NEW POST is fairly prominent at the top of the page.

GetSatisfaction, the company, have been made aware of the issue, but what if anything can or will be done about this is unclear.
    I have a low opinion of people who press the Disagree button instead of engaging in reasoned debate. 
    I have an even lower opinion of YouView’s continued policy of letting such people hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
    edited 27 July 2017, 9:22AM

I have to say my experience after years of using 2 x Humax boxes has now deteriorated into a farce. Buttons don't work, others fail to respond, changed batteries, remote, reloaded SW/reset etc. Whilst responsiveness is bad it now have a signal/quality strength issue. (May not be the box but....) where BBC1 STD is 100/83 % but HD is 68/0% but still works - now get frequent YMC302 error msgs. Perhaps the box is failing ? As for Players like iPlayer I fear the bloated upgrade has stolen vital memory resources as they continually buffer and stall. No its not my Internet connection as iPlayer from iPad through Apple TV works flawlessly .... I am losing faith in Youview as a platform.imageimage

Hi Mark,

I've converted your comment into a reply to make it a bit easier to keep track of the responses :) 

It sounds like there's a few issues going on with your YouView box. Can you please confirm the box models of both of the Humax boxes you own? Do the same issues happen with both boxes you have?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 27 July 2017, 9:41AM

Thanks Sarah.

I only use the latest box as the previous one died, can't recall if it half worked or not, I would have to find to out. That one I just put down to age. The current box (Humax DTR 2000) whilst not new isn't that old. I was trying to find the JL receipt but as yet I haven't found it. Probably filed away in the loft. Anyways most of our issues have been since the GUI upgrade. There could be more than one issue. I need to isolate the box to be sure there is nothing else in the chain regarding the signal strength issues. However the GUI is still IMHO very slow and seems to make half the buttons on the remote either redundant or very unresponsive at best. Batteries changed, remote from old unit (same model) also tried. Seems the priority given to the IR/remote  is very bad since this GUI change. For £199 I would likely buy another box but I am not convinced that wouldn't be the same even JL don't seem to have them connected up in their showrooms anymore. What was wrong with the old GUI /listings? Not everything works well in pictorial format ala iPhone :-)....  sometimes lists are more concise. just my opinion.
    edited 27 July 2017, 9:56AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the added information.

In regards to the issues you're having with your remote, it might be beneficial for you to do a remote reset as this may help solve the issue. 

YVM302 error messages usually pop up when there's an issue with your signal. When you are able to do so, it'd be great if you could go through this guide and go through all the steps to ensure all bases have been covered as there's quite a few reasons why this could be happening. 

The issue you mentioned before regarding iPlayer sounds like an issue we're aware of and looking into at the moment where iPlayer stutters or stops when playing a programme. As a temporary fix, users can change the definition to SD instead of HD and this usually stops the stuttering issue. I understand that this isn't ideal as we all want to watch programmes in the best quality possible but it means that you at least won't miss the show you want to watch.

Let me know if the above suggestions help with any of the issues at all :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 27 July 2017, 9:59AM

Thanks Sarah, I already tried the so called remote reset and changed batteries even changed the remote for old one to no avail. will try again and go through your signal advise guide and report back. Tks
    edited 27 July 2017, 10:03AM

Hi Mark

The reasons for the change to NextGen, and the half-assed way that YouView have gone about it, have been endlessly debated in the forum recently, so I won't revisit that.

What I am concerned about is that you seem to have a raft of problems that are over and above what NextGen is or does, and maybe we can do something about that.

A T2000 should effortlessly cope with everything NextGen can throw at it, and actually be faster than CurrentGen ever was, given a couple of provisos.

Firstly, what is your broadband speed?

https://www.youview.com/checker/

will tell you both what you should get, and go on to tell you what you do get.

Please (without revealing your postcode) tell us both results here, having carried out the second test, at home.

The next thing you should try is a Maintenance Mode Option 4, as linked to from the third Pinned posting above.

This is the most drastic reset you can do while still preserving your recordings, and can get rid of a number of transient problems.

Re signal strength, try plugging your aerial directly into your TV, and see how that performs. If the reception issues are also see on the TV, you will need to look to your aerial system for the cause.

Re the remote, do you by any chance have a plasma TV? As these are known to interfere.

But anyway, try resetting your remote, as here:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

Quite a list to try, but then you have quite a list of issues that are not necessarily to do with NextGen.

Do please come back and tell us how you got on.

The next two steps, if the above does not resolve it are Factory Reset, and replace box, but hopefully it won't come to that.
    edited 27 July 2017, 10:26AM

Thanks Roy - I will try all these methodically probably over the weekend as most evenings its in use (kindof). Broadband speed isn't great where we are and has recently improved from 4down 1 up to 11 down 1 up. Eitherway boxes  have worked fine until recently. I believe I have tried the maint modes before to no avail. Only one haven't tried (for obvious reasons) is the scrub everything which may be the only way or buy a new box and put the £199 down to preserving in watched programs. Tks again will report back. I also have a thread going with  YouView support.
  • Charlie EustaceCharlie Eustace Member Posts: 4
    edited 11 September 2017, 9:33AM
    Time to hang  you head in shame Youview  :  the  more I read the more gloomy i  become; its so obvious,it is a "turkey"  .Why not put it right ? Is there not  enough common sense , software skills ,time , broad band width  to go round or  something? Is your department  incapable of at least  acknowledging that it is a bit of a mess?
    It is  worse than school; pointless changes, to  inconvenience the beknighted inhabitants  ,  from  " Aunty youhoo!"  .A   ghastly variation on 'the  man in Whitehall knows best'.
    Really, to think of the people  i have  recommended  this  product to , the  joy of being able to record  radio programmes   in the same way as  videoing tv  .I recommended it  because  I thought it  was value  for money . Having  mastered the  controls , I see no need for change , a change which certainly detracts  from the  ease of  use of the product  and  is not  value for  money. Youview has  got it  wrong  ;so why not come out and admit it ?.)
    edited 27 July 2017, 10:59AM

Time to hang  you head in shame Youview  :  the  more I read the more gloomy i  become; its so obvious,it is a "turkey"  .Why not put it right ? Is there not  enough common sense , software skills ,time , broad band width  to go round or  something? Is your department  incapable of at least  acknowledging that it is a bit of a mess?
    It is  worse than school; pointless changes, to  inconvenience the beknighted inhabitants  ,  from  " Aunty youhoo!"  .A   ghastly variation on 'the  man in Whitehall knows best'.
    Really, to think of the people  i have  recommended  this  product to , the  joy of being able to record  radio programmes   in the same way as  videoing tv  .I recommended it  because  I thought it  was value  for money . Having  mastered the  controls , I see no need for change , a change which certainly detracts  from the  ease of  use of the product  and  is not  value for  money. Youview has  got it  wrong  ;so why not come out and admit it ?.)

At least offer a role back option. That way I at least could see if its the box, the new software etc... but no it was forced upon us..
    edited 27 July 2017, 11:48AM

Hi again Mark

I have noticed, and remarked upon, the fact of an update, rather that the contents of an update, deranging YouView boxes; usually temporarily, but sometimes terminally.

A roll-back would not necessarily reverse such derangement (which is what I think your box is suffering from, rather than anything in the update, given that we do not have widespread reports of similar issues to yours), and might even be a further opportunity for such derangement to occur.

But as we can't roll back, we may never know :-)
    edited 13 August 2017, 4:49PM

I'd been thinking I ought to add an update to say I hadn't had any issues since performing the option 4 reset. Then today the problem returned. Then I checked the software version number and it had been updated.
  • Robert JamesRobert James Member Posts: 1
    edited 8 September 2017, 2:55AM
    Keith1 said:

I've simply stopped using box as I used to since awful update with plusnet channel "choices".
  • frankiefrankie Member Posts: 1
    edited 10 September 2017, 11:15PM

Still no option to change to 16/9 from 4/3 ratio when are they going to sort this obvious flaw?I love watching Talking Pictures but do not love the 4/3 ratio. My tv can change the ratio but not the super dupa youview box?  
    edited 2 November 2017, 10:39AM
    @frankie said:

Still no option to change to 16/9 from 4/3 ratio when are they going to sort this obvious flaw?I love watching Talking Pictures but do not love the 4/3 ratio. My tv can change the ratio but not the super dupa youview box?  
    Correct.

Search the forum for 'Stretchyvision' :-)

YouView deliberately embed 4:3 content in a 16:9 frame, so the receiving TV does not know it was ever 4:3.

I think this breaks a Digital UK recommendation (or worse), and it would be quite easy for YouView to pass through the information that the transmission was originally 4:3, in an out-of-band signal, even within their current strategy.

But they won't, as Auntie YouView thinks she knows what is best for you :-(
  • mikwatmikwat Member Posts: 1
    Caught this update with some excitement that normal back button functionality (channel jump to previous selection and back) had been delivered to YouView+ - usually available either via a back button or pressing an exit button in full screen mode - in the case of the Humax box 'close'.. Would be marvellous if this was implemented, I just moved over to YouView+ and it's the only thing I really miss from other suppliers
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    mikwat said:
    Caught this update with some excitement that normal back button functionality (channel jump to previous selection and back) had been delivered to YouView+ - usually available either via a back button or pressing an exit button in full screen mode - in the case of the Humax box 'close'.. Would be marvellous if this was implemented, I just moved over to YouView+ and it's the only thing I really miss from other suppliers
    Hi @mikwat - the chances of YouView implementing a back to previous channel feature (assuming I have understood your wish correctly) would seem very unlikely. Such a feature request is item 58 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests. The reference topic linked from that item goes back to 2012, soon after YouView launched.