HUMAX OR YOUVIEW ??

fre55diefre55die Posts: 161Member
edited 26 June 2017, 9:29AM in Support

2 Questions:

1) The non usability of the USB port to input a device.

2) Not being able to change remote channel (I have 2 boxes in same room) 

Are these a physical HUMAX or a Youview  programming limitation ??

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 June 2017, 11:26PM
    USB inputs can be used as charging devices or rescue solutions (thank god). They can also be used for accessibility keyboards. 
    And no, you cannot use two in the same room, as one will effect the other. YouView remotes are not programmable, sorry.
    Its a Humax design. Kind of.
  • fre55diefre55die Posts: 161Member
    edited 16 June 2017, 11:34PM
    Cheers VM but you haven't answered if they are physical limitations or YV program. Surely with the announcement of ALEXA support development, enabling the port would be an obvious thing. As the port supports keyboard input I should have thought that it is a YV limitation ??
    edited 16 June 2017, 11:44PM

YV How do you download the recovery option to a USB Flash drive ?? Or are you just referring to the Maintenance options ??

edited 16 June 2017, 11:45PM
    No. They send you one. If I may, why can you not use one of the five reset options available? 
    edited 16 June 2017, 11:48PM

VM I can and do but, you seemed to infer that the USB port could be used.

edited 16 June 2017, 11:51PM

Anyway how are you ??

edited 16 June 2017, 11:51PM
    Yes it can be used, but fre55die, whats the problem? 
    edited 16 June 2017, 11:56PM
    None, I was just asking 2 questions ? It would be useful to use the USB port properly to connect say a firestick, chromecast, or just a hard/flash drive. Trials eh !!!
    edited 17 June 2017, 12:44AM
    Hey, thanks for asking. I'm fine thanks. Hope your OK too.
    But since that post on the TT forum things kinda went quiet... 
    Glad to see normal service resumed. :)
    edited 17 June 2017, 12:10AM
    fre55die>
    "None, I was just asking 2 questions ? It would be useful to use the USB port properly to connect say a firestick, chromecast, or just a hard/flash drive. Trials eh !!!"

Ha! Cross posting! Sorry.
    OK, the USB ports can currently only be used for accessibility keyboards, charging and rescue, and thats basically it.
    edited 17 June 2017, 12:19AM
    Visionman said:

Hey, thanks for asking. I'm fine thanks. Hope your OK too.
    But since that post on the TT forum things kinda went quiet... 
    Glad to see normal service resumed. :)

Which post ?? Or are you talking about the "LEAK" which in all fairness was a  positive amongst a sea of negativity !!!
    edited 17 June 2017, 12:38AM

I know BUT what I was asking SUPPORT was are they physical or YV limitations, I.E. could YV update software to enable port ?? As YV use HUMAX as their main developer and TT use Huawei, if the spec excludes using port no doubt the TT spec will be the minimum !! Or am I just being a cynic ?? However BT Germany use Huawei !!!

edited 17 June 2017, 1:12AM
    No, I'm not aware they are planning to do that. They're a bit busy right now. :)
    edited 17 June 2017, 1:15AM

They have already publicly announced ALEXA support development so to me the USB port is logical

Night See you on the forums!! :)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 June 2017, 1:37PM
    fre55die, Alexa runs on Ethernet devices, so I don't see the USB connection?

But YouView seem very determined that no media content shall pass either way over the USB port :-(
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
    edited 18 June 2017, 9:33PM
    Roy1 said:

But YouView seem very determined that no media content shall pass either way over the USB port :-(

Hi Roy

I don't use ALEXA myself. My point is that if they want a simple functionality add then, by enabling USB port it would enable a voice controlled firestick (or chromecast etc.)to be plugged in, then the minor programming changes should be both cheap and relatively easy.

edited 19 June 2017, 8:35AM
    Roy1 said:

But both these devices have HDMI outputs, not USB.

Which means, however, that they can be plugged directly into a TV, alongside the connection of your YouView box, if you have a spare HDMI port.

Where they can provide whatever functionality they provide with no further programming at all.

But supposing the HDMI/USB connector type and protocol differences could be overcome, what would you envisage as the benefits of being able to plug one of these devices into a YouView box, beyond what you could get by plugging one directly into your TV?

The actual size of the SMOP (small matter of programming) that might then be involved does depend on what you are trying to achieve.

Whatever Alexa will achieve for YouView, I see her achieving it by being a super-remote, rather than anything else.

Where I am hoping that a dialogue of the form 'Alexa tell YouView to show my recordings' (by analogy with what I need to say to Alexa to get her to make my Hive Home adjust the room temperature) will save me five or so keypresses every time.
    Holding my breath....
    edited 19 June 2017, 10:36AM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Roy my mistake a friend of mine said that it plugged in to the USB socket of a TV not the HDMI port.

edited 19 June 2017, 1:37PM
    Roy1 said:

:-)
    Holding my breath....