Huawei DN371T Not updating software.

Timjs1209Timjs1209 Member Posts: 22
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Support
I have just purchased a new Huawei retail Youview box (DN371T) and have installed it after removing my old TalkTalk box.
The problem that I have is that the software is very old (71.30.05) and even after doing a couple of resets and a maintenance reset, the software will not update to the latest version (71.42.57).
I have tried to force an update via the settings menuu but it searches for about three minutes before saying that it has failed and to try again.
It has been in place for a week now and so doesn't even update itself overnight.
According to the Youview latest software page, 71.42.57 is 'complete'. So although my box is new, it is 'old-stock' and should still get the updates? I have read that Youview policy is that nobody will be left behind!
I have called the Youview helpline and the chap was very polite but couldn't help. I have also called Huawei and the guy hadn't even heard of the DN371T. So no help there.
Surely there is a way to update my box? It is a Youview box after all and thats a major feature of the platform.
I should add that the box is faultless in operation. Pretty fast and reliable. I cannot see that there is an issue with the box itself.
Can someone please help?
Thanks.

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 June 2017, 8:15AM
    Ahhh, this old chestnut. :)
    TT & BT behave very differently where new and/or multiple boxes are concerned.
    With BT, a user can manually nominate any box they wish themselves by going into BT Settings. With TT, you have to get them to do it for you by asking an OCE on the TT forum.
    https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p/116
    Though make sure your account details are fully up to date including your telephone number.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 June 2017, 9:43PM
    Visionman said:

With BT, a user can manually nominate any box they wish themselves by going into BT Settings. With TT, you have to get them to do it for you by asking an OCE on the TT forum.
    Though make sure your account details are fully up to date including your telephone number.

Is that correct Visionman? Your reply would seem to contradict YouView's "No box left behind" policy.

I thought that any YouView box connected to the internet should update when its time comes.
    edited 17 June 2017, 9:51PM
    Visionman said:

As I said, TT behave differently. What I said was correct.  
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 June 2017, 8:16AM
    Hi Tim, I have never seen anyone else here posting about a retail Huawei box, model DN371T, where did you get it?

I suspect others may have been confused by this. Maybe the YouView team can pick up on this and help.

But why did you buy this in the first place? If you are a TalkTalk customer they can help you up to and including a replacement box.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 June 2017, 11:28PM
    Visionman said:

I thought that nominating a box was only for IPTV. I haven't got TV with Plusnet, but both of our BT Humax boxes got their update on Plusnet broadband.
    edited 18 June 2017, 12:58AM
    Visionman said:

No.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 June 2017, 7:11AM
    redchiz said:

Hi Tim, I have never seen anyone else here posting about a retail Huawei box, model DN371T, where did you get it?

I suspect others may have been confused by this. Maybe the YouView team can pick up on this and help.

But why did you buy this in the first place? If you are a TalkTalk customer they can help you up to and including a replacement box.

As chiz says why did you buy this model and where from?
    Also how much did you pay for it?
    There's an excellent YouView box available from as little as £119 at present.
    edited 18 June 2017, 7:16AM
    Visionman said:

Why are you talking about nominating primary boxes when this thread is about a box not updating?
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 18 June 2017, 8:15AM
    Visionman said:

Also this thread is about a retail, non-ISP box.
    edited 18 June 2017, 8:16AM
    redchiz said:

Occasionally 'New' DN371Ts come up on ebay.  They are no longer manufactured.  The ones I've seen for sale 'new' appear to be unused second hand DN371Ts rather than never sold before clearance stock.  The price tends to almost rival a 'new' DN372Ts but having said that the last one sold on ebay at the end of May was slightly cheaper again at £35 incl P&P.
    edited 18 June 2017, 8:36AM
    Hi Tim.
    Although 71.42.57 is 'complete' it is not a next generation software version.
    That youview have stated that for next generation no box will be left behind the absence of a roll-out to DN371T to anybody stand out even more.

My suspicion is that what is stopping the roll-out of next generation to the DN371T getting started may also be impacting your ability to update to what was the most recently available version of the old generation for the DN371T.

In other words I've come to the same conclusion as redchiz but for a very different reason.

I.e. Maybe the YouView team can pick up on this and help.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 June 2017, 8:29AM
    There are some 372s on Amazon, but nary a 371 in sight, not even on eBay.

But there is - or was - such a box, despite TalkTalk support not knowing about it. (And why should they? It is Huawei, not TalkTalk, who supplied this box, and via retailers, not via TalkTalk).

This being the case, I wonder where the latest release would be sourced from. As I understand it, releases all used to come centrally from YouView in reality, despite being based on the original source of the box you had, but now they are controlled by the ISPs, for ISP boxes.

And, I guess, still YouView for retail boxes, which the 371 is; but I wonder if it has fallen down a crack, and nobody is supplying this update any more?

But certainly, it is YouView to whom this query should be addressed, not TalkTalk, and a phone call to 0333-313-2278 is in order if this thread does not produce an answer.

There are some small questions here, Timsj1209, which you can perhaps help us with -
    Where was this 371 sourced from?
    Was it an absolutely kosher source?
    Why buy it at all when you already had a TalkTalk box that was yours to keep, even if you were ending a TalkTalk subscription?
    Was there something wrong with it?
    Why the 371, and not a more powerful Humax YouView box?
    Did you think you had to have a 371 to use YouView over TalkTalk?

But you have it now, and yes it should update, and if Visionman is really saying that TalkTalk (who should have nothing to do with 371s which are not operating, or trying to operate, on their subscription service) are inhibiting the update, and this is really true, then this is not how things should be.

This all looks like a right tangle; let's hope YouView can sever the Gordian knot for you.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 18 June 2017, 8:36AM

Hi Tim.
    Although 71.42.57 is 'complete' it is not a next generation software version.
    That youview have stated that for next generation no box will be left behind the absence of a roll-out to DN371T to anybody stand out even more.

My suspicion is that what is stopping the roll-out of next generation to the DN371T getting started may also be impacting your ability to update to what was the most recently available version of the old generation for the DN371T.

In other words I've come to the same conclusion as redchiz but for a very different reason.

I.e. Maybe the YouView team can pick up on this and help.

Perhaps YouView have pulled all the OldGen versions, in favour of NextGen, thus stranding older 371s in No Man's Land?

But if 371s can't be updated, no wonder they are all gone; they have been snapped up by List Luddites :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 18 June 2017, 11:24AM
    Upon re-reading this thread I believe I am wrong and chiz and Yasha are nearer to the truth. I made the assumption (deadly) that Timis1209 was a subber (subscription user). Which may not be the case at all. These boxes are rare... 
  • Timjs1209Timjs1209 Member Posts: 22
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Hi all. Many thanks for the comments. This surely is a mystery.
    I bought the DN371T from a local seller on Gumtree. It was advertised as refurbished, but when it arrived, it still had all protective film on it and complete accessories and manuals etc.
    I used my old 372 for a few years and have been very pleased with it. I also used it to watch subscription channels. However, last year I got a Humax T200 to replace the 372 and had it changed to primary box so as to watch my subscription channels. It has updated to NextGen without problem. However, I really don't like the NextGen interface and coupled with a few other 'niggles' such as the whirring and the fact that I really think the picture quality is better on the Huawei boxes, I couldn't resist the 371 when I saw it advertised. One real benefit of the Huawei models is that they are completely silent in operation. I can hear the Humax always!
    So to answer a couple of questions, I do know that I can use any box and have certainly tried a few!
    The 371 appealed because of the points already made and the fact it has a 500G hard drive and I knew that NextGen hadn't yet arrived on the 371. 
    The first reply by Visionman gave the impression that I had to contact TalkTalk to get the 371 changed to primary box before it would update. This seems to imply that TalkTalk are inhibiting a retail box from updating and that, surely, must be wrong?
    I have thought about taking it to my sons house and installing it from scratch using his internet. He is also with TalkTalk, but not a Youview customer. This might work?
    I do think that Youview need to join in here and help out. The 371 is a retail box, bought in good faith and it should still be supported. If it is not supported anymore, then could someone at Youview confirm as such ?
    Although I joined the community specifically to find an answer to my problem, I have been a visitor for many years. I have noted that Youview don't seem to respond very much. I would hope that someone does on this occasion because this is quite an issue.
    Many thanks for all of your contributions.
    Tim
    edited 18 June 2017, 2:48PM
    OK Tim, thanks for the added info. The TalkTalk thing is a red herring, setting the box as Primary is only required for the purposes of any subscription TV Boosts you have with TalkTalk, as a retail box software updates have nothing to do with them at all.

So only YouView can answer: will there be any further updates for this make and model at all?
    edited 20 June 2017, 6:50PM
    I emailed Youview support yesterday and have just received a reply. It does appear that the 371 has been left behind. I would hope that it could be updated to the final 'OldGen' version of 71.42.57 and I would be quite happy if it didn't get 'NextGen'.
    Heres hoping. I can't be the only 371 owner in the country!

Youview reply:-
    Thank you for contacting YouView support.    The Retail DN371T has not been sent any software updates. I will escalate this up to see if we can get any more information on this. This link below shows that it is still on the old gen generation software:    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions    If you have any further issues please don’t hesitate to reply to this email or call our support  line  on the number below. 
    edited 19 June 2017, 5:16PM
    Well knock me down with a feather... I've just noticed the model you have isn't listed on the YouView website. Does anyone know if it is on TalkTalks? I wonder how many of these units were shifted (sold)? A thousand?
    edited 19 June 2017, 5:25PM
    VM, why would it be on TalkTalk's website? It is a retail box, nothing to do with them. It is mentioned on the latest software page, where else would you expect to find it?

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions
    edited 28 June 2017, 6:11AM
    VM, why would it be on TalkTalk's website? It is a retail box, nothing to do with them. It is mentioned on the YouView website on the latest software page, where else would you expect to find it?

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions
    edited 20 June 2017, 6:50PM
    Well, I have had some interesting, albeit not good news today.
    Another email from Youview support has stated:-

This issue has been escalated to our head office and they have advised us that the software version on  your box is a trial version of the software installed by Huawei. This is the reason it wont’ update as its not designed to, we recommend contacting Huawei to enquire about getting an alternate software for the box.

Huawei: 0800 088 6700

So I have called Huawei support (as done previously) and I can't get any help whatsoever. Nobody there seems to have even heard of the 371, let alone advise on how I can get 'official' retail software onto my box!

My thoughts are maybe Huawei manufactured a number of 371's for trial only and these were probably sent to Huawei customers for appraisal before the official version was launched?
    I have emailed Huawei support and might get some hopeful news, but I doubt it.

Now! Does anybody know if I could transplant the 500GB hard drive from the 371 into my 372? Is the box software actually on the hard drive (so no swap really possible), or held elsewhere within the box.
    Just thinking aloud really just in case no-go with Huawei.
    In all respects, a pretty naff situation.
    Still, the seller has agreed to take it back. He has told me that he could easily sell it on ebay!
    If it does come to that, I will advise members accordingly to give it a miss.

Watch this space!
    edited 19 June 2017, 7:38PM
    redchiz said:

VM, why would it be on TalkTalk's website? It is a retail box, nothing to do with them. It is mentioned on the YouView website on the latest software page, where else would you expect to find it?

My apologies and thanks for pointing that out. The model is listed under Retail, not  TalkTalk. So it is on the update list.
    edited 19 June 2017, 7:38PM
    redchiz said:

No worries. :)
    edited 19 June 2017, 8:41PM
    You might find this interesting :
    https://community.youview.com/youview...
    If I was you I think I'd send it back to the seller.
    edited 19 June 2017, 8:36PM
    jimb said:

Looks like remote controls are hard to find as well :
    edited 19 June 2017, 8:41PM
    jimb said:

It looks like the OP is quite sussed about all this as it happens and chose the Huawei specifically for the reasons he explained earlier. So a single person review from many years ago should not be given too much credence. Nor are replacement remotes at the front of his mind just now I imagine!

What remains intriguing though is the provenance of this box and the mysterious software version which is seemingly incapable of being updated.
    edited 19 June 2017, 8:55PM
    redchiz said:

Startlingly....

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/huaw...

though they haven't got any :-)
  • rezabeladyrezabelady Member Posts: 3
    edited 22 June 2017, 10:15PM
    I saw a couple of these - brand new, sealed box - in Asda reduced to £12 on Friday and seemed like a pretty good deal so picked one up. Unfortunately I've found out the same as you, the box will not update and does not load iPlayer or ITV Hub but otherwise initially it seemed to perform OK if a little slow.

I think the version number is slightly different to yours, however after changing some settings yesterday now it is actually not responding at all, just displays a black screen after boot up.

By the way, the response from YouView about trial software sounds like rubbish to me..
    edited 20 June 2017, 1:04AM

I saw a couple of these - brand new, sealed box - in Asda reduced to £12 on Friday and seemed like a pretty good deal so picked one up. Unfortunately I've found out the same as you, the box will not update and does not load iPlayer or ITV Hub but otherwise initially it seemed to perform OK if a little slow.

I think the version number is slightly different to yours, however after changing some settings yesterday now it is actually not responding at all, just displays a black screen after boot up.

By the way, the response from YouView about trial software sounds like rubbish to me..

£12? Take it back for a refund, no rush. ;)
    edited 20 June 2017, 1:06AM

Lol. Just clearing shelf space.