Huawei DN371T Not updating software.

13»

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2017, 6:11AM
    Timjs1209 said:

Hi all. Many thanks for the comments. This surely is a mystery.
    I bought the DN371T from a local seller on Gumtree. It was advertised as refurbished, but when it arrived, it still had all protective film on it and complete accessories and manuals etc.
    I used my old 372 for a few years and have been very pleased with it. I also used it to watch subscription channels. However, last year I got a Humax T200 to replace the 372 and had it changed to primary box so as to watch my subscription channels. It has updated to NextGen without problem. However, I really don't like the NextGen interface and coupled with a few other 'niggles' such as the whirring and the fact that I really think the picture quality is better on the Huawei boxes, I couldn't resist the 371 when I saw it advertised. One real benefit of the Huawei models is that they are completely silent in operation. I can hear the Humax always!
    So to answer a couple of questions, I do know that I can use any box and have certainly tried a few!
    The 371 appealed because of the points already made and the fact it has a 500G hard drive and I knew that NextGen hadn't yet arrived on the 371. 
    The first reply by Visionman gave the impression that I had to contact TalkTalk to get the 371 changed to primary box before it would update. This seems to imply that TalkTalk are inhibiting a retail box from updating and that, surely, must be wrong?
    I have thought about taking it to my sons house and installing it from scratch using his internet. He is also with TalkTalk, but not a Youview customer. This might work?
    I do think that Youview need to join in here and help out. The 371 is a retail box, bought in good faith and it should still be supported. If it is not supported anymore, then could someone at Youview confirm as such ?
    Although I joined the community specifically to find an answer to my problem, I have been a visitor for many years. I have noted that Youview don't seem to respond very much. I would hope that someone does on this occasion because this is quite an issue.
    Many thanks for all of your contributions.
    Tim

Most of us have only got 500GB boxes anyway.

And no one would dream of trying to talk you out of your NextGen boxes.

But there are very many people who don't feel the same way about NextGen, and, for them at least, you have to try to look at it from their point of view.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Timjs1209Timjs1209 Member Posts: 22
    edited 1 July 2017, 8:50AM
    Timjs1209 said:

I bought the DN371T from a local seller on Gumtree. It was advertised as refurbished, but when it arrived, it still had all protective film on it and complete accessories and manuals etc.
    I used my old 372 for a few years and have been very pleased with it. I also used it to watch subscription channels. However, last year I got a Humax T200 to replace the 372 and had it changed to primary box so as to watch my subscription channels. It has updated to NextGen without problem. However, I really don't like the NextGen interface and coupled with a few other 'niggles' such as the whirring and the fact that I really think the picture quality is better on the Huawei boxes, I couldn't resist the 371 when I saw it advertised. One real benefit of the Huawei models is that they are completely silent in operation. I can hear the Humax always!
    So to answer a couple of questions, I do know that I can use any box and have certainly tried a few!
    The 371 appealed because of the points already made and the fact it has a 500G hard drive and I knew that NextGen hadn't yet arrived on the 371. 
    The first reply by Visionman gave the impression that I had to contact TalkTalk to get the 371 changed to primary box before it would update. This seems to imply that TalkTalk are inhibiting a retail box from updating and that, surely, must be wrong?
    I have thought about taking it to my sons house and installing it from scratch using his internet. He is also with TalkTalk, but not a Youview customer. This might work?
    I do think that Youview need to join in here and help out. The 371 is a retail box, bought in good faith and it should still be supported. If it is not supported anymore, then could someone at Youview confirm as such ?
    Although I joined the community specifically to find an answer to my problem, I have been a visitor for many years. I have noted that Youview don't seem to respond very much. I would hope that someone does on this occasion because this is quite an issue.
    Tim

Well, my DN371T is performing just as well as my Humax T2000 did (which I have just sold on ebay). Since the software update it is as quick as the Humax, is quiter and having used both, it has a superior picture. So there you are! You now know one person in real life who would (and has) traded his Humax for a Huawei!
    I don't get why someone feels the need to 'highjack' a thread to shout about how 'better' something else is, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the original issue.
    It was and is about the Huawei software problem which has been addressed. If you prefer Humax and NextGen, then thats fine, but don't make assumptions. 
    As a wise old Chinese Sage said- 'If you go with the sheep, you will never experience life. If you go with life, you will never be a sheep'
    Mind you, that Chinese Sage was  a shepherd who had just been made redundant!
    Lighten up. Lifes too short!
    Tim
    edited 1 July 2017, 8:54AM
    Nice one!
    I have all of my family keeping an eye out should any more turn up in Asda. I would buy another one in an instant!
    Tim
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2017, 8:16PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Tim I wasn't hijacking or shouting about it. I was voicing my opinion which is what forums are all about at the end of the day if you are happy with your purchase then of course I'm happy for you. I certainly disagree with many aspects of your opinion just as many disagree with my opinion which is people's right just as it is mine. I of course can see it from your point of view. Obviously you prefer the lists where I need lots of space because I record a lot.

Youview can mean a lot of things to different people.

Roy I do see the point of view of other people and at the end of the day if I didn't like next gen I would be annoyed to. I can also see people been annoyed by features that they have used over the years been taking away from the boxes. Obviously with me liking next gen I obviously think differently but of course people are entitled to there opinion while from my perspective I struggled to see why I user give up a humax box when I had time to think abit more about it is obvious the user is desperately trying to cling on to having the youview classic software which is his right in the free society we live in. While it would be no good to a person who feels the need to plug in two youview boxes and a sky q box I more than appropriate that's not a setup most homes would have and I certainly appreciate the users right to his perspective and right to make his own choices in his life.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 July 2017, 7:26AM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Great. But if you had thought that through before posting, and reasoned that this user had made a rational choice based on his priorities, just as you have made a different rational choice based on your priorities, it might have saved us all this, if not exactly hijack, as least detour.

Obviously, NextGen as is, even short of all the facilities we took for granted on CurrentGen, suits you so well, given your disabilities, that you are enormously enthusiastic for it, and this is understandable.

But you do have to accept that you are in a very small minority, possibly a minority of one, and criticism of NextGen, direct or implied, is not criticism of you; and the best you can hope for, restating your special circumstances, is that people will say "OK, I can see his point of view given that, but it certainly does not apply to me".

As you have done above, more or less exactly, about Tim's circumstances.

There are times to bang the drum, certainly, but there are also times not to bang the drum :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 2 July 2017, 3:25PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Anyway, in the interest of balance, heres a pic of under my TV. Looks pretty cool! LOL!image
    edited 2 July 2017, 3:32PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Is that a now tv box on top of it I couldn't quite tell because it looks like a light is shining on it I'm guessing it's because of the flash on the phone
    edited 2 July 2017, 4:22PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Yes, its a NowTV box. Although I have around thirty Sky channels via my TalkTalk Boosts, I use the Now box for Sky Movies and the occasional football match. Much better than committing to a contract and used mostly during the winter. (And that is the flash reflected).
    Tim
    edited 2 July 2017, 4:24PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

That is a downfall of youview like. The lack of a full now tv app complete with live channels. Not much that can be done I don't think though because of now tv not using multicast. It's a shame really.
  • user1user1 Member Posts: 6
    edited 10 November 2022, 4:30PM
    How can i go about getting a copy of the DN731T software update?? i have same problem as Timjs1209, bought "new" off ebay (Software version: 71.30.07) but no apps working and update fails each time, i have limited time to return, hoping i might be able to get it updated somehow.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 902 ✭✭
    edited 10 November 2022, 7:09PM
    user1 said:
    How can i go about getting a copy of the DN731T software update?? i have same problem as Timjs1209, bought "new" off ebay (Software version: 71.30.07) but no apps working and update fails each time, i have limited time to return, hoping i might be able to get it updated somehow.
    Hi @user1,

Welcome to the Youview forum. Interested in what you mention, but I'm afraid you should have done your research first! This model was discontinued a few years ago & still has the older (original version) of Youview software. Very rare to find online. It has been talked about many times in the past that it was not going to receive any more software updates. No longer supported, hence why this was a very popular choice to grab hold of if you didn't want to receive the new software version currently used by Youview.

What would I do? I would try & sell your box online for the best highest price! Many buyers are searching for one! It's now getting rare. You could easily purchase a Youview BT 2100/4000 for around £40/50+ (or less) that are far superior to the Talk Talk models. if you search around for many refurb pvrs out there. Here is just one example from Ebay: (there are many honest sellers on EBay inc. myself!, but I don't sell Youview items).

BT YOUVIEW DTR-T2100 500GB FREEVIEW TWIN TUNER RECORDER IN FULLY WORKING ORDER | eBay

When did you purchase your box? Recently? If it was from Gumtree, I would simply ask seller for a full refund if you are not happy/it was sold with incorrect details etc. etc. But if the seller has sold item to you in good faith with correct details/they were not aware of software issues, you haven't any case for refund. You could contact Gumtree directly, but not sure where you stand. How much did you pay for the box? Hopefully not more than £40/50+ John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭
    edited 10 November 2022, 8:24PM
    Hello and welcome. 

First off Timjs had this problem over 5 years ago so if it was difficult then it's ni on impossible in 2022.

If you can stretch to around £60 you can get the 4k youview box

Plenty on e bay

...I know hindsight is an exact science but John's right when buying anything like this... knowledge is power and a little digging would have saved you buying this pre historic box.

If you can then return it but I can't envisage a situation where you can get a refund unless the seller actually deceived you.

Live and learn. 

Deacon Blue hit from October 88
    edited 11 November 2022, 10:36AM
    Thanks for the replies, i did do some limited searching before buying but didn't find anything about dodgy software versions until i found this thread, i've used the DN370T for many years and had little probs with this, i was simply upgrading to the retail version of the box with larger hard drive.

Didn't youview have a "no box left behind" policy, is that no longer in place?
    i noticed youview sent the last guy a USB stick with the update, ive also seen other ebay sellers selling these boxes mentioning in the description "new"(but been opened to update software), this bit now makes sense.
    I wonder why youview don't make the software available online yet the other 2 models seem easy enough to find, also wondering if the software from the DN370T or 372 will run the 371 box, any ideas?
    i seemed to think they where almost identical boxes just one with a larger hard drive.

One other question, out of the BT boxes BT 2100/4000 or the latest talktalk 4k box which would you say is better? i didn't like the look of the talktalk 4k as it looked like a android box to me and ive not been keen on those in the past but have not tried the new talktalk one, just curious what you guys reccomend as the better box?
    Thanks for your help
    edited 11 November 2022, 11:36AM

Hi @user1,
    The DN371 model is the only model as far as I know that retained the older software. Hence why if you find a box online they tend to sell for a high price due to being rare. Sorry, no, you can't swap software from other Talktalk & other models. Have you used & seen the current Youview software? It has some new features, but not to everyone's approval.  I have the BT2100 (actually have several around home along with other pvrs!), but a lot of users opt for the BT4000. It's a good pvr, covers most of what you need to watch/record/catchup on tv. It's getting a bit dated now, but still the current model, but only sold refurblished/used. The BT4000 has same menu in most cases, it can upscale to 4K, but only if the apps allow it/plus if you are subscribed to ISP 4K channels. Most tv is still 1080p/720p. Youview still at the moment support the BT2100/4000 models with updates. You will have to ask Youview themselves the reasons regarding software support. Maybe @shaunf can advise you.

The BT Pro pvr, I haven't got, but have seen the instructions and very similar to other current Youview boxes with a few extras. Pricey (but you could find a bargain on Ebay) unless it is something you want, but it is aimed for subscription users. I tend to use various equipment: freeview/youview/freesat for tv viewing from new and a lot older technology + an Amazon firestick for apps, tends to be faster/more updated. Best of both worlds! But as mentioned, it is well worth researching first with all technology & various models old & used. I would recommend reading reviews from various places (not just Amazon as some reviews are biased) /downloading instructions to get some idea in advance before spending money. I spend a great deal of time doing this in advance. Gained a lot of knowledge over the years. John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 681 ✭✭
    And don't forget the ITV hub or replacement will stop having some shows as they won't be compatible with the app running on the 370 and presumably 371 boxes.
    Other apps too, that later boxes can accommodate, such as Now, won't work on older boxes.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭
    John L said:

Hi @user1,
    The DN371 model is the only model as far as I know that retained the older software. Hence why if you find a box online they tend to sell for a high price due to being rare. Sorry, no, you can't swap software from other Talktalk & other models. Have you used & seen the current Youview software? It has some new features, but not to everyone's approval.  I have the BT2100 (actually have several around home along with other pvrs!), but a lot of users opt for the BT4000. It's a good pvr, covers most of what you need to watch/record/catchup on tv. It's getting a bit dated now, but still the current model, but only sold refurblished/used. The BT4000 has same menu in most cases, it can upscale to 4K, but only if the apps allow it/plus if you are subscribed to ISP 4K channels. Most tv is still 1080p/720p. Youview still at the moment support the BT2100/4000 models with updates. You will have to ask Youview themselves the reasons regarding software support. Maybe @shaunf can advise you.

The BT Pro pvr, I haven't got, but have seen the instructions and very similar to other current Youview boxes with a few extras. Pricey (but you could find a bargain on Ebay) unless it is something you want, but it is aimed for subscription users. I tend to use various equipment: freeview/youview/freesat for tv viewing from new and a lot older technology + an Amazon firestick for apps, tends to be faster/more updated. Best of both worlds! But as mentioned, it is well worth researching first with all technology & various models old & used. I would recommend reading reviews from various places (not just Amazon as some reviews are biased) /downloading instructions to get some idea in advance before spending money. I spend a great deal of time doing this in advance. Gained a lot of knowledge over the years. John L

Re software support...

it's no secret that the current relatively tiny funding from the likes of itv and bbc ends in under 18 months. 

Maybe that could be a contributing factor? 

Re pro box.

Officially only available from bt but there's a few on e bay.

Expect to pay around the £100 mark.

It's lightyears ahead of it's predecessors as it's wifi enabled with the ability to record 4 shows at once.

Also double the storage space 

It can even show terrestrial stations over the Internet without the need of an antenna but you need a bt subscription for that particular feature. 

It really is on a par with its sky and Virgin counterparts 

The only fly in the ointment is it's woeful range of App's. 
    Deacon Blue hit from October 88
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭
    user1 said:
    Read this thread. It contains a lot of information about the mysterious DN371T.
    It's probably out of date now, but it includes how the OP succeeded in updating his box's software.
    jonesh said:
    user1 said:
    Read this thread. It contains a lot of information about the mysterious DN371T.
    It's probably out of date now, but it includes how the OP succeeded in updating his box's software.

Hi, i did read all the thread yes, it very very useful to understand what the problem is but i see the last guy seemed to get assisted from a youview support person on this forum, he tried youview support who then directed him to huawei, they sent him back i think, only then youview helped him from what i can make out, something like that. 
    Hoping someone from youview might read this and comment.

I will drop youview an email in the meantime and see if i get anywhere.

(i did reply to your last post "John L" but the comment has been held for approval it seems after i tried to tag your name i think and not yet been posted up)
    Youview's advice for updating DN371T software is to contact Huawei on 0800 088 6700.
    jonesh said:
    Youview's advice for updating DN371T software is to contact Huawei on 0800 088 6700.
    Huawei said they no longer have any info on their systems about the box so are unable to offer any support, said they sometimes have deals with other companies who they make certain products for, not sure if i'd get anywhere with talktalk, might try them one day but that wil be a long call im sure. 

Hi @user1,
    As mentioned before, this is not supported anymore. Why are you asking same question? You purchased the box from Gumtree & didn't know about the background to the Youview boxes. There were many variations in the early days. You are not going to solve your problem if TalkTalk can't help you. Technology is changing all the time and some devices are not being supported anymore. But there are some buyers that would love to own the OLDGEN (original software version). If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? 

Why not watch your recordings & then sell the box online. I'm sure you will get an excellent price for this rare box. Then purchase a replacement, or get one to use as main box, while you are clearing down recordings. Problem solved? John L
    The 371T is not a TalkTalk box, but a retail variation. Therefore TalkTalk will not be able to help you.
    John L said:
    Hi @user1,
    As mentioned before, this is not supported anymore. Why are you asking same question? You purchased the box from Gumtree & didn't know about the background to the Youview boxes. There were many variations in the early days. You are not going to solve your problem if TalkTalk can't help you. Technology is changing all the time and some devices are not being supported anymore. But there are some buyers that would love to own the OLDGEN (original software version). If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? 

Why not watch your recordings & then sell the box online. I'm sure you will get an excellent price for this rare box. Then purchase a replacement, or get one to use as main box, while you are clearing down recordings. Problem solved? John L
    i wasn't asking any question John L(read my last post) and i didn't buy from gumtree, i was simply updating other users on this forum as to the outcome of my call to Huawei to save others having to do the same thing.
    Thanks to those who replied
    edited 15 November 2022, 5:20PM
    The 371T is not a TalkTalk box, but a retail variation. Therefore TalkTalk will not be able to help you.
    i did tell them it was a "retail box" not talktalk as they told me it was a talktalk box but i had to explain the different model numbers to them, they said talktalk was involved in that model and said i'd need to speak to them, whether thats true i have no idea
    user1 said:
    jonesh said:
    Huawei said they no longer have any info on their systems about the box so are unable to offer any support, said they sometimes have deals with other companies who they make certain products for, not sure if i'd get anywhere with talktalk, might try them one day but that wil be a long call im sure. 
    @user1
    Thank you for the update. 
    user1 said:
    John L said:
    Hi @user1,

i wasn't asking any question John L(read my last post) and i didn't buy from gumtree, i was simply updating other users on this forum as to the outcome of my call to Huawei to save others having to do the same thing.
    Thanks to those who replied
    Sorry, confusing you with another post with earlier with another user purchasing from gumtree. No problem. Hope you solve your problem. John L
    user1 said:
    i did tell them it was a "retail box" not talktalk as they told me it was a talktalk box but i had to explain the different model numbers to them, they said talktalk was involved in that model and said i'd need to speak to them, whether thats true i have no idea
    I've had a look at a thread on the TalkTalk forum, where someone was after help with a 371T box back in 2018 ( the only thread to reference this box).

Help was referred up the line but at each stage the advice was to contact Huawei. This is also YouView policy too as per this page.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions/

Presumably Hauwei have withdrawn any support for this old, pre Next Generation box, and features will get less and less as Apps are updated and will not run on first generation boxes.