Since the upgrade to 28.26.0 the box locks up on power up. Need to reboot the box via power reset,b

Mike14Mike14 Posts: 7Member
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Support
Latest upgrade 28.26.0 box locks up.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,101Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2017, 11:11AM
    See:-

https://community.youview.com/youview...

and come back and tell us if a Maintenance Mode Option 4 fixed this or not.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
  • Mike14Mike14 Posts: 7Member
    edited 20 June 2017, 11:10AM
    Thanks Roy, Have used maintenance mode 4 as suggested. Box appears to be stable. Will come back if this fails. Thanks for your prompt recommendation.
    edited 3 July 2017, 4:11PM
    Roy,
    Sorry to report after a two weeks the box is locking up again, so maintenance mode 4 reset did not cut the mustard. Any furhter thoughts?
    edited 3 July 2017, 4:22PM
    Do another one, and see how long it lasts this time.

If the first MM4 worked for two weeks, that, taken with the fact that lockups aren't being reported as a general problem with the updates, might indicate you have software corruption in your box that the MM4 cleared, but it has crept back.

Which might in turn suggest a problem with your box :-(

What make and model is it? When it was running for those two weeks without locking up, did you have any problems with recordings or schedules at all?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    edited 4 July 2017, 1:20PM
    Unit is a Humax DTRT1000,variant 80B0700.
    Unit functions correctly, before and after the power up lock up.
    Will reset the unit after Wimbledon on pain of death from the other half.
  • John Shepherd2John Shepherd2 Posts: 3Member
    edited 7 July 2017, 12:57PM
    Very similar problem here - DTRT1000, variant 80B0700. Since the new generation update arrived, the unit seems to occasionally lock up (maybe once a week?) ... we usually won't notice until trying to bring it out of standby, at which point the box doesn't respond at all until the power is cycled, then it'll start up and we'll typically discover it's missed a recent recording.

It ran rock-solid for years until the update. Very disappointing :(
    edited 5 July 2017, 5:54AM

Very similar problem here - DTRT1000, variant 80B0700. Since the new generation update arrived, the unit seems to occasionally lock up (maybe once a week?) ... we usually won't notice until trying to bring it out of standby, at which point the box doesn't respond at all until the power is cycled, then it'll start up and we'll typically discover it's missed a recent recording.

Anyone tried going back to the previous software revision?
  • SarahSarah Posts: 460Administrator admin
    edited 5 July 2017, 8:38AM

Hi John, 

I'm sorry to hear that your box has been acting up since updating. 

Can you try doing a soft reset (pressing and holding the power button for 8 seconds) and let us know if that changes anything? If that doesn't help, we recommend that you try a Maintenance Mode 4 (keeps your recordings but requires internet connection) and see if that helps. 

Mike - It's not possible to back-date to a previous update once your box has received the latest version of software.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 5 July 2017, 10:11AM

Yep, can try this. Will probably be a couple of weeks before I can tell if it's had any effect though (the curse of intermittent faults!)
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 987Administrator admin
    edited 7 July 2017, 12:57PM

Hi John, let us know how you get on and if this has had any impact on the problem you're experiencing. If the issue persists it would be good to take a bit more information so we can look into this.
    edited 10 July 2017, 4:48AM
    Have reset using MM4, box still fails to start correctly after 24Hrs, once reset good for the rest of the day, but fails the following A.M.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 987Administrator admin
    edited 10 July 2017, 11:43AM
    Hi Mike, thanks for updating on this one. I've emailed you over a number of questions on this issue. When you have an opportunity if you could respond with some feedback so we can investigate further.
    edited 10 July 2017, 10:45PM
    Here are my answers

1) Does the TV turn on when you bring the STB out of standby?
    Unable to get the box to display .TV sees the box but no video .
    2) On your T1000, what does the front panel display?
    Only the power indicator is on.
    3) What power mode have you set their device into?
    SMART
    4) If this is in SMART mode, what time is the box set to wake up at from deep standby?
    Deep sleep 1AM, End sleep 5AM.
    5) What time does the attempt to start up and fail happen (in the morning?)
    Normal day 1300Hrs switch on, 1800Hrs switch off.
    6) Which channel do you believe you were last watching when this happened?
    BBC1
    7) Who is your ISP? Do you have any ISP TV services on your YV box?
    Broad band service from BT. No TV service.
    8) Is their box paired to a mobile app (and which of iOS or Android)?
    No
    9) Did you have any recordings scheduled the night before the standby incident?
    Not sure, did fail to do a scheduled recording on one occasion.
  • Dave RobertsDave Roberts Posts: 4Member
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Hi,

I currently have a DTRT1000 (80B07000) running 28.26.0 and I get the same issue that the box freezes completely and requires a restart.

I have performed a factory reset, which seemed to work for a few days, but the problem has started again.

When the box freezes I have noted that it indicates that new software was checked for, not sure if this is done daily?

This issue is only a recent occurrence and prior to the latest update the box has worked very well.

Do you know if the issue has been caused by the 28.26.0 update and if so, do you know when a fix will be made available?

Thank you
    edited 12 July 2017, 9:06PM

Hi,

I currently have a DTRT1000 (80B07000) running 28.26.0 and I get the same issue that the box freezes completely and requires a restart.

I have performed a factory reset, which seemed to work for a few days, but the problem has started again.

When the box freezes I have noted that it indicates that new software was checked for, not sure if this is done daily?

This issue is only a recent occurrence and prior to the latest update the box has worked very well.

Do you know if the issue has been caused by the 28.26.0 update and if so, do you know when a fix will be made available?

Thank you

A number of boxes, with a preponderance of them being T1000s, fail to survive each update.

It's not something in the update (if it were, it could be fixed in the next release), but more the fact of the update.

That you did a Factory Reset and it lasted a few days, implies the box is corrupting itself every so often.

If you search the forum, you will find various suggestions about replacing capacitors that tend to fail in these T1000s; if you are handy with a soldering iron, or know someone who is, this may be worth trying.
    edited 12 July 2017, 9:42PM

Hi,

Thank you

Roy,

Thank you for your reply.

With regard to soldiering components, I am afraid that isn't really an option at the moment.

You mention that the box doesn't survive the update, is there anyway to stop it from performing this action? (I have tried to find something that relates, but there doesn't appear to be anything to control it).

Thank you
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,080Member ✭✭
    edited 12 July 2017, 11:08PM

Hi,

Thank you

The freezing issue is symptomatic of a box that is reaching the end of its life. It has been suggested that a software update puts extra stress on components that are already close to the edge and tips them over.

If the problem hadn't happened after a software update, then it probably wouldn't have been long before it started happening anyway.

edited 12 July 2017, 11:12PM

Hi,

Thank you

Thank you for your post.

Concerns me that a box that I purchased from Humax about 2.5 years ago is considered reaching end of life..
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,080Member ✭✭
    edited 12 July 2017, 11:22PM

Hi,

Thank you

Consider contacting Humax. It is ridiculous if your box is failing after two and a half years, but T1000s aren't renownd for their longevity.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,707Member ✭✭
    edited 13 July 2017, 12:27AM

Hi,

Thank you

If it was a brand new box approach the retailer with proof of purchase and exercise your rights under the sales of goods act.
    edited 13 July 2017, 8:35AM

Hi,

Thank you

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the details you've provided so far for this issue. It'd be helpful if you could answer the following:
    1) Does the TV turn on when you bring the STBout of standby? 

4) If this is in SMART mode, what time is the box set to wakeup at from deep standby? 

5) What time does the attempt to start up and fail happen (inthe morning?) 

6) Which channel do you believe you were last watching whenthis happened? 

7) Who is your ISP? Do you have any ISP TV services on yourYV box? 

8) Is their box paired to a mobile app (and which of iOS orAndroid)? 

9) Did you have any recordings scheduled the night before thestandby incident? 

Thanks,

Sarah 
    edited 14 July 2017, 7:46PM

Hi,

Thank you

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your post.

The box has frozen again (14/07/2017) after another reset (lasted a few days).

Regarding your questions:

- Normally yes (depends if the hdmi port was changed from the one allocated to the box)

- When the box has frozen, nothing (lights are dimmed)

- In the previous 2 resets, it was set to SMART, but for this I have changed it to Always Ready

4) If this is in SMART mode, what time is the box set to wake-up at from deep standby? 

- When it was in SMART mode, it was set to default

5) What time does the attempt to start up and fail happen (in the morning?) 

- Tends to be found to have frozen evening time when we come to watch television for the evening.

6) Which channel do you believe you were last watching when this happened? 

- Normally BBC's / ITV's or Dave

- No ISP TV services (I am not with BT etc)

- Originally yes, it was linked to 2 devices (one iOS, one Android), but after the last reset I did not pair any other devices

9) Did you have any recordings scheduled the night before the standby incident? 
    - There are recordings scheduled early evening time

With regard to the latest freeze (14/07/2017) the box worked without issue in the morning when a recorded program was watch, at which point it was put into standby and when checked again in early evening (approx. 20:00) it was found to be non-responsive.

Thank you

Dave
    edited 17 July 2017, 9:17AM

Hi,

Thank you

Thanks for answering all these questions Dave. I've forwarded this information on to be checked out.

Sarah
  • Bob RichardsBob Richards Posts: 2Member
    edited 11 August 2017, 3:09PM
    Just for the record my Humax T1000 is behaving in the same way after the recent lousy software update.

Bob  
    edited 2 August 2017, 8:22AM

Just for the record my Humax T1000 is behaving in the same way after the recent lousy software update.

Bob  

Hi Bob,

Can you please answer the below questions so we can look into this for you?

4) If this is in SMART mode, what time is the box set to wakeup at from deep standby? 

5) What time does the attempt to start up and fail happen (inthe morning?) 

6) Which channel do you believe you were last watching whenthis happened? 

9) Did you have any recordings scheduled the night before thestandby incident? 

Thanks,

Sarah 
  • Bob RichardsBob Richards Posts: 2Member
    edited 2 August 2017, 8:58AM

Bob  

Hi Sara
    First off sorry my error the machine is a T1010
    1) Not sure what you mean by this as the TV is separate device. The Humax normally fails to come out of standby (no response to power button) but recently It has locked up when attempting to delete a recorded program. This may not be related to the main problem though.
    2) No response ie Stays at last state
    3) SMART
    4) Off 12:30am On 6pm
    5) Unknown
    6) I think any but mostly BBC1 or 4
    7) Plusnet, no current paid for services but did have Amazon prime for a while
    8) No
    9) Probably

Yesterday I applied maintenance mode 4 (software reinstall) and so far it is working ok. The unit has been failing every 2 to 3 days so time will tell.

I will see if I can gather some more accurate data if it fails again

Regards
    Bob
    edited 2 August 2017, 9:27AM

Bob  

Thanks for doing this Bob! I've just sent you an email over regarding this so it'd be great if you could check this out when you have a moment :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Michael OwenMichael Owen Posts: 3Member
    edited 3 August 2017, 8:37PM
    Same problem for us.
    IE. Since the update, our T1010 will fail to power on at random.
    It's been rock solid prior to this for around 3 years or so.

It will usually go for a couple of days fine. Then you'll come to switch it on in the evening to watch something and it wont power on. The only way to get the box to power up, is a software reset (IE. press the power button for several seconds). It then will work just fine for a day or two. Very annoying.

I'll try a MM4 as suggested above when I have a moment to spare.
    edited 4 August 2017, 8:27AM
    Just to update my previous post: I tried a maintenance mode 4 reset four weeks ago, and everything has been fine since! I left pretty much everything at default settings and haven't tried re-linking the mobile app (yet!) -- but so far, so good. :)
  • Michael OwenMichael Owen Posts: 3Member
    edited 3 September 2017, 8:04PM
    Did an MM4 late last night. So we'll see how it goes.

If it still does it, might think about getting a new box. As it's pretty useless if it keeps doing this and potentially missing recordings!

Can anyone tell me if the T2000 (think that's the latest one) has a front panel display like the 1010?