Youview couldn't connect to your router

AngeloAngelo Member Posts: 15
edited 9 July 2017, 11:57PM in Support
Hi
Apologies if I've missed the answer to this, I have found similar issues but have not been able to resolve my problem.
I have a Humax DTRT1000 which has been connecting to the internet via Cat5 cabling to a switch connecting my home network including router. My broadband provider is Talk Talk but the Humax box was bought and installed by me many months ago. Everything has been working OK until a few weeks ago when I could not access any of the players, I have been busy with work so have only just got round to having a closer look at the problem.
It looked like no internet connection from the Humax box so I checked settings which showed as being connected with a relevant ip address etc. I tried to do an automatic connect and instantly got the "Sorry, Youview couldn't connect to your router" message. Logging in to my router I can see that the Humax is connected to my network. I then tried assigning a static ip address to the Humax box on the router and did a soft reset of the Humax box. When the box powered up the new static ip address details were populating the ip fields in network settings, so the box had connected to the router and the router had assigned it the correct IP address, but still no internet related functions will work and if I try to do an automatic network connection I continue to get the "Sorry Youview.........." message. Humax box is connected to my network and can be pinged. I can connect a laptop to the Humax cat5 cable and connect to the internet.
Apologies for the long ramble but I wanted to give as much information as possible.
I would be very grateful for any help.
Sorry, forgot to add:
Manufacturer Software 26.40.0
Component Software 3.0.47
Platform Configuration 3034
ISP Configuration 2001011

Many thanks in anticipation

Comments

• SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,595 admin
    edited 29 June 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi Angelo,

Thanks for the detailed post. Can you please go through this article and confirm if you've tried everything on the list of suggestions?

If none of that helps, can you please try a Maintenance Mode 4 which keeps your recordings and let me know if that changes anything?

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • AngeloAngelo Member Posts: 15
    edited 29 June 2017, 5:07PM
    Thanks Sarah
    I can confirm all on the list checked, will try maintenance mode 4 when I'm home and let you know.

Angelo
    edited 30 June 2017, 7:26PM
    Hi
    I must be doing something wrong as I can't get in to maintenance mode :(
    I've turned off the box and powered down with mains switch on back, power back on and press the front power button then immediately hold LH of center round button (Vol -). Tried this several times to no avail. Then tried (Vol +) and (Vol - & Vol +) together, still won't work.
    I can find specific information on T2000 maintenance mode but not T1000.
    I would be very grateful for someone pointing out my silly error or a link to the relevant instructions.
    Thanks Again
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 315
    edited 3 July 2017, 9:05AM
    Angelo said:

Hi
    I've turned off the box and powered down with mains switch on back, power back on and press the front power button then immediately hold LH of center round button (Vol -). Tried this several times to no avail. Then tried (Vol +) and (Vol - & Vol +) together, still won't work.
    I would be very grateful for someone pointing out my silly error or a link to the relevant instructions.
    Thanks Again

Open this link

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode

then page down slightly and click on "Humax DTR-T1000".
    edited 30 June 2017, 7:26PM
    Angelo said:

Hi
    Thanks Again

Thanks Yasha
    edited 1 July 2017, 2:13PM
    Ok, so this is what was happening.

The good news:
    After turning the mains back on, pressing the front power button then holding down left hand side of circular switch (Vol -), the TV picture appears to lose sync, splits in half diagonally with everything distorted.
    What I hadn't originally noticed is that there were some squiggles diagonally across the bottom RH corner of the TV screen which I could just make out "Maintenance". So it looks like I was entering the Maintenance Mode menu but was not spotting the text due to the distortion. Pressing the front power button put the box in to maintenance mode and sorted out the screen sync issue?????

The not so good:
    I performed Factory Reset "Keep Recordings"
    As I went through the setup process all was OK until connecting to the internet when the screen showed:
    Connected to Router - Yes
    Connected to internet - No
    Now setup is completed and I'm back to where I started. Appears that the Box is connected to my network OK but not getting access to the internet and I can't see anything on the router that should be stopping this.
    Can it be something that TalkTalk have done? If so, why??
    Everything was working OK. It is my Humax box purchased from Argos about 2 and a half years ago and it was replaced under warranty by Humax after about 9 months. Not that that should make any difference.
    As always, help and advice kindly accepted.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2017, 10:15PM
    Angelo said:

The good news:
    After turning the mains back on, pressing the front power button then holding down left hand side of circular switch (Vol -), the TV picture appears to lose sync, splits in half diagonally with everything distorted.
    What I hadn't originally noticed is that there were some squiggles diagonally across the bottom RH corner of the TV screen which I could just make out "Maintenance". So it looks like I was entering the Maintenance Mode menu but was not spotting the text due to the distortion. Pressing the front power button put the box in to maintenance mode and sorted out the screen sync issue?????

The not so good:
    As I went through the setup process all was OK until connecting to the internet when the screen showed:
    Now setup is completed and I'm back to where I started. Appears that the Box is connected to my network OK but not getting access to the internet and I can't see anything on the router that should be stopping this.
    Everything was working OK. It is my Humax box purchased from Argos about 2 and a half years ago and it was replaced under warranty by Humax after about 9 months. Not that that should make any difference.

Reboot the router, and then any PLAs in the Ethernet link, all in turn from the router outwards.

Finally, soft reset the YouView box again by touching the centre ring for just over 8 seconds until it does this.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • DM1DM1 Member Posts: 8
    edited 1 July 2017, 9:14AM
    Angelo said:

The good news:

The not so good:

I have the same problem, no Connected to internet.

when i use the youview app It will find the box and box will ask to be connected tablet, then error message, need to be connected to the internet.

ISP: plusnet
    edited 1 July 2017, 10:19AM
    Angelo said:

The good news:

The not so good:

Thanks Roy

Just tried that and no change.
    edited 1 July 2017, 10:53AM
    Angelo said:

The good news:

The not so good:

Just thought I'd try Talktalk, been waiting for online chat for 22 mins :(
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2017, 11:56AM
    Angelo said:

The good news:

The not so good:

OK, hang on in there, as I am now officially out of ideas :-(

Except that regarding that distorted screen you mention above, that shouldn't happen, so I think your box may have a hardware fault or two.

What is the TV make and model though, and how is it connected to the box, as it could just be that.....
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 1 July 2017, 2:13PM
    Angelo said:

The good news:

The not so good:

Humax box connected to TV via HDMI. TV is a not very high spec Bush. I would tend to think that the screen distortion thing could just be TV related (perhaps Humax adopts some default settings when displaying initial maintenance mode menu and Tv can't cope??). The Box and TV have been working together happily for the past 2 and a half years.

Just spent over an hour with TalkTalk. First told everything to a support person (via online chat), including the fact that it is my box worked for over 2 years and everything I had tried. I was then passed to technical support and had to go through it all again. They made me check all the things I had already checked and physically look at the messages on the tv screen and repeat the information I had already typed to them. That got nowhere (surprise surprise).
    So they arranged a "call back" in 1 to 2 hours (time then 12:15). Instantly got text saying sorry for delay they're having loads of problems at the moment. 10 minutes later got telephone call said apologies for delay that my call had been logged at 8:00 and they shoul have contacted me by 10:00...................??????

This tenical support person went through all the same things and found nothing. I kept trying to tell them that the box was not supplied by them and just wanted them to tell me if it could be some configuration on their service that was causing the Humax connection to fail. But they didn't appear able to answer and didn't like deviating from their script. Last question they asked was why wasn't I using their Humax box, answer, I've never had one, didn't get one when I took the service many years ago from Homecall which was taken over by TalkTalk. They've escalated to next line support, to contact me within 72 hours.

Sorry for all this babble, it's just that several years ago I used to run tech support at local NHS Trust and find this kind of service hysterical, but that's just me.

I've also logged in to my TalkTalk account to see if anything silly like TV service Disabled is apparent, but no such luck.

By the way, a colleague of mine has a business account broadband service with TalkTalk. I've contacted them on his behalf on a couple of occasions, totally different kettle of fish, very knowledgeable and efficient!!

Meanwhile, further suggestions welcomed.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2017, 3:55PM
    Have you tried connecting the box directly to the router?
    edited 1 July 2017, 6:00PM
    Redchiz, yes I have, didn't fix problem.

Thanks for your comment.
    edited 1 July 2017, 6:35PM
    OK, just wondered if the switch was causing an issue, at least we have ruled that out!
    edited 2 July 2017, 3:57PM
    Any more ideas anyone ???????
    edited 2 July 2017, 5:19PM
    You could take your box to a friend/neighbour and connect it up there to determine if it is the box itself or something else?
    edited 2 July 2017, 4:18PM
    redchiz said:

You could take your box to a friend/neighbour and connect it up there to determine if it is the box itself or something else?

Reasonable idea. I think I'll wait until TalkTalk get back to me, just in case it is something to do with them.
    Thanks
    edited 2 July 2017, 4:35PM
    redchiz said:

Um, like what? Is all else is good with your broadband service, you haven't indicated otherwise?
    edited 2 July 2017, 5:19PM
    redchiz said:

Don't know, I did try asking them if it could be something with their service configuration or not that was causing a problem, but they didn't appear to be able to answer, instead after a lot of faffing about they have escalated to next level support?? If they could have answered
    "No, definitely can't be anything to do with us"
    Then no need to have escalated?
    But of course it could just be that that technical person just didn't know so passed it on ???
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,595 admin
    edited 3 July 2017, 12:57PM
    Hi Angelo,

It'd be helpful to know if it works at a friend/neighbours place if this is a possibility for you as it will help with a bit of troubleshooting. 

Otherwise it sounds a bit like there's a hardware issue at fault with the box itself as the internet is not working and there seems to be some significant screen distortion going on which would mean that you'd need to reach out to Humax and they can take it from there. You can find their contact details here

Sarah  
    edited 3 July 2017, 2:38PM
    Sarah2 said:

Hi Angelo,

It'd be helpful to know if it works at a friend/neighbours place if this is a possibility for you as it will help with a bit of troubleshooting. 

Otherwise it sounds a bit like there's a hardware issue at fault with the box itself as the internet is not working and there seems to be some significant screen distortion going on which would mean that you'd need to reach out to Humax and they can take it from there. You can find their contact details here

Sarah  

Thanks Sarah
    I'll see if I can get it to a friends house, but that wont be until next week.
    I'll update on what I find.
    edited 6 July 2017, 10:44AM
    Hi There I may be getting somewhere.
    I took the box to a friends house yesterday and had the exact same results as at home. So looks like an issue with the box.
    So, big question is what to do next?
    Pure coincidence just received an offer of 15% off FVP 4000T from Humax so looked at reviews on their web page, oh dear not very inspiring................ So,
    Do I try for a repair by Humax?
    Do I go for a new box, if so do I stick with Humax or try something else????
    edited 6 July 2017, 10:55AM
    Humax have just confirmed that they think it's a hardware problem.

Offered me an exchange unit £100 with 6 month guarantee but suggested best option to buy new box £150 with 12 month guarantee.
    What to do........... :(
  • For those of you that might still get this issue hope this helps someone.

I had exactly the same issue with a BT Branded DTR-T1000 box. Basically internet was working fine but the YouView box steadfastly refused to connect.

After running it through Wireshark it became apparent what the issue was.

It appears that certain versions of the software running on this box have been hard coded by some BT numpty to use 192.168.1.254.

It doesn’t seem to matter what you set the DNS servers to manually in the settings part of the box or what DNS servers you actually have on your network – it’s trying to resolve all internet DNS names using that 192.168.1.254 address.

I assume the above address is the default one for a BT home hub?

Anyway – to get round this you need to reconfigure your home router to use 192.168.1.254 as its address (most use 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). Then reboot everything and try again. This time your router should hand out 192.168.1.254 as both the gateway and the DNS server and voila the box may start working again.

Hope this helps someone.

Argggggh!

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭
    @Regnodulous that's a very impressive post!
    Welcome to the forum! 
    It will be very interesting to see if this works for anyone else. 
    Also confirmation of your theory about the address of a BT home hub would be useful.
     :) 
  • NiggleNiggle Member Posts: 78
    I used to have a BT Homehub5 (which I've since replaced with Google Mesh Wifi).

Anyway, yes, the default IP address was 192.168.1.254 (although could be changed, I think)
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭
    Niggle said:
    I used to have a BT Homehub5
    Anyway, yes, the default IP address was 192.168.1.254 (although could be changed, I think)