Android app can't connect to box

jbtiborjbtibor Posts: 14Member
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Support
I got a new Android phone, installed YouView app and tried to connect to the box. Automatic discovery didn't work so I opened settings to get a code but there's no option to get a code. I am connected to same router like the box, I didn't reach device limit - I have three phones connected. The box is connected to internet it can play on demand. I restarted the box by unplugging it, didn't help. Where the create code button?

Comments

• StephenStephen Posts: 651Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 July 2017, 9:27PM
    There is no longer the option to create a pairing code with the new software unfortunately.
    Do you only have one router that your phone is wifi-connected to and the box cable-connected to? Is it from your ISP or one you bought yourself? Could you try turning that off and then back on again?
  • jbtiborjbtibor Posts: 14Member
    edited 4 July 2017, 9:29PM
    It is a TalkTalk router, about 2 year old. Everything was restarted a few times.
    edited 5 July 2017, 10:45AM
    Could you install a zeroconf network browser on your phone - this one is ugly but works https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.melloware.zeroconf and see if it lists anything on the main screen under a "_yv-bridge" heading. Don't paste a screenshot here as the UID is semi-secret but you should be able to see your YouView box along with its manufacturer and model number. And maybe laptops and other devices on your home network under other categories. If it's completely blank, that would be suspicious
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,852Member ✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Which version of the app have you used TalkTalks or the regular youview one?
  • Stuart SmithStuart Smith Posts: 18Member
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    It's called: Progress. The pairing code method took all of 2 seconds and worked every time. Cynics might say that it was taken away to force users onto the latest version of the app. I have asked YouView to restore it but not expecting a positive outcome... :-/
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,049Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 July 2017, 10:45AM
    Stephen10 said:

Could you install a zeroconf network browser on your phone - this one is ugly but works https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.melloware.zeroconf and see if it lists anything on the main screen under a "_yv-bridge" heading. Don't paste a screenshot here as the UID is semi-secret but you should be able to see your YouView box along with its manufacturer and model number. And maybe laptops and other devices on your home network under other categories. If it's completely blank, that would be suspicious

I have Fing, which is pretty, on this iPad, and it reports the Bonjour service yv-bridge (tcp) as part of what it returns, on this working-OK T2000 YouView box.

And it also reports the box as having two IP addresses. What's that all about?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,852Member ✭✭
    edited 5 July 2017, 2:34PM

It's called: Progress. The pairing code method took all of 2 seconds and worked every time. Cynics might say that it was taken away to force users onto the latest version of the app. I have asked YouView to restore it but not expecting a positive outcome... :-/

It's not necessary the automatic paring works well in my experience issues with pairing are normally easy enough to resolve. I'm more than happy to hear your thoughts and take on this though as you are certainly entitled to your oppion. Can you give some examples with when and how you have had issues with automatic pairing please.
    edited 5 July 2017, 2:59PM

I use the old (apparently no longer supported) app on my iphone. AFter the NextGen installed on the box, the old app remained paired and everything worked fine. Unfortunately, another issue led me to Factory Reset the box and, I'm afraid, that killed the app because it requires a pairing code. The feature was retired without any prior notice so the app is now no more than an EPG. As I said... Progress.
    edited 10 July 2017, 3:56PM
    I'm using the Android app from Play Store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.youview

Using TalkTalk router.

I can see the YouView box in Zeroconf.

Please bring back the pairing code to YouView box.
    edited 9 July 2017, 10:21PM

@Daniel the pairing issues WERE easy to resolve with the pairing code. Without it you can only rely on woodoo. It's a shame that this is the only option YouView users have in 2017. Going backwards. It's also a shame that is not possible to manage scheduled recordings or watch recordings on a mobile phone or any browser in fact. Wake up guys, internet has been invented for long, start using it!
    edited 10 July 2017, 12:25PM
    jbtibor said:

Using TalkTalk router.

Could you tell us the model number of your TalkTalk router and your phone model and Android OS version, and we'll try to replicate the problem here?
    edited 10 July 2017, 12:30PM

Ironically, we're moving away from pairing codes in order to support more advanced use cases - the infrastructure that requires & provides a pairing code is a bit of a dead-end that we want to move away from
    edited 10 July 2017, 1:22PM
    jbtibor said:

Using TalkTalk router.

Huawei HG633
    Hardware version H.1.01

The phone is OnePlus 5

I have the YouView box from BT but I switched to TalkTalk boadband.
    edited 10 July 2017, 1:37PM

Disagree. It was working fine, then you broke it...
    edited 10 July 2017, 2:07PM
    jbtibor said:

Using TalkTalk router.

Android OS version?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 10 July 2017, 2:20PM
    jbtibor said:

Using TalkTalk router.

Apparently it shipped with their OS based on Android 7.1.1, so sufficiently recent and no major updates available yet. We'll have a look.
    edited 10 July 2017, 3:56PM
    jbtibor said:

Using TalkTalk router.

Android 7.1.1
    OxygenOS 4.5.5
    YouView app 10.1.12
  • daedaldaedal Posts: 5Member
    edited 18 July 2017, 5:13PM
    I'm having exactly the same problem, worked fine when I could use a pairing code, but now, I have a useless app that used to work well.
    edited 11 August 2017, 12:07PM
    With regard to the obvious statement: "There is no longer the option to create a pairing code with the new software unfortunately", please heed the views of your users and reinstate the option ASAP. Thanks.
    edited 11 July 2017, 11:10AM
    daedal said:

I'm having exactly the same problem, worked fine when I could use a pairing code, but now, I have a useless app that used to work well.

Hi - could you answer the same questions as above? Namely:
    1 Do you only have one router and your phone connected to its wifi?
    2 Is the router supplied by your ISP and what is its model?
    3 What model is your phone? What Android/iOS version is it running?
    4 If you download a network browser (Zeroconf browser for Android or Fing for iOS) can you see your YouView box (do not paste any box IDs here, they are semi-private) advertising itself as _yv-bridge?
    edited 11 July 2017, 5:02PM
    daedal said:

It worked absolutely fine until I updated the box software and the app.

I have no phone line, its a Virgin Superhub and like I said worked fine before it was updated.
    My phone is running Android 7.0
    Yes my YouView box is showing in zeroconf
    edited 18 July 2017, 5:13PM
    daedal said:

I was just coming back to check on this post, and decided to try and connect, and it connected fine just now.
    edited 18 July 2017, 11:01PM
    Please allow rolling back to previous version what worked. I had no issues with previous version, don't force me to use this is a pointless update what brought me nothing but problems.
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Posts: 296Member
    edited 7 August 2017, 12:17AM
    I am another unhappy Yoiview user after the latest software update. Having been forced to factory reset my tablet & then download the Youview app. I too have found there is no way to pair the box & tablet on the next gen software when the app asks us to do this task.
    The app & Youview box were working perfectly well together before & if you look on the feedback on the Google App store many others have found out thec same thing; the app won't connect to the box, making the app redundant.
    Come on Youview please start to address customer concerns with the respect they are due.
    edited 19 July 2017, 8:12AM

I am another unhappy Yoiview user after the latest software update. Having been forced to factory reset my tablet & then download the Youview app. I too have found there is no way to pair the box & tablet on the next gen software when the app asks us to do this task.
    The app & Youview box were working perfectly well together before & if you look on the feedback on the Google App store many others have found out thec same thing; the app won't connect to the box, making the app redundant.
    Come on Youview please start to address customer concerns with the respect they are due.

Bit selective not to mention what tablet, or what version of iOS Apple have declined to let you update from?
    edited 19 July 2017, 8:24AM

Lloyd, if you've got five minutes, could you also answer the questions (1-4) that I posted above? Although, also, are you getting the most recent version of the app - can you say what version of that you're getting too?
    edited 7 August 2017, 12:17AM

Finally, we're getting somewhere!

1) Yes

2) No, I've got a Archer D9, the Talk Talk supplied one was very poor, that I've had for about 2 years. Well recommended purchase I'd say. If swapping this back for the TT one, just to connect the app & box, I can do that.

3) Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.2, running Android software 4.2.2

4) Done that and it sees nothing on the network, no Youview, no Freesat box, and none of the other connected devices on my network.

Everything worked perfectly until I had to factory reset my tablet (it was going through an infinite start up loop) back in May / June.

My phone is still connected because I've not been forced to mess around with it since the Youview software update.

I'm at work now so can't do much more than post this.

edited 19 July 2017, 10:35AM

1) Yes

2) No, I've got a Archer D9, the Talk Talk supplied one was very poor, that I've had for about 2 years. Well recommended purchase I'd say. If swapping this back for the TT one, just to connect the app & box, I can do that.

4) Done that and it sees nothing on the network, no Youview, no Freesat box, and none of the other connected devices on my network.

Everything worked perfectly until I had to factory reset my tablet (it was going through an infinite start up loop) back in May / June.

My phone is still connected because I've not been forced to mess around with it since the Youview software update.

Ok, number 4 is highly suspicious that there's nothing there, maybe try rebooting the router? Or have you set it up explicitly to block network discovery / multicast packets?

Have you got other devices that might need to do local network discovery too but don't work, e.g. anything doing video casting?
    edited 25 July 2017, 11:43PM

1) Yes

No.
    Same tablet connects fine to my freesat box, allowing casting via Youtube to freesat box.
    Downloaded two different network apps & each could find everything on my network.
    Router also sees everything on the network.
    Other than asking the above 4 questions, do you actually have a bone fide solution to the non connectivity of the next gen software to the youview app.
    edited 26 July 2017, 12:18AM

1) Yes

I'd like to get enough information to find out what's going wrong and replicate it, then fix it in an update to the Android app (and maybe iOS too if that also shows a problem).

Also can you clarify, your two network apps find everything on the network, but the zeroconf app on the same device still finds nothing? Do the other apps give the YouView box any _yv-bridge label or just an IP address? What are these two other apps, so we can see what the difference is?