Get satisfaction implements pinned topics

DanielDaniel Posts: 1,707Member ✭✭
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Feedback
Get satisfaction has implemented pinned topics for there customers but only on certain plans. Obviously I assume there is different pricing for the get satisfaction forum software depending on what you require.

Sarah please hassle the powers that be to get this on the youview community ASAP as it's now a option and a very useful option as it is.

https://getsatisfaction.com/getsatisf...

Comments

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 614Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Lithium it is not, although we should all be grateful for small improvements!

https://www.lithium.com/customer-success/?filter=communications

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,707Member ✭✭
    edited 5 July 2017, 9:43PM
    Anaglypta said:

Lithium it is not, although we should all be grateful for small improvements!

https://www.lithium.com/customer-success/?filter=communications

John.

Definitely but as it's a optional upgrade we have to live in hope that youview actually implement it.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 460Administrator admin
    I read the email from them this morning to announce it and it's definitely something we want to be implementing asap and it's been much needed for a very long time.

I've requested this gets added to our community however as they're US based it might not happen until later on today. 

Sarah
    edited 6 July 2017, 9:02AM
    Sarah2 said:

I read the email from them this morning to announce it and it's definitely something we want to be implementing asap and it's been much needed for a very long time.

I've requested this gets added to our community however as they're US based it might not happen until later on today. 

Sarah

Hope it's inclusive of the current youview price plan otherwise you may have to go cap in hand to the ceo.
    Sarah I'm glad to see you now have pinned topics enabled for the youview community.

Can I suggest a pinned topic with the instructions on how to do a maintenance mode reset and soft reset. These are some of the things that regular members come across and its would be great if we had a forum link to refer to incase they missed the pinned topic or are not sure if it appears to be what to do in there situation.

I'm happy to create the thread myself with all the relevant information in if you don't have time to complete this yourself. Just let me know please.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,318Member ✭✭✭
    Hmm, the problem then becomes that a plethora of pinned topics reduces the impact of the feature. I don't think duplicating content from the help pages is useful myself.
    edited 7 July 2017, 1:05PM
    redchiz said:

Hmm, the problem then becomes that a plethora of pinned topics reduces the impact of the feature. I don't think duplicating content from the help pages is useful myself.

The one topic I'm proposing would have every single box in existence and I can see a use for this. In the past some have bypassed the help pages completely and come straight here.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 460Administrator admin
    edited 7 July 2017, 9:00PM
    Daniel4 said:

Sarah I'm glad to see you now have pinned topics enabled for the youview community.

Can I suggest a pinned topic with the instructions on how to do a maintenance mode reset and soft reset. These are some of the things that regular members come across and its would be great if we had a forum link to refer to incase they missed the pinned topic or are not sure if it appears to be what to do in there situation.

I'm happy to create the thread myself with all the relevant information in if you don't have time to complete this yourself. Just let me know please.

No problem, as soon as GetSat announced that they were planning to (finally!) implement sticky posts we were ready to jump on it so I wanted to try and get it added to the community asap! 

Keith wrote a guide in Top Tips a while ago on the different maintenance modes, from giving it a quick read, it still all sounds fine and relevant. I've stickied it in Top Tips and also the Community Home whilst I monitor our analytics to see if stickying the post brings it more views as this will give us a guide as to if the sticky feature is working well. 

From past experience, you generally don't want to have more then 3 or 4 stickies as they start to lose their impact. For now I'll keep it at 4 so that we have 3 recent update threads plus Keith's thread on resets and I'll monitor the view counts for those and compare them to previous weeks to see if being stickied affects this :) 
    edited 7 July 2017, 2:32PM
    Daniel4 said:

I certainly think it's worth a try obviously if traffic is not affected it can be reviewed by yourself at a later date.

Thanks Sarah
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,101Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 July 2017, 10:50AM
    redchiz said:

redchiz, you only have to look at how often we have to inform people of the very existence of soft reset and the Maintenance Modes to see how valuable this is going to be.

The trouble is that people who would benefit from one of these resets are very unlikely to look up a topic whose existence they don't even know about - they are going to look up their specific problem (if they even consult the Help pages before asking here!) - and it will be a crapshoot if it is even listed, let alone if it suggests the Reset they need.

Even if they bypass all of this, and still tip up here with a problem we know a reset may well help them with, how much easier it is going to be just to direct them to the post in the stickies, instead of having to look up the URL, post a chunk of boilerplate, or even type out the explanation, and the instructions, for the hundredth time.

I for one can't wait to save my poor old fingers, and see the slimmed-down and more focussed forum that is going to result.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    edited 10 July 2017, 10:06AM
    redchiz said:

I stand by my point about stickies becoming less useful if they proliferate. My further point was more of an aside. Happily Sarah agrees with me, as she did with Daniel's suggestion for a sticky on reset/maintenance procedure. So, everybody happy?
    edited 10 July 2017, 10:08AM
    redchiz said:

I agree with that point, and seeing that it was taken care of, did not comment on it.

It was your second sentence, mere aside or not, that I did not agree with; and mindful of YouView's exhortation not to just say 'I disagree', I set out my reasons why.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    redchiz said:

You mean apart from the puerile twisting of my username and the direction in which you travelled thereafter? That had been taken care of also, hence my slight arched brow at your rather pointed and nagging tone. I do hope that the sticky helps, but I suspect we will still end up wasting finger time pointing to that, rather than the help pages. Other than that, did get out the wrong side today? Never mind, it's nearly bedtime again, especially if you're in Spain. :)
    redchiz said:

Come on guys all the regulars here are decent and this is the best forum I ever have posted on.

I don't think Roy meant anything by it I think it was more tounge in cheak or a joke.

Everyone is entitled to there opinions at the end of the day and I think everyone involved in this thread has expressed there concerns and reasons very well.

Obviously both of you are very respected members of this forum and try to not let it get out of hand please.
    redchiz said:

Excuse me? I don't remember you being appointed a moderator Daniel, so please don't.
    redchiz said:

Now you have my back up point is there is hardly any moderators and a thread I started personally should not have bickering in it. If you want to bicker start your own thread.
    edited 10 July 2017, 10:07AM
    redchiz said:

I think Roy and I can manage without your help, thank you.
    redchiz said:

You have crossed the line this is not a thread you created and I can post what I want in my own thread don't like simple leave the thread I don't need people trolling my posts as you have done here and in the other thread.
    redchiz said:

Oh dear.
    redchiz said:

Look I think you crossed the line especially in a thread I made and I'm getting emails about every single post. I don't need it I'm already stressed out today as it is. Maybe trolling is two harsh a word but if I see a dispute brewing in a thread I created I'm certainly going to post. If you don't like it you don't have to post in my threads because your contributions just as everyone else's are is voluntary. I'm not going to lie to you I have emailed Sarah and asked her to review all the posts made by myself and you in this thread obviously if one is at fault or both of us for that matter I'm sure she will tell us. I don't really like posting about emailing the community manager but I feel it's necessary in this case and I did ask her to review my posts as well as yours. I think it's better to get a new pair of eyes on things because I am really annoyed and it don't do anyone any good to keep replying and mud slinging so I would hope you will leave it at that because I'm not going to respond personally any more till Sarah's return.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,355Member
    redchiz said:

Lets leave it there please. And thats a request not an order, I'm no moderator, thank god. We all ultimately want the best for YouView.
    redchiz said:

Lordy.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 614Member ✭✭✭
    Now I remember why I don't post here very often these days. Get a grip people!

John
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 8 July 2017, 9:54PM
    Daniel4 said:

Sarah, you might just want to ask Keith to revisit his posting on resets, to reflect the changes to the standby modes that have been made since it was written.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,355Member
    edited 8 July 2017, 10:31PM
    Anaglypta said:

Now I remember why I don't post here very often these days. Get a grip people!

John

I miss your posts.
    Pinned Conversations, certainly on this iPad, now take up the whole of the display when I open the Home Page.

I fear that newcomers may not even realise there are anything but the pinned ones present.

Can I suggest that the four YouView pinned conversations be replaced by one indexing Conversation, that leads to the four, instead?
    edited 12 July 2017, 10:20AM
    Roy1 said:

Pinned Conversations, certainly on this iPad, now take up the whole of the display when I open the Home Page.

I fear that newcomers may not even realise there are anything but the pinned ones present.

Can I suggest that the four YouView pinned conversations be replaced by one indexing Conversation, that leads to the four, instead?

In all honesty I'm finding the same thing on my mobile phone and have to scroll down if I want to get to unpinned topics. I'm quite curious to know if the traffic to the forum has changed since pinned topics have been enabled.

Obviously where I don't mind the scrolling others may and if it does effect forum traffic then certainly there may be something to what you are saying here.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,330Member, Champion mod
    It is a shame, particularly having waited many years for GetSat to implement pinned conversations, that the pinned conversations are not listed in a more compact way as one might reasonably wish to pin several topics at some times.

We used to have a topic linked from the welcome message at the top left that listed some useful topics to start with. That is quite close to Roy's comment about curating a single pinned topic as an index to other key topics of the moment. One might equally wish GetSat to further improve the pinned conversation area to offer an option to display it in a more compact way (as I have suggested over on their forum).
    edited 13 July 2017, 6:51PM
    Keith1 said:

It is a shame, particularly having waited many years for GetSat to implement pinned conversations, that the pinned conversations are not listed in a more compact way as one might reasonably wish to pin several topics at some times.

We used to have a topic linked from the welcome message at the top left that listed some useful topics to start with. That is quite close to Roy's comment about curating a single pinned topic as an index to other key topics of the moment. One might equally wish GetSat to further improve the pinned conversation area to offer an option to display it in a more compact way (as I have suggested over on their forum).

Unfortunately Keith I'm not sure if anyone agrees with us. It's still only me and yourself that has posted on the thread in the get sat community.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,330Member, Champion mod
    edited 13 July 2017, 7:30PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Daniel - although you are the only person to post further comment on that topic, 3 people have liked it which indicates they agree with the idea (Roy, smayer97, Anna Svensson). In the past such action by others tends to indicate they support the idea and the original summary says it all so there is no need for them to post further. The next step might be for you to like that topic too and hence raise the vote for the idea by +1 ;)