How do I get youview on my Sony Bravia KDL32WD752?

Steven DawsonSteven Dawson Posts: 10Member
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Support
I have a brand new Sony KDL32WD752 which is supposed to be smart TV. Apart from Netflix I don't seem to be able to access youview. Why is this? I have to use my Amazon stick which I did on my old Bravia which is 10 years old. Also there is no EPG guide. i have tried asking these questions of Sony with no result.

Comments

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,707Member ✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    That model of TV is not a Sony TV with youview built-in. Only some Sony tvs have youview not every single one. It is a android TV though and you should be able to use apps though this but it's certainly not a youview enabled TV.
  • Steven DawsonSteven Dawson Posts: 10Member
    edited 5 July 2017, 9:23PM
    Daniel4 said:

That model of TV is not a Sony TV with youview built-in. Only some Sony tvs have youview not every single one. It is a android TV though and you should be able to use apps though this but it's certainly not a youview enabled TV.

Thanks for that. Good job it was cheap! I am also supposed to be able to record off it but as I can't get the EPG to work I don't know how this is possible.
    edited 5 July 2017, 9:31PM
    I am supposed to be able to access youtube according to the spec. How do I do that. I have to use my Firestick as I did with my old Bravia. Also the EPG won't work and no matter how many questions I ask of Sony it just keeps sending me round in circles.
    edited 5 July 2017, 9:41PM
    Daniel4 said:

This model does not record either I have not seen a tv with this feature for a while to be honest most people looking to record would buy a set top box. This feature when it was included in some models of TV actually required a external hard drive to be connected in order for the recordings to be stored on.

In regards to the Internet content how is the internet connected to the tv and I assume you have connected a antenna to the tv in order to use the inbuilt Freeview?

In all honesty I am surprised you are not wanting to return the tv to point of purchase because it's obviously not what you where expecting when you purchased it. Did the sales guy tell you it had youview when it does not?
    edited 5 July 2017, 9:52PM
    According to Sony Spec this TV should be able to record via a separate hard drive. You can check out the spec here https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/wd750-series/specifications
    The guy I bought it from never claimed it had youview, I just assumed it would have these features. O might as well have bought an HD non smart TV. The KDL32 only cost me £179 as it was a return. It is in perfect condition and still had the protective stickers on it. All in all I am happy with it except for the EPG issue.
    edited 5 July 2017, 10:00PM

The guy I bought it from never claimed it had youview, I just assumed it would have these features. O might as well have bought an HD non smart TV. The KDL32 only cost me £179 as it was a return. It is in perfect condition and still had the protective stickers on it. All in all I am happy with it except for the EPG issue.

I just had a look and I was looking at the newer model my eyesight isn't perfect. This tv is quite a old TV. I have not unfortunately seen a TV with USB recording in a while just because I have not seen them don't mean they don't do them per say but I'm actually looking for a new model of TV at present and none of the ones I looked at had USB recording on it. It's certainly not a youview enabled TV the model you have. I'm starting to think that the tv may not have been set up correctly can you go through what you have done in the way of setting it up. Do you have a external hard drive and what file system you have the hard drive formatted in.
    edited 5 July 2017, 10:07PM

This TV is a 2016 model according to the spec. There is lots of info in the manual about recording. I have not connected an external device so far. I do have a Sony HDD recorder which I was hoping to be able to discard but it looks like I may have to use it. I had a lot of trouble with it on my last TV as it made the picture pixilate. My main problem is no EPG. This is a big problem on all Sony smart TV.s apparently.
    edited 5 July 2017, 10:11PM

It will have a EPG because it has a Freeview tuner built in but in order to use it you need a antenna connected directly to the tv. Has this been done? That's the first step. You then need to tune the freeview in. The tv is old to me I should say as I replace our main set yearly to stay up to date with the latest technology and models.
    edited 5 July 2017, 10:13PM

Yes I have done this and tuned the freeview in digitaly. There is no analogue signal in my area. Just read that Sony TV's with a D prefix as in WD are 2016 models. 2017 models have an E prefix.
    edited 5 July 2017, 11:34PM

You should have a button on the remote labeled guide or EPG. Are any tv channels coming though? I have just looked on the Sony website it's definitely a 2016 model without youview but there is no reason you are not getting a EPG especially when Freeview is built in to the tv. Have you figured anything out about the apps yet?
    edited 5 July 2017, 11:37PM

In regards to apps as well it's a bog standard smart TV. Now I have the correct specs in front of me it tells me it's also not a android TV. You should be able to get apps though though the smart tvs app portal.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,355Member
    edited 6 July 2017, 1:08AM
    You need help from the Sony forum not here. Here you go -
    https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/tv-home-cinema/ct-p/tv_en
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,101Member ✭✭✭
    This is not an Android set:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/te...

All Andoid sets have YouView, but they only start at 43 In, and there are none down at 32 in.

It should be able to record to an external HDD, and it should have YouTube.

But if you can't get an EPG (and I would be interested in where you have discovered that this is a common problem with these sets) then as Visionman says, you have a Sony problem, not a YouView one, and the Sony forum is the place to get this sorted out.

Use this link, though:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other...

to be sure of posting in exactly the right place for this type of set, and tell them what happens when you press 'Guide' on the remote.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    edited 6 July 2017, 7:24AM
    Hi Roy,

I found out about the EPG on the Sony community. I think it must have been me being stupid as I have found how to work the apps now. It does have BBCiplayer, you tube, ITV hub and all the other catch-up services. I had an update overnight which I have now installed. Sorry if I was using the wrong forum.
    edited 6 July 2017, 7:35AM
    No problems, Steven

You started with a YouView question, so you were in the right place until we told you it wasn't a YouView set :-)

And we always like, even when we know the answer to a non-YouView question (which I certainly didn't in this case) to send you to the right place to get that answer.

So, glad you got the set working OK, and hope you are not too disappointed it does not have YouView (which would not have let you record anyway!)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    edited 6 July 2017, 7:38AM
    Thanks Roy, I will just use my Amazon firestick which does all I want as I did on my old set. Not a big fan of large TV's.
    edited 6 July 2017, 7:47AM
    Roy1 said:

All Andoid sets have YouView, but they only start at 43 In, and there are none down at 32 in.

But if you can't get an EPG (and I would be interested in where you have discovered that this is a common problem with these sets) then as Visionman says, you have a Sony problem, not a YouView one, and the Sony forum is the place to get this sorted out.

to be sure of posting in exactly the right place for this type of set, and tell them what happens when you press 'Guide' on the remote.

That's not the case Roy here is a example of a 32'' Sony TV with Android and no youview http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-h...
    edited 6 July 2017, 7:51AM

All sorted now thanks, the EPG has burst into life reluctantly (it doesn't show ITV schedules). I have found all the apps so much happier now. It has all I want from a TV and the picture is fantastic.
    edited 6 July 2017, 12:10PM
    I like the Firestick very much, and I don't think any Sony TV has the itv Hub and All4, except for the ones running YouView.

But how are going to get your fix of Game of Thrones? :-)
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 113Member
    edited 6 July 2017, 3:59PM
    It's a real pity that Sony have all but abandoned the smaller TV market.
    They should bring out maybe 1 model of the smaller TV range from 22" 26" with;.....
    4K from 32" would be amazing for bedroom TV's
    Android capability, (Google Play Store)
    FreeView Play HD, YouView HD & FreeSat Freetime HD.
    Their satellite offering is abysmal. Only used it once though.

Dreaming I know.
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 181Member
    I don't have a Sony TV I have Samsung but most smart TVs you can plug a USB pen drive in to one of the USB ports on the TV and record on to that using the EPG. I find it like others just having a PVR box like Youview and recording on to that. Seems much easy to watch your recordings.
    I think when it comes to having a Smart TV Samsung is one of the best makes to go for.

Darren
    edited 7 July 2017, 8:32AM
    Darren2 said:

I don't have a Sony TV I have Samsung but most smart TVs you can plug a USB pen drive in to one of the USB ports on the TV and record on to that using the EPG. I find it like others just having a PVR box like Youview and recording on to that. Seems much easy to watch your recordings.
    I think when it comes to having a Smart TV Samsung is one of the best makes to go for.

Darren

They don't all do this. It's a feature that is getting rare by the look of things
    edited 7 July 2017, 9:35AM
    Darren2 said:

Darren

Citation?
  • QuinnicusQuinnicus Posts: 48Member
    edited 16 July 2017, 12:15AM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Daniel - Sorry I am late to this thread. 

I have emailed Sony in regards to that Curry's link you have posted for Sony's Sales department to liase with Curry's.  This is incorrectly advertised as Android. 

For your information - There are no 2016 Android TVs that start with KDL.  Sony limited Android TV sets in 2016 to 4K TVs only, hence start with KD instead.

Cheers
    edited 15 July 2017, 8:58AM
    Darren2 said:

Darren

No citation :-(
    edited 16 July 2017, 12:15AM
    Roy1 said:

I also missed this posting, as is often the fate of Comments higher up a Conversation when subsequent material is posted, as happened here.

But yes, what Quinnicus said. And it can be unwise to accept retailer information at face value; you should always go the the horse's mouth, in this case the Sony UK spec for this TV.
    edited 16 July 2017, 6:34AM
    Roy1 said:

Of course. I have not noticed a error on currys website before I don't think which is why I had no reason to doubt it. I have had loads of errors from in store employees so it should not surprise me that the website has a error. I have recently been in a store with a employee trying to sell a youview box as having sky store and quest player on it. So yes certainly will be looking elsewhere in future for any factual content.