Sky sports changes

DanielDaniel Posts: 1,707Member ✭✭
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in News
Sky are making a lot of changes to sky sports as seen here http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a83...

I wonder how this will effect bt and TalkTalk. I'm beginning to think this is been done so they can give bt less sport.

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 1,619Member ✭✭
    edited 21 July 2017, 12:23AM
    More or less..depends what you want. No one seems to know yet but I would guess BT will get 401 and 402. Main events and Prem football. If you like casual sports you will get all the big events (not available to anyone else as a stand alone channel) but if you really like cricket I think you will lose a lot.
    edited 10 July 2017, 2:23PM

Just to muddy the waters this seems to suggest BT will get Main Event Channel and the Xtra channel when there is a clash of big events.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59479/kw/sky%20sports/c/348,7415,7444/session/L3RpbWU...

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,707Member ✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Isn't xtra a online exclusive channel?
    Daniel4 said:

and that link has now been removed. Something tells me they have no idea what's going on.
    Daniel4 said:

Sounds about right.
    edited 10 July 2017, 2:53PM
    Daniel4 said:

SKY have always played games with BT over its sports channels but BT really don't help themselves at times.

If SKY are not giving BT enough info BT should come out and say that, if BT do have the information (I assume they must as it is happening next week) then they should have a proper statement ready...I wish everybody would just learn to play nicely :-)

edited 10 July 2017, 3:18PM
    Daniel4 said:

Certainly I'm certain things would have played out differently if sky was allowed to retail bt sport but unfortunately this didn't happen.
    edited 10 July 2017, 3:36PM
    Daniel4 said:

But as a SKY customer I can get all BT Sport channels in HD, nothing even close from SKY as a BT Customer...
  • David8David8 Posts: 630Member ✭✭
    edited 10 July 2017, 3:46PM
    Daniel4 said:

The two will never play nicely , sad really as it's the consumer who suffers.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,318Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 July 2017, 3:54PM
    I wonder how this will affect TalkTalk as Daniel said. Will they also offer a mix and match of bundles rather than one humongous all-in Boost as they do now? That would certainly be good news for those who are only into certain sports, but have to pay for the rest anyway.

Generally speaking, it may also be a clever way to retain and even increase their core PL subscribers who have been deserting them in droves lately at a time when live rights have never been costlier.
    edited 21 July 2017, 12:12PM
    I wonder how this will affect TalkTalk as Daniel said. Will they also offer a mix and match of bundles rather than one humongous all-in Boost as they do now? That would certainly be good news for those who are only into certain sports, but currently have to pay for the rest anyway.

Generally speaking, it may also be a clever way to retain and even increase their core PL subscribers who have been deserting them in droves lately at a time when live rights have never been costlier.
    edited 10 July 2017, 3:58PM
    redchiz said:

I wonder how this will affect TalkTalk as Daniel said. Will they also offer a mix and match of bundles rather than one humongous all-in Boost as they do now? That would certainly be good news for those who are only into certain sports, but currently have to pay for the rest anyway.

Just noticed on Virgin Media's Community the same is being asked there redchiz.
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 113Member
    edited 18 July 2017, 5:07PM
    I'd imagine TalkTalk will get a sweet deal
    as they are not the aggressor here
    similar to Virgin.

BT has had this coming to them, go head to head with Sky!!!!!

Hopefully BT will come to regret its stance.
    edited 10 July 2017, 4:01PM
    redchiz said:

Hmm, interesting, we shall have to see. Hopefully things will become clearer before the start of the footy season which let's face it is the time most non-inertia customers will be making decisions about subscribing.
    edited 10 July 2017, 4:09PM
    Just gleaned a bit more info from the Sky site directly:

Main Event channel: is a bonus channel showing live content from the other Sky Sports channels at the same time as it is available on such channels. Only available with the Sky Sports Complete Pack.

http://www.skysports.com/relaunch
    edited 10 July 2017, 5:08PM
    DJHB1980 said:

similar to Virgin.

What a ridiculous comment. you would prefer SKY continue to scalp everybody as the one and only supplier...really.

SKY was the aggressor, trying to take all the Broadband customers, look at the detail behind everything and you will find BT only took this action to stop all the Broadband defections that SKY caused.

I don't agree with either of thier stances and wish they would agree but people with their rose tinted glasses for Sky make me laugh...

Look back before BT Sport and you will see SKY running every competitor into the ground, try looking up setanta and even Virgin back in the day and you will see.

edited 10 July 2017, 5:55PM
    DJHB1980 said:

similar to Virgin.

Come on Scott they are both as bad as each other , as I say it's the consumer who suffers.
    edited 10 July 2017, 8:23PM
    BT seem to be saying on Twitter that Sky Sports subscribers on BT TV will receive Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Extra plus both available in HD.
    edited 10 July 2017, 6:02PM
    David8 said:

BT seem to be saying on Twitter that Sky Sports subscribers on BT TV will receive Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Extra plus both available in HD.

"Seem to be saying" David lol? Links are good you know?  :)
    edited 10 July 2017, 6:09PM
    David8 said:

https://twitter.com/BTCare/status/884...

Here you go
    edited 10 July 2017, 6:09PM
    David8 said:

Nice one, it does suggest they have been informed then.

Now for TalkTalk ...
    edited 10 July 2017, 6:15PM
    David8 said:

Found this but nothing confirmed although I'd say it looks promising but what do I know lol
    https://twitter.com/TalkTalk/status/8...
    edited 10 July 2017, 6:15PM
    David8 said:

Excellent, the best informed punter on the YouView community, have another like. :)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,355Member
    edited 10 July 2017, 9:21PM
    The Ombudsman had previously removed WMO. And now there is a realignment of packages. More for Skys benefit than others. As their churn is the highest its ever been, so they needed to respond with something.
    David8 said:

Here's the Talk Talk EPG numbers courtesy of a516 digital
    http://www.a516digital.com/2017/07/ta...
    edited 11 July 2017, 8:17AM
    402 Sky Sports main event / Sky Sports 1
    403 Sky Sports premier leagueSky  /Sports 2
    404 Sky Sports football / Sky Sports 3

BT don't have access to Sky Sports 3, 4 or 5. Its 1 & 2 only.
    David8 said:

Thanks again. And that looks like a load of old hooey, extra channels does not mean extra content. And based on that it looks like there will be no options for TalkTalk customers other than all, or nothing.
    edited 10 July 2017, 8:24PM
    Visionman said:

402 Sky Sports main event / Sky Sports 1
    403 Sky Sports premier leagueSky  /Sports 2
    404 Sky Sports football / Sky Sports 3

BT don't have access to Sky Sports 3, 4 or 5. Its 1 & 2 only.

Sorry VM, what are you referring to there?
    edited 10 July 2017, 8:24PM
    Visionman said:

The Ombudsman had previously removed WMO. And now there is a realignment of packages. More for Skys benefit than others. As their churn is the highest its ever been, so they needed to respond with something.

Do you mean Ofcom?
    edited 10 July 2017, 9:21PM
    Visionman said:

I'm not going into it. What will be will be theres nowt an internet forum can do about it.