[Discussion] BT software update 28.26.0

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 September 2017, 11:04PM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>
    "An implication that BT do testing.  Interesting; because if they do testing they wouldnt have given the go ahead for the release of this infested NewGen in the first place."
    Thats a Poor comment and is your opinion only.
    I personally like it (and I'm not alone) and am looking forward to the changes that are to come, because, as you say, they can't get any worse.

Just for clarity - all platforms test their own releases and individual box models. Hence why theres a gap and hence why they can't give dates.
    Its not in BT's interest to delay new releases of NextGen (or anyone elses either), but with my time with YouView there is one thing that I have learnt - quirks aside, no one will release anything until they are stable and ready.

Yes. Said email contained the term 'complete misinformation' and so the thread was deleted and then eradicated. Since then the BT T1000 situation has been explained, twice.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • dreamtimedreamtime Member Posts: 205
    edited 20 September 2017, 9:46PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>
    "Well there's got to be a reason why 10 weeks have elapsed and still this 28.26 update isn't available for DTRT-1000 and while I can't post up what I was told in confidence, I can draw attention to Visionman's comments that if you have a DTRT-1000 and pointedly complain to BT they will replace it.  
    Now why would BT bear the cost of that if they could say "oh no the DTRT-1000 and Next Gen get along just fine"

Don't you twist my comments to suit your forum sugar stirring agenda. 
    BT are very active, proactive and cooperative when replacing an in contract users equipment at no extra cost. Thats a positive, not negative. 

So are we saying that some Youview boxes have been made second class by enforcing a software change on them?
    edited 20 September 2017, 9:54PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>
    "Well there's got to be a reason why 10 weeks have elapsed and still this 28.26 update isn't available for DTRT-1000 and while I can't post up what I was told in confidence, I can draw attention to Visionman's comments that if you have a DTRT-1000 and pointedly complain to BT they will replace it.  
    Now why would BT bear the cost of that if they could say "oh no the DTRT-1000 and Next Gen get along just fine"

BT are very active, proactive and cooperative when replacing an in contract users equipment at no extra cost. Thats a positive, not negative. 

No. As Phil has publicly stated, each new build gets tested on T1000s first.
    YouView are in fact to be commended for keeping 2012 kit updated. They are no Apple, thats for sure. 
    edited 20 September 2017, 9:56PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

Needs thinking about though. Seems like BT think otherwise.
    edited 20 September 2017, 10:11PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

William -
    Well, not at all. As Roy has reported above, his retail T1000 is running beyond 28.26 (pre-public release) so they are capable of it. Though I understand your concern, I have actually asked about it and been assured that the BTs T1000s aren't going to get left behind.
    Though for anyone who remains 10 week impatient, they are offering a no extra cost upgrade to a T2100. So theres nothing surreptitious here. 
    edited 20 September 2017, 10:13PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

Interesting why BT would take on the extra cost if the boxes are OK. Perhaps to tie people into an 18 month contract!!
  • GrundersGrunders Member Posts: 131
    edited 20 September 2017, 10:23PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

William, dont forget that getting your upgrade to a T2100 doesnt give you v28.35 - as it is yet to be included in the planned roll outs.  So exercising the suggestion against a 10 week impatience doesnt achieve anything (other than a new box with the same functionality).

Here comes the nay-sayers.....
    edited 20 September 2017, 10:31PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

and a new contract.
    edited 30 September 2017, 12:27AM
    I sometimes wonder why some users are still on here and why they are still with YouView at all, as from the way some post it sounds like its the worst platform in the world and every other platform is perfect.
    Thats not the case of course, but the nay sayers will have their way and say, as such is the nature of internet fora. 
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited 20 September 2017, 10:46PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

Not necessarily William, I didn't agree one before being offered a 2100

Anyway this thread is about 28.26 and if you do change to a 2100 you will get 28.26 now.  
    edited 20 September 2017, 10:47PM
    Visionman said:

I sometimes wonder why some users are still on here and why they are still with YouView at all, as from the way some post it sounds like its the worst platform in the world and every other platform is perfect.
    Thats not the case of course, but the nay sayers will have their way and say, as such is the nature of internet fora. 

Was better before the change in software that did not give customers the option to implement or not.
    edited 20 September 2017, 10:59PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

Don't think that allows me to hide channels though. Not even the part implementation of the hide channels facility that I had before.
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited 21 September 2017, 7:27AM
    Visionman said:

Exactly

There is a lot that is good about the YouView box, it's intuitive (both Gens), it has the 1 minute and 15 second jump forward and back buttons, it has a 2 hour live pause buffer, the scroll back in time Guide is excellent and it has very good twin HD FreeView tuners.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 20 September 2017, 11:37PM
    Visionman said:

Whether it was better or not, and there are people arguing for both sides on that, I think that we have to look forward and hopefully help shape the future direction of Next Gen, (which the trialists amongst us are certainly attempting to do), and forget about petty squabbles over Old Gen v New Gen. If we remain constructive we can maybe improve what we have now because Youview aren't for turning back.

As Steve has said, this particular thread is about 28.26.0 which non-trialists currently are on. Also, I am not aware of anyone who was asked to re-contract when getting the box swap from BT.

edited 20 September 2017, 11:47PM
    Robert>
    "As Steve has said, this particular thread is about 28.26.0 which non-trialists currently are on. Also, I am not aware of anyone who was asked to re-contract when getting the box swap from BT."
    Agreed. 
    The Original Gen Vs Next Gen arguments don't belong on here because they have no relevance on here, as this thread is about the current and future 28.26.0 update for BT hardware. 
  • Peter S3Peter S3 Member Posts: 22
    edited 22 September 2017, 12:56PM
    its not about Current Gen V. Next Gen. Its about the user experience and our opinions on the software. It just happens that in many users find how Next Gen has been implemented in 28.26.0, leaves a great deal to be desired. Comparing 28.26.0 with earlier versions is a valid method of pointing out the short comings. I for one will be glad when 28.26.0 is irrelevant history and we are discussing 28.35.0 or later, and I am hoping there will be a lot less to complain about.
    edited 21 September 2017, 12:20AM
    Visionman said:

The reason we are still with YouView, is that having parted with our hard earned cash, we now have a PVR which is functional but has been downgraded by the Manufacturer without warning. Fortunately it is not so bad we want to chuck it in the skip & part with more cash to replace it.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 September 2017, 8:16AM
    Visionman said:

As you yourself have often claimed, Visionman, the YouView box is still way better than whatever is in second place.

But the reason for all the wailing, and the gnashing of teeth, is that it is not better than what used to be in first place, which was the OldGen YouView box, something that was snatched away with no warning and a changeling left in its place, and it is still not better even after a year of further development.

I suspect that those who really could not hack tiles have gone now, other people have jumped ship to various other platforms., and many people have reluctantly learned to live with, if not love, NextGen.

But the residual complainers are those frustrated exactly by the fact that there isn't anything better; and while some are looking back with nostalgia to OldGen, and some are looking forward, albeit without a lot of hope, to the day when NextGen at last matches OldGen again, none of them quite want to be where they are now :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 21 September 2017, 7:28AM
    Peter S3 said:

its not about Current Gen V. Next Gen. Its about the user experience and our opinions on the software. It just happens that in many users find how Next Gen has been implemented in 28.26.0, leaves a great deal to be desired. Comparing 28.26.0 with earlier versions is a valid method of pointing out the short comings. I for one will be glad when 28.26.0 is irrelevant history and we are discussing 28.35.0 or later, and I am hoping there will be a lot less to complain about.

I for one will be glad when 28.26.0 is irrelevant history and we are discussing 28.35.0 or later, and I am hoping there will be a lot less to complain about.
    There wont be.  28.35.0 is exactly the same as 28.26 with the single change (they have brought back a form of hide/unhide channels).  That's it. (https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/-discussion-humax-software-update-28-35-0).
    edited 21 September 2017, 8:08AM
    Peter S3 said:

Just giving me that one function back will be a huge leap forward. While I prefer the look & operational functionality of Current Gen, I would be able to live with the look & feel of Next Gen if only I could delete/hide channels. Fixing some of the bugs would also be nice........
    edited 21 September 2017, 8:55AM
    Peter S3 said:

We should carefully set your expectations of 28.35.0; the Hide Channels functionality only operates in the EPG in this release, and they still appear if you use the P up/down Button, and their programmes can still appear in Search results.

But in the half-assed world of Agile development, which I have just had to take a mandatory course on (I'm in Ops, and I thought Agile was for Dev, but no, DevOps must be our watchword), the trick seems to be to whack the biggest mole on the head and get round to the other moles later, rather than waiting until they are all whacked.

And I think we must give it up to YouView for whacking the biggest Hide Channels mole on the head, at least, in 28.35.0 :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • andy.whitefordandy.whiteford Member Posts: 12
    edited 21 September 2017, 10:15AM
    Peter S3 said:

I guess we all have different views on what the biggest mole is!
    edited 21 September 2017, 10:56AM
    Peter S3 said:

Yes, I qualified the above with 'Hide Channels'. Which I think has been the most-missed feature overall, and the one YouView were right to release next.

But AAMOI, what's your 'biggest mole'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 21 September 2017, 4:37PM
    Peter S3 said:

My biggest mole has to be the 'jump to time in the timebar' function which I used most on live sports recordings. It was very useful on a Saturday evening being able to type in 30mins to the timebar to have the recorded programme 'jump' to kick off time in the BT Sport live game so I didn't have to endure the punditry.

If I had that back then Next Gen would be complete for ME.

edited 21 September 2017, 4:37PM
    Peter S3 said:

Yes, that's a biggie. We might hope for that next.
  • andy.whitefordandy.whiteford Member Posts: 12
    edited 21 September 2017, 5:33PM
    Peter S3 said:

Navigating multiple episodes in a series is probably the biggest one for me. It is utterly painful scrolling through a long list of large thumbnails in the next gen interface. Give me back the pages in list format so i can quickly jump multiple episodes at a time by clicking through pages and get to the episode I am after much quicker.
    edited 21 September 2017, 5:43PM
    Peter S3 said:

What a cracking suggestion that is! 
    After all, one can scroll the EPG in 'blocks' both horizontally (day by day) and vertically (page by page). So why not introduce such a feature for series recordings using the >> button to jump the five series recordings displayed on a page at a time on MYTV?
    edited 22 September 2017, 12:45PM
    Peter S>
    "its not about Current Gen V. Next Gen. Its about the user experience and our opinions on the software. It just happens that in many users find how Next Gen has been implemented in 28.26.0, leaves a great deal to be desired. Comparing 28.26.0 with earlier versions is a valid method of pointing out the short comings. I for one will be glad when 28.26.0 is irrelevant history and we are discussing 28.35.0 or later, and I am hoping there will be a lot less to complain about." 

I don't agree. Kieth described this 28.26.0 retail release update as -
    "Hallelujah - it may only have one small improvement but it will make a huge difference! 
    Finally a back journey out of a recording that returns you to exactly the episode tile you went in on!!!"

To which I totally agree. This update, whilst only a small one, totally transforms the user journey in and out of MyTV and its series recordings access and is a big, if not major, improvement. 
    Then there is 28.35.0 to come, which adds Edit Channels in the guide only. Which isn't perfect but is a start.
    Since launch, progress has been slow and its been a year now. But now updates are being fired out rapidly compared to OldGen and have been encouraging to see.
    MyTV is now pretty much perfect on the latest releases. It still needs a few tweaks here and there but they/these are minor qualms.
    OldGen was world class. NextGen was garbage when it launched, stripped of its features, but its now getting there and get there they will. :)
    edited 22 September 2017, 7:56AM
    Visionman said:

Peter S>
    "its not about Current Gen V. Next Gen. Its about the user experience and our opinions on the software. It just happens that in many users find how Next Gen has been implemented in 28.26.0, leaves a great deal to be desired. Comparing 28.26.0 with earlier versions is a valid method of pointing out the short comings. I for one will be glad when 28.26.0 is irrelevant history and we are discussing 28.35.0 or later, and I am hoping there will be a lot less to complain about." 

I don't agree. Kieth described this 28.26.0 retail release update as -
    "Hallelujah - it may only have one small improvement but it will make a huge difference! 
    Finally a back journey out of a recording that returns you to exactly the episode tile you went in on!!!"

To which I totally agree. This update, whilst only a small one, totally transforms the user journey in and out of MyTV and its series recordings access and is a big, if not major, improvement. 
    Then there is 28.35.0 to come, which adds Edit Channels in the guide only. Which isn't perfect but is a start.
    Since launch, progress has been slow and its been a year now. But now updates are being fired out rapidly compared to OldGen and have been encouraging to see.
    MyTV is now pretty much perfect on the latest releases. It still needs a few tweaks here and there but they/these are minor qualms.
    OldGen was world class. NextGen was garbage when it launched, stripped of its features, but its now getting there and get there they will. :)

Roll on Xmas 2018!
    edited 22 September 2017, 8:03AM
    Peter S3 said:

But AAMOI, what's your 'biggest mole'?
    For me:

1  Time select playback
    1  Sort order of displayed recordings (now showing and defaulting to oldest first)
    1  TILES!!

(yes, they are all labelled '1' for good reason).