[Discussion] BT software update 28.26.0

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,059 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 July 2017, 9:04PM

So when are the DTR- T1000 / 80B08500 boxes getting it as a lot of people are still using this model box. Or is support being withdrawn for this box ?

I wish the snipers on here would wait till then :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 541 ✭✭
    edited 20 July 2017, 10:21PM
    As yet I still not got this update to my G4 box that I also use for BT TV services. I still think that given time the older T1000 box that I now just use as a Freeview PVR and for the catch up players that Youview will stop support for them in time. The BT T1000 that I still have and will be just over 3 years old still works 98% fine.
    If I was ever to change providers I would look at PlusNet and there Youview offering or VM thats due to expand to my part of town by end of this year or early next year.
    I would not go back to Sky that I left in the late 90s.

Darren
  • Carrot CruncherCarrot Cruncher Member Posts: 5
    edited 9 August 2017, 11:58PM
    Just thought I would ad my comment, this update is disgusting, its slow laggy and takes to many clicks to get anything done, I have the 4k youview box, the my TV is a mess with oldest recordings at the top so you have untold clicks to the latest recording in series recordings, whoever thought this up should be sacked and whoever approved it should also be sacked, bad software is one thing, approving a GUI ike this has no excuse, Its like its been made flashy for flashy sense wit no real thought about the menu system, older boxes must struggle to handle the software as even the 4k box lags at times, also to dump a update like this without beta testing it is disgraceful, it shows utter contempt for customers who are being used as test subjects in a poor attempt at software experimentation.
    I will be leaving youview soon, this blatant disregard for customers who bought a box that works one way and ends up with this mess shows this company has the Morals of a mongrel coiling a steamer down on a bowling green
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 July 2017, 10:10PM

Just thought I would ad my comment, this update is disgusting, its slow laggy and takes to many clicks to get anything done, I have the 4k youview box, the my TV is a mess with oldest recordings at the top so you have untold clicks to the latest recording in series recordings, whoever thought this up should be sacked and whoever approved it should also be sacked, bad software is one thing, approving a GUI ike this has no excuse, Its like its been made flashy for flashy sense wit no real thought about the menu system, older boxes must struggle to handle the software as even the 4k box lags at times, also to dump a update like this without beta testing it is disgraceful, it shows utter contempt for customers who are being used as test subjects in a poor attempt at software experimentation.
    I will be leaving youview soon, this blatant disregard for customers who bought a box that works one way and ends up with this mess shows this company has the Morals of a mongrel coiling a steamer down on a bowling green

Hi Carrot Cruncher, I guess you are unhappy at some of the changes, there are many other users who feel the same way. But do you have to express your displeasure in such an antagonistic and unpleasant way?
    edited 21 July 2017, 10:13PM
    Hi Carrot Cruncher, I guess you are unhappy at some of the changes, there are many other users who feel the same way. But do you have to express your displeasure in such an antagonistic and unpleasant manner?
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited 26 July 2017, 12:15PM
    It's as disappointing a response to all the Next Gen feedback as I could possibly have imagined

What would be so difficult for Youview management to give a list of functions they deleted from the box without asking and that they have no plans to restore

Then we could all decide whether or not the provision of this now barely adequate degraded box is any reason to stay loyal to BT
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 589 ✭✭
    edited 24 July 2017, 5:37PM
    Steve K said:

It's as disappointing a response to all the Next Gen feedback as I could possibly have imagined

What would be so difficult for Youview management to give a list of functions they deleted from the box without asking and that they have no plans to restore

Then we could all decide whether or not the provision of this now barely adequate degraded box is any reason to stay loyal to BT

Steve K wrote:-

Doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation.

edited 24 July 2017, 8:20PM
    Steve K said:

You could notice the subtle combativeness of the unnecessary 'without asking', and consider for yourself if you don't hear the sound of an axe being ground there?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 24 July 2017, 8:37PM
    Steve K said:

"Subtle?"
    edited 24 July 2017, 8:39PM
    Steve K said:

Litotes....
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 July 2017, 8:38PM
    Steve K said:

Said user has also gone onto the BT Community Forum and slaughtered anyone and everyone who has an alternate opinion to his. The unfortunate thing about that is that not one fellow forum user or trialist is responsible for this. :(
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 July 2017, 9:55PM
    Steve K said:

I am getting deja vu lol
    edited 24 July 2017, 8:58PM
    Steve K said:

Not good. :(
    edited 25 July 2017, 12:47AM
    Steve K said:

This forum software won't allow me to like your post, scott. But have a like anyway.

edit - But its been done it in a delayed reaction way anyway. :)
    edited 25 July 2017, 6:49AM
    Steve K said:

Got a link? I could not find said user there.....
  • Philip BaldryPhilip Baldry Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 July 2017, 9:50AM
    Steve K said:

So when are the BT DTR- T1000 / 80B08500 boxes getting it as a lot of people are still using this model box. Or is support being withdrawn for this box ?
    Still not recieved this update and don't seem to get a response from anywhere
  • GrundersGrunders Member Posts: 131
    edited 26 July 2017, 10:19AM
    Steve K said:

@phillip:  are you still on 'oldgen' interface or have you already been downupgraded to backnewgen and you just want this very latest 28.26.0 version?  If you are on oldgen then my advice is to not wish for updates and turn off your auto-update function.  If you have already been subjected to the inappropriate software change then try running a forced 'software check' from within the SOFTWARE menu.
    edited 26 July 2017, 12:18PM
    Steve K said:

A glance at this page:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

will enable you to see what update any particular box should be on, and whether a rollout to a later version is in progress or not.

And that there is no point, Grunders, in Philip checking for updates on his T1000 at the moment, if he is currently on 27.50.0
    edited 28 July 2017, 12:08PM
    Consider this an official feedback for this version:

The problem of occasional freezing of the box still exists.  When frozen, it remains completely unresponsive to all input from the remote and the physical buttons.

I also noticed that during this freeze it also stopped the signal loop-through of the aerial to the TV too - when switching to direct TV avoiding the box the TV complained of no signal.  I had to physically bypass the youview box for it to work again.

No amount of button pressing/holding of the standby button on the box itself made a difference and I was forced to do the turn off/turn on to get it back running again.

This problem was also experienced in the 27.50.0 version but I never had a single freeze on the OldGen software.
    edited 27 July 2017, 1:09PM
    Grunders said:

The problem of occasional freezing of the box still exists.  When frozen, it remains completely unresponsive to all input from the remote and the physical buttons.

I also noticed that during this freeze it also stopped the signal loop-through of the aerial to the TV too - when switching to direct TV avoiding the box the TV complained of no signal.  I had to physically bypass the youview box for it to work again.

No amount of button pressing/holding of the standby button on the box itself made a difference and I was forced to do the turn off/turn on to get it back running again.

This problem was also experienced in the 27.50.0 version but I never had a single freeze on the OldGen software.

This is on BT version 28.60.0? You have two BT YouView boxes, on different releases?
    edited 27 July 2017, 1:34PM
    Grunders said:

BT box.  DTR-T2100.  28.26.0. One box.
  • andrew1andrew1 Member Posts: 17
    edited 28 July 2017, 7:56AM
    As of the 9th August I will finally be shot of the you view ****.  I had the confirmation e-mails this morning that it's all happening on the 9th.  I feel for the rest of you and I do hope it gets sorted, but for the next 18 months at least I have a super low price deal that gets me away from the god awful you view update.

I also had a letter from BT saying they are closing my formal complaint as they are not going to do anything about the software and so they cannot keep the complaint open #wtf  What a great business where you can just close a formal complaint because you openly state you are doing nothing about it whilst expecting someone to keep paying you.  

All the best.  I do promise and I mean it, I will come back and post if the grass turns out to be a desert but somehow I very much doubt it.
    edited 27 July 2017, 2:52PM
    Grunders said:

Cheers, Gru.

Got it now :-)
    edited 27 July 2017, 2:56PM
    andrew1 said:

As of the 9th August I will finally be shot of the you view ****.  I had the confirmation e-mails this morning that it's all happening on the 9th.  I feel for the rest of you and I do hope it gets sorted, but for the next 18 months at least I have a super low price deal that gets me away from the god awful you view update.

I also had a letter from BT saying they are closing my formal complaint as they are not going to do anything about the software and so they cannot keep the complaint open #wtf  What a great business where you can just close a formal complaint because you openly state you are doing nothing about it whilst expecting someone to keep paying you.  

All the best.  I do promise and I mean it, I will come back and post if the grass turns out to be a desert but somehow I very much doubt it.

Well, please don't keep us in suspense, especially the two people who Liked it, even without knowing which escape pod you have jettisoned in.

What platform is this (hopefully) greener grass growing on? :-)
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 July 2017, 5:53PM
    andrew1 said:

I would guess by the 18month contract you are being tied to SKY Q. As an owner of both for the last 11 months I can say both have their issues, YouView's well documented on here. SKY's awful Dolby Sound dropout, terrible TV guide and Catch-up implementation. Both also have their upsides. I think the next 6 months for both systems will see where they are going and SKY's announcement today that it's churn is at an all time high and rising shows you their customers are not happy also. We live in a world where musical chairs is the order of the day...
    edited 27 July 2017, 4:44PM
    andrew1 said:

There is now nothing I can do on my YouView box that I can't do on something else.

Trouble is, that's not just one 'something else' :-)
    edited 27 July 2017, 5:07PM
    andrew1 said:

As evidenced by both your posts, no platform is perfect.
    edited 27 July 2017, 5:10PM
    andrew1 said:

scott>
    "We live in a world where musical chairs is the order of the day..."
    Very true. I've never seen a war fought with chairs before...
    edited 28 July 2017, 12:56PM
    andrew1 said:

edited 28 July 2017, 10:41PM
    Talking of musical chairs and that the grass may or may not be greener...
    Sky announced its annual operating profits today. Down 14%. Also, Sky's churn used to remain steady at 10.1%, then that increased to 11.2%. Its now at another all time high of 11.5%.
    Actual loss is down £97m, despite an overall package increase of £10 per mth. 
    The chief executive of Sky, Jeremy Darroch, has decided to cash in £11.5m worth of shares, as has Sky’s finance chief Andrew Griffith, at £6.8m.
    Netflix, YouView and Amazon Prime continue to report increased user numbers.
    Interesting times...