[Discussion] BT software update 28.26.0

Comments

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 July 2017, 7:38AM
    Visionman said:

Talking of musical chairs and that the grass may or may not be greener...
    Sky announced its annual operating profits today. Down 14%. Also, Sky's churn used to remain steady at 10.1%, then that increased to 11.2%. Its now at another all time high of 11.5%.
    Actual loss is down £97m, despite an overall package increase of £10 per mth. 
    The chief executive of Sky, Jeremy Darroch, has decided to cash in £11.5m worth of shares, as has Sky’s finance chief Andrew Griffith, at £6.8m.
    Netflix, YouView and Amazon Prime continue to report increased user numbers.
    Interesting times...

Looks like BT customers are voting with thier feet about the new interface.....

'Our TV customer base continues to grow with TV net adds of 8,000 taking our base to 1.8m with all of our customers now migrated from our legacy Vision TV platform to YouView.'
  • Keith GreeneKeith Greene Member Posts: 3
    edited 28 July 2017, 9:39AM

Apart from all the adverse comments mentioned on this discussion, I can no longer record series programmes, albeit that I can select series when the requester pops up. Hopefully the next upgrade will bring back many aspects of why we liked the previous version.

Hi Sarah. I have a Human DTRt2110 box running 27.50.0 software (no upgrade yet). Despite choosing a series record, the icon just shows a single record and only records a single episode. It happens on all channels; soaps, Formula 1, anything. I tried to do a maintenance reset, but it won't let me. Switching off at the mains and restarting has no effect. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 28 July 2017, 9:51AM
    Visionman said:

Sky announced its annual operating profits today. Down 14%. Also, Sky's churn used to remain steady at 10.1%, then that increased to 11.2%. Its now at another all time high of 11.5%.
    The chief executive of Sky, Jeremy Darroch, has decided to cash in £11.5m worth of shares, as has Sky’s finance chief Andrew Griffith, at £6.8m.
    Interesting times...

Scott how's it hard to access Sky Q Catch Up ?

Using voice on touch remote speak name of show then select On Demand. Seems pretty simple to me really.
    edited 28 July 2017, 10:16AM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

I hate the touch remote and never use it so I can't use voice control, I have an expensive harmony remote.... if only they had Alexa integration :-)
    edited 28 July 2017, 10:34AM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

But we aren't just on about you are we ;-)

Most people don't have expensive harmony remotes or Echo/Echo dot.
    edited 28 July 2017, 11:25AM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

But most people hate the touch remote
    edited 28 July 2017, 12:12PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

Really do you have the stats to back that up or are you basing that on your reading of Forums.
    edited 28 July 2017, 12:21PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

And yet according to Sky voice is seeing increased usage all the time.
    edited 28 July 2017, 12:39PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

That's so they don't have to use the remote other than pressing the voice button....lol
    edited 28 July 2017, 1:00PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

Isn't that the idea ? Or am I missing something.
  • GrundersGrunders Member Posts: 131
    edited 28 July 2017, 1:08PM
    Grunders said:

Consider this an official feedback for this version:

The problem of occasional freezing of the box still exists.  When frozen, it remains completely unresponsive to all input from the remote and the physical buttons.

I also noticed that during this freeze it also stopped the signal loop-through of the aerial to the TV too - when switching to direct TV avoiding the box the TV complained of no signal.  I had to physically bypass the youview box for it to work again.

No amount of button pressing/holding of the standby button on the box itself made a difference and I was forced to do the turn off/turn on to get it back running again.

This problem was also experienced in the 27.50.0 version but I never had a single freeze on the OldGen software.

Another day, another morning and another freeze. Another power off/power on and another stress on the internals of the box (in particular the harddrive) and my tolerance of this box.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 July 2017, 1:58PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

I have a Sony YouView touch remote and when I first got it I disliked it with a passion.
    Then my youngest son got hold of it and said "Err... what-do-a do it?" Totally perplexed. :)
    I told him to use it like a phones touch screen and then I just sat there and watched him. Watching the Youtube vids too, of course. It took him an hour to master it but by heck he nailed it. Then I tried it, copying him. I'm a wizz at it now. :)  Still think its build quality is cheap tack though...
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 28 July 2017, 1:46PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

I have no issues with the Q touch remote but I regularly use the Apple TV touch remote.
  • Brian958Brian958 Member Posts: 47
    edited 28 July 2017, 2:20PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

Hi all, I have one full page of channel tat I never view now, despite having previously been able to hide them at will when they show up.
    Also, there is one fairly recent channel added to Freeview that I'd really like to add to the channel list that I would watch and record via YV.
    I can only view it in real time through the TV tuner at the moment!

I'd be grateful for any ideas?

PS: I've not bothered retuning as I don't want all those other hidden channels back.  
    edited 28 July 2017, 2:29PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

Hi Brian. Its best if you start your own thread, you'll get more replies that way. :)
    But please state the channel and your general area/transmitter.
    edited 28 July 2017, 4:33PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

Thanks for the reply Visionman. Granted it would merit it's own thread, in fact I'd be surprised if there were no other threads on this precise problem already. 
    Hence the reason for highlighting it on here, and liking the posters who keep
    mentioning the problems with the lack of the hide/unhide feature for the last few months because this is a "biggie".
    I'm used to, and like the new interface after the tweeks, and some helpful user hints or 2 to improve the visual experience, but if I knew the hide/unhide feature would take this long to sort out regardless of any issues, I likely would have just purchased another Humax (or similar) customisable unit and to heck with the entertainment/sports packs.

Just saying.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 July 2017, 9:56PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

It is a "biggie" no doubt about it.  But it is coming, we have been assured, hopefully before too much longer.
    edited 29 July 2017, 11:28AM
    Consider this official feedback of a problem:

Doing a search, (for this exampl, I input "Harry" and chose 'Harry Brown' as one of the suggestions), I get an error about 'no internet'.

See screenshot:

And yet there is no problem with the internet.  (Here I am using the internet to write this report).  Furthermore, to prove the point, all apps on the Youview box launch ok (they wouldnt if there was no internet) and another choice (from "Harry" - choosing 'Dirty Harry') does show up correctly with On Demand options:

So there is definitely NOT an internet connection problem - but there are 2 problems:

1, with the software/service randomly not being able to search and
    2, the error it gives is totally ambiguous and doesnt reflect the problem accurately.
    edited 28 July 2017, 7:21PM
    Grunders said:

Doing a search, (for this exampl, I input "Harry" and chose 'Harry Brown' as one of the suggestions), I get an error about 'no internet'.

See screenshot:

And yet there is no problem with the internet.  (Here I am using the internet to write this report).  Furthermore, to prove the point, all apps on the Youview box launch ok (they wouldnt if there was no internet) and another choice (from "Harry" - choosing 'Dirty Harry') does show up correctly with On Demand options:

So there is definitely NOT an internet connection problem - but there are 2 problems:

2, the error it gives is totally ambiguous and doesnt reflect the problem accurately.

It means an internet connection problem with your box? Not with whatever device you are using to post here.
    edited 28 July 2017, 7:28PM
    Grunders said:

See screenshot:

You have an individual problem. Just reset your box. And thats official. :) 
    edited 28 July 2017, 7:50PM
    Grunders said:

See screenshot:

You have an individual problem. Just reset your box. And thats official.
    A, the box has been reset
    B, asking for advice on how to habdle it wasnt the point of the report.  WORKING boxes without bugs wouldnt misbehave like this and report ambiguous error messages.  This feedback was for Youview to note the problem happens.
    It means an internet connection problem with your box? Not with whatever device you are using to post here.
    Thank you Einstein, thank you for tackling this.  Your next task to tackle: maintain attention and read beyond the first line.

(Please, no more responses for my attention, I'm not interested unless you are a Youview official.)
    edited 28 July 2017, 7:56PM
    Grunders said:

See screenshot:

I read and understood your entire post as you posted it, any misunderstanding is based on your inability to express your issue clearly. And you would do well to extend me the same common courtesy rather than making snide remarks.
    edited 28 July 2017, 7:59PM
    Grunders said:

See screenshot:

I read and understood your entire post as you posted it, any misunderstanding is based on your inability to express your issue clearly. And you would do well to extend me the same common courtesy rather than making snide remarks. As well as recognising how this community works. If you want a response from YouView alone then email them, don't post your trite rubbish here.
    edited 28 July 2017, 8:00PM
    Grunders said:

See screenshot:

I read and understood your entire post as you posted it, any misunderstanding is based on your inability to express your issue clearly. And you would do well to extend me the same common courtesy rather than making snide remarks. As well as recognising how this community works. If you want a response from YouView alone then email them, don't post here rubbishing other members.
    edited 28 July 2017, 8:35PM
    Grunders said:

See screenshot:

UPDATE:  After a while I have just performed the same check again as given in my original post (using "Harry" as the search word and selecting 'Harry Brown').  It now behaves correctly without error or erroneous report.  (No box reset has been performed since the last failed test).  I suspect there was some sort of server error or caching problem at Youview towers that has since been rectified.  (It doesnt forgive the incorrect error text though).
    edited 28 July 2017, 8:38PM
    Grunders said:

See screenshot:

Yeah, must have been a YouView fault, no possibility of anything else going wrong in the long and complex chain that we generally take for granted.
    Grunders said:

See screenshot:

Yeah, must have been a YouView fault, no possibility of anything else going wrong in the long and complex chain that we generally take for granted.  ;)
    Grunders said:

See screenshot:

No, no other AV kit in the world has ever had a blip. Unforgivable. 
    edited 28 July 2017, 10:34PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

I'll give 'em 18 months while I'm "saving" £117 till my new contract runs out,
    after that it's back to Freeview with a basic internet package.
    Hope is a good thing redchiz, and as we know assurances are not always to be believed;) but patience is limited here with good reason.
    edited 28 July 2017, 10:49PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting times...

I can't disagree with anything you say there Brian, but if if the hide channels feature still isn't restored within 18 months then I'll buy you a box of your choice myself ;)