[Discussion] BT software update 28.26.0

Comments

• Brian958Brian958 Member Posts: 47
    edited 18 September 2017, 8:33PM
    "So this feature will be coming to all models. :) "

LOL although it does not say so on that page, does not mention my model nor gives any indication of timing of alleged impending "all model roll out" of 28.35.0 ;)

Just saying.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 September 2017, 9:08PM
    Brian, do you know how YouView and its phased staggered roll outs work? 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 19 September 2017, 12:25AM
    Yes thanks Visionman, but where is it stated "this will be coming to all models" in the link you supplied?
    Would it be advisable to state as such under the Compatible Devices section on that page for clarity, do you think?

Thanks in Advance

edited 18 September 2017, 9:55PM
    All models get all new feature releases, Brian, with no box left behind.
    But if you think they don't, I would be interested in hearing why?
  • Peter S3Peter S3 Member Posts: 22
    edited 29 September 2017, 6:16PM
    The link Visionman gave to info on 28.35.0 was dated 8th August. My box (t2100, not listed as compatible) checked for update on 18th Sept, but is still on 28.26.0. If Humax, BT or whoever is responsible would publish a timetable of when the update is likely to be rolled out to each model it would go a long way to improving their relationship with their customers. Has no one in Humax etc ever heard about PR?
    They ask for our feedback, but appear to be completely disinterested and Hell bent on pissing their customers off. This may not be intentional, but they don't appear to be doing anything to improve our opinion of them.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 September 2017, 10:45PM
    Brian958 said:

Yes thanks Visionman, but where is it stated "this will be coming to all models" in the link you supplied?
    Would it be advisable to state as such under the Compatible Devices section on that page for clarity, do you think?

Thanks in Advance

This may be what you want:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Peter S3Peter S3 Member Posts: 22
    edited 18 September 2017, 10:42PM
    Brian958 said:

Thanks in Advance

Thanks Vissionman, sadly I have already tried that tonight. To be told 28.26.0 is the latest available.
    edited 18 September 2017, 10:45PM
    Brian958 said:

Thanks in Advance

Thanks Roy and yes, that was the one. :)
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 September 2017, 10:48PM
    edited 19 September 2017, 12:25AM
    Brian958 said:

Thanks in Advance

Hi Peter and yes, for BT models the Edit Channels Feature isn't yet currently publicly available.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 September 2017, 7:17AM
    Peter S3 said:

The link Visionman gave to info on 28.35.0 was dated 8th August. My box (t2100, not listed as compatible) checked for update on 18th Sept, but is still on 28.26.0. If Humax, BT or whoever is responsible would publish a timetable of when the update is likely to be rolled out to each model it would go a long way to improving their relationship with their customers. Has no one in Humax etc ever heard about PR?
    They ask for our feedback, but appear to be completely disinterested and Hell bent on pissing their customers off. This may not be intentional, but they don't appear to be doing anything to improve our opinion of them.

It is up to BT to tell YouView when they are happy for the BT boxes to get an update and then roll out commences immediately. BT have to go through its admin duties before it can release, until the testing is completed to its satisfaction it will not commence rollout. There are many times a release is not sanctioned until further improvements are made, even ones that are released on Retail. Therefore it can become impossible to put a timeframe in place. The only way they could do this would be to agree a release is acceptable then put a delay in till a specific date and then release that date to public. This defeats the whole purpose as it just puts in a delay. Maybe if releases were one or two a year this would be an ok way to go but not at the point we are now.
  • GrundersGrunders Member Posts: 131
    edited 19 September 2017, 7:34AM
    Peter S3 said:

BT have to go through its admin duties before it can release, until the testing is completed to its satisfaction it will not commence rollout
    An implication that BT do testing.  Interesting; because if they do testing they wouldnt have given the go ahead for the release of this infested NewGen in the first place.  Maybe they are not as caring about it as one would like to think of they are.  (Or... maybe they have learned a lesson and actually got fed up with the complaints and are being more reluctant to sanction it.  Doubt it though as these releases are now meant to (can only!) make things better.)
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 September 2017, 8:05AM
    Peter S3 said:

Idiotic comment, there have been many links and stories about BT testing on top of YouView. Seeing as they have ip channels, bt sport red button, 4K channel, BT Player all on top of retail of course they do there own testing...
    They also do there own scoring, of which 90% are happy with the new gen but of course people still think the comments on here represent the whole and not just the minority.
    edited 19 September 2017, 8:24AM
    Peter S3 said:

I believe that during the development of NextGen, TalkTalk and BT both got their new players ready well before YouView were.

All dressed up and nowhere to go.... hence the push to launch the unarguably premature NextGen needed as the platform for these.

But the NextGen releases all very largely work as designed, even though the designs were sadly wanting.

But as you surmise, it is not in BT's slightest interest to delay the new releases of NextGen, which only serve to improve matters.

What is the case, though, is that the ISPs use techniques that retail don't, like multicast, and there are considerations like compatibility with their own players, and with their own YouView box models, that they need to check.

OTOH, if I subscribed to BT TV, I would be running it on 28.35.0 on my retail T2000, and I would expect it all to work, pretty much.... but no guarantees, I guess.

It does seem strange to see the words 'BT' and 'care' in the same sentence, though, without a 'don't' in front of that 'care'.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 19 September 2017, 1:37PM
    Visionman stated:
    "All models get all new feature releases, Brian, with no box left behind. But if you think they don't, I would be interested in hearing why?"

Visionman,
    You did not address my questions regarding your assertions that are not on the page you linked too, hence my "alleged" comment;) was not meant to imply I wont get the update, but the lack of clarity etc as I stated in that previous post.

At least I know now that the update version 28.35 which appears to have the edit channels option will be available for my BT supplied Youview model DT TR2100 box sometime after September 20th 2017. 

I give up now. 
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited 19 September 2017, 10:03AM
    Peter S3 said:

More like BT do care but suspect/know those releases don't run reliably.  Over 10 weeks delay now to this 28.26 release for DTRT-1000s,
    edited 30 September 2017, 12:27AM
    Grunders>
    "An implication that BT do testing.  Interesting; because if they do testing they wouldnt have given the go ahead for the release of this infested NewGen in the first place."
    Thats a Poor comment and is your opinion only.
    I personally like it (and I'm not alone) and am looking forward to the changes that are to come, because, as you say, they can't get any worse.

Just for clarity - all platforms test their own releases and individual box models. Hence why theres a gap and hence why they can't give dates.
    Its not in BT's interest to delay new releases of NextGen (or anyone elses either), but with my time with YouView there is one thing that I have learnt - quirks aside, no one will release anything until they are stable and ready.
  • dreamtimedreamtime Member Posts: 205
    edited 19 September 2017, 11:10PM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>
    "An implication that BT do testing.  Interesting; because if they do testing they wouldnt have given the go ahead for the release of this infested NewGen in the first place."
    I personally like it (and I'm not alone) and am looking forward to the changes that are to come, because, as you say, they can't get any worse.

Just for clarity - all platforms test their own releases and individual box models. Hence why theres a gap and hence why they can't give dates.
    Its not in BT's interest to delay new releases of NextGen (or anyone elses either), but with my time with YouView there is one thing that I have learnt - quirks aside, no one will release anything until they are stable and ready.

In your opinion!!
    edited 19 September 2017, 11:19PM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>

Hard to read that and not conclude that BT tested this 28.26 on the DTRT-1000 and found it wanting.  
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 19 September 2017, 11:23PM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>

BT have already replied in open forum and in email correspondence that they will announce if and when they have an update ready for those on the T1000 boxes. Not having one I couldn't say if they were tested or not or what the situation will be going forward with those boxes. I do know there is testing going on at the moment but other than my model (the BT branded T2100) I couldn't comment on others.
    edited 19 September 2017, 11:56PM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>

"In your opinion!!"
    No William. Thats a fact.
    "Hard to read that and not conclude that BT tested this 28.26 on the DTRT-1000 and found it wanting."
    Thats hard to say, Steve K, as I haven't got one and so wouldn't know.
    edited 20 September 2017, 7:43AM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>

I've got one, and it is on a later release than 28.26.0, and BT is my ISP, and I can see no differentiation from my T2000; not even in speed particularly, in normal daily use.

I am never thinking 'Oh, I had better do this on the T2000' or even 'Oh, I wish I was doing this on the T2000'.

And the full panoply of BT code is present on both devices (grrr), though of course without a BT TV subscription I can't use it; but if BT have found anything wanting, this is the only area it can be in, the operation of the code that BT themselves have created.
    edited 20 September 2017, 5:27PM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>

Well there's got to be a reason why 10 weeks have elapsed and still this 28.26 update isn't available for DTRT-1000 and while I can't post up what I was told in confidence, I can draw attention to Visionman's comments that if you have a DTRT-1000 and pointedly complain to BT they will replace it.  

Now why would BT bear the cost of that if they could say "oh no the DTRT-1000 and Next Gen get along just fine"
  • KK Member Posts: 6
    edited 22 September 2017, 12:35PM
    visionMan, I have a Bug/Tec Error! since getting the Update ,its happend at least TWICE! during last month.I was watching a Episode of a Series Link Recording Programe,when the episode end'd ,I pressed back then just has I select DELETE
    to delete episode ,I get no ON SCREEN Promt/Message the box just FREEZE's and only way to get the box out of the CRASH is to press the button on BACK off box.The box Re-Starts/Boots has normal ,but when I go to MYTV the WHOLE Series has been DELETE'd ,this is very fusstating if you havn't watched ALL of the series yet.
  • KK Member Posts: 6
    edited 20 September 2017, 7:13PM
    Grunders said:

Time to write another observation of a fault that I have witnessed in this infested NewGen software a few times bit not yet reported.

Scenario:

1, Choose a program that is one for many hours (eg, a Formula 1 GP race) and schedule it to record.  Note: I dont know if this step (to record it) is important - its just that I always am and dont know any different.

2,  Watch the program though the LIVE feed anyway (do NOT watching the recording in MyTV, we are watching the LIVE broadcast.)

3,  Several hours in to watching the program (Im guessing over 2 hours) attempt to use the 15second ¦<<  rewind to replay the last 15 seconds.

Results:  It doesnt work!!!  It simply stutters a little and continues to show the live feed.  The ability to rewind/reply the last 15 seconds (or even further) has failed.  Its as though it is now no longer recording the live feed to rewind.

HOWEVER:  pressing PAUSE and creating a buffer for a few seconds, then play (from the buffer) and THEN press ¦<< 15 sec rewind DOES correctly rewind.   But then pressing STOP to resume live broadcast returns back to the problem.

Conclusion:  after a long period (eg after 2 hours) the 15seconds rewind during live viewing fails to work.

Fao:YouView And/Or Sarah ,Please see myPosting ABOVE ,I Look forward too your Reply.
    edited 20 September 2017, 7:41PM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>

Indeed BT have been very forthcoming in recent comms which has been very welcome. They have been open and honest about their T1000 branded boxes and have promised an update on any forthcoming software updates to those boxes as and when the time is right. There is no conspiracy and no one getting priveledged information that others aren't receiving.

They have also spoken out against one of their forum members whom they have asked people to ignore as their behaviour was overstepping the line. At last BT being proactive and protective towards their hardware and their customer base. That did come as a huge surprise!
    edited 20 September 2017, 8:39PM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>

Link?
    edited 20 September 2017, 8:42PM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>

Yes, a link would be handy for most assertions generally.
    edited 30 September 2017, 12:27AM
    Steve K>
    "Well there's got to be a reason why 10 weeks have elapsed and still this 28.26 update isn't available for DTRT-1000 and while I can't post up what I was told in confidence, I can draw attention to Visionman's comments that if you have a DTRT-1000 and pointedly complain to BT they will replace it.  
    Now why would BT bear the cost of that if they could say "oh no the DTRT-1000 and Next Gen get along just fine"

Don't you twist my comments to suit your forum sugar stirring agenda. 
    BT are very active, proactive and cooperative when replacing an in contract users equipment at no extra cost. Thats a positive, not negative. 
    edited 20 September 2017, 8:54PM
    Visionman said:

Grunders>

It was in an email correspondence guys which I know was sent out to more than just me. It was apparently sent out to some people participating in a particular thread which had gone 'rogue'. As part of it related to the T1000 they addressed it in said email.