Remote won't switch box on

Claire TwineClaire Twine Posts: 29Member
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Support
Over the last few weeks my box won't turn on by remote. (Not everytime, maybe once a week) The red PVR button turns red when I press the on/off button but the box won't turn on. I have to turn off the switch at the back then turn it on again and this does turn the box on. The problem with this is that if the box is recording I can't turn it on this way as it'll stop the recording.

Our second box had this problem too along with missed recordings but one of the cables had slightly come out and the box is working now.

I have checked my cables in my box and all is ok. My box is nearly 5 years old so definitely out of warranty! I'm hoping it's an easy fix - any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,101Member ✭✭✭
    edited 15 July 2017, 10:55PM
    Have you tried new batteries in the remote?

After five years, it probably needs some.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,707Member ✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Are both of your boxes manufactured by the same company if so have you checked if the other remote works the problem box OK?
  • Claire TwineClaire Twine Posts: 29Member
    edited 16 July 2017, 7:43AM
    Roy - of course Ive checked the batteries!
    Daniel, Thank you for your reply. I guess both boxes are? I bought them retail at different times so not through BT or Talk Talk. My remote works on the other box and the other remote works on mine. This isn't an every day problem, just happens about once weekly.
    edited 16 July 2017, 1:27PM
    Hi Claire

Well, I'm not a mind reader, though it would be a handy skill on the forum :-)

Is your TV a plasma TV, by any chance? Or do you have any of those smart lamps that work off a remote, or from an app?

Does the problem correlate with times when there is a bright light, e,g. sunlight, shining on the front of the box?

These are all things known to cause this sort of issue.

Failing that, look for other correlations - what else is happening when the box doesn't 'see' the remote that isn't happening when things are OK?

It is also worth trying a soft reset, as per the lowest of the Pinned postings above, to see if this has any effect on the issue.

And if not, maybe even a Maintenance Mode Option 2 or 4, as described there also.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    edited 16 July 2017, 1:22PM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Claire

Is your TV a plasma TV, by any chance? Or do you have any of those smart lamps that work off a remote, or from an app?

Does the problem correlate with times when there is a bright light, e,g. sunlight, shining on the front of the box?

Failing that, look for other correlations - what else is happening when the box doesn't 'see' the remote that isn't happening when things are OK?

It is also worth trying a soft reset, as per the lowest of the Pinned postings above, to see if this has any effect on the issue.

And if not, maybe even a Maintenance Mode Option 2 or 4, as described there also.

It's not a plasma tv, no idea what a smart lamp is. Problem occurs when box has been in stand by overnight. Nothing else happens whilst I'm pressing the remote, except pvr button glows red, box won't turn on from standby. Don't want to reset as I have 60% worth of programs saved. Can't get into maintenance mode - tried that when I had other issues a few years ago.
    edited 16 July 2017, 1:27PM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Claire

Nothing I have recommended will delete, or even affect, your recordings.

If you don't know what smart lighting is, then I guess you haven't got any, but here's an example, just for the record:-

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/87182915...
  • Joe1Joe1 Posts: 6Member
    edited 11 August 2017, 9:00PM
    I have this problem too :(

It seems to happen whenever the box is recording the handmaid's tale (although to be fair I don't record much else on it, but if I do record anything else on it that seems to record okay). I have to turn it off and on at the back, and most of the time the programme hasn't even recorded when I turn it back on.
    edited 17 July 2017, 6:53AM
    Joe1 said:

It seems to happen whenever the box is recording the handmaid's tale (although to be fair I don't record much else on it, but if I do record anything else on it that seems to record okay). I have to turn it off and on at the back, and most of the time the programme hasn't even recorded when I turn it back on.

So you stop it rolling, but it still gathers no Moss?
    edited 30 July 2017, 9:03PM
    Joe1 said:

I managed to fix this by turning off SMART standby (I've put it on the least power efficient option, but at least it doesn't crash now)
    edited 8 August 2017, 8:46AM
    Joe1 said:

But will leaving the box on all the time cause it to be too hot or overheat?

I went on holiday for 2 weeks and when I got home I couldn't turn on my box from standby. When I eventually got it up and running it hadn't recorded anything and I had to re schedule most of my recordings. This morning I couldn't turn it on by remote again. This is now happening most mornings instead of the odd day. I did a soft reset (pressing the on button for 8 seconds) but since doing that the issue seems to be worse. I can't get into Maintenance mode no matter how hard I try! I never had this issue before the massive update and I really don't want to factory reset and lose everything.

So does anyone know if turning off Smart standby so the box is on all the time won't cause the box to overheat?
    edited 9 August 2017, 6:39AM
    Joe1 said:

Joes hasn't said he does that, Claire.

He has said he has turned off Smart Standby, but that still leaves two other Standby modes he could be using, though he has not said which one:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

Perhaps you can let Claire, and us, know which, Joe?

Claire, I presume (risking another 'Of course I do, Roy!' but the only stupid question is the one you don't ask) that you are aware that the Maintenance Mode procedure is slightly different for each box, and you are using the correct one for yours?

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

As I often say, every box derangement is, by dint of how time works, after some update or another, so may not actually be caused by it. But there do seem to be a range of box derangements caused by doing updates, but not by anything actually in the software in the update.

In such cases, the next update isn't going to help, and if a soft reset doesn't, and nor does a Maintenance Mode reset, or you can't make one, then the problem is terminal.

And at the moment, it looks like both of you have boxes still limping along, but in this intermediate failure state.
    edited 9 August 2017, 9:11AM
    Joe1 said:

I know which buttons to press for maintenance mode but it just won't come up. I have the 1010 model so it's the on button immediately followed by the left volume button. I had issues when I first got the box (which turned out to be problems with my tv aerial) and tried maintenance mode then.
    Anyway, I soft resented and I've changed to Always ready (but I don't have 3 options on my settings, only Smart Standby or Always Ready.) This morning my box turned on ok and everything has recorded so hopefully by turning on Always ready it will work for me too.
    edited 9 August 2017, 1:50PM
    Joe1 said:

You know you have to power off at the rear, wait a bit, and then power on again, after which it is indeed Power On followed by Vol- for five seconds till the Maint Mode message comes up on the screen?

I guess if you have the YouView app on a mobile device, the box is smart enough not to offer you Energy Saver - is this the case for you?

I have seen user reports that Always Ready can alleviate problems with these boxes, by stopping them ever going into a deep sleep, so I hope this will work for you.

Obviously a box you have to do this on is not quite right, but it remains the intelligent path of least resistance.
    edited 9 August 2017, 4:31PM
    Joe1 said:

Yes I do. It's obviously a problem with the box but I'm hoping I'll never have to use maintenance mode!
    And yes I do have the app on my mobile devices.

Fingers crossed all ok now - thank you
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:17PM
    Joe1 said:

my box crashed again so turns out switching off smart standby didn't actually fix it :(
    edited 9 August 2017, 10:27PM
    Joe1 said:

Now that's interesting - I've bee. Out and just tried to turn on my box and it wouldn't turn on - same as yours. That's a big coincidence and makes me think there's a software problem??? It must crashed at 12.37 as I was recording 2 programs at that time and both stopped recording early at 12.37.

I wonder if I unplug the cable to the Internet? Our internet is brilliant in my area and I only occasionally use the catch up TVs (like tomorrow when I watch what has failed to record tonight!!!). I wonder if that would make a difference???
    edited 10 August 2017, 7:52AM
    Joe1 said:

The operating parameters of failed hardware are unpredictable :-(
  • SarahSarah Posts: 460Administrator admin
    edited 10 August 2017, 8:22AM
    Joe1 said:

Hi Claire & Joe,

Just to confirm, is the issue with the boxes not turning on still with the remote not turning the box on or is manually turning it on via the box not working as well? 

Can you both also confirm which, if any, maintenance modes you've managed to perform? 

Joe - in terms of you mentioning your box crashing, is this when you're using it or do you mean that it's not turning on when you want to use it?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 10 August 2017, 11:12AM
    Joe1 said:

Hello
    Ok, my box hasn't (yet) crashed while I've been watching it. My problem is after I've turned it off by remote for the night the next morning I can't switch it on by the remote. I have to turn it off/on at the back. Then any missed recordings are still showing on the Schedule page and haven't recorded so I have to remove them then set up the recordings again if a series. I have 2 boxes and it's happening on both. My box is about 5 years old and the other box is 3 years old - retail boxes - but since the massive upgrade when my box suddenly became a BT box that is when this started to happen. - occasionally at first but now it's every morning.
    I can't seem to get into Maintenance Mode no matter how many times I try (and I am pressing the right buttons). I will try again but will be at the weekend because of my work shifts and when the box has no recordings scheduled. I want to do a factory reset saving recordings. I have done a soft reset but hasn't helped.
    When and if I can get into maintenance mode on Saturday I will post back on here immediately.
    Thanks
  • SarahSarah Posts: 460Administrator admin
    edited 10 August 2017, 3:06PM
    Joe1 said:

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the added detail.

Are both of your boxes 1010 models? 

When you say it became a BT box after the update, can you explain what you mean? Can you also let us know your ISP?

Thanks
    Sarah
    edited 10 August 2017, 6:54PM
    Joe1 said:

I suspect she means that the always unwelcome BT branding, which was at least more low-key on CurrentGen, has thrust its in-yer-face NextGen branding onto her box, with its full panoply of BT TV subscription detritus that you can't use and just gets in the way.

This may indicate who her ISP is, as well.
  • Hubble DelixHubble Delix Posts: 4Member
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:13AM
    Joe1 said:

I have the same fault. Two or three times a week, the box will not switch on with the remote, or the power button on top. Sometimes the light is purple stand-by, sometimes just red. I have to switch off and on at the back to start up.

Box is a t2110 and has done this through various updates.
    Have tried factory reset, two days later, same.
    Mine's only 8 months old, so it's going back to JL.
  • Hubble DelixHubble Delix Posts: 4Member
    edited 10 August 2017, 5:54PM
    Joe1 said:

I have the same fault. Two or three times a week, the box will not switch on with the remote, or the power button on top. Sometimes the light is purple stand-by, sometimes just red. I have to switch off and on at the back to start up.

Box is a t2110 and has done this through various updates.
    Have tried factory reset, two days later, same.
    Mine's only 8 months old, so it's going back to JL.
    edited 10 August 2017, 6:53PM
    Joe1 said:

Roy is right. And my model is 1010.
    edited 11 August 2017, 11:11PM
    Joe1 said:

Hi Hubble

I was at uni with that Crancis Frick.

Ring any bells?
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:19PM
    Joe1 said:

My box is the same, won't turn on with remote or button on the front, I have to switch it off at the back and on again, and then any recordings are missed. I think it only happens after the box has been on standby for a week or so (although I don't use it that much so maybe it wouldn't turn on next day if I tried that too, but sometimes it will be okay for a day or two before not turning on again).

I put it into maintenance mode and tried options 1 and 2 but still have the same problem afterwards.

My box is the DTR-T1000.

Thanks
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:30PM
    Joe1 said:

Try Option 4, my favourite.

Gentler options (1,2) are too wussy, harsher ones (3,5) are too tough
    edited 11 August 2017, 9:00PM
    Joe1 said:

Just checked, my box is also t1000 - I thought it was the 1010!
    edited 11 August 2017, 10:45PM
    Well it's done. Factory reset keep recordings has been carried out, recordings reschedules and mobile devices connected. Now it's a case of wait and see if the problem is fixed! Only annoying thing is all the **** subscription channels, bt channels, sky channels, kids channels and radio channels that I had hidden arenow on show! I really wish they would bring back the hidden button!
    I really hope I won't be posting on here again!
    edited 12 August 2017, 6:03AM
    Hi Claire

I guess it all worked as you did the correct MM action for the box you actually have?

Hide Channels (or at least, Hide Channels in the EPG, if nowhere else) is rolling out in the latest release 28.35.0 - see the Pinned Conversation at the top of the Home Page, which doesn't seem to be as prominent as we might have hoped - which you will hopefully get shortly, if it is a retail T1000 you have, and not a BT one.