Sack the software writers, the update is not fit for purpose

andrew1andrew1 Member Posts: 17
edited 26 August 2017, 6:48PM in Feedback
I found the update to be woeful from the minute it fired into it's limpless life, I listed out the very very many problems with it back then and nothing significant has changed.  If anything I am finding more and more problems as I go.  My contract thankfully ran out in July and so I am switching back to SKY.  It is even better news as they now let you select only the sports you want so yes to Rugby without funding the overpaid cry baby footballers.  

The two most recent issues I have found are blocky 8 bit type playbacks of recordings yet I can then go and find that program in catch up and it plays fine.  Also if you stop a film and go back to it, you start from the beginning !!!

I complained to BT and had a long chat with two people who basically said, yeah we know our software is pants but we are doing nothing about it and have no plans or dates as to what we may fix or when.  They then proceeded to close my complaint on the basis they are no going to do anything about it.

The software authors need the sack for this as a minimum.  More so, BT need to refund all of the users for being given a product which quite simply is not fit for purpose.  Clearly the processor of the machine can't handle the pointless fancy graphics and transparencies.  Like a dumb animal staring down the barrel of a gamekeepers gun the software author probably only went so far as to test the graphics on his super duper high spec mac without actually testing it in the field.  

I have tried the full factory reset to no avail.  Time to go.

Comments

• Chris LettsChris Letts Member Posts: 32
    edited 22 July 2017, 11:55AM
    I can understand, and I'm sorry for your frustration, but I find it difficult to understand why some people have so many problems, where others (like myself) don't ! Is it a matter of what box you have rather than the software ?
    I'd still rather stick with BT at much less cost than SKY.
  • andrew1andrew1 Member Posts: 17
    edited 23 July 2017, 8:35PM
    Just called sky and for more channels, more sports that I want (I hate football), Broadband and Phone I will save £8 a month for the next 18 months.  It's a no brainer.  With BT I basically get freeview (which is free) and some sports, i.e. no F1, no Pro12, no golf.  I get more channels just plugging my old satellite cable into the back of the tv.  But hey, we were all given box nation free.  I hate boxing.  

It is strange at why there are problems on some kit and not others.  Surely to god BT would have checked a range of boxes.  I know developers generally do that.  Mine is a DTRT2100.

The arrogance to not roll back is what gets me and nobody should ever be paid for being arrogant and showing no regards for it's paying customers.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 July 2017, 12:43PM
    Lol on your first post. You think picking only rugby means your subs won't go to pay the football rights and hence the footballers (rolls on floor laughing)

Also if you have gone back to Sky you would have to get Sky q, take a look on thier forum for many pages of issues with software, all of which I get first hand and gosh darn they won't stop selling q and go back to just Sky HD ( the arrogance of them)
    If you only like F1, Golf and pro12 I don't understand why you would go for bt and not Sky anyway (scratches head)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 July 2017, 4:03PM
    scott said:

Lol on your first post. You think picking only rugby means your subs won't go to pay the football rights and hence the footballers (rolls on floor laughing)

Also if you have gone back to Sky you would have to get Sky q, take a look on thier forum for many pages of issues with software, all of which I get first hand and gosh darn they won't stop selling q and go back to just Sky HD ( the arrogance of them)
    If you only like F1, Golf and pro12 I don't understand why you would go for bt and not Sky anyway (scratches head)

Yes, I was thinking that too. Why choose a platform and provider that doesn't give you what you want? (also scratches head)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 22 July 2017, 5:55PM
    scott said:

SKY was great when I was with them previously but they kept putting the price up for sports and chanels I didn't want.  Now they have responded and divided up the sports.  If they find people do not choose the football then basic economics will tell them to pay less for it and not charge as much.  Not even GCSE level that one.  Whereas BT keep putting up prices for essentially free tv and a bit of boxing (albeit not the big fights).  You stick with BT, I'll move.  At least I will be rid of the junk which is the youview software update.
    edited 22 July 2017, 6:22PM
    scott said:

"SKY was great when I was with them previously but they kept putting the price up for sports and chanels I didn't want.  Now they have responded and divided up the sports."
    If I were you I'd run through a test quote on their system for the channels and sport you want. You may be surprised...
    edited 24 July 2017, 12:43PM
    scott said:

Basic research will tell you football is the most watched sport by a long way, do you think they pay that much for rights without doing research first .....oh dear..
    BT have premier football, exclusive champions league, moto gp, premier rugby, the next ashes, boxing, speedway, UFC (the biggest fight out there - mcgregor v mayweather), NBA, Indy car, wrc, fa cup, wta and much more, each to thier own
    edited 22 July 2017, 6:33PM
    scott said:

No scott. I was talking about the price. As posted by SKY users (like yourself) the cost of SKY splitting their sports channels up is eye watering if one doesn't take the full package. And if one wants to take HD, one first needs to subscribe to the box sets bundle to do it. Then they can get to the HD sports channels.
    Smoke and mirrors...
    edited 22 July 2017, 6:53PM
    scott said:

Visionman I was writing my comment to Andrew I didn't see yours as you might tell by the posting time, crossed replies :-)
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 22 July 2017, 7:06PM
    scott said:

Hope your move to Sky goes ok Andrew don't let Doom and Gloom put you off , if it's a better offer and suits your personal needs it's worth trying out you can always switch back if it's not for you.
    edited 22 July 2017, 7:10PM
    scott said:

I have been on the phone with them today and I will save £8 a month to get the sports and tv I want compared to BT.  Also I won't have to suffer the youview software update.  SKY are well aware of the BT software problems as they asked me about it before I had even mentioned it to them.  It seems that BT need to hurry to sort out the problems.  Whilst a business will always have die hards who will put up with anything, most sensible people move to get the customer care and service they are paying for.  After all regardless of who you are with it is not a small amount of money per year.

It's a shame the forum seems to attract people wanting to dismiss anyone who is pissed off with the update because by defending the software problems those people are essentially prolonging the life of those problems.  

I am quite sure SKY will put the price up over time just as BT have and at which point I will move again, fingers crossed BT or whoever provide a fit for purpose service.  At this moment in time the BT youview software update is not fit for purpose.
    edited 22 July 2017, 7:17PM
    scott said:

@David
    Agree. Its all down to personal choice, and what one wants and is willing to pay.
    BT don't have an agreement with SKY to show their full suite of sports, only Prem football.
    So if one wants SKYs full suite of sports, its madness to sign up with BT.
    TalkTalk, Virgin or SKY would be the only options.
    edited 22 July 2017, 7:20PM
    scott said:

The forum has lots of people that will agree with the plain facts. The software update needs fixing there is no doubt about that but people that just come on saying I have moved to Sky and everything is cheap and fantastic are not giving the truth to other members and will get told so. No system is perfect and everything is personal choice.
    edited 22 July 2017, 7:25PM
    scott said:

Yet people who claim they have moved to or will be moving to paradise and then get challenged on it, claim they are being attacked by fanboys. Not good. :( 
    edited 22 July 2017, 7:27PM
    scott said:

Cheers David, the daft thing is I would not have gone looking elsewhere had the software not been so bad.  In fact had there been an attitude of we are going to sort this and we can't apologise enough I would even have accepted that.  But the defense of the software and especially the two calls with BT this week where they simply said it is what it is we have no plans to sort it, then I had to look elsewhere.  As it happens if falls at a good time with SKY splitting up their sports packages and it saves me money.  
    edited 22 July 2017, 7:33PM
    scott said:

I have a bill from BT which is £8 more than the quote from SKY.  That is not a fabrication or lie.  I am not taking movies nor all the sports and that matches my BT package bar the specific sports I get.  I came to BT as SKY just decided to charge more and offer nothing extra.  That was unacceptable.  I decided to put up with only having F1 live for some of the races and aviva rugby almost made up for the loss of the pro12.  But the software is woefull and attitude of BT is indefensible.  If I had delivered to my clients something that worked so badly and created such a huge backlash, I would have to involve my insurers to pay out to the client and I would probably lose my business.  Fingers crossed for you all that BT sort it out.
    edited 22 July 2017, 7:45PM
    scott said:

I know for a fact BT haven't said they are not going to fix it or sort it, as all platforms are going get all the missing features back. Time is the only factor (though hopefully that will be short). Good luck with your move, Andrew. Glad you got it cheaper and for what you want to watch. :)
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 300 ✭✭
    edited 23 July 2017, 2:53AM
    scott said:

VM, you know for a fact that "all platforms are going get [sic] all the missing features back"?

You yet again appear to be better informed than many of the rest of us. Are you saying you have it on good authority that, for example, the mini-screen will return to the EPG? That is one missing feature that I've sorely missed and not seen any mention of its return.

Also, you say that the time factor hopefully will be short. Well, it's now over 8 months since the launch of NextGen. There has been very little to shout about in "improvements" since its initial release.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 July 2017, 8:34PM
    scott said:

Personally I would be amazed if 'all missing/lost features are to be restored/returned over time'. I might like to think 'many' would be restored. Visible progress to date (after 8 months) would suggest even that may be wishful thinking although surely further things will appear between now and Christmas.

Of the various issues and lost functionality listed, so far only a few have been (partially) addressed. Beyond that we have seen clear statement that
    • channel hiding (presumably with a better unhide function too)
    • action panels
    • discover
    are all due to return. That has been known for a few months now but still no particular sign, and hence confidence, that they will land any time soon.

There has then been mention of voice control via Alexa being worked on which would be a new feature. One might optimistically hope such interaction with Amazon could mean other Amazon related activity and thus perhaps Amazon Prime Video might turn up one day (although people have been hoping for that for years so perhaps it will be some time yet).

Features that one might expect to be relatively straight forward to enhance or add back include:
    • jump to specific minute in recording
    • faster fast forward speeds
    • option to not show the main menu on startup
    • reduce the duration and quantity of unnecessary mist/shadow at the top and bottom of the screen when the playback bar appears
    • wrap around from first to last recording in a series roll up
    • wrap around from first to last EPG channels
    The likelihood of seeing a mini-TV in the EPG seem low. An option to have lists in MyTV remains doubtful even though it would be good both for accessibility needs and some user preference.

I could go on but that is probably enough for now ;-)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,297 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 July 2017, 8:36PM
    scott said:

Visionman often appears so :-)

But yes, many missing features are coming back.

All by Christmas, apparently - though YouView have not specified the Christmas of which year :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 July 2017, 1:24PM
    scott said:

The problem I could see with a wrap around feature for large series recordings is people getting hopelessly lost as they unknowingly go round in circles looking for a particular episode. I have a series folder with over 220 recordings, some of which have been added to on the second rerun of the series, so some episodes aren't in a linear chronology. Its a nightmare to navigate. Scrolling time alone takes well over a minute to get from one end to the other.

A better solution in IMO would be to introduce season/series shortcuts as is implemented in Youview search results. It would eliminate they need to scroll through so many episodes, and also serve to place the episodes in series order, in a linear progression, irrespective of the date recorded.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 July 2017, 1:23PM
    scott said:

The problem I could see with a wrap around feature for large series recordings is people getting hopelessly lost as they unknowingly go round in circles looking for a particular episode. I have a series folder with over 220 recordings, some of which have been added to on the second rerun of the series, so some episodes aren't in a linear chronology. Its a nightmare to navigate. Scrolling time alone takes well over a minute to get from one end to the other.

A better solution in IMO would be to introduce season/series shortcuts as is implemented in Youview search results. It would eliminate they need to scroll through so many episodes, and also serve to place the episodes in series order, in a linear progression.
    edited 23 July 2017, 2:44PM
    scott said:

My apologies, I shouldn't have said "all". I should have said "many".
    In regard to skiller's point on the mini TV (PiP), a form of it is already here, by hitting the left or right arrow key whilst watching any live channel. From there one can press up or down, or input a channel number directly. Though I know many don't like the feature and don't view it as a substitute.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,297 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 July 2017, 3:57PM
    scott said:

Yes, we want it as a way of maintaining continuity of what we are watching while we see what we might like to watch next, or set to record, on the EPG.

The miniguide doesn't quite cut it for that.

What I do now is use the YouView app on one of my iThingys.
    Gives me the Guide, and lets me set recordings, unless for a programme whose start is almost upon us.

If you can't have a mini TV, have a mini EPG instead, I always say :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Carrot CruncherCarrot Cruncher Member Posts: 5
    edited 10 August 2017, 12:58AM
    I agree mine is going on eBay tomorrow, the update is disgusting and it wasnt even optional, if it was the states a class action law suit would be in order, either way I have had enough, I will never buy a youview product again.
    edited 23 July 2017, 8:51PM

I agree mine is going on eBay tomorrow, the update is disgusting and it wasnt even optional, if it was the states a class action law suit would be in order, either way I have had enough, I will never buy a youview product again.

"states a class action law suit would be in order."
    Go on then.
    edited 25 July 2017, 11:02AM
    The new-look BT TV mini guide

I call the above the mini guide. Though Stephens told me thats not correct.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 July 2017, 5:32PM
    Visionman said:

No, you're correct, that is the miniguide
    edited 24 July 2017, 5:41PM
    Visionman said:

HaHa! Thanks for that.  :)
    Personally, I find it a useful quick reference tool without losing the picture. And the response time is instantaneous. 
    So which feature is the 'mini tiles'?
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 July 2017, 5:42PM
    Visionman said:

I'm not sure, that's not an official name for any particular section or screen, could refer to the changeable tiles you get in the main menu I guess. Or could broadly refer to anything!