Hide Channels

VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭
edited 30 September 2017, 12:27AM in Support
So Edit Channels has been confirmed as being in early testing. This is the new name for Hide Channels.
There are comments all over the place about this, so I've started this dedicated thread about it.
Post away. :)
I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.

Comments

• SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited 5 August 2017, 5:16PM
    No takers?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 August 2017, 6:10PM
    Apparently not....  
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 August 2017, 8:51PM
    Mphph.....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 300 ✭✭
    edited 6 August 2017, 2:59AM
    If the new functionality is just to be able to hide or unhide channels, then "Hide Channels" is a better name than "Edit Channels".

If they are to introduce further editing facilities to the channel list, such as channel ordering/numbering/renaming, then "Edit Channels" is better.

I would expect any hidden channel to behave as if it did not exist at all when switching channels. In other words, I would expect it to be skipped over when pressing the channel up/down buttons and not appear when the channel number is entered.

There should be an option to include or exclude Hidden Channels in Search results. This could sit alongside other options to include or exclude results from Now TV, Netflix etc. (I know this sort of thing has been suggested a million times before!)

It gets more complicated when you consider Recordings and Scheduled Recordings from hidden channels. I'm not sure what I would like to see happen here. I need to have a proper think!
    edited 6 August 2017, 1:28PM
    My take on it is that when a channel is Hidden, it should be treated as if it the box had just been retuned and this channel had disappeared.

With the one exception that in Edit Channels itself, it will appear so that it can be unhidden if required.

So prior Recordings will remain present and intact.

I've no idea what happens to Schedule entries, but that could be the same as if the channel vanished on retuning (and Unhide doing what would happen if a channel had returned after a further retune) so that would be the precedent.

Entering its channel number from the remote should be like entering any non-existent channel number - the next higher channel will be shown.

Search should stay 'clean' as now, and simply be no more open to showing Hidden Channel results than it is to showing results from channels you can't tune in to.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 6 August 2017, 10:25AM
    Roy1 said:

My take on it is that when a channel is Hidden, it should be treated as if it the box had just been retuned and this channel had disappeared.

With the one exception that in Edit Channels itself, it will appear so that it can be unhidden if required.

I've no idea what happens to Schedule entries, but that could be the same as if the channel vanished on retuning (and Unhide doing what would happen if a channel had returned after a further retune) so that would be the precedent.

Entering its channel number from the remote should be like entering any non-existent channel number - the next higher channel will be shown.

Search should stay 'clean' as now, and simply be no more open to showing Hidden Channel results than it is to showing results from channels you can't tune in to.

For hidding channels the youview software could have mapped the LCN being hidden to just the service ids instead of what appears to be a combination of the LCN and the service ids.  That would have resulted in the last retune not causing channels to become unhidden.  The reason youview probably didn't code it like that but instead used both the LCN and the service ids was that way would not have been better in all circumstances and sometimes it would not have been so obvious why channels had reappeared.

Scheduled entries don't work off the LCNs.  They work of the event ids which are not for user display. (CRIDs are also involved with series schedules to obtain the event ids that need recording but ultimately it is the event id that is used.)
    edited 6 August 2017, 11:29AM
    Roy1 said:

So Channels became unhidden when they changed LCN, even though they kept the same service id (as long as they didn't also change mux that day, as some did, in an unrelated way), even though YouView assured us they wouldn't?

(I didn't have any hidden, so I can't check this for myself)

And I understand what you are saying about scheduled recordings and event ids.

Since if LCNs were involved, you wouldn't get, say, your scheduled Homes Under the Hammer when it is kicked onto BBC2 to make way for the Trooping of the Colour on BBC1, or whatever.

But the box does know what LCN it has recorded on, as this shows up when you watch the recording. And also the service id, presumably, and it knows these at the time of the recording, also presumably, and so could inhibit the recording of any scheduled programme that showed up on a Hidden channel?

But not if it was rescheduled on an UnHidden one, presumably.....

As skiller says, tricky.

But all taken care of in CurrentGen, so presumably, all to be taken care of the same way in NextGen.
    edited 6 August 2017, 2:25PM
    I agree with skiller -
    "If the new functionality is just to be able to hide or unhide channels, then "Hide Channels" is a better name than "Edit Channels"."
    Because -
    "If they are to introduce further editing facilities to the channel list, such as channel ordering/numbering/renaming, then "Edit Channels" is better."
    Which they're not and never will.
    Just keep it simple. kiss...
  • PhilStationPhilStation Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited 3 September 2017, 7:17PM
    Hopefully this feature will be rolled out soon and as suggested above, will also ensure programmes are hidden from search results.

I recently moved to Plusnet after Vodafone hiked their prices mid-contract and everytime I search for something, I get results for Channels I do not subscribe to which is annoying as I then have to search through all the **** to find what I'm looking for. 

This can't come soon enough, with the recent re-tune, my guide is an absolute mess. 
  • Graham LeesGraham Lees Member Posts: 5
    edited 30 September 2017, 12:27AM
    Edit channels or hide them, whatever they call it, just make it happen ! It's a huge step backwards  having to wade through all the rubbish to find the channels you like to watch.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 September 2017, 7:40PM

Edit channels or hide them, whatever they call it, just make it happen ! It's a huge step backwards  having to wade through all the rubbish to find the channels you like to watch.

You must have missed all the other threads and posts welcoming the new edit channels function? It may not have reached your model of box yet though, you can check here: https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions
  • dreamtimedreamtime Member Posts: 205
    edited 3 September 2017, 8:00PM

But it's only edited in the epg. Lol. They are not hidden at all.
    edited 3 September 2017, 8:03PM

They are hidden in the EPG. Lol. Now go and open your Spam somewhere else.
    edited 3 September 2017, 8:06PM

Only in the epg. Not hidden anywhere else. As I stated in the last post. Try using up and down channels and you will see.
    edited 3 September 2017, 8:18PM

Stop confusing redchiz with the facts, William :-)
  • Graham LeesGraham Lees Member Posts: 5
    edited 3 September 2017, 8:54PM

Thanks for the info. I arrived here via a Google search so am a newbie on the forum and hence late to the party on the new Edit Channel function. I just checked and am on the latest update for my T2200 box but can't find Edit Channel. I also did a search on the forum and the last reference I can find is 4 weeks ago from Sarah, saying that it is in the early stages of testing. Could you please post a link if there is anything further ? Cheers. 
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 September 2017, 9:22AM

This is the update, but it hasn't been released for your box yet.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/humax-software-update-28-35-0
    edited 3 September 2017, 10:19PM

Not confused at all Roy, it seems to be you?
    edited 3 September 2017, 10:43PM

Nope. My only confusion is that you seem to think I might be confused :-)
    edited 3 September 2017, 10:43PM

Its only in the EPG for now. And its better than nothing.
    edited 3 September 2017, 10:42PM

I said that some posts ago but redchiz was confused.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 3 September 2017, 10:45PM

As has been said they are only hidden in the epg. If you scroll through the channels they are still there. This is only the first step to reinstating the full functionality that we had with Old Gen. They are 'edited' out of the epg but they are not actually 'hidden'.
    edited 3 September 2017, 10:47PM

Spot on Robert. I don't quite grasp why others are so confused.
    edited 3 September 2017, 10:59PM

Now I'm confused. Robert Liked my posting above, twice.

Thank you very much, Robert, but that shouldn't be possible :-)
    edited 3 September 2017, 11:05PM

That is strange. I definitely only 'liked' it once LOL. I also liked Williams post but had to press the button 3 times for it to register. There must be gremlins at play. If I hit the number 2 at Roy's post it states "you and one other person liked this" but it shows my name twice LOL.
    edited 3 September 2017, 11:33PM

Whats strange is all these snarks at everyone. Totally childish.
    edited 4 September 2017, 12:18AM

Would I be right in assuming that wasn't directed at me Visionman? Reading through the thread I'm hedging my bets it isnt.
    edited 4 September 2017, 9:09AM

No it wasn't, Robert. Have a like.
    Edit - or 2. Awful forum software... :(
    edited 4 September 2017, 7:04AM

Amen to that. And you can't even tell them that any more :-(
    edited 4 September 2017, 9:10AM

Thanks Visionman. Have a nice big like back at you.