BT are not my ISP but I have 27.5 software how do I get back to Humax retail software on a newer rel

EastononeEastonone Posts: 7Member
edited 11 August 2017, 9:54PM in Support

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,344Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 August 2017, 7:37AM
    Looking at this page:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

and checking on your box, what model is it?

I would assume it is a 'BT Retail' version, probably branded with a BT logo?

In which case, no matter who your ISP is, the updates are controlled by who the box came from originally, presumably BT, and you are beholden to them for updates to it, as laid out on that schedule in the link as amended from time to time, for the life of the box :-(
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • EastononeEastonone Posts: 7Member
    edited 8 August 2017, 10:53AM
    Hi Roy it's a HUMAX DTR-T2000 purchased from Curry PC World 21/5/2016. I would therefore classify myself as a HUMAX retails customer.
    My broadband is supplied over line of site radio at roughly 30 Mbps synchronous. The only BT involvement is the use of a 21CN tail to the transmitting mast by ISP ZEN internet who are the core provider.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 307Member
    edited 8 August 2017, 12:13PM
    27.50.0 was also the version number for the DTR-T2000 releases.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/humax-software-update-27-50-0

It contains youview core software 3.1.156 which is adaptive depending on your isp.  If you have BT as your ISP then it'll look like a BT version, and if you don't have a youview ISP then it will look retail.  When it comes to the core software there is not any difference between retail and non-retail as it is self adapting. 
    For any given core software version the computer code between retail and BT is identical.  This means that if BT did somehow update your box then updating it to a retail sourced version would leave you with an exactly identical box.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,513Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 9:54PM
    Eastonone>
    "Hi Roy it's a HUMAX DTR-T2000 purchased from Curry PC World 21/5/2016. I would therefore classify myself as a HUMAX retails customer."
    Hi Eastonone, if you have a DTR-T2000 then it is a retail box on Retail updates, so if I may, why have you mentioned BT?
  • PhilStationPhilStation Posts: 87Member
    edited 8 August 2017, 9:37PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>
    "Hi Roy it's a HUMAX DTR-T2000 purchased from Curry PC World 21/5/2016. I would therefore classify myself as a HUMAX retails customer."
    Hi Eastonone, if you have a DTR-T2000 then it is a retail box on Retail updates, so if I may, why have you mentioned BT?

I get the impression they means they have the BT branded UI.

Feature wise, for all intents and purposes, it should be the same, other than the branding and perhaps waiting a matter of a few weeks longer for updates to hit your box.

That said, with the inability to hide channels, it is annoying that all the IP channels now show in the guide with no (current) way of hiding them. I'm a Plusnet customer running a DTR-T4000 and it annoys the hell out of me, more so since the recent re-tune as my channel list is now a complete mess and full of nonsense. 
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:02AM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Eastonone said in his/her title 'BT are not my ISP'.

And even if they were, this would have no bearing on whether a retail T2000 would update or not.

Eastonone, is your box connected to the internet, and left, at least in Standby, overnight?

Who is your ISP, by the way?

I suggest you try a manual Software Update, in Settings, and report back the results,
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:10AM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

They may not be but BT/Openreach provide the 21cn tail.

Perhaps it is a quirk of this particular setup which is hardly a typical one.

He says "get back to" which I took as implying his box had the appearance of retail previously. Otherwise, why mention BT at all? Surely the issue would then simply be, "why won't my box update"?
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:25AM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Ah, I see Eastonone said the ISP was Zen.

PhilStation, everyone uses an Openreach circuit, or part of one, don't they, unless they are on Virgin cable or KT in Hull, the only truly independent suppliers apart from Overreach?

I think your line has to terminate at BT's servers, and you be paying BT for a subscription, before they can infest your YouView box with their unwanted offerings.

As to how Eastonone phrased their question, you raise a valid point, which I hope Eastonone can explain, as it may well be an oblique clue to the problem, or an indicator that things are not quite what they seem.

Though I wish I had a quid for every oddly phrased question on here :-)
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:31AM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Hi Roy,

Living in a new build, I unfortunately understand the full extent of the BT / Openreach in the network... I just wondered if in this particular instance, it was confusing the box because of the set-up. Either way, hopefully OP can clarify and people can then provide some assistance.

If it is the skin, that would annoy me, it already annoys me that there is a BT logo on the front of my box but when it was so much cheaper than retail, how could I argue! Still, that's just me and my distain of BT...
    edited 9 August 2017, 1:02PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Some news and a clarification.
    Firstly I was trying to make clear that the BT 21CN network is used as transit between the ZEN network and the transmission mast of my point to point link and there is no connection to any BT server involved. Tail is shorthand phrase for this sort of circuit which is as you say commonly used due to the Openreach (BT) monopoly that we suffer from in the UK. Apologies for any confusion.
    On a slightly positive note I was working on old information that BT hadn't upgraded beyond 27.5 but Humax had and assumed (I am told wrongly) that the lack of automatic update to a higher version was because BT users lagged Humax retail.
    I am told by youview that my box is stuck and a factory reset including loss of all data is the only possible fix. So my mind is obviously turning to whether the improvements(?) in newer releases are worth the loss of programming?
    edited 9 August 2017, 2:23PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

First a clarification from me: When I said a BT subscription before they could infest your box, I meant an ISP one; they don't need, alas, a BT TV subscription to infest it :-(

OK - so, Eastonone, you don't have a BT skin on your box, hopefully?

And did YouView support discuss with you trying the Maintenance Mode options 2 and/or 4, which keep your recordings?
    edited 9 August 2017, 6:03PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Hi Roy
    They did not offer any other option than option 3 as I they will have seen from their records that they advised me to use option 2 in July. I wasn't overly impressed when on asking the agent why opt for this particular course of action he basically said "coz the agent next to him had said so". What option 2 have already done everything option 2 can do?
    I am pleased to report no BT skin!
    edited 9 August 2017, 7:38PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Your problem is nothing to do with BT. Its also nothing to do with the 21 Content Connect Network (21CN). Its your box thats fluffed and stalled. Follow Roys advice, he knows what hes talking about. Perform an MM2, then if that doesn't work, an MM4. An MM2 is always used as a last resort, not the first.
  • StephenStephen Posts: 644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 August 2017, 7:49PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Were you having the same branding problem in July or something unrelated? Option one is all that should be required to forcefully re-trigger the configuration from scratch of your ISP, so if you were advised to do anything more severe than that then I can only apologise and try to let the advisors know for similar queries in future.
    edited 9 August 2017, 9:13PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

I think the following:-

(i ) It's not a branding problem and it's not a BT box.
    (ii) The problem is thIs retail box won't update its software to the latest retail version.
    (iii) Eastonone, you still haven't told us if you have tried a manual software update, or what happens if you do.

At this point, I would:-

Try an MM Option 4.
    If that will not run, try an MM Option 2.
    If that runs, then try an MM Option 4.

An Option 4 will bring down the new software, which an Option 2 won't.

Option 2 has its place, but it is not here.

I see no merit in Option 3, except in the event that you have no internet connectivity, and you have disc corruption.

If 2 and 4 don't work, or do 'work' but you don't get the latest release, Option 5, the same as the Factory Reset in the Settings Menu, is your last-ditch hope for straightening out the software on a box whose hardware is working OK.

As most T2000s should be.

So this is, I think, a situation where something more than an option 1 may be called for

But I would never recommend an option that deletes recordings (3, 5) until all the options that keep them (1. 2, 4) have been tried; and if it is indeed the case that the advisors have recommended a 3 without a 4 having been tried, then I would deprecate this as a suggestion.
    edited 10 August 2017, 12:37PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Roy this looks like sound advice I will try option 4 and then 5. Many thanks!
    edited 11 August 2017, 5:38PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Update - Option 4 upgraded to 28.35.0 at the first attempt and all my content is intact Thank You! from past experience it  needs a bit of time for various services to start working but subjectively it is better. My only remaining gripe is its seeming inability to download the images it needs for its tiles and improve its access to catchup services.
    edited 11 August 2017, 6:51PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Press and hold the power button on the box for 8 seconds and it will sort reboot (with no loss of recordings).
    edited 11 August 2017, 9:54PM
    Visionman said:

Eastonone>

Fix for slowness was to change primary dns server to google (8.8.8.8). Suddenly all players work and all tiles are populated almost instantaneously. The clue was that the DNS packets weren't returning for some reason best known to ZEN so substituting the google DNS service resolved the problem. I can't believe that everything is working as it should!