[Discussion] Humax software update 28.35.0

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August 2017, 6:46AM

Fantastic news.

There are plenty more little niggles that I have with the CurrentGen firmware, but visually, it is vastly more appealing than OldGen and feature wise it is getting there, slowly...

This does however go some way to fixing what was a huge annoyance for me. Especially since moving to PlusNet and the IP channel appearing in my guide. 

Now introduce wrap around browsing into my newly slimmed down guide and it'll be even better!

Daniel, you can press the Yellow button at any time you are in the EPG, not just on BBC1 SD, to get to the filters.

So please don't be greedy about wanting to reserve yet another button press for this, when there are those who want it to do what it always used to do, and wrap around back to the high channels.

Particularly for us, who have a choice of ITV regions, with one on 3, and one that used to be one button push on the wraparound we had.

Now we have to invoke the miniguide and wrap from there - at least 3 button presses instead of one :-(

YouView, please restore this use of Up Arrow from BBC1 SD on the EPG; anyone who wants filters has a whole special button for this, and doesn't need an extra one 'stolen' from wraparound.
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
    edited 10 August 2017, 3:41PM
    redchiz said:

I might be being dim here, but why is something you search for appearing on an otherwise hidden channel be such an annoyance?

This is the same annoyance you get with NowTV movies when you are looking for something to watch, and what you can have is swamped by stuff you can't, not without a fat subscription anyway.
    edited 10 August 2017, 3:34PM
    redchiz said:

I might be being dim here, but why is something you search for appearing on an otherwise hidden channel be such an annoyance?

This is the same annoyance you get with NowTV movies when you are looking for something to watch, and what you can have is swamped by stuff you cant, not without a fat subscription anyway.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 August 2017, 3:36PM
    redchiz said:

It's not new though, is it? I mean not a newly-introduced annoyance for those who find it so?
  • PhilStationPhilStation Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited 10 August 2017, 3:41PM
    redchiz said:

Perhaps not, it's new to me in the sense that I have just moved to a broadband provider that provides IP channels.

In OldGen, did hiding channels not also hide the programmes from search results? If so that would have solved the problem in any event.
    edited 10 August 2017, 3:44PM
    redchiz said:

No it didn't, in fact that was sometimes used as a welcome workaround when one wanted to restore a group of IP channels as opposed to unhiding everything, which was the only other option.
    edited 10 August 2017, 3:45PM
    redchiz said:

No it didn't, in fact that was sometimes used as a welcome workaround when one wanted to restore certain IP channels as opposed to unhiding everything, which was the only other option.
    edited 10 August 2017, 3:48PM
    redchiz said:

Shame, maybe freeview play is the answer, I don't want paytv rammed down my throat, but I also want a good deal on my broadband.
    edited 10 August 2017, 3:51PM
    redchiz said:

I'm not sure I see the connection? You can get Freeview Play with any ISP, same as YouView.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 August 2017, 4:30PM
    Visionman said:

It should be noted this new 'Edit Channels' feature is to hide channels IN THE GUIDE ONLY.
    But the ability to unhide an individual channel (and not the lot) is a big improvement and a massive step forward for this returning feature.

Care to enlighten me lol ?
    edited 11 August 2017, 7:10PM
    Visionman said:

It should be noted this new 'Edit Channels' feature is to hide channels IN THE GUIDE ONLY.
    But the ability to unhide an individual channel (and not the lot) is a big improvement and a massive step forward for this returning feature.

I think he was paraphrasing the song to reflect the new change: love your hide (channels). Which I may have partly provoked by my there/their comment? Sorry.

Anyway here's an excellent cover by their number one fan band:

• DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 August 2017, 4:42PM

Fantastic news.

There are plenty more little niggles that I have with the CurrentGen firmware, but visually, it is vastly more appealing than OldGen and feature wise it is getting there, slowly...

This does however go some way to fixing what was a huge annoyance for me. Especially since moving to PlusNet and the IP channel appearing in my guide. 

Now introduce wrap around browsing into my newly slimmed down guide and it'll be even better!

I appreciate your opinion Roy to be honest I use this was to access the filters now because more than anything I got used to it as it's been implemented for a while now. Personally I understand people want wrap around in the EPG and I'm not against it per say and it's not about been greedy. I have got used to it as it is now. What I would like is a option in the settings to switch wrap around on or off then the user can make their own choice in the settings. It remains to be seen if it will go down like that or not however.

I'm more against it if it's not implemented correctly.
    edited 11 August 2017, 7:11PM

Sold mine today, it had to go, the latest new gen is hideous and has been stripped of features the box had when I bought it and I was given no choice in the matter, to continue with youview after that is just not kosher, the lack of regard for customers feelings is disgusting, good bye youview sorry it had to end this way but I cant let you treat me that way, if I do you will think you got away with it and you would be right ! 

Surely anyone who has acquired a YouView box in recent months will not be aware of anything other than NextGen, unless they came here specifically seeking out nay-sayers, which would be a good plot for a Netflix series.
    edited 12 August 2017, 8:48AM
    redchiz said:

I like youview as a platform but as a retail customer. I don't want IP channels shoved in my face as part of my retail experience so I have a choice, change broadband provider or change my set top box. The later being the far more sensible option financially.

I had hoped the restoration of hide channels would eliminate my issues with the IP channels but it does not appear that it will.
  • Hubble DelixHubble Delix Member Posts: 4
    edited 10 August 2017, 5:40PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

But when do BT Boxes get this ?

Hooray! We can finally get a list view back!! Wait, what do you mean, no list view?
    AAAARRRGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!! (Smashes head reapeatedly against the table and once again tries to explain to the wife she has to move the frame thingy around the pretty pictures)
    edited 10 August 2017, 5:44PM
    redchiz said:

OK, but it never did with the search function, so just to confirm, nothing new. And personally I don't regard simple visibility as rammed down my throat/shoved in my face, but each to their own. And if you aren't with BT/Plusnet or TalkTalk as a retail user then you won't get it anyway.
    edited 10 August 2017, 5:48PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

Wow, are you sure you are on the right topic, never mind the right forum? We are talking about a TV box here. Seriously, get a sense of perspective.
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:00AM
    redchiz said:

I was never aware of whether it did or not because I was not with a provider of IP channels until this month. I suppose I never noticed the search results on old gen because the shopping channels I had hidden were never likely to infiltrate my search results with something I actually wanted to watch.I pay £16 a month for fibre broadband, I'm not getting a better deal than that so leaving Plusnet is not really an option. Leaving youview on the other hand...
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:00AM
    redchiz said:

OK, try and moderate your language though.
    edited 11 August 2017, 3:40PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

No need to be rude, it's like a bloody old boys club round here sometimes.
    edited 10 August 2017, 5:51PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

???
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 August 2017, 6:39PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

Hi PhilStation. Its like I said further down the thread...
    The box is still missing many features and as such can still be frustrating. But I believe this returning feature is cause for optimism. :) 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Hubble DelixHubble Delix Member Posts: 4
    edited 10 August 2017, 10:55PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

Oh sorry, I thought this was a topic about the latest software update for my youview box, and how it's going to improve on my user experience. 
    edited 10 August 2017, 6:46PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

If you had read the opening post and clicked on the link you would have seen what this update has addressed. It still won't make the tea, iron your shirts, or kiss you goodnight, but that's for another topic rather than the one relating to this particular update?
    edited 10 August 2017, 6:52PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

I believe Hubble Delix was just voicing his frustration, is that against the rules?
    edited 10 August 2017, 6:57PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

Not at all, but frustration at what? There are rules, quite gentle, but they do suggest that you stay roughly on topic. We are actually quite a self-regulating community. Although baiting in response to other people's posts, as you have done to mine, is generally dealt with in short shrift. Which is a shame, because I thought we had quite a decent conversation earlier.

Now, if you truly believe that the latest YouView software update can lead to self-harm then I suggest you follow Hubble Delix into the inevitable black hole where that kind of contribution ends.
    edited 10 August 2017, 7:04PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

He was expressing frustration with the content of the update, how is that not on topic? There was no need to be condescending which is exactly what you were with your initial response.

I will leave this now and hope you choose to do the same.
    edited 10 August 2017, 7:05PM
    Ursa said:

Getting there !

The update that was specifically designed to address a specific issue and not a zillion others that we may all have wished for? OK. 'Bye.
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited 10 August 2017, 7:14PM
    Visionman said:

Hide channels is what everyones been shouting for.

"Hide channels is what everyones been shouting for."

In which parallel universe?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 August 2017, 7:19PM
    Keith1 said:

It is great to see the hide channels feature back, plus the addition of easy unhiding too :)

Now I wonder when BT will decide this update should start pushing to 'their' boxes (and of course TalkTalk Huawei boxes need this asap too).

Keith>
    It is great to see the hide channels feature back, plus the addition of easy unhiding too :)
    Indeed so. The additional feature of being able to unhide 1 channel only is a massive step forward.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.